Game 35: Padres at Nats

May 14, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to bounce back from yesterday's crushing loss if the rain holds off.

After waiting out a 3-hour, 36-minute rain delay yesterday in Cincinnati, the last thing the Nationals want to do right now is sit through another long night of precipitation. Unfortunately, that may well be the case. Though it's not currently raining at Nationals Park, the tarp has been on standby-mode all afternoon, and the forecast is not promising.

Equally unfortunate is the fact this series is only two games, concluding tomorrow with a 1:05 p.m. getaway game against the Padres, who don't make another trip to D.C. If they have to, they'll try to play two tomorrow. But before they make that concession, they'll try everything they can to play tonight.

If and when they do get underway, Ross Detwiler will be on the mound for the Nationals, looking to get his team back on the winning track (and perhaps back into first place) after yesterday's crushing loss.

Plenty of updates — game and weather — to come, so please check back…

SAN DIEGO PADRES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Rain, 68 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF

SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
1B Adam LaRoche

1. baseballswami - May 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

From the previous thread – I think HRod for closer sometimes, especially if the lead is 2 or 3. But I also think Burnett or Stammen here or there. Stammen is just a bulldog, Burnett will need some more innings to stay sharp – he has cobwebs on his glove. Someone else warming in the bullpen in case of nuclear meltdown is probably a good strategy.

2. naterialguy - May 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Should be a huge turnout tonight. Get there early while there are still seats

3. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

swami — from the previous thread, I agree. Except that having Stammen as another Clip is an unbelievably valuable thing, and the two would be best kept in that role to spell each other and give Davey the flexibility to alternate games with each to avoid overuse on consecutive days.burnett, on the other hand, should be sharing closer roles with Henry. Give Henry much more "development" like the last week's and he's going to get gunshy.

4. sjm308 - May 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Also from the previous post – thanks for giving me multiple reasons to not support the team from the North. There are many in my family who grew up without baseball in this area and went north. I don't dispute their loyalty to Orange & Black but I now have even more ammunition for why I am not a fan. Hope we can get this in tonight. I also wonder why its just two two game series? I guess its hell to plan an entire schedule for 30 teams but its seems strange. I thought we played each team in the west 3 home and 3 away but I guess that is obviously not the case. Not that we need to discuss this right now but what happens when Houston moves to the AL? Is the schedule exactly even with 15 in each league?Go Nats!!No closer needed tonight! Detwiler then Stammen and Burnett will finish off a victory of 4+ runs.

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Nobody has seen Stammen in a closers role. Dont know until you try. Our hearts and stomach lining can't take much more of the Baaad Henry experiment.

6. JaneB - May 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I worry about how much more HENRY can take of the baaaaad Henry experiment.

7. JD - May 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM

8. Ann Ominous - May 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Not that we need to discuss this right now but what happens when Houston moves to the AL? Is the schedule exactly even with 15 in each league?They haven't announced anything yet regarding how the schedule will be made up next year. The only thing that is known is that there will need to be at least one interleague game every day all season long, due to the odd number of teams in each league.

9. JD - May 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Ann, And they are scrapping the 'rivalry' series as well which means that each division plays another division once on a rotating basis. As far as I'm concerned they can scrap the whole inter league thing.

10. Nats1924 - May 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM

whats the rule on Wang?can we trade him right away? Or do we have to wait a certain amount of time?I ask, cuz I read some teams are interested in him

11. sjm308 - May 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

JD – agree with scrapping the entire interleague concept. they won't do that but it would make the all-star game and more importantly, the World Series, intriguing since the teams would not have experience against each other. It just can't happen. I am also voting for reducing the season back to 154 games so we are actually finishing the season before the snow comes.I think they have to put CMW on the 25 man roster after 30 days of rehab so it does put us in sort of a bind. I can't wait to see how Davey & Rizzo handle this.

12. Ron In Reston - May 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

CMW was a free agent signing in the offseason, therefore he cannot be traded until the end of June.

13. Candide - May 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Wondering if Davey should have a conversation like this with HRod:"Henry, I think you and I and my cat all know that when you take the mound, you're either going to be unhittable, or unbearable – there's no middle ground. The problem seems to be that we don't know which until you've thrown a few pitches – but we almost always know pretty quickly. I don't think I'm doing you or the team any favors by leaving you out there when you don't have your command; So I'm going to have Sean or Craig or Gorzy or someone else warm up along with you so he can be ready to come in quickly if you're having a bad night."You're a helluva closer when you have your stuff, and I don't want to undermine your confidence by leaving you in to get shelled when it's clear you're having an off night. People might say I'm undermining your confidence by yanking you at the first sign of trouble, but screw them; there's not much that's more demoralizing than giving up a walkoff dinger. I'm not going to leave you in there to be a punching bag when we can shut a game down."So don't freak when I have someone warming up with you in the bottom of the eighth. Getting a hold might not be as good as getting a save, but it's better than getting a blown save or a loss. And we all know that if your game is off tonight, you'll probably be untouchable tomorrow."

14. sjm308 - May 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Nats1924 – I am certainly not the expert on this but I read somewhere (maybe here) that Wang can't be traded until June 1. Think that is also true concerning Jackson but I am not sure why.Personally, I don't want him traded until he has pitched more then 3 games for us and if he is as good as he was last year and at the beginning of Spring Training, I want him here for the duration. He has World Series experience and will be a huge plus when SS gets shut down. That is assuming he is pitching well though.

15. Ron In Reston - May 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

According to Kilgore, here's tonight's lineup:1. Ian Desmond, SS 2. Roger Bernadina, LF 3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B4. Adam LaRoche, 1B 5. Bryce Harper, RF 6. Danny Espinosa, 2B 7. Rick Ankiel, CF 8. Sandy Leon, C 9 Ross Detwiler P

16. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM

JD — had they limited Wang to pitching 8 innings, it would have been a quality start, with only 2 ER. The last two ERs came from a single and double from the first two hitters in the ninth. Still pretty efficient, only 84 pitches including in the ninth. Total hits don't matter that much if you can scatter them and strand the runners (or wipe them out on DPs, which Wang's sinker promotes).sjm308 — the NL scheduling outside the East is very weird this year. 4 home vs the Reds, 3 away. 2 home vs the Bucs, 3 away, same with the Padres.

17. bowdenball - May 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM

sjm308-Many of us grew up Orioles fans, and I have plenty of sympathy for long-suffering teams like the Orioles. I get along with the fans when they come to town for interleague play, discussing those mid-90s teams and their young talent. It's a totally different vibe from when the Mets or Phillies are in town, and I feel bad wishing such misery upon a mostly decent and dedicated group of fans.But the franchise itself is the sworn enemy of DC baseball. What they did, first in keeping baseball out of DC and then in extorting us for their pound of flesh when the move became inevitable, was inexcusable. I will never set foot in that park again, unless it's to cheer on the Nats during interleague play. I sincerely hope Peter Angelos never gets to see a playoff game in Camden Yards until the day he dies, and if he dies before the current 25 year MASN deal expires then I hope the misery continues after he is gone. Of course is an arbitrator ever actually gives us a truly fair market price for the Nats' TV rights before the deal expires, I wish them the best. But I doubt that happens.

18. A DC Wonk - May 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Not that we need to discuss this right now but what happens when Houston moves to the AL? Is the schedule exactly even with 15 in each league?From my point of view — I think having 15 in each league is really stupid. Bad planning. Sheesh.Now — just talking off the top of my head — and without being informed at all on the issues: what's wrong with just dealing with the 14/16 until you can get two more teams, to make it 16 teams in each league. Scheduling with 16 is way easier than scheduling with 14.

19. Faraz Shaikh - May 14, 2012 at 8:39 PM

multiple good news from Nats on DL; Morse, Drew, Lidge threw today and Morse swings tomorrow. Wang pitched 8+ innings of four-run ball. Lidge aims for 2nd-3rd week of June and Morse planning to DH against Boston at Fenway. Apparently Werth also saved 3 weeks by having surgery right away. Let's get our real team together soon. I want to start worrying about who to send down soon.

20. Gonat - May 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM

JD said… I looked at CMW line at AAA and it's not wonderful. 4 runs and 11 hits in 8 innings and just 1 strikeout. I think that at this time replacing Det with CMW would be a downgrade. I have been a supporter of CMW but I think he should only take Det's place if he is at least equal. May 14, 2012 4:06 PM ____________________________Not a great outing today. If his power sinker isn't sinking, it won't work. Wonder if weather played a factor.

21. Faraz Shaikh - May 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM

actually just read Mark's tweets. He covered everything. I missed it.Anyways, it is raining now in DC, right? that's what weather.com shows to me.

22. Faraz Shaikh - May 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM

actually Wang gave up two runs in 9th inning. reliever let both his inherited runners score. in my book, 8 innings and 9 hits (excluding his 9th inning appearance) is good stuff. wang was never a big strikeout guy, was he?

23. Tcostant - May 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I'm pretty sure CMW could be traded now. They had to wait until May 1st because he was re-signed after became a free agent. With that said, no team will trade for him until they see a few major league starts.Bottom line, CWM is likely a downgrade from Detwiler (at least this Detwiler), but Detwiler will be sent to the pen and then will see what happens.

24. Grandstander - May 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I live about 2 miles west of the park and it's a pretty steady rain right now. Looking at the forecast, I don't see how they're going to get this one in.I think I'm gonna sit this one out…

25. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Weather map shows rain starting a little while ago (though they've been suggesting it would start as early as 2). Essentially the front is moving up from North Carolina with large masses of rain and erratically forming blotches of dry weather that disappear or open up unpredictably. So it really isn't very predictable — could end up with relatively little rain or steady rain the whole time.

26. NatsNut - May 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

27. MicheleS - May 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM

During yesterday's game, it was determined that CMW and EJax, cannont be traded until Mid June. That has to do with the FA rules.

28. Nats1924 - May 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

not looking to trade Wang, just trying to see what the rules are. But, if someone makes a trade that is tough to turn down – Why not ?

29. NatsNut - May 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

June 16, 2012: First date that Clubs may trade an eligible free agent player who was signed after electing free agency

30. ehay2k - May 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

OK, I grabbed the weather map and quickly dragged it to the west, so the overlaid clouds slid east. That should take care of the rain for tonight! *<:o)Seriously, I hope the game is played. Let's just beat them for 5 innings, and then have the game called. Mother Nature gives the bullpen a rest.

31. NatsNut - May 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Oh, and I forgot that this changes this year:July 13, 2012: 5 p.m. ET, signing deadline for players selected in the First-Year Player Draft

32. NatsNut - May 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM

LOL ehay2k!!!

33. Gonat - May 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

NatsNut said… No, CMW can't be traded now. Mark, do you mind just posting the date in your masthead? =)That, and the explanation why Davey won't go with a 6-man rotation.And you can't trade draft picks.Thanks. May 14, 2012 4:51 PM _______________________________Davey won't go with a 6 man rotation because he said he won't plus he would have to give up a man in the bullpen or a bench player and with scheduled days off it means sometimes they are going 7 days.Also consider this, you have 3 Aces in Stras, Gio, JZim and Detwiler is pitching like a solid 2 or 3 who isn't going deep into games. EJax is pitching like a 4/5. Wang is a 4/5. You are just adding another pitcher who may give up 4 runs a game and that won't cut it in a 6 man on a team that can't consistently score more than 4 runs a game.

34. NatsLady - May 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Ya couldn't have done that yesterday in reverse so they call the game at the end of the seventh???_______________________________________________ehay2k said…OK, I grabbed the weather map and quickly dragged it to the west, so the overlaid clouds slid east. That should take care of the rain for tonight! *<:o)

35. Grandstander - May 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Larry Vanover behind home plate…

36. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I would hope Davey keeps Wang in Syracuse for the full 30 days or until he mows down batters consistently, whichever comes first.I agree that unless Wang regains the form he looked to have for those few innings against the Yanks in ST, he's a downgrade from Det. On the other hand, would anyone here really prefer Lannan to Wang once Stras is shut down? And then potentially having to get TWO more pitchers for the rotation next Spring (assuming EJax is gone to a multi-year contract somewhere else)? On the other hand, if Rosenbaum is ready (remembering he's still got to get promoted to Syracuse), he could be a fill-in for Stras if his shut down timing is close to what it was for JZimm (roughly coinciding with the Sept 1 callups).

37. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Make that, "On the other other hand, if Rosenbaum is ready…"

38. Traveler8 - May 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Mark, are the Nats playing over Game 34 to see if they can get it right this time? Isn't this Game 35?

39. Gonat - May 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Meanwhile, Lidge threw from 60 ft today, said he felt fine. Shooting for mid-June return. Storen also has begun throwing.___________________________________That is some welcome news.

40. NatsNut - May 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

@Gonat re: 6 man rotation,Dude, I KNOW. I just meant I want Mark to post the answer on his masthead because someone asks it every week (though it was more on washington post and masn than here) and I'm kinda tired of that discussion is all.

41. Steady Eddie - May 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Hey, either Mark just added the lineups, or no one else noticed that either: look at dat catcher. Sandy Leon, welcome to the Show!(Kilgore mentioned it in his NJ post on the lineups.)

42. Section 222 - May 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Hi Davey. Please see Candide's comment at 4:27 pm. It's really good.Looking forward to seeing Leon behind the plate tonight. May he give Rizzo and Davey a good reason to keep him here as the No. 2 catcher.@Gonat — NatsNut is a master (actually mistress) of sarcasm. Beware.

43. rdexposfan - May 14, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Under article XX Reserve System, B. Free Agency of the CBA, it states the following:(6) Miscellaneous(a) Any Club signing a contract after the expiration of the election period with a Player under this Section B may not assign his contract until after the next June 15. However, notwithstanding the foregoing, such contract may be assigned for other Player contracts and/or cash consideration of $50,000 or less prior to the next June 16 if the Player gives written consent to such transaction.

44. Another_Sam - May 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM

NatsJack — in an earlier thread, you nailed it. That's what we like about this game. It's not a series of colossal titanic battles [like the NFL marketing has fans thinking] It's the ebb and flow, the ballet of trends of a long and grueling season. I say: Play Ball.

45. Section 222 - May 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Here's your latest PSA — Tonight's game is scheduled to begin on time, at least for now. You can call (202) 675-6287 and press 5 to get up to date "inclement weather" info.

46. natsfan1a - May 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Two words: Countdown clock. You're welcome. :-)NatsNut said… No, CMW can't be traded now. Mark, do you mind just posting the date in your masthead? =) That, and the explanation why Davey won't go with a 6-man rotation. And you can't trade draft picks. Thanks. May 14, 2012 4:51 PM

47. natsfan1a - May 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Oh, on a gamey note (what?):Welcome, Sandy! Go, DET! Go, BATS! Go, NATS!!

48. MicheleS - May 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM

On a game note. I NEED to be able to watch a good game tonight. Bad day with DR and sinuses. Let's just say, I am giving BamBam a run for his money on red stuff on the face (no I didn't hit myself with anything – not that big of an idiot at this point in my life)

49. Scott from Burke - May 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Thomas Boswell :I'm sorry, but there is just no sane, effective way to go to six starters. My "How Stupid Would I Feel" rule absolutely applies. If you go to a six-man and it messes up, or contributes to injury, of Strasburg, Gio, Z'mann or Detwiler __when they are ROLLING and improving under the current system__ how stupid would you feel?This was never the Run at The Series year for the Nats. If they got a fast start (yes) and stayed healthy (NO), then maybe you fantacize about "is this the lucky year?" Even then I'd cut Strasburg off at 160 IP.But this is NOT the year to jerk around the top pitchers in a potentially great young staff so that two pitchers who may not be here next year __Jackson and Wang__ can all pitch.Besides, more Wang in a six-man means less starts for Gio and Z'mann. That's BAD. And it'd drive 'em nuts.It is what it is. Assuming Wang is ready and pitching well, you put him into the rotation and make Detwiler the Sixth Starter. Then, when Stras is shut down, you put Detwiler BACK in the rotation in September. He probably ends up with 15 starts and just enough innings __starting and relieving__ for him to be properly prepared to be full-time rotation in '13.This whole 160IP discussion is a complete waste of time. It's proper baseball, proper medicine and proper pro-ball ethics to shut down Strasburg. And it also lets Detwiler develop at a proper pace while giving Wang a chance to show what he is __which might be a very nice trade piece at the July 31 deadline if he pitched well from June 1 to July 31.This can all work out quite well. Even Lannan at AAA, ready to be a 5th starter in DC, gives you flexibility to consider a deadline trade.

50. MicheleS - May 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

NatsJack.. from previous post.. AMEN! It's a marathon not a sprint and we have 128/127 (depending on Mark's calculations) to get throught. We are going to have a few more days like yesterday (hopefully only a few).NatLady.. bringing the perspective on the Rangers/Cards. Thanks!

51. Pilchard - May 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

It's my understanding that the 160 IP limit also increases by 30 each year. IOW, to protect young pitchers, their innings total should not increase by more than 30 IP from one year to the next. If the Nats plan to live by that rule, the issues related to the innings limit will have a far greater impact than the 160 IP limit on SS this year.For example, that would put Jordan Zimmerman's limit at 190 IP this year (he threw 161 innings in 2011). No is talking about that, but if that applies, Jordan Zimmerman would be shutdown around start number 30 (about the 3rd week of September). Not a big issue if the Nats are 10 games out at that point, but if the Nats are in contention in late September, shutting down JZ too would essentially end all hopes of making the post-season. One last point, Ross Detwiler threw 153 innings last year. So, applying that same rule he would need to be shutdown in September as well. The innings limit issue is not a Strasburg only issue, nor is it a 2012 issue only as Strasburg would have 190 innings limit as well. Would be curious to hear the Nats comments about the impact of any limitation (or whether they will not apply any inning limitation) beyond the Strasburg 2012 issue, which is the only innings limit that is ever raised.

52. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Pilchard, one correction, it's not based on innings, but a percentage increase over innings thrown in the past, around 20% IICR. Better memories than mine, feel free to emend, please.

53. UnkyD - May 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Pilchard: it's my understanding that the pitchers age factors heavily in the equation, and once the pitcher reaches age 25, the limits are more of less disregarded… I could be mistaken…

54. NatsJack in Florida - May 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Pilchard. Both Jordan and Ross have reached that magic age of 25. Innings limits are off the board for them.

55. Gonat - May 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Nice ump call in Ryan's favor. Clearly a strikeout

56. jeffwx - May 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yeah…and votto is not in the lineup

57. Fear and Ignorance - May 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

So…FP compliments Zimmerman on taking a walk that wasn't a walk(with a guy on 3rd base) and LaRoche for hitting a ball so softly that they couldn't turn the double play and says that is how you get 100 RBI's??? Hilarious.

58. rdexposfan - May 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Buster Olney ‏ @Buster_ESPNJoey Votto with a four-pitch walk today; that's 32 walks in 34 games for him this season.

59. jeffwx - May 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

They should have walked him yesterday….play for the tie ;)

60. mick - May 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I could see Henry getting the Nats back to 500, lol

61. jeffwx - May 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM

E9

62. Scott from Burke - May 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

the clubhouse walls are nervous as an angry harper paces the room screaming epithats

63. Joe Seamhead - May 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM

OK, how many runs do we let this guy in RF let in before we get rid of him? He'll never be worth a can of beans. What's that, you say? Well, gosh, Davey, at some point you gotta stop sticking up for him.(before anybody jumps in my puddle, I am being sarcastic and goofing on yesterday's posts).GYFNG!

64. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Nicely done, Mr. Seamhead. Irony is not a strong suit of some Nats Insiders, it would appear.

65. RickH - May 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM

BRYCE! BRYCE! BRYCE!

66. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Ok, maybe he gets a 'get out of jail free card.'

67. MicheleS - May 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM

BAM BAM!!!

68. waddu eye no - May 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and a beauty!

69. Grandstander - May 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

How many more guys just hit the DL high-fiving Bryce after that?

70. rdexposfan - May 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I see another copyright from MicheleS.BAM BAM!!!

71. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Actually, I believe Desmond gave him the Bam Bam title.

72. TimDz - May 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Not to be buzzkill here, but there is some MAJOR shiznet coming coming the southwest …Get this game official …

73. MicheleS - May 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

NO way.. this just sucks

74. RickH - May 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Snakebit. Adjective. See Washington Nationals.

75. Dryw Loves the Nats - May 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM

No! It's not possible! Is it? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

76. MicheleS - May 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Who is next on the list for catchers? Maldanado?

77. Drew - May 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM

My God, it's the house of horrors.

78. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM

there is a curse in DC, I am convinced

79. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

a loss to this team would be a bad loss

80. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

That looked like it was very bad. My goodness, I'm thinking cursed.

81. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Detwiler lost his mind again. Didn't check the runner. Issues a walk on a from 1-2 count.

82. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Perfect time for a pitchout with the pitcher up

83. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

if they dont go 6 and a half, Bryce won't have his first HR

84. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM

i meant 5

85. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Um, yes he will.

86. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

not sure about Detweiler long term

87. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Ross is given a 3 run lead and he gives it right back. Just awful.

88. MicheleS - May 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM

It looks like this shower will pass soon, they should be able to finish this game. Good Lord, even FP was asking about Pudge.

89. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Ross and HRod cant leave dC fast enough. once Storen and KLidge are back it should be bye bye Henry, once wang is back, bye bye Det

90. Fear and Ignorance - May 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM

You knew it was only a matter of time before the real Detwiler showed up. That was not a good sign.

91. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

92. rdexposfan - May 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Mick weren't you calling for ALR to be run out of town last year? good judge of talent

93. Dryw Loves the Nats - May 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I think if my son played for Syracuse, I'd tell him to move home and take up a safer career, like, say, alligator wrestling.

94. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

His catcher got hurt and he got rattled. I'm not sure I would call that the "real" Detwiler. Yes, you'd like to see him battle back better than that, but cut the guy a little slack. He's been lights out this season. Everyone has a bad day.

95. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Mick's knowledge of baseball rivals my keen grasp of particle physics.

96. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Oh, good grief! Now Det's gotta go, too? Man, I'm glad you guys aren't the manager. Or my boss.

97. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Ok – so all of our pitchers have had "that game" lately. Detweiler's era has been miniscule. Did you really expect that he would not have an iffy game ever? He is the least experienced of our pitchers, he was with a brand new catcher and the weather is awful, the last week has been a roller coaster. You are ready to throw him under the bus now? He has had one shaky inning previous to this.

98. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM

yup as Carl Spackler would say, i think we missed the heavy stuff, lol

99. pdowdy83 - May 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM

100. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Gonat said… Perfect time for a pitchout with the pitcher up May 14, 2012 8:25 PM ________________________Pitcher up, come on Nats.

101. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM

i got your particle physics right here, lol

102. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Yes its a clean play at the plate but I'd send a little message to Padres after they injure your catcher and steal 3rd base and do a squeeze.Why? It was, as you say, a clean play, meaning you'd do the same in his situation. Then YOU fell asleep, not once but twice, and for that you want to drill somebody?

103. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Hey, Mick knows about pitchers. He's on his third one by now.

104. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM

LOL!

105. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM

pdowdy83 said… Some of you "fans" are a joke. Always have to have someone to bitch about. I guess Espinosa is hitting well enough the last few games you are off that bandwagon and on to the get rid of detwiler bandwagon. Give me a freaking break already. The guy has been the best 5th starter in the league. Roy Halladay gave up 8 runs in a game this year and nobody was calling for his head. Yea it sucks that he gave the lead back but really? Get rid of him? May 14, 2012 8:36 PM _____________________________-I agree about the kneejerk "get rid of" comments however some of these plays of frustration have to end. Detwiler is hurting the team with his tantrums. Grow up, the umps make bad calls all the time.

106. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM

hee hee

107. Scott from Burke - May 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Gonat said…Ross is given a 3 run lead and he gives it right back. Just awfulGonut: you are "Just awful"

108. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:43 AM

109. Drew - May 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Ross's ERA has ballooned to 2.54.Lighten up, Francis. Ross isn't going anywhere.

110. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM

you all like Det now

111. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Davey looks mad, i have never seen him mad before. That may be a good sign

112. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM

OK, now that the "I gave up Bryce Harper's first MLB home run" sweepstakes is over, maybe the kid will see a few more fastballs occasionally. We can but hope.

113. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM

you call me Francis, i'll kill ya, lol

114. Scott from Burke - May 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM

settle down francis

115. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I love Ross. Have since they drafted him. But he's not doing himself any favors with this game. Wang's got one more rehab start to go.

116. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM

lets bust this game open

117. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Sec3 Not a big fan of taking advantage of a player's injury but I guess the Nats would do the same.Maybe.

118. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Mick, you are totally getting called Francis from now on, you know that, right?

119. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Yes indeed. C'mon Zim!

120. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM

there has to be a reason padres are 12-20

121. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

section 3, lol and I'll kill ya

122. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

SFNats said… True, Gonat. Ross needs to settle down and not let questionable calls rattle him, but it's hardly a reason to run him out of town. May 14, 2012 8:43 PM ____________________________I'm not running him out of town. I blame Ross for the meltdown however where was McCatty to call "time" and calm him down.

123. Scott from Burke - May 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

was watching my ny rangers…how bad was injury to the catcher?

124. TimDz - May 15, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Scott…It's "lighten up, Francis…"

125. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Exposremains, Leon was doing a great job of fully blocking the plate. Old School, even. If Headley tries to slide wide there, he has no way to get to the plate, even from the back, as far as he knows with the trow in the air. Headley did what most MLB players do, and are taught to do, in that situation — if you arrive at the same time as the ball, and the catcher is blocking the plate, you take him out. You just do. Sucks when people get hurt, but that's what you do.

126. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Right, Gonat. Didn't mean to make it sound like you were. I dunno about McCatty. You would think that he might have taken a little trip out to the mound.

127. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM

128. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Light one up, Francis. Mellow out.

129. mick - May 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM

You just made the list, Sec 3 and TimDz And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you …… touch me, and I'll kill you. LOL

130. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM

He rolled his ankle, Scott. They had to help him off the field. Looked DL-bad to me, but we'll see what they say after the game.

131. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Espinosa just swung at six pitches out of the strike zone, fouling three of them off, only to watch strike three go right down the middle.Jeez…

132. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

The offense is better and somehow the result has been more missed opportunities.

133. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I'm not ready to drag Pudge back in, just when he thought he was out, but I wouldn't mind picking up the hotel bill and asking him to hang out in DC for the next week or so.

134. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Actually, Danny fouled four off, all out of the zone, only to watch the only strike hat was thrown to him.

135. djinFl. - May 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Watched Wang this afternoon and he did not look ready. 11 hits and 1 strikeout against a last place triple A team.Teahen drove in a run, and I believe the announcers said that was 9 out of 17 RISP for him. That is an acceptable average.

136. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Sprained ankle on Leon. Better news than I was expecting.

137. Dryw Loves the Nats - May 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Jesus!

138. Dryw Loves the Nats - May 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM

(but not Jeeeeeezus! He's pitching tomorrow.)

139. MicheleS - May 15, 2012 at 1:14 AM

JFLO!!! whatever your beliefs are, lets go for the prayer chain or Happy Thoughts circle to keep this guy healthy

140. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 1:14 AM

That ball was high and outside and Jesus just poked it right where he wanted it to go. Great job.

141. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM

DESMOND! Way to make up for the error in a big way.

142. MicheleS - May 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Dang.. It's a Hard Times wings night and I am not at the game

143. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Gee, how about a couple of tips of the hats for Davey, first for the hit and run, then for Stammen's sac bunt, which by moving Flores to 2nd , resulting in the second run scoring on Desi's double. Good managing!

144. JaneB - May 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM

A sprained ankle on a catcher isn't the same as a sprained ankle on other people. I hope we pull this game out so it's not all for naught.

145. Scott from Burke - May 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM

i'm atheist but i love jesus

146. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 1:24 AM

and if I am ever sitting in the front row there, I am painting my glove green and bringing it with.

147. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Scott: you can keep you jokes for youself

148. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Me: So why do you suppose they didn't give Bryce the silent treatment?Sec. 2, My Sofa: "He can't take rejection, they're afraid he'll hurt himself again."

149. Faraz Shaikh - May 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM

OMG. Just saw video of Leon getting injured.

150. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Zim! Haven't seen that great defense on the bunt in a while!

151. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Ohhhhh Klip! I got my Maalox and Vodka ready for Henry in the 9th. Maybe Burnett will do it since Henry is tired.

152. Faraz Shaikh - May 15, 2012 at 1:44 AM

first thought I got was putting a runner on 2nd who tries to score on a single for us and thrashes some opponent's catcher.Incredible run of injuries.Poor Leon! hope it is not as worst as I think.

153. Faraz Shaikh - May 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM

put Henry please.

154. A DC Wonk - May 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Hey JayB, getta load of this bench ;-)

155. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM

all these shots of HRod in the bullpen, he looks nervous and terrified.

156. pdowdy83 - May 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM

You guys remember a few years ago when we had Kip Wells as the closer for awhile?Whatcha think about HRod after that terrifying thought?

157. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM

2 HRs by the Goon Squad. Putting away my Maalox

158. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM

JayB, what say you?

159. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Exposremains said… all these shots of HRod in the bullpen, he looks nervous and terrified. May 14, 2012 9:51 PM _____________________________He read this blog about Javy Guerra. 3 run lead now so Henry is relaxing.

160. pdowdy83 - May 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Is anybody still fussing about having Tracy on this team?

161. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I'm fussing about Tracy playing in Japan last year while we were sitting on Matt Stairs.

162. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I don't know if I can watch. I think I need somebody to hold my hand.

163. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Put in Burnett right now

164. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Don't like Hrod demeanor, he looks already beaten. Hope he can turn it around, it would be good for him.

165. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 15, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I remember reading somewhere long ago that Richard Burton had paralyzing stage fright. Used to throw up his guts before going onstage. Of course, as much as he is said to have drunk, he probably did that when he got up in the morning, too, but the point is, maybe it doesn't correlate with results.

166. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM

pdowdy83 said… Is anybody still fussing about having Tracy on this team? May 14, 2012 9:54 PM ______________________________Would love to see some old posts on people fussing about Tracy.

167. Fear and Ignorance - May 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM

You have to warm somebody up…they cannot blow this game!!!

168. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM

C'mon, Henry. Fight through it.

169. Joe Seamhead - May 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Oh,my!

170. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 2:00 AM

This is not fair to him or the team.

171. pdowdy83 - May 15, 2012 at 2:01 AM

See any of JayB's posts about how Rizzo failed to improve the bench

172. Drew - May 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Get the freaking straitjacket and the tranquilizer gun.

173. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM

pdowdy83 How can you possibly think about needling Jayb at a time like this?!

174. phil dunton - May 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Davey Johnson has a death wish!

175. pdowdy83 - May 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Just trying not to focus on what is happening in the game lol

176. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM

No – he just truly believes that if he shows a guy he has confidence in him – it will make him ok.

177. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Is anyone warming? Need Burnett for Alonzo dear God.

178. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM

At least last night he got two outs first.

179. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Another low leverage situation. Bottom of the order to the top with a 3 run lead.

180. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Burnett's warming

181. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 2:06 AM

This is killing me.

182. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM

This is just painful to watch

183. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Davey, about freaking time.

184. hiramhover - May 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Henry certainly seems to be brimming with confidence out there tonight.

185. Gonat - May 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Couldn't you have done this 2 batters ago?

186. phil dunton - May 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I hope that is the last time we ever have to see Henry.

187. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Ha ha coaching visit to mound… "Henry, maybe throw some strikes?"

188. A DC Wonk - May 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM

All those who wanted to see Burnett in this position . . . Here he comes

189. Faraz Shaikh - May 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Shouldn't boo your player. that's rude.

190. Fear and Ignorance - May 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM

So pathetic. How can a major league pitcher have no idea where the ball is going. I just don't get it. Maybe he can play CF like Ankiel did after this happened to him.

191. Kevin - May 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Shades of Joel Hanrahan circa 2009 … thanks Davey for finally pulling Bad Henry.

192. Grandstander - May 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

I can't believe it took this long. Finally. Even FP and Sunshine Bob Carpenter couldn't believe he was still in there.Giving up hits is one thing but the walks, MY GOD, the walks!!!

193. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Not really fair to Burnett who has not had many innings lately. If this goes south like the other 2 in the PAST WEEK it's on Henry and Davey , not Sean. This is just so demoralizing to the rest of the team — they have been battling for 3 freaking hours.

194. phil dunton - May 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Johnson either is senile or he has brain damage.

195. mick - May 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Like I said, Henry can get us to 500, lol

196. Exposremains - May 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Nats just found out that Hrod is not a closer, he's a good reliever

197. mick - May 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM

any Henry fans want to defend him?

198. John - May 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Outside of Ryan Perry, every other current member of the bullpen is capable of replacing HRod as the temporary closer.

199. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Deja vous all over again.

200. SCNatsFan - May 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM