Game 34: Nats at Reds

May 13, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The depleted Nationals go for the sweep today at Great American Ball Park.

For a team enjoying more success right now than it has at any other point since arriving in town seven years ago, the Nationals are also dealing with as much crushing injury news as they've ever experienced. The latest shock, of course, was this morning's revelation that Wilson Ramos will miss most, if not all, of the rest of the season with a torn ACL in his right knee.

Thus, the spotlight now shines brightly on Jesus Flores, the Nationals' one-time, long-term answer behind the plate who will again be asked to take on starting responsibilities. His backup, for now, will be 23-year-old Sandy Leon, promoted all the way from Class AA Harrisburg.

And yet through all of this, the Nationals continue to win. Today, they'll be seeking a series sweep at Great American Ball Park and a continued hold on first place in the NL East. They'll send Edwin Jackson to the mound, and hope their reconfigured lineup can provide the necessary run support.

As you know, I'm not in Cincinnati and have been spending the weekend with family. On that note, a very happy Mother's Day to everyone out there, especially the one and only Rachel Zuckerman, who is celebrating her very first one as a Mom! Enjoy the game and the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Rain, 60 degrees, Wind 7 mph in from LF

SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
1B Adam LaRoche

1. JZimm's only fan... - May 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Really terrible news about Wilson, lets sweep these guys for him

2. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there in NI land. Thanks for all that you do.Today's splash of cold water: In 2011 Adam Dunn was so horrific that he hit .159 with a .292 on base percentage.The "lead off hitter" has an on base percentage of .285,To the next question: Who do we have that would be better? the answer is almost anyone. Of the eight Nats hitters in last night's starting lineup, only one — Rick Ankiel — had a worse on base percentage than Ian.They need base runners in front of Zim, LaRoche and in front of Ian. Move Desmond down!GYF(hobbled)NG!

3. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Funny thing….. Where's JayB? This bench was gonna be the death of us… has any team been as bench-dependent as this one? 21-12…. Jes' Sayin'…….

4. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Wishing Wilson a full recovery. Wishing Mrs. Z and other moms a wonderful Mother's Day.Wishing the Nats a good game and another curly w in the books. Go, Edwin! Go, NATS!!Bonus comment: Did my ears deceive me last night, or was Frazier using "Come Fly With Me" as his walk-up music? Interesting choice, if so. (Don't get me wrong, I like the song, especially when performed by Old Blue Eyes. I also liked exclaiming "down goes Frazier" after he faced H-Rod.)

5. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

(Bonus bonus comment: Not sure who the artist was in that particular rendition.)

6. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Part of me wants The Kid batting 3rd, protected by Zim and ALR, and the other part thinks he's learning more seeing less desirable pitches… Which part is right?Happy Mothers Day!!! And heal fast and well, Moose!

7. A DC Wonk - May 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM

From last thread:Peric suggested:Rosenbaum's best outcome is to get a September call-up this year and really impress when he gets to the majors. But . . . does that work if the Nats are in the middle of a wildcard race? (Which I think is likely)

8. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Driving around doing errands this morning – guess what song popped on the radio?AHA, Take on ME! I belted it out at the top of my lungs (I am sure the people who were driving around me really appreciated that).I am taking that as a sign that BEAST MODE will be back soon and raking.GYFNG!!! (and rain rain go away).Get will soon Wilson!!!

9. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Thanks, NatsLady. Tuned in after the expected start time to find Baseball Tonight and no info on the rain delay. Figured that was what it was.

10. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Speaking of mothers, sweet piece by Kilgore on Leon informing his mom of the promotion.

11. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Snippet from the piece below. Evidently LeCroy is still in the business of making grown men cry. ;-)"Leon, also Venezuelan, received a call from a Harrisburg official at midnight requesting he report back to the park in Akron as fast as he could. He had not heard about Ramos’s injury and assumed he had been chosen for a random drug test. When he showed up, Manager Matt LeCroy informed him he would become a big leaguer. Leon started crying."

12. c715e5d6-9d22-11e1-a89a-000f20980440 - May 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Does anyone know when Jayson Werth will be back with the team? Seems as if Bam-Bam might be missing his mentor's guidance.Checking out the Cincinnati weather radar–that looks nasty. And that may be what's coming to DC early this week.

13. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Hmm, it was Francis Albert:Old Blue EyesReds rookie third baseman Todd Frazier is the only player in the majors whose walk-up music alternates between a pair of Frank Sinatra classics: "Fly Me to the Moon" and "Come Fly with Me."http://news-herald.com/articles/2012/05/06/sports/nh5450780.txt?viewmode=4

14. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 5:43 PM

fwiw, other injured guys (e.g., Morse, Storen) have been spotted in the dugout at home games.

15. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Not to mention DeRosa! OK to be in the dugout, but careful with those high-fives.

16. DCGuy7 - May 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

first, sucks for Wilson. we'll miss him. second, anyon know a projected start time for the game? can't find one.

17. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I just pulled up the hour by hour forecast fot Cincy and doesn't look good

18. Theophilus T. S. - May 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Guess nobody uses Mary Chapin Carpenter, "Sometimes you're the bat, sometimes you're the ball.

19. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Okay, that makes sense. He's a Jersey guy, and Sinatra is Old School. (In fact, I was made a similar comment to my husband before I read this piece.) :-)

20. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

(Why am I typing in lolcat speak? :-D I made a similar comment.)

21. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM

According to Reds PR, no decision has been made on today’s starting time. The umpires and teams will reconvene at 3:00 p.m. ET.Sandy Leon first guy to go from AA to the majors since Bernadina in 2008.

22. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Thanks, NatsLady.

23. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

if the game does get postponed today, then what? how will we make it up?

24. Eugene in Oregon - May 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Three unrelated questions for a rain delay:(1) I can understand why Wilson Ramos was initially put on the 15-day DL until they figured out what his prognosis was. But why are Drew Storen and Jayson Werth on the 15-day DL and not the 60-day? From the time of their surgeries, both were expected to be out longer than 60 days. I know other teams also sometimes put players on the 15-day instead of the 60-day, even though the players' injuries would clearly require two-plus months of recovery/rehab. Is there a business/rules reason for not using the 60-day? Does it have something to do with when the player can start formal or informal rehab work? Or are they just hoping against hope that a miracle will occur and the player will be ready sooner than expected?(2) Any update on the TV contract arbitration process? I know the Nats and MASN were unable to reach an agreement and the issue was sent to arbitration, but I haven't heard anything since. Any new developments?(3) Finally, a hypothetical rules question. Watching the end of the Cardinals-Braves game the other night, the Cards had the bases loaded in the bottom of the 11th with one out. The batter hit a grounder to the SS. The runner on second hesitated just a moment — perhaps to try to distract the SS? — but then hopped over the batted ball and proceeded toward third base. The SS nevertheless fielded the ball cleanly, then initiated an inning-ending double play. I know that if the runner had been hit by the ball accidentally, he would have been out. I think that the play would then have been called 'dead' and the runner on third would not have been allowed to score. I think that the runner on first would have advanced to second and the batter would have then occupied first. That would have been an obviously better outcome for the Cardinals, giving them another chance to score the winning run. Assuming that's correct, my question is: If the runner on second had simply allowed himself be hit by the batted ball — obviously, with no question that it was intentional — would the umpires have had any option to award the Braves two outs? I think not (based largely on the fact that a scorer can't assume a double play), but it wouldn't seem fair to allow the runner to let himself by hit and thus prolong the inning. Anyone know if there's a rule to address that situation?

25. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

natsfan1a said…Evidently LeCroy is still in the business of making grown men cry.1a es en fuego.

26. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

It would be challenging, as we don't face them again this season.

27. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM

(That would be the make-up game, challenging.)(Thanks, Scooter. :-))

28. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Mr. Eugene, it's my understanding that a team may not put a guy on the 60-day until it actually needs the space. So it's a rule, not a preference. I don't know why the rule exists, but I suspect it's a union thing.As to #3, there's a big difference between scorers and umpires, but I don't know the rule in question by heart.

29. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Continuing on the scheduling front, they'd need to find a common off-day first. Nats are playing at home tomorrow night, and Reds are scheduled to be at the Braves.

30. mick - May 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Happy Mother Day to all you Mom's, just return from brunch with wife and kids and I see there is a R-Delay. Is game still on? I feel awful for Wilson

31. mick - May 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Thanks Nats lady, i just read your post

32. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM

scott diamond of twins just dodged a bullet, line drive hit his shoulder.

33. carolync - May 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Last year we only played 161 games. One with the Dodgers was cancelled because a rain-out couldn't be made up. I'm afraid that might be the case here. Doesn't look like the rain is going to let up until after 5. It's a light rain. I sure hope they don't try to play in it.

34. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I don't Tweeter, but here's something from Comak for those who do:Amanda Comak ‏ @acomakFor those interested RT @marfamata: Thanks #nats fans for your tweets & support for Wilson. You can also write him, his twitter is @WRamosC3

35. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

The Nats and Dodgers weren't potentially in the postseason mix last year. Had they been, it would have been made up.

36. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Kilgore tweeted that September 13 is a mutual day off for both teams

37. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

(raising hand) I do. I have such illusions. Flores is up to it. Theophilus T. S. said..Flores is a big league catcher, but I don't think anybody has any illusions about his ability to start 110 of the next 129 games.

38. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Yes. They would hunt around for an off-day or a travel day when both teams are in the neighborhood to do a make-up game if necessary. Davey wants to get the game in, he said so on the radio–he doesn't need a rain out to skip any of his starters: "I like them all."Plus we will very likely have a rain out or long delay tomorrow because guess where that weather is headed.

39. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

There won't be a decision on the game until at least 4 p.m., Reds announce. –Per Kilgore

40. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Thanks for the updates, MicheleS and NatsLady.That's me standing next to NatsNut with my hand raised, btw. :-)

41. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I wondered why NatsNut had a burning chick with her.

42. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

That bicycle thing must be over by now, so I figure I can get to Virginia. Heading to the gym. Later, folks.

43. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

knowing you, Scooter, that was probably hilarious, but huh?

44. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I didn't get it either, but now I don't feel so dumb. :-)

45. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Oh, wait (pages through Spanish-English dictionary), en fuego.

46. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Because of the joke and all. lol.

47. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

48. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I wouldn't mind if they made it up on 9/13 because we're usually in Ohio that time of year and have not yet visited that park. Road trip!

49. sjb - May 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

@MicheleS–if the makeup is scheduled for 9/13, the Nats will have to make a one-day trip to Cincy in the middle of a home stand (in between series with the Mets and Braves). I'm sure they'd rather play tonite if they had to; unfortunately it isn't their decision (Reds have a game at Pittsburgh on the 12th and start a home stand on the 14th.

50. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM

oh. burning chick = en fuego 1a. got it. yea, not that hilarious. ;)

51. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM

lol, NatsNut.sjb, good find re. the homestand. That said, I think MicheleS was just reporting what AK said, not advocating for a particular date, and mine was more in the wishful thinking category. Wait, do the MLB scheduling suits read here, too? Hi, MLB suits! (waves)

52. Navy Nats Fan - May 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Except it's NOT a homestand – Nats are at Mets through 9/12 then go to Atlanta for 9/14 against Braves. Otherwise there would be a baseball game being played with The Boss playing his songs as walkup music. Which would actually be pretty cool.

53. dabassguy1 - May 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Looking at the radar, it might clear if they wait a little longer to play.GYFNG!!

54. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Heath Bell earning his salary again–NOT. Whatever Ozzie said to Zembrano, it didn't work for Bell.

55. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

4:45 start. WOW!

56. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I saw that, too, NatsLady. Not too good. Plus, I can't decide who I want to lose that one. I guess the Mets, from a standings standpoint.dabassguy, a few minutes ago they broke in on MASN with a Carpenter update, and he said things were looking up from a weather standpoint, as far as getting the game in.

57. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Oh, thanks, FS.

58. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Colbert pitched well. Grrrrrrrrr. Bonifacio with a leadoff triple. Fish haven't lost yet. What is with these bullpens???

59. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I just watched BJ Upton break in on a ball hit to the wall and he couldn't get back in time. Situation was 2 men on with 2 outs in a 7-4 game. Result is 7-6 and the inning continues.

60. Navy Nats Fan - May 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM

MicheleS and sjb – except it's not a homestand – they're at NYMets on 9/12 and then they fly to Atlanta for the Braves on 9/14. Because if they were at home on 9/14 there would be a baseball game with The Boss playing all the walkup music live. Which would actually be pretty cool.

61. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Now I know why BJ Upton looked so unhappy. At that point he was 0-4 with 4 strikeouts.

62. whatsanattau - May 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

work fast, throw strikes, avoid bog innings. Try for a 2.5 hour game. 4:45…

63. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

4:45? No bodyjam class for me. Have to stay on the elliptical and stationary bike. C'mon, Cards, Mamas don't let your boys grow up to be swept.

64. whatsanattau - May 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM

also big innings, avoid big innings and don't step in the bog…

65. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Giancarlo Stanton with a Walkoff Grand Slam

66. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM

NatsNut, next time I have a joke I'll whisper it to you first, so you can tell me if it's funny enough. kthxbai

67. NatsLady - May 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Jeez, walk and HBP. Shades of the Mets. Grand slam for Giancarlo. 6 runs in the bottom of the ninth for the Fish.

68. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Ha ha, bog innings. That was funny. (Pending NatsNut's approval.)

69. whatsanattau - May 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

wait, what? I was just sitting here…

70. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

okay, THAT was funny.

71. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM

no probs, 1a.stanton walk-off grand slam

72. natsfan1a - May 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Hmm, somebody woke up the Fish.It's not you, whatsa. That related to an earlier exchange. Bog innings is good. :-)

73. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM

game has started.

74. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Roger trying show JZimm how to tag up?

75. sm13 - May 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Wow, can't believe how few people were willing to wait out a 3 1/2 hour rain delay.

76. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Did Edwin Jackson miss his spot to the wrong guy or what?

77. TimDz - May 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Oops…

78. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Votto homers.

79. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Nice at-bat by Bryce Harper

80. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Bob Carp called that Jesus Flores fly-out like a 3 run jack.

81. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Eugene, a little late, but: my question is: If the runner on second had simply allowed himself be hit by the batted ball — obviously, with no question that it was intentional — would the umpires have had any option to award the Braves two outs? I think not (based largely on the fact that a scorer can't assume a double play), but it wouldn't seem fair to allow the runner to let himself by hit and thus prolong the inning. Anyone know if there's a rule to address that situation? Yes, there is.7.09It is interference by a batter or a runner when — (e) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner.

82. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Atta way, Jesus!

83. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

nice info Sec 3.Sac fly by Jesus ties the game.

84. peric - May 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM

@shannaclawz got seriously elbowed in the ribs by an O's fan because she is big-time Nationals and TB Rays fan. Apparently fans were video taping the obnoxious O's fan next to her. She got an upgrade to the front rows … still ….Have to wonder about obnoxious O's fans coming to Nats park for the series in May. The Phillies Phans redux?

85. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Willie Harris DFA'd by the Reds

86. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Eigene, the Braves cards and the rule. Had the runner from second gotten hit by the batted ball he is out. Also if in the opnion of the umpire he was hit on purpose to avoid a double play, the batter is also out. They said that on the broad cast during the top of the next inning. They read rules number, but I am not aware of it.

88. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Funky Cold Bernadina!

89. peric - May 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Willie Harris DFA'd by the RedsWillie Harris == Pudge. Stop the Riggleman geezing.

90. Drew - May 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Funky Cold Bernadina!

91. TimDz - May 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

1) Get the lead…Check.2) Get thru five innings to make it official.

92. rdexposfan - May 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Shark attack 7 of 9 against Arroyo

93. peric - May 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM

94. peric - May 13, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Not to mention DeRosa! He seems pretty much done … another possible example of geezing. When a high five injures you and you are a professional major league baseball player? Houston we have a problem better get Senator John Glenn back on the ground.

95. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM

And I'm one of those 3, Gonat.

96. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM

That was funny. While they were showing a Nats fan with a red block W, the woman sitting next to him was totally giving the guy next to her the full "Talk to the hand cuz the nose CANNOT stand your breath!"

97. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Zim back to throwing 3 quarters again? I have seen that for a few throws when he is on the move. Didn't have to move much for that last play.

98. peric - May 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM

But . . . does that work if the Nats are in the middle of a wildcard race? (Which I think is likely)Given the current rash of injuries? Are you kidding? Plus I suspect (as Natslady reported) that a trade is in the offing to deal with the Wang situation. Its interesting that from all reports no one wants Lannan but all are interested in Wang. What will block Rosenbaum from a September call up? Lannan. If Gorzo goes down you might see him brought in to fill that role. That seems like a good fit for him at this point. As for September. Let's see if they survive the late May and June schedule first.

99. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM

lot of hits so far!

100. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Ya know. I've decided to lay off any of our guys that are out hitting Pujols

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Anyine have a clue where we rank in RISP in the majors. Dor a first place team, I am betting pretty low.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Any one have a clue where we rank in RISP. For a first place club, I bet you it is low. If we were good at RISP, we would not have som many close games.

103. TimDz - May 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Oops II

104. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM

That got too much of the plate but credit to Joey Votto

105. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Edwin just got lucky against Bruce. Missed the target on a dead red fastball 94mph that luckily Bruce swung through for strike 1

106. peric - May 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Votto I knew would sooner or later wake up. We jave wasted a lot of hits. Come on boys, lets wake up and score the runs. Arroyo is pitching the ball so we can hit it.

108. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM

In a 2-2 game, it magnifies that top of the 4th where you have Espi and Ankiel on 1st and 2nd with no outs and they were stranded in the same spots. Edwin is not a good bunter so far.

109. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM

peric said… Roger Bernadina comes through again. As 3 of us said, give the guy some playing time before you cut off his head at the neck.Definitely a better choice at this point than all the proposed external options. And he's still developing … May 13, 2012 6:01 PM ______________________________The comments after Werth was injured that Bernadina was compared to garbage when he has virtually had no playing time was just a little premature. Sure, he isn't an All Star but he is a decent fill-in and better than Nady who has had numerous opportunities.

110. rdexposfan - May 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

12th in the NL .220 RISP

111. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

From now on 4 fingers every time Votto comes up.

112. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM

MicheleS, 1st HR was missed by 2 mitts on location, the 2nd was middle of the plate and Votto may have been sitting on the changeup—and he didn't miss it.

113. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=DH&sid=t552&t=p_pbp&pid=502145Anyone know who Syracuse's Jim Negrych is? Don't recall him.

114. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM

come on Danny boy!

115. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Espi with a hit w/ RISP finally breaks his 0-fer drought!

116. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM

picking Danny up for my fantasy team.

117. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

make him pay JFlo.

118. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

ugh Arroyo got lucky. Danny out at plate on JFlo's single to left.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM

We got the lead for a second time. Let's not get it back. Espi is swinging at less bad pitches, and thius he will hit more balls. Let's hope that habit of swing at balls in the dirt is over.

120. NatsNut - May 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I'm so happy for Bryce, Danny and Bernadina! Go hitters!

121. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM

What is Ejax's problem, we got leads in Pittsburg he gave it away, looks like he is trying to do the same thing again. Take advantage of the lead guy.

122. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Jackson prepares to give some runs right back. Bronson has been replaced with a pinch hitter and runners on 2nd and 3rd.

123. rdexposfan - May 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM

From nationalsprospects. Negrych was a 6th Round pick in the 2006 draft for the Pittsburgh Pirates, who spent last season in the Marlins organization, posting a .304/.370/.402 line for Miami’s AA affiliate

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

People wondering what they plan to do with WWang and Detwiler. Detwiler has pitched much better than EJax, I would do nothing with Detwiler at all at this point.

125. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hasn't there been some trade interest in Wang? That might decide it.

126. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM

So mccatty is getting the pen up. Ejax just struggling out there.

127. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Espi preserves the lead. Nice catch!

128. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM

EJax hung that slider to Valez who was a .190 hitter and batting in the 8 hole for a reason. EJax has also received double the run support of JZim. I don't like what I keep seeing from him except at the plate as he is a very good hitter.He had the one gem earlier this year against these Reds.

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM

EJax minimize the damage he created as best he can. Still don't understand why he gives back runs so often in the following inning after we score. (Wish I could find a stat on that).

130. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM

131. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Ejax is what he is — a perfectly good No. 4 starter that pitches 200 innings a year with a decent ERA. Solid, but not spectacular innings eater. A step up from Livo or Lannan, but not in the same league as the Big 4.

132. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

if steven can come off of bench, I fail to see why people object Moore as a bench player?anyways, this has become a must win game if nats wanna stay in first place.

133. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Did anyone suggest trading Wang before June 15th? Sheesh.

134. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM

can they trade wang tomorrow?

135. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM

we can't even bunt properly.

136. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Bernadina spanked that ball. Unlucky. Right at the LF

137. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM

138. peric - May 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM

For about the 100th time, neither Wang nor Jackson can be traded till June 15th.I thought Kilgore said it was May?

139. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Gonat said… If Desi gets the bunt down, it moves Lombo to 3rd and easily scores on Bernadina's liner to LF. Fundamentals…… not the idiotic theory that the exact same thing would have happened…perhaps he's pitched differently? walked to set up dp? a dozen other possibilities?

140. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Wow 0 for 3 with RISP again. That is twice this game now. Desmond trying to bunnt on a high pitch, that almost never works, let it go and it is ball 1. A good bunt and if Roger hits the ball like he did we would score. As I said before we must have one of the lowest RISP averages (I think we actually have three hits today, however one didn't score a run).

141. Fear and Ignorance - May 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

142. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM

F&I: Compare jackson and lannan's avg innings per start last year

143. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Fear and Ignorance, were you complaining the same about Ejax when he was throwing his two-hitter against Reds in Nats park?

144. peric - May 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Why did Rizzo spend $11 million to sign Jackson, who has never been any better than Lannan? Couldn't that money have been better spent on offense?Probably because YOUR STATS date back to before Francis Galton (1886-1911) most of the smarter GMs don't USE YOUR stats. They use stats that do a better job of accurately modeling a player's performance.Man stop with the Lannan AAAA pitcher replacing EJax. There's just no comparison. EJax has pitched over 200 innings 3 years in a row, thrown a no-hitter, and pitched in playoffs and world series. Has Lannan? NO.

145. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

"Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever &^$% do it again."

146. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Bryce Harper's inexperience in calling off Espi almost cost the Nats. Turns into a nice 150 foot Web Gem. Bryce had to come a long way for that one!

147. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Harper made that wayyy toooo interesting… hmmmm he should have let Danny get it

148. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM

lannan 5.5…jackson 6.4…ejax went about an inning more a start..think about the wear and tear jackson saves on the pen

149. peric - May 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Couldn't that money have been better spent on offense?By all accounts (including Fielder) the Nats could have had Prince Fielder. Plenty of offense. They decided to go with the plan which means developing prospects to provide offense, i.e. Bryce Harper, Danny Espinosa, Roger Bernadina, Anthony Rendon, Ian Desmond, Ramos, Flores, etc. If you don't like it go watch the Ori'holes. They still like bringing on geezing quasi AAAA players to give them hitting.

150. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM

151. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

One of Espi's better at-bats. He recognized the curveball. It took a month to do it! What do they say, better late than never.

152. UnkyD - May 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Itd be nice to score more of these base runners, but if we simply put 10+ men on base, we'll win lots more than we lose… Good to see the bats waking up…

153. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

peric said If you don't like it go watch the Ori'holesenough of that go watch the o's crap

154. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Really glad to see Danny come around.I want this win! I can't believe the Braves swept the Cards… grrrrr.. stupid Braves.Oh.. and if Any Nats Front Office people are reading this. DO NOT have some going away party for Chipper at Nats Park. Just tell him, don't let the door hit you on the way out buddy.

155. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… OK….so with nobody out and a man on second only in the 6th inning, you're suggesting walking the 1 hole hitter to get to the 2 and 3 hole hitter?I can't believe a sac bunt was on and that Desi did that on his own. That was bad situational baseball on top of poor execution. May 13, 2012 7:03 PM ____________________________Hard to tell what was going on with that at-bat and if Davey put on a bunt. Desi's a better bunter than that. It was just poor executtion.

156. Fear and Ignorance - May 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

157. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Lannan f'in SUCKS..thats why they're paying him 5 million NOT TO PITCH!!!

158. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Time for the Goon Squad to check in.

159. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

one reason he has a lower era is because he gets yanked out of games so early…managers know all hell is about to bust loose..the third time through the order lannan is target practice

160. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

The relief pitcher for the Reds can't get a strike over. In the Flores at-bat, he throws a get me over fastball for strike 1 dead red which JFlo was in take mode, then he throws in a fastball coming in at JFlo's knee which he swings and misses and eventually K's. He throws 4 straight balls. Unfortunately JFlo swung at 2 of them. OUCH

161. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Uh….Jackson has ALWAYS been the better pitcher. That's why he's always wanted by somebody and Lannan isn't.

162. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Gonat/NatsJack I think JFlo will be fine defensively/ calling a game. Do you think it will take him a couple of days/weeks to settle in at the plate? He hasn't had much playing time. I don't expect him to have power, but figure he would be good average guy.Also, how would they use leon? Day game after a night game? Or will he become someone's personal catcher.

163. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Fear and Ignorance said… Peric-Yeah, that meaningless ERA stat is SOOOO outdated. 4.43 (Jackson) vs. 4.00 (Lannan). Jackson has never been the better pitcher, and there is a reason he has been on 7 teams in 10 years. He is not going deep into games like promised, and the bottom line is that he was really not needed. They needed offense, not another #5 pitcher. May 13, 2012 7:08 PM _______________________I agree. I made that argument before and after EJax was signed. The net gain of EJax pitching on average 1 more batter per game at a higher ERA isn't a net gain for this team.

164. CN - May 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

165. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

i would love a vanilla milkshake right now..is there a better beverage than a milkshake? no way

166. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Another RBI for Tracy — 7 pinch-hit ribbies this year.

167. Gonat - May 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Chad Tracy picks up Flores. The GOON SQUAD!!!! Where is JayB and his criticism of the bench?

168. CN - May 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

THAT was a pro at-bat by Tracy, fouling off 5 pitches and laying one out to RF to drive in Espi

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Good job Tracy.

170. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

ejax pitched 1 more inning per game..that is substantial

171. Joe Seamhead - May 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Wow! What an at bat by Chad Tracy!

172. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Ump's tired of standing in the rain.

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Man on third you cannot take a thrid strike. Just tap it foul like Tracy did, and get a pitch you like. That is what George Brett used to do so much. Rarely a called third strike.

174. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM

MicheleS.JFlo is gonna be fine calling pitches. Jacksons location got him in trouble, not the pitch call.Leon will only get maybe 3 out of 14 games. They may feel that he's developed enough defensively to keep him all season.

175. peric - May 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Peric-Yeah, that meaningless ERA stat is SOOOO outdated. 4.43 (Jackson) vs. 4.00 (Lannan). Jackson has never been the better \YOU TROT OUT YOURS AND for the 1000th time I will trot out my REAL mathematics created by folks who are reasonably proficient in modern mathematics. In other words they don't go doh every time someone mentions the world calculus.Adjusted/weighted to be Park and defense neutral2011 John Lannan 182.3 xIP, true ERA or tRA 5.04, pRAA of -15.1 Pretty close to the ABSOLUTE worst for any major league starter and he has had similar stats THREE YEARS IN A ROW!5.04 is Lannan's TRUE ERA. IT SUCKS whale protuberances!In 2012 Edwin Jackson has 38.8 xIP, a tRA of 2.93, and a pRAA of 4.8. STOP pushing AAAA Lannan who really isn't any better than JD Martin, Atilano, Mock, etc. In fact his stats were often worse!!!

176. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I have a feeling if is is even remotely close, the umps are going to be calling it. The rain is starting to come down again.

177. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Man…9 more outs is alot.

178. Fear and Ignorance - May 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM

NatsJack-Then why does he have a higher ERA if he is better? Feel free to go to http://www.fangraphs.com to make your lousy case.Peric-You mean those washed up veterans like Chad Tracy. Your right, good teams like the Cardinals, Yankees, Rays and Red Sox always play prospects over veterans. Get real!!! This isn't the MLB D-League!!!

179. Fear and Ignorance - May 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM

You're

180. peric - May 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Fear and Ignorance go watch the Orioles. They love ignorant fans who fear mathematics.

181. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I doubt there's anyone in organized baseball who would take Lannan over Jackson. It's not even close. Jackson's just a much better pitcher.

182. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

NatsJack, 7 more.

183. peric - May 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM

NatsJack-Then why does he have a higher ERA if he is better? Feel free to go to http://www.fangraphs.com to make your lousy case.Fangraphs puts ALL THE stats there sucker. If you are stoopid enough to just use the ERA then you will certainly have a crappy fantasy team. Many will rub their hands in glee as they take your money.

184. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM

fear and ignorance… I don't need fangraphs. I use scouts, GM's and cross checkers.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Good job Nattheus

186. baseballswami - May 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Is it my imagination or is this game taking FOREVER!! Things always feel so precarious during our games, even when we were leading by 3 or 4 a FEW times, I never breathed easy. I guess it comes with the territory of having been a nats fan since the beginning. Feelings of impending doom are around every corner. Hard habit to break.

187. peric - May 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Peric-You mean those washed up veterans like Chad Tracy. Your right, good teams like the Cardinals, Yankees, Rays and Red Sox always play prospects over veterans. Get real!!! This isn't the MLB D-League!!!What's the Nat's record right now brain fart? And how many more years are these players going to be playing for them? A lot.

188. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

This is just an observation..Lannan always seemed like a nibbler and really couldn't blow anyone away, EJax is a power pitcher and can chuck it up there. Regardless of salary, I would rather have EJax. (Plus it's not my money and lord knows many have called the Lerners cheap, I think we can dispell that if they are willing to fork out $$$ for a 4/5 pitcher on the MLB staff and to Park one in AAA)

189. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

So, this is officially a fantasy baseball site now? Sigh.Flame away, lads, I'll be in the cage.

190. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Swammi.. it is taking forever.. 6 more outs..Sec3.. thanks for answering the earlier questions from Euguene, I always wonder about that stuff too.

191. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Shark!

192. MicheleS - May 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Where would we be without ALR?SFNats.. it's the water.. Sharks like water.

193. SFNats - May 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM

LOL…You're right. Must be the water.

194. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM

The only fantasy I'm having is that the Nats are still battling for first place and the Phillies are in last. And it's not a fantasy, it's FANTASTIC.

195. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM

ALR playing all star baseball so far. Remember he is a slow starter, so wait until he gets going.

196. Fear and Ignorance - May 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Jackson is NOT a much better pitcher SFNats…he has 7 years worth of stats to prove it. Just because he has better stuff, doesn't make him a better pitcher. Ask anybody who was a fan of any of the teams he has pitched for in his career. I think they would all take Lannan from what I have heard. I am not even saying Lannan is better, just saying that Jackson isn't either, and not worth $11 million per year when the offense is at the bottom of the league.

197. Scott from Burke - May 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM

from F&I: I think they would all take Lannan from what I have heard.this sentence is so full of holes…

198. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I was gonna make a comment about our defense and errors lately and Desi commits one. Geez!

199. NatsJack in Florida - May 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM