May 13, 2012, 4:00 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Wilson Ramos receives help from Nationals trainers after injuring his right knee.
Updated at 11:10 a.m.
A Nationals club that already has been forced to overcome several significant injuries will have to overcome yet another one after catcher Wilson Ramos tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the seventh inning of Saturday night's 2-1 win in Cincinnati.
Ramos' knee buckled while trying to corral a ball that got away from him near the plate, and he immediately collapsed in a heap. After spending several minutes on the ground, head trainer Lee Kuntz and assistant trainer Mike McGowan helped the 24-year-old carefully walk off the field, not putting any weight on his right leg.
Ramos underwent an MRI to determine the extent of the injury, and Nationals manager Davey Johnson confirmed to reporters in Cincinnati this morning that the catcher will need surgery to repair a torn ACL. Ramos will miss most, if not all, of the rest of the season.
Jesus Flores finished the game and will take over as the Nationals' No. 1 catcher when Ramos is placed on the disabled list as expected. The 27-year-old, who had been considered the organization's long-termRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day