May 15, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg faces his hometown team today at Nationals Park.
Davey Johnson has managed clubs that were forced to deal with injuries, but never quite like this. "This team has been beat up more than any other team I've had," the 69-year-old manager said this morning. And yet the Nationals enter today's series finale against the Padres again in first place in the NL East, convinced they can continue to contend despite the growing disabled list.
The latest player added to the DL, of course, is Sandy Leon, the rookie catcher who suffered a serious ankle sprain last night in the fourth inning of his big-league debut. Leon was officially placed on the 15-day DL today, with 33-year-old veteran Carlos Maldonado promoted from Class AAA Syracuse to become the Nats' new backup catcher. (Starter Wilson Ramos, meanwhile, was transferred to the 60-day DL to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Maldonado.)
The best way to overcome injuries is through pitching, and the Nationals have plenty of that. Today, ace Stephen Strasburg takes the mound to face his hometown team for the first time. Coming off a 13-strikeout performance against the Pirates, Strasburg will look to improve to 4-0 on the season.
There's still some rain in the forecast, but the sun is shining at the moment. Check back for live updates and analysis…
SAN DIEGO PADRES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Scattered storms, 74 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF
SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game