Game 33: Nats at Reds

May 12, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT

Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper, who cut himself last night, is playing again tonight.

This being the apex of hockey season and all, we should be accustomed to professional athletes playing hurt, even if it means playing with 10 stitches above your eye. Yet because we're talking about baseball, not hockey, it is somewhat surprising to see Bryce Harper back in the Nationals' lineup, one night after he suffered a severe cut above his eye upon slamming his bat against a dugout wall and having it ricochet back at his face.

Nobody's ever accused the 19-year-old of being soft, though at the moment the bigger concern might be that he's cold at the plate. Harper has just one hit in his last 13 at-bats and has seen his batting average plummet to .233. Perhaps he can get things going again tonight against Reds right-hander Mat Latos.

Latos will be opposed by Jordan Zimmermann, looking to earn his much-deserved second win of the season, even though all six out of his outings to date have been quality starts.

As you know, I'm not in Cincinnati, so please enjoy the game and the conversation. And remember, no matter how frustrated you get, it's never a good idea to slam your bat on the dugout wall…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 89
Weather: Cloudy, 73 degrees, Wind 2 mph out to RF

SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Doc - May 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM

My advice to Bam-Bam is to keep his front foot in on all the change-ups and breaking balls and forget the over-swing.But he well knows that, and it continues to be part of his adjustment. He's fun to watch, even when he's striking out.I like the way Davey rewards effort–even when it appears to us fans as sustained failure.

2. Drew - May 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Hi Davey.Well, Harvey was kuenn on his wall bangers…

3. TNealls - May 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Drew, well said – lived in Milwaukee for the Series run. Great times for the whole city! Still have my McDonalds glasses.

4. natsfan1a - May 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Good one, Drew. (Like I said, Bam-Bam, two words: Water cooler. ;-))Go, Z'nn! Go, NATS!!

5. baseballswami - May 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

It's just so interesting to watch this kid – he is so full of intensity and passion. But you can also see where his struggling is coming from. He is really in the bigs now, they are adjusting to him and gunning for him and he is trying to overcome it with the sheer force of wanting to. He will learn to stay calm and slow things down a little. Watching him struggle is going to be part of the game right now. I feel like there are just so many people pulling for him and wanting him to do well. He is 19 for pete's sake. When I was 19 I was an idiot. Now – on to tonight's game and the other 24 guys who also want to do well and win. Some runs for Jordan, please? We don't want him to start beating up inanimate objects, too.

6. whatsanattau - May 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

At least it didn't hit him where it could hurt

7. NatsLady - May 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

This is great. Even if you are not a Yankee fan.Mariano Rivera – Don't Stop Relievin'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha3qN9t4chs&feature=youtu.be

8. NatsFanSinceStart - May 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Harper is an interesting person indeed. Like all the rest of us, his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness: his intensity. It drives him to greatness; and it drives him to the heights of immaturity.The way Harper is swinging lately, he is NOT a shoe-in to remain in the bigs this year when Morse and Werth return And if Bernadina works out — finally.

9. NatsFanSinceStart - May 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Yes, Baseballswami — I knew you when you were 19 and you're right: you were an Idiot!! haha

10. sm13 - May 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

How many MLB players would even agree to play the night after getting 10 stitches? Baseball players are not known for that hockey mentality. I bet Red Sox management must be a bit envious.

11. baseballswami - May 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Red Sox management – isn't that an oxymoron?

12. MicheleS - May 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Let's go for another series win tonight!GYFNG!

13. Ann Ominous - May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

natsfan1a said… Good one, Drew. (Like I said, Bam-Bam, two words: Water cooler. ;-))Kenny Rogers would beg to differ.

14. Candide - May 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

baseballswami said…He is 19 for pete's sake. When I was 19 I was an idiotHeh. I became an idiot even before I was 19. And I've been told I still am, and I'm 61…

15. NatsJack in Florida - May 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Being an idiot is practicly a prerequisite for being a poster here. I know I am and can certainly vouch for several others. And I have scars to prove my idiocy, just like BamBam.

16. Drew - May 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

We all could tell tales along the lines of: "When I was young and stupid I was young and stupid." In the words of that famed scout, Judge Judy: "You're not cooked yet!"Imagine going through growing pains in the national spotlight.I love the kid's exuberance and he'll learn. I'm just glad his crime of thrashin' didn't hurt anyone else.

17. MicheleS - May 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Amanda and Kilgore tweeted that Gio hurt his right hand on flop slide into 3b. Nats didn't want him swinging bat. Yup. I am an idiot too. Have scars to prove it as well.

18. peric - May 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I hope Morse gets back sooner rather than later both for the offense and so that Tyler Moore can return to Syracuse to start every day.

19. NatsLady - May 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

MicheleS–thanks. I was looking for that info. I hope that's all it is. Get well soon, Gio! We love to see that BIG SMILE!

20. natsfan1a - May 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Rogers' mistake was not using a bat. Stupid American League rules… :-)Thanks for the info on Gio, MicheleS. Was just watching innings I missed last night, and FP had speculated about that being the case when he bunted (and also because of the lack of curve balls). Feel better, Gio!Ann Ominous said… natsfan1a said… Good one, Drew. (Like I said, Bam-Bam, two words: Water cooler. ;-))

21. natsfan1a - May 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Eh, I left this part of the quote out.Ann Ominous said… Kenny Rogers would beg to differ.

22. baseballswami - May 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM

If Bam Bam makes some good contact tonight that ball may end up in the river. We don't need both him and Danny losing their mojo and brooding in the dugout.

23. sm13 - May 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

The two words I Have for bam-bam in Great America Park are: river boat. Like to see him hit one there and get some runs for JZimm.

24. UnkyD - May 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM

The hurt right hand answers for the bunting, but I'm not clear on the lack of curve ball…

25. Candide - May 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM

If they don't score some runs for Znn, I wouldn't blame him if he played Bam-Bam on a few skulls.

26. natscan reduxit - May 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Hi Mark,… enjoy your time off, and pass along greetings to the illustrious Mrs. Z for a Happy Mother's Day.Go Zuckermans! Go Nats!!

27. natsfan1a - May 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Unk, good question. I may have been kinda sorta napping a tad bit on the couch during the replay, so could have missed specifics. My hazy recall is that FP was tying both in-game factors to a possible hand injury, and it was before any announcement had been made. I don't recall FP mentioning a specific hand, but GG does, of course, throw with his left, and the announcement mentions his right.

28. natsfan1a - May 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Good call, natscan! I second the happy Mother's Day wishes for Mrs. Z.

29. natsfan1a - May 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM

So, when they do the end-of-season road trip rookie dress-ups, my money is on Bam-Bam wearing a caveman outfit.

30. Candide - May 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

31. Candide - May 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM

32. Candide - May 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Instead of punching a water cooler, you could try punching a sack of potatoes. It hasn't been tried in a while, might work. More here: Potatoes

33. SonnyG10 - May 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM

MicheleS said… Amanda and Kilgore tweeted that Gio hurt his right hand on flop slide into 3b. Nats didn't want him swinging bat. Thanks for this Michele. I have been wondering what happened.Happy Mother's Day Mrs. Z and all you other Mothers out there. Go Nats!!!

34. peric - May 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I think I said it was Gio's hand earlier …

35. NatsJack in Florida - May 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

And you said RIGHT hand.

36. JamesHoy - May 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

My MLBTV Premium subscription (I'm in Austin, Texas) doesn't have the option to watch video of this game, but DOES have the radio option. Does anyone know why this might be the case? Am looking on the 'net for answers, but came by here first…

37. NatsJack in Florida - May 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Which was correct and informative.

38. Scott from Burke - May 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM

39. Scott from Burke - May 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Amanda and Kilgore tweeted that Gio hurt his right hand on flop slide into 3b. Nats didn't want him swinging bat. one year a yankee pitcher got hurt running the bases in an interleague game and george steinbrenner ranted the nl should adopt the DH…i hate the dh…gio is having a great year at the plate and the nats pitchers overal have really helped themselves..i like it (with the exception of stras's baserunning)

40. phil dunton - May 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Jordan better be sharp tonight because Latos is a lot better pitcher than Leake.

41. NatsLady - May 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM

JamesHoy, try the online customer support forum. They usually answer right away. My understanding is if the game starts at 7:05 or later then the national blackout doesn't apply, but that is Eastern Time. Maybe if you are in Central Time it's different.

42. sm13 - May 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I think that Yankee pitcher was our own CMW

43. NatsLady - May 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM

oooo, Desi not swinging at the first pitch and it was a strike.Interesting stat (courtesy of highheatstats.com)Cincinnati’s leadoff spot has hit .161 with a .203 OBP and 12 runs in 33 games, making Dee Gordon seem almost palatable. Drew Stubbs of the Reds and Gordon of LA already have nine 0-for-5′s between them; no other player has more than 3. NL leadoff men as a group are getting on at a putrid .313 clip.

44. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Happy Mother's Day to Mrs. Z and all the mothers out there too. And thanks, NatsLady, for the link to the "Don't Stop Relievin'" video. Sent it to My Sister the Yankee Fan in NJ.As for being 19 and stupid, I wouldn't really know. Some people had blackout nights. I had blackout years and decades. That was one of them.Bam Bam gets even tonight. This kid has a flair for the dramatic. I can see him coming up big. Glad Grandpa Davey sees the same too.

45. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM

JamesHoy, r u in Austin right now or just on a visit there? Also did you pay using an dc metro area Credit/Debit card?there are two ways they are probably tracking your location (for blackout restrictions), a) ip address (there are actually ways to bounce it, but not safe I believe) and b) credit/debit card billing address. if you neither apply to you, you should be able to watch the game.

46. JamesHoy - May 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM

So, the video availability appeared just before the game started. Don't know why it wasn't available until the game actually started. Usually it is. But I have Bob and FP blaring right now.(FS=… I live in Austin.

47. Les_in_NC - May 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM

the scout on MLB Gameday says opponents are hitting .302 against Latos after the first 45 pitches…….and Zimmerman gets a walk as I type this…. and Laroche singles. A good sign? Lets hope so!

48. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM

You are one lucky person, JamesHoy. If I live outside the area also, I would continue my MLB.tV subscription.

49. Fear and Ignorance - May 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Does Carpenter ever shut up about the pitch count??? Every inning of every game!!! Who cares???

50. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

i endorse all complaints about carpenter

51. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM

he loves to say positive things about nats…if they have no runs he'll talk about how theyre making the other teams pitcher work

52. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Get this man some RUNS!!!!!!!

53. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I don't have a problem hearing the pitch count. I'll go to MLB Lite to check the pitch counts if I don't get them in a timely manner. And Carp does make me wince with all the sugar coating he lays on us.I'm absolutely disgusted with the lack of run support for Jordan.

54. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM

WILSON!!!

55. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Thank you Wilson.

56. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Thank you, Mr. Ramoooooose. Take care of your pitcher!!!

57. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Wow, a run JZimm.

58. Les_in_NC - May 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

The scout on MLB Gameday had just said that Ramos was hitting .625 in that particular location, And Latos challenged him with 3 straight pitches there…..Latos lost. WTG Ramos!

59. Eugene in Oregon - May 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM

F&I: The pitch count matters. The more pitches the starting pitcher uses, the sooner he's replaced by a reliever. Relievers are relievers because they're not as good as starters (in most cases). Getting into the opposing team's bullpen early is a positive development.Scott re Carpenter: Simple bureaucratic politics. For all intents and purposes, the announcers work for the team.

60. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM

OK…that's all on Jordan. He cost himself that run.

61. Les_in_NC - May 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Walking Laroche to get to Bam Bam?!C'mon kid, show 'em why you're in the bigs already!

62. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Scott re Carpenter: Simple bureaucratic politics. For all intents and purposes, the announcers work for the team. I know..it is infuriating though..

63. Joe Seamhead - May 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

WhatisPorter thinking?

64. Marty - May 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Big oof if they let Latos out of this one.

65. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

That's two for JZimm. I love Bo, but how does he let him do that twice?

66. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

wait what's on Jordan? he didn't tag or something?

67. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Somebody grab Bam-Bam and send him right back to the outfield! Quick.

68. djinFl. - May 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I do believe we would have called for Bo's head if Jordan was injured in a slide at the plate.We had hindsight to see he would have scored.No more injuries!!!!(even if we have an extra starter)

69. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Brandon Phillips deserves to be thrown at. Paging old school Hamels…

70. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

When you 're on 3rd with less than 2 outs, on ANY BALL HIT IN THE AIR TO THE OUTFIELD YOU GO BACK TO THE BAG TO TAG UP.ANY BALL!!!!Jordan failed baseball 101 twice and as far as I'm concerned, desrves to lose this game..

71. TimDz - May 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM

That's on Bo…He needs to tell Znn to get back and tag…

72. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Preserve the pitchers…. Chance no collisions at home…

73. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Agree. Can't risk an injury. Latos has loaded them up twice and has a high pitch count, but is batting for himself. Maybe they just don't want to waste a position player for the bunt. Can't believe he will stay in.

74. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Yes, on Brandon Phillips. That was REALLY unnecessary.

75. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Well, that blows.But this is pretty great: Danny Rosenbaum's win Friday night improved his record to 5-0. He has an ERA of 0.71 and the same WHIP — 0.71.His CAREER ERA has dropped to 2.14 in 65 starts. The dude is crazy good.

76. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 12:58 AM

don't say that Natsjack. He may deserve to lose, but not the team.

77. sjb - May 13, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Anyone remember what happened to Shawn Hill? I wouldn't be surprised if Davy had a directive–no pitcher sliding under any circumstances.

78. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Partly Bo–the third base coach never has so much to do that he shouldn't remind the runner, esp. a pitcher, of obvious stuff like how many outs there are, and "if it's in the air, get back to the bag and listen to me"; but geeez louise, Jordan. How long you been playing baseball again??

79. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Is Danny back? Way to go!

80. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM

sjb–and if Gio hurt his hand with that crazy slide, Davey has cause. Espi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

81. Les_in_NC - May 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Is Danny getting hot….or just lucky?WTG Danny!

82. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

You automatically go back to the bag to tag on anything that clears the infield. You tag to draw the throw.The Reds CONCEDED the run on Bernadinas shot.But then there's Espinosa so all's good.

83. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I don't understand how they even gave Danny a fastball. Didn't they read the memo? I'll take it.

84. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I love Espi.

85. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Brandon Phillips was cool. I liked that. Hate the outcome, but I like to see that. Ozzie Smith was old school, too.

86. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM

So…. Danny's finding the fat part?

87. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Kill the fatted calf — Danny Espinosa's back in town!

88. TimDz - May 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Hope nobody was walking up the breezeway with a beer and nachos…

89. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I hope Danny gets hot. I really love that guy. Hope to see more of his hot bat and great defense this season.

90. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Ozzie never pounded his chest or thought the game was all about him.

91. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Didn't see the play… NJ- was it clear(in hindsight), that Cozart would not even have had a play on Zim, at the plate? Cause if the catcher would have been protecting the plate, I don't want ANY of our pitchers sliding or colliding with an armored catcher….. Just call me a wuss…

92. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I never said he did. I don't know that Phillips thinks that. He plays with flair, as the best players in the world should do. Stoicism is way over-rated.

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM

On JZimms first run the throw went to third what are we talking about an injury. That was way deep.I am still mad at Desmond he costs us a run in the first not talking the out at first and throwing to second late. the extra out helped as they scored on a ground out for for the second out.So far three mental errors, and you have none for little as we hit. One of aggression on Sedi and 2 of passive nature on Jzimm.

94. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Great double play!

95. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Nice!!! Thank you, Desi (and Adam LaR.)

96. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

But seriously, do you suppose Davey really did tell them not to send Jordan if it looked close?

97. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Y'know… If this lineup could develop their collective plate discipline, they'd score in big bunches… Who among them is NOT capable of hitting 20+ HRs?DESI!!!!

98. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Desmond's play at second looks bad in hindsight. At the time, early in the game, lots of trust in Espinosa, it was a reasonable try. Bad judgement in hindsight, but they were both close plays. Really can't imagine what Jordan was doing on Bernadina's ball, though.

99. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM

JZ icing his arm? Is that it for him?

100. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Danny, what ever you ate yesterday and today….eat it again and again please. We love seeing you this way.Go Nats!

101. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Unkyd….Jordan broke to the plate immediately and had to go back to tag. On 3rd on all balls not on the ground, you go back to the bag to tag immediately. Jordan broke down the line on both plays. Bad baseball.

102. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I'm don't blame Phillips for a little chest thumping. That was a hell of a play and he's getting the crowd up. And Desmond and ALR answered with a sweet double play, so it's all good.

103. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Reds announcers just talking about how legit the Nats are, and listed off the playerscoming back — Morse, Werth, DeRosa, Storen, Lidge. Nats look "real strong for the second half."

104. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Come on now, how often is a pitcher on third in that situation? This has to be all on Porter. And yes, I am sure that they don't want to risk injuring another pitcher on the bases. Porter has to be right in his ear telling him what to do. I hate the chest pump. If one of our players did that they would get plunked – one in particular. And I am longing to see Zim go yard. Seems like he has become the set up guy for LaRoche – Zim walks, LaRoche with the rbi has become the pattern the last couple of games that they have been back. Nice, but I want to see zim's power. And I don't want to see any more rally killing double plays.

105. TimDz - May 13, 2012 at 1:26 AM

One more strong inning Znn…

106. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Nooooooo!!!!!!!

107. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Oh, Jeez. No, Not Wilson. NO.

108. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Oh, poor Wilson.

109. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I can't see! What happened to Ramos???

110. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM

That did not look good.

111. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Twister his knee trying to make a throw to second

112. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

For God's sake! This team is on the voyage of the damned.

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

BY the way I t9old Big Cat at the time get the one out. Not hindsight at all. Just fundemental baseball. Even if Reds had not scored it was fundelmetally poor.When you are on third you always tag on a fly if it drips in you will score anyway.Baseball 101 we learned by the age of 12.

114. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

So is Bryce the back-up catcher now?

115. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Twisted, even. Ball got past him and he was trying to grab it and turn and throw. Doesn't look like he can put any weight on the knee.

116. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Is he out of the game? Is this a bigger deal than out of the game? I'm in the wrong city and can't see, and the MLb app won't load for sme reason

117. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I thought that Lombo was the emergency catcher. But maybe I'm just making that up.

118. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Yes, out of the game. And not looking good for the near future, but who knows?

119. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Carlos Maldonaldo…front and center. Jesus Flores 6 out of 7 games. Stand tall my friend.

120. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

They helped Ramos off the field. Flores is in. It didn't look pretty, so he's probably DL bound.

121. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Lombo is the emergency catcher. If Rizzo had any idea for trading Flores, that is out now. Wow, JZ has incredible focus. Finished the strikeout, gets a ground out. Davey leaving him in even though Burnett is ready.

122. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Jesus is so good, but poor Wilson! I'm glad he got a dinger tonight, if he's going to be out for a while. Jeez what else can go wrong?

123. waddu eye no - May 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM

jane -"Jeez what else can go wrong?"i'm scared to ask.

124. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Carlos Maldanaldo, welcome to tje show. Jesus Flores, the job is yours. Handle it well.Wilson, get well soon and we'll see you in about 4 months.

125. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I hope Rizzo kept Pudge's cell phone number.

126. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Gio not only injured his right hand on the slide, the is "receiving treatment" on his pitching hand–that may explain why he didn't throw curves. Nationals "don't regard it as serious" per Kilgore's article.This quote from Gio is like word-for-word what RZ said before he went on the DL. I hope I'm wrong.“Little soreness, that’s all it was,” Gonzalez said. “It’s just trying to get a grip of it, but it feels great now. I mean, it felt fine. I didn’t want to go out there and try to swing or anything like that, try to irritate it. Just, I’ve been in there training, doing all my stuff, it’s nothing really bothers me now. It feels good.”

127. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Oh man. I hope Gio is not what goes wrong next. I can get bourbon from room service, but I definitely need maalox. Keep posting…you all are my link to what's going on.

128. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Espi just stole second and then stole third!

129. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I just got MLb to load! I missed the steals but how great for Danny!

130. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Ankiel struck out in a situation where he KNEW he was getting fastballs (similar to what happened with Henry), except Ankiel didn't hit any of them. Was at 3-0 and struck out. Rick, I luv ya, but gottat do better than that.

131. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 1:49 AM

OK…6 outs to go. It's all about getting outs. Start the count down.

132. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM

133. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM

One down five to go.

134. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 1:54 AM

135. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Wilson has been through so much already. If you are a praying type, I would start now. A game is just a game, but injuries are another thing. Seems like just when Jayson heated up, he got hurt, Ramos, heating up – got hurt. Should we worry about Danny, now? Pretty soon our team name will just be The Syracuse Chiefs.

136. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Four to go.

137. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

And Bryce dodged a bullet last night – could have injured his eye.

138. Section 215 Row A - May 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I am no orthopedist but that looked like an ACL tear to me. If it is, Wilson won't be back this season.

139. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Danny Espinosa, who is hitting .205, has passed the "lead off hitter" in on base percentage.Espinosa is now at .293, Desmond is at .287.I like Desmond's extra-base power, but I sure wish they'd move him down in the order.

140. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Chapman has really figured out how to pitch. He's destined to be a heck of a closer.

141. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM

WE NEED MORE RUNS!!!!!!ARGGGGGGGHHH!

142. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Do people come back from ACL tears to be a catcher again?

143. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Look what Posey came back from – a lot worse.

144. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Room service bourbon has arrived. Buster is doing okay. Poor Wilson.

145. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Whew! 3 outs to go.

146. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Let's get some insurance. 3 more to get.

147. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Three. Got it. MLB app is behind…they haven't called it yet

148. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM

JaneB….Basketball. Alot more taxing on the knees.

149. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Please, get a couple of runs for Henry.

150. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM

@JaneB: Room service have some Maalox with that bourbon? After all, we're getting MPH Rod in the bottom of the ninth.

151. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Please. Lett..tell Henry to throw that slider in the strike zone. It buckles their knees.

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Is it good or bad Henry tonight? I think good.

153. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM

OK… Toughest 3 outs in baseball. C'mon Henry!

154. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Padres beat Halladay. Again. Padres are first team to beat Roy Halladay twice in one season since 2009.

155. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM

C'mon MPHrod!!!

156. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I'll take one of those shots of bourbon and maalox. He's not even in there yet and I have a knot in my stomach.

157. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

we'll have an idea which Henry it is when we see his first pitch…

158. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Tell me again why I think being a baseball fan is fun? Torture, maybe – but fun? Yikes.

159. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Pull him NOW!!!!(This is only a test. Had it been a real emergency…)

160. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM

161. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM

2 to go. Looks like good Henry tonight so far.

162. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Sweet

163. Steady Eddie - May 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM

GOOD Henry so far, fingers crossed….

164. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

How about GREAT Henry?!

165. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Sweeter

166. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Seriously, you know which Henry you have within 3 pitches, tops.

167. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Did somebody say knee buckler?

168. rdexposfan - May 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

according to twitter Amanda Comak ‏ @acomakWilson Ramos has been sent for an MRI on his right knee, per @Marfamata. Info from the #Nats when the game ends.

169. Steady Eddie - May 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Looks like Henry against the Braves last September.

170. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Little woo hoo. Happy for win. Very sad about Wilson.

171. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Sweetest!

172. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Thank you Henry. Consider yourself hugged!

173. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Thanks, Blue!

174. RickH - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

10 pitches. 9 strikes. GAME OVER!!!

175. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Sunshine, I actually ASKED for maalox. They are sending some. Nice full service hotel. One more, Henry!

176. djinFl. - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

How dare he throw one non-strike in his inning.Way to go boys!GYFN

177. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Natsnut, you don't need 3 pitches. If the first one doesn't hi the backstop it's gonna be a good outing. Go Henry. 8 out of 10!

178. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM

We FINALLY get a third strike call from a base umpire!Mother's Day and still in soul possession of first place in the NL East!WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I felt Henry was going to be good. He wan't good he was magnificein. Would would love to see that Henry every time out. The Reds looked clueless. Another series win

180. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Over!!!, I'm way behind! Any Wilson news? I'm afraid they will cut off the radio broadcast before I hear. Thank you imaginary friends!

181. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM

GOOD HENRY!!!!We needed it, ATL beat the Cards. Still in first place!Really, the Cards aren't going to get swept are they???

182. Cwj - May 13, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Wow! That'll shut up the Henry haters! :-DGo Nats!

183. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Awesome Henry, tonite!!!

184. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 13, 2012 at 2:21 AM

JaneB said… Sunshine, I actually ASKED for maalox. They are sending some. Nice full service hotel. Way to go, Jane! That hotel gets five stars from me.

185. Joe Seamhead - May 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Where are all of the Henry Haters?

186. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Yes, and please don't forget that if Espi is in Syracuse we don't win this game.

187. TimDz - May 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I posted good Henry from last year and he did it again …THIS time was in the ninth ….GYFNG!

188. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Joe, don't invite them to play tonight! Let's enjoy Good Henry and a series win without them. And cross everything that crosses for Wilson.

189. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM

seamhead: anti henry sentiment on here is crazy..so what if he blows a save or two..his stuff is awesome..lidge is down and storen hurt…nats are SO FORTUNATE they have hrod…NEW YORK RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

190. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Clip doesn't have that cutter completely under control, but he got his job done.

191. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 2:26 AM

You know what I like about Henry.? No chest pounding.

192. rdexposfan - May 13, 2012 at 2:26 AM

All the regulars in the lineup are now .200 or better with Espi joining them with 2 hits (1 HR).

193. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 2:27 AM

NutsLady said… don't forget that if Espi is in Syracuse we don't win this game. How is this even remotely true? If you know what would happen if Espi hadn't played you should take your piano lesson money and head to vegas immediately

194. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 2:28 AM

topic change: I swear, everything Davey has said about Bam Bam hitting himself is freakin funny. "He probably has less experience hitting walls than most."

195. JaneB - May 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Okay. MLB cut off the radio broadcast. What is Davey saying about the Buffalo?

196. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Bam Bam needs a hit…BADLY

197. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Oh – so that's why I think being a baseball fan is fun!

198. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:35 AM

JaneB, still waiting. Try Twitter.

199. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM

@Scott: I'm afraid Bam Bam may have gotten his one big hit this weekend.

200. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Ray Knight is just yada yada yada. Apparently he doesn't like JZ's baserunning.