Game 33: Nats at Reds

May 12, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT

Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper, who cut himself last night, is playing again tonight.

This being the apex of hockey season and all, we should be accustomed to professional athletes playing hurt, even if it means playing with 10 stitches above your eye. Yet because we're talking about baseball, not hockey, it is somewhat surprising to see Bryce Harper back in the Nationals' lineup, one night after he suffered a severe cut above his eye upon slamming his bat against a dugout wall and having it ricochet back at his face.

Nobody's ever accused the 19-year-old of being soft, though at the moment the bigger concern might be that he's cold at the plate. Harper has just one hit in his last 13 at-bats and has seen his batting average plummet to .233. Perhaps he can get things going again tonight against Reds right-hander Mat Latos.

Latos will be opposed by Jordan Zimmermann, looking to earn his much-deserved second win of the season, even though all six out of his outings to date have been quality starts.

As you know, I'm not in Cincinnati, so please enjoy the game and the conversation. And remember, no matter how frustrated you get, it's never a good idea to slam your bat on the dugout wall…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 89
Weather: Cloudy, 73 degrees, Wind 2 mph out to RF

SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
1B Adam LaRoche

1. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM

They are not showing Davey's presser on MASN, but here is Amanda from Twitter:Davey on Wilson Ramos: "I don't know how bad it is but I have a bad feeling he tore something in there." #nats have a move in progress

2. rdexposfan - May 13, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Amanda Comak ‏ @acomakDavey on Wilson Ramos: "I don't know how bad it is but I have a bad feeling he tore something in there." #nats have a move in progress.Ramos has gone for an MRI

3. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Yeah, Natslady – Ray Knight totally throwing the pitcher under the bus. Bo Porter was standing inches from him the entire time. Cheap junk, there, Ray.

4. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Got tired of waiting for info on the postgame. Hope it's not bad but it didn't look good.At any rate, nice to take a series at the Reds (thumps chest). Also, I thought maybe Danny was wanting to steal bases for the cycle for a while there. Nice game, kid.

5. sjm308 - May 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

So, is it Leon or Maldonado?

6. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

@Jane: Davey sez Moose doesn't look good "and he definitely tore something." Be out for awhile.Grandpa Davey looked like he'd just been hit by a truck while he was talking.

7. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Dang.

8. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Davey looks about ready to cry talking about "Willie." I pray to God Wilson will come through this.

9. Doc - May 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Bam Bam still has his left eye–he's lucky!Reds TV guys kept saying how JFlo is the Nats' better defensive C. Guess he'll have to be the better offensive C for a while, too!Lerners should consider buying a hospital!

10. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Me, too, NatsLady.

11. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Davey won't say. Said they need to get ahold of the people involved. Hopes to have someone here by game time tomorrow but won't make any announcement.Said JZ's 7th inning won the game, said JZ pitched great when he was tired. Called Ramos one of the top catchers in the game. Complimented Espi. Never saw a sadder man after a win.

12. Cwj - May 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM

What did Ray Knight say? I missed that…I do know that sometimes he focuses on a single minor issue after a win. Kinda strange.

13. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Talk about looking old – I know Ray Knight has been sick , but he looks terrible. I know I feel like I age more quickly with each one of these one -run games — which feels like all of them. It was nice to get the win, but losing Ramos is just another blow.

14. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM

By the way – early game tommorrow – how do you get a catcher there by game time? Drive all night?

15. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Ray Knight got out a base and did a long "demo" of how to tag a base when a fly ball is hit, etc. etc. I figure he was just passing the time until video of Davey's presser was available, but it was not a pretty picture. He was out of breath just stepping a few feet.

16. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Also the Espi haters. :-)Cwj said… Wow! That'll shut up the Henry haters! :-D Go Nats! May 12, 2012 10:21 PM

17. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I must follow the wrong people on Twitter. All Caps. No Wilson.

18. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I'm not seeing anything new either, Jane. Heading to bed now and hoping for the best.

19. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Also didn't get to,the newer, post 200 comment comments.If Davey is lookimg sick, he is sick. So am I now.I hope Wilson is a fast and graceful healer. What a horrible year for him.

20. Cwj - May 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM

NatsLady- Oh ok thanks. I like Ray, but he can be a little odd sometimes.Natsfan- Very true. Danny looks to be heating up.Goo dnight everyone :-)

21. Cwj - May 13, 2012 at 3:03 AM

*Good night, I meant :D

22. Tom in AR - May 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Looks like Sandy Leon is the hottest catcher in the system right now. And Solano is currently on the DL.

23. Marty - May 13, 2012 at 3:13 AM

24. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 3:13 AM

how can we possibly contend without all these players? With Zimm not pulling his weight and Harper seems to have hit a wall, our offense is completely reliant on Adam and couple of hot hitters.

25. peric - May 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM

So, is it Leon or Maldonado?Not a complete question?Solano is still on the 7 day DL yet he is the only one on the 40-man roster. They're going to have to start moving some players who are the 15 day to the 60 day DL. Both are hitting. Leon is actually hitting better than Maldonado. Neither is on the 40-man so some big moves may be coming. This might put the kibosh on the rumored trade talks. My guess is its Sandy Leon. He's better than Ramos, Flores, Maldonado, and Solan defensively. He's a switch hitter and their top catching prospect with the trade of Derrick Norris.

26. Marty - May 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Free Pudge ;)I had not seen this till tonight, but DeRosa reinjured himself giving Harper a high five the other night? http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-05-11/mark-derosa-high-five-injury-bryce-harper-oblique-washington-nationalsPoor Lombo.Lets get all the injuries out of the way now…

27. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Seriously, folks – that's enough. But in the silver lining department – we could be amazing in the second half if we can just hold the line now.

28. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM

they have gotten hit hard by injuries but so far their starters have not missed a pitch (you could argue wang i suppose)…and catcher is one position where they have depth

29. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM

come on Swami. Let's look at our team. no morse, no werth, no ramos, no storen, no lidge. Wang missing the beginning has been a blessing so far. besides that all other have been beyond terrible. at least give us a day to mourn all these losses.

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Wow I was thinking Ray Knight was telling you exactly what we all heard our coaches tell us when we 12. If you on third the ball is the iar you tag up, if it drops in you will score anyway, and there is no readon to take any steps toward home. The fact he wnttoward home made it nearly impossible to score. that is not on Porter. That is purely on the runner we learned that long ago (almost 50 years since I played), but that has not changed in all the years JZim was just not thinking like we were taught.As for henry haters. I am probably one that people would accus of that. I do not hate Henry. However I can tell within 3 pitches just how much Maalox I will have to take. If hsi first 3 pitches are hitting the spot, he is marvelous, and if they are not he makes me pull the little hair I have out. Real simple. It is not hate. It is can't stand when he misses his spots (he misses by a lot when he misses).

31. k9natsfan - May 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I have been traveling to Dallas for work and recently got MLB.tv to see the Nats. I have similar issues – it keeps telling me I'm in the blackout zone. If it happens next week – i am going to cancel. Good luck calling.. it was one of the worst CS experiences ever. I actually wished they'd farmed it to India I might have gotten it fixed.