May 15, 2012, 2:13 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper gets a curtain call after hitting his first career homer.
Game in a nutshell: Bryce Harper's first career homer set the early tone for the night, but the Nationals were forced to rally after starter Ross Detwiler gave up five runs. Perhaps negatively affected by the loss of rookie catcher Sandy Leon to a scary-looking ankle injury, Detwiler put his teammates in a 5-4 hole. No problem, because Ian Desmond responded with a two-run double in the sixth, and Chad Tracy and Xavier Nady added solo homers in the ninth to provide some cushion for Henry Rodriguez. And the beleaguered closer needed it, because he walked the bases loaded with one out, forcing Davey Johnson to summon Sean Burnett to bail him out. Which Burnett did by inducing a game-ending, 1-2-3 double play.
Hitting highlight: It was bound to happen eventually, and it didn't disappoint when it did finally happen. With two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the third, Harper crushed a 2-1 breaking ball from Tim Stauffer over the center-field fence and well up the grass batter's eye for his first career home run. The 19-year-old became the youngest major leaguer to homer since Adrian Beltre in 1998 and got a curtain call from the announced crowd of 19,434.
Pitching highlight: After Detwiler labored through five innings, Johnson was forced to turn to his bullpen earlier than usual. NoRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats