May 13, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
The depleted Nationals go for the sweep today at Great American Ball Park.
For a team enjoying more success right now than it has at any other point since arriving in town seven years ago, the Nationals are also dealing with as much crushing injury news as they've ever experienced. The latest shock, of course, was this morning's revelation that Wilson Ramos will miss most, if not all, of the rest of the season with a torn ACL in his right knee.
Thus, the spotlight now shines brightly on Jesus Flores, the Nationals' one-time, long-term answer behind the plate who will again be asked to take on starting responsibilities. His backup, for now, will be 23-year-old Sandy Leon, promoted all the way from Class AA Harrisburg.
And yet through all of this, the Nationals continue to win. Today, they'll be seeking a series sweep at Great American Ball Park and a continued hold on first place in the NL East. They'll send Edwin Jackson to the mound, and hope their reconfigured lineup can provide the necessary run support.
As you know, I'm not in Cincinnati and have been spending the weekend with family. On that note, a very happy Mother's Day to everyone out there, especially the one and only Rachel Zuckerman, who is celebrating her very first one as a Mom! Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Rain, 60 degrees, Wind 7 mph in from LF
SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon