Strasburg, Nats not so hot in loss

May 15, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT

Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg suffered his first loss of the season this afternoon.

The lore of Stephen Strasburg includes a 14-strikeout debut. It includes a triple-digit fastball and a knee-buckling curveball. And it includes, to date, a wildly successful recovery from Tommy John surgery.

It may now also include the case of the unfortunately placed ointment.

As if the top of the first inning of today's 6-1 loss to the Padres — featuring a routine fly ball falling between three Nationals fielders, a sudden deluge requiring an eight-minute rain delay and three San Diego runs — wasn't strange enough for Strasburg, manager Davey Johnson suggested afterward his young ace was also bothered by the misapplication of some heating balm.

"I can't really tell you what the problem was, but some hot stuff got misplaced," Johnson said in cryptic fashion. "It was on his shoulder, and evidently … I don't know how it got to where it got. But it wasRead more ยป

1. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Happens in our bathroom all the time. Jesus, here's the solution:Ben-Gay on the top shelf.Toothpaste on the bottom shelf.NEVER get them mixed up.

2. Mr. Doggett - May 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Why do I get the feeling Stras is trying his hardest not to burst into hysterics? "Tough conditions all around?" Are you kidding me? He might as well come out and say it :)Gio would ;)

3. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM

This last week has just been weird on so many levels.

4. Swift Eagle - May 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I guess today Stras really was a "Fire-balling pitcher"

5. SFNats - May 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM

The lesson here for you kids at home is: Always scratch yourself before you apply the Icy Hot.

6. peric - May 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Okay has to be the most hilarious post ever! Of course if they said that Henry he would still get skewered along with Gorzelanny. ~wry grin~

7. SonnyG10 - May 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM

If Stras's ointment got to where I think it got to, he has my sympathy and admiration. That happened to me once when I was a young lad and I remember I was in agony. I sat in a bathtub of ice cold water trying to turn the heat down. I can't imagine trying to pitch a ball game while going through that.

8. baseballswami - May 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Do you ever wonder what a day in the life of Steve McCatty is like? Has he really seen and heard it all?

9. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Post of the day candidate:Swift Eagle said… I guess today Stras really was a "Fire-balling pitcher"(Fill in your own joke here.)

10. NatsLady - May 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Cueto getting shelled in Atlanta, where no outfielders let fly balls drop in and it's not raining (can't speak to the Hot Stuff). These Aces–just can't be trusted.

11. peric - May 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Davey's lesson of the day: Use your head for something other than a hat rack or your easily avoided errors get aired in public.

12. peric - May 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Yes aces are as bad as closers they can't be trusted. Only long relievers from Ohio.

13. waddu eye no - May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

maybe stras should change his walk on music to some buster poindexteror make sure that the fly goes in the ointment, not vice versathat's enough. i'm getting on my own nerves already. glad i was there for the HR, though. and back tomorrow.

14. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Wait, so the strawberry ointment doesn't actually go ON your strawberries??

15. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Maybe he can have some new walkup music.

16. NatsLady - May 16, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Leon really could be back in four weeks? Hard to believe, but if true then there is no reason to make a panic trade, is there?

17. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

So, you're saying that if he was a reliever, his entrance music would be this? All together now: that's gotta hurt. :-)

18. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

sorry, wadddueye, meant to credit you on the walkup music

19. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM

And we totally have to get McCatty on a wired Wednesday. I'll bet the two mound visits today were classics. :-)Seriously, Stephen did seem to be having problems getting a grip in the first. Should we be worried about why he was using the ointment to start with?Re. our offense, I wasn't here in those days, but it reminded me of stories I'd heard about the Senators of Frank Howard's day. The Nats lost, and Harper homered.That was a dopey rain delay. It did cause us to strike up a conversation with the gent next to us, though. I was joshing about the umps not hustling back onto the field afterwards, and he somewhat sheepishly revealed that he was an ump. Kinda cool to have one's own personal ump sitting nearby. I kept asking him stuff. So, what do you think of that guy's strike zone? Shouldn't there have been an error there? And so forth and so on.

20. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM

This could work, too.

21. Faraz Shaikh - May 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM

nice pick, sec 3. good way to keep non-nats fans away from park.

22. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM

ohnevermind. They just use it to limber up before a start.

23. waddu eye no - May 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

sec 3 – credit or blame?btw – daughters bday party in sec 115 row bb tomorrow. anyone around? it would be nice to meet some of my anonymous friends there. but there won't be cake.

24. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

"I can't really tell you what the problem was, but some hot stuff got misplaced," Johnson said in cryptic fashion. "It was on his shoulder, and evidently … I don't know how it got to where it got. But it was uncomfortable, to say the least."WASH HANDS WELL BEFORE YOU GO TO #1

25. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Or scratch.Oh, I meant to ask. Do they always list "Ferris Bueller, Central High" among the scoreboard announcements for day games on weekdays? Can't recall seeing it before. Funny. :-)

26. ehay2k - May 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Hmm… what about "White Heat, Red Hot' by Judas Priest? Or Snoop Dogg's "Drop it While it's Hot"?Maybe best would be MIMS' "This is Why I'm Hot"In ten years, Strasburg will laugh about this. But on Sunday, he will plan to take his frustrations on the O's.

27. peric - May 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Courtesy of Luke Skywalker … er Erickson at NationalsProspects.com:Top Prospect Anthony Rendon update from Houston, Texas

28. peric - May 16, 2012 at 2:24 AM

His walk up music should almost certainly be "Great Balls of Fire".

29. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Interesting twist on "He pitches like his hair is on fire."

30. naterialguy - May 16, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Gonaditude

31. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 16, 2012 at 4:39 AM

32. NatsLady - May 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Since we have a series with the Barves (that's NOT a typo) coming up, I just had to post this link:an-absolute-sick-burn-on-the-braves-and-mlbhttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/15/quote-of-the-day-an-absolute-sick-burn-on-the-braves-and-mlb/

33. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Could be. Dude has tons of energy, as sick as he is.That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter said… 1a, I heard that Ferris saw 1776 the other night. I guess he's in town; maybe he was there today? Seems someone here prolly woulda heard about it, though. May 16, 2012 12:39 AM

34. 320R2S15 - May 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

It concerns me that everybody is talking about the weather,atomic "balm", stuff like that, why do we need to go there at all. The Nats lost, Strasburg had a bad day,let's move on. Everyone needs to shut up and play. The center fielder needed to take charge on that texas lgr. The Shark had no business taking the blame for that, again, just stop all the talking and play baseball.

35. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Seeing as how have almost 12 hours until they play, I vote for continuing the chit-chat. :-)

36. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

But if we're going to assign blame, there was also the little matter of the Nats bats. ;-)

37. 320R2S15 - May 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Yea, where the heck is Zimmerman? any body know why he only uses the inner half of the plate?

38. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

39. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

40. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

41. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Just saw this on the Nats site. Atta way, Bob! (And this is the perfect opportunity for Billy to start partaking of that tasty red Nats beverage – right, Michele? ;-)) "Nationals TV broadcaster Bob Carpenter will be doing the play-by-play for the Nationals-Orioles game for FOX this Saturday at Nationals Park. His partner in the booth will be former Major Leaguer Billy Ripken. Carpenter, who has been the TV play-by-play voice of the Nationals since 2006, will also do the Nationals-Orioles game on June 23 for FOX when the teams play at Camden Yards. " May 16, 2012 8:13 AM

42. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

On another note, interesting tidbit for anyone who is in search of a media guide. As usual, early in the season I check at stores and stands to see whether they're in. As usual, no dice so far. But yesterday a gal at the team store on the club level said that they had been "lost in the stockroom" and that another batch had to be printed up. (How do you lose a shipment of media guides in the stockroom?) She couldn't say when more would be available. Oddly enough, I just checked and the guides are showing up for sale on e-bay from a number of different sellers. Things that make you go hmmmm….and it just happens to be the Bryce Harper rookie year guide. I'm just saying, "lost in the stockroom"…

43. Brother Juniper - May 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM

We should try the ointment on Henry – give him something to think about other than that guy he just put on first.Funny that Davey just had to tell the story.

44. MicheleS - May 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM

1A.. Billy said he would start drinking the KoolAid if the Nats were still in it by the AllStar Break. Don't worry, I plan on holding him to it.Brother Juniper. For Henry, I was thinking a garter belt, or something so he can breathe through his eyelids.

45. ehay2k - May 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Oh, I see a branding opportunity for the makers of Kool-Aid – put a Curly W on the packets and watch the sales go Bang! Zoom!On second thought, you're probably only talking about 20K-30K additional sales, which probably won't cover the printing costs.As you were, Mr. Kool-Aid.

46. Tcostant - May 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I think this was a prank go wrong, why else would Stras want to "keep inside the clubhouse". If Gilbert can poop in a shoe, doesn't mean that someone wouldn't put icey hot on a jock.

47. hokiepokster92 - May 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Tcostant,I think you hit it on the head. This was a cllubhouse prank gone awry. If so, it was stupid because it probably cost them yesterday's ballgame.If you want to prank Stras before a spring training start, that's fine. But why would you do it prior to a regular season start? This club is already dealing with enough issues. When your ace takes the mound, you have to take advantage and lock up a win, especially when facing one of the worst teams in the NL.

48. natsfan1a - May 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Maybe they were trying to prank someone else and accidentally targeted the wrong, um, equipment.

49. ehay2k - May 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Davey's postgame clubhouse rant: "It's supposed to be a hot FOOT!"

50. Tcostant - May 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Thanks. I couldn't agree more. If you must do something like this, make it after POST_GAME shower.