Game 37: Pirates at Nats

May 16, 2012, 7:42 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Left-handers Gio Gonzalez faces Erik Bedard tonight at Nationals Park.

The last time Erik Bedard took the mound, the left-hander lasted all of eight pitches before departing with back spasms. That was seven days ago, against the Nationals, who then proceeded to score two runs in eight innings against five Pirates relievers.

Bedard is back on the mound tonight for the first time since that incident, facing the same Nationals lineup, which can only hope to enjoy more success against the lefty … or whatever relievers end up in the game for Pittsburgh. Davey Johnson is going with a bunch of right-handed hitters, including Tyler Moore and Xavier Nady.

Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, starts for the Nats, looking to bounce back from a shaky outing in Cincinnati on Friday. Gonzalez was dealing with a sore right hand that evening, the lingering effects of his awkward slide into third base his previous time out.

Updates to come, so please check back…

PITTSBURGH PIRATES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to CF

SS Ian Desmond
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. Marty - May 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM

The outfield makes me a bit nervous from the fielding side… Davey must have really liked that Nady home-run the other day to put him 5th.

2. Grandstander - May 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Nady and Moore should be switched, but this is the lineup I expected.

3. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Grandstander, why would you put Moore in right?

4. Another_Sam - May 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I don't like this outfield lineup either, but hey, I'm not the manager. Play ball.

5. peric - May 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I don't think Tyler Moore has ever played right field …Nady isn't too bad in right field. Mayhap Grandstander was thinking of the right handed pull hitters hitting lots of chances to left field against the left-handed Gonzalez? I think its kind of hard to hide and that side of the field will be vulnerable with newbie outfielders Moore and Harper.

6. Mr. Doggett - May 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I like Harper in center. Give your most talented player the most possible opportunities to make plays. Take the bad with the good because the good is SOOO good.

7. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM

No, he has never played right, at least not professionally.

8. peric - May 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Ooops I guess he meant switching Moore and Nady in the batting order …

9. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I think its kind of hard to hide and that side of the field will be vulnerable with newbie outfielders Moore and Harper. OTOH, they are not likely to stand there looking at each other as a popup falls 15 feet in front of both of them. So there's that.

10. do1teach1 - May 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Kind of a re-post question for any SABR experts out there:Does Ryan Zimmerman get in more 1-2 counts than any everyday player in baseball?I think he does. Can someone tell me?Thanks

11. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Ooops I guess he meant switching Moore and Nady in the batting order …Oh.Nevermind.

12. Theophilus T. S. - May 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM

An "oops" from Peric — call the National Archives.All of Harper's adventures in the OF — left, center, right — gotta have Davey reaching for the TUMS, or valium, or both.I do think he can play CF, eventually, but right now it's difficult to watch at times.

13. A DC Wonk - May 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I like Harper batting 2d. But, then — is Nady the best "protection" for LaRoche available here? It's time for Flores to suddenly break out.

14. phil dunton - May 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It is time for Ryan Zimmerman to step up and start earning his $100 million contract. His power and clutch hitting have totally disappeared and he's probably hit into more rally killing double plays than any player in the NL.

15. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Tyler Moore with a rare start. Once they go to the bullpen, I am sure Bernadina and Ankiel will enter the game.No Lombo, again. Can't Danny get a day of rest even if you think one of the worst slumps is over?

16. David - May 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Zimm was hot before his shoulder injury. give him time. it'll come back….

17. Steady Eddie - May 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Mark — probably no word on how both of Gio's hands are doing, so as not to tip off the Bucs to anything before it happens.Guess we'll see by how much of his curve is there, and whether he swings away or just tries to bunt.

18. peric - May 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Hopefully Gio will be careful with the icy hot.

19. A DC Wonk - May 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

20. peric - May 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

No Lombo, again. Can't Danny get a day of rest even if you think one of the worst slumps is over? Seems like Lombo started more games in the infield than Chad Tracy or Mark DeRosa. He's already been in a lot? Thanks to the injuries he was playing a lot. Now with LaRoche and Zimmerman back its tapered off some.

21. A DC Wonk - May 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

do1teach1 said…Kind of a re-post question for any SABR experts out there:Does Ryan Zimmerman get in more 1-2 counts than any everyday player in baseball?not ignoring you, but have no idea how to compare it to other players, except one-by-one.Here are the guys on not Nats with the most plate appearances:(times reached a 1-2 count; plate appearances)Zimmerman 30 of 104, 29%Espinosa: 46 of 147, 31%LaRoche 31 of 126, 25%Desmond 42 of 166, 25%Werth 35 of 113, 31%Ramos 30 of 96, 31% Amongst those guys, RZ seems average, no?

22. JamesFan - May 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I don't like pushing Harper all over the place in the outfield. He's 19 and struggling in the outfield. If he's the future centerfielder, fine put him there and let Ankiel switch back and forth in right or left. If he's the placeholder for Werth, OK put him there an leave him there. I just don't think it does anyone any good to play a different position every night.

23. Grandstander - May 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yes, I meant in the batting order, not on the field.

24. Theophilus T. S. - May 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM

DC Wonk — re: two-strike counts, one way of looking at it is that Zimmerman, among the group is average. Another way would be that all of them take a lot of pitches. I think Johnson, in a rare moment of candor a few days ago, suggested he thinks they are — all of them — taking too many pitches. (If he didn't say it out loud, I guess I imagined it. But he should have said it loudly behind closed doors.)

25. Bigfish - May 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM

And a shout-out of thanks to those folks who responded to my (very late) post (on another thread) asking for stats on RZim's propensity to hit into DP's. Y'all are cool.

26. peric - May 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

If he's the future centerfielder, fine put him there and let Ankiel switch back and forth in right or left. Perhaps not. Corey Brown is on fire in Syracuse. Already has 7 home runs to lead the team along with Tyler Moore. And he is being groomed to bat lead off. The competition continues for outfield spots. LaRoche may get to stay at first base until Skole is ready because both bat left-handed. Then there's Tyler Moore and Chris Marerro. Bernadina is still in the mix. Best to just let it play out and see where everyone lands.

27. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Wilson Ramos back at Nats Park today. Won't have surgery for 2-3 weeks. Says no chance of returning this year_________________________Tough to read those words. His offensive numbers were near the top of the team for OBP and OPS and much better than Ryan Zimmerman. Hoping that JFlores and come close to those numbers or exceed them. That .354 OBP will be hard to get to. Wilson had also just found his power stroke and walk-off stroke. He had a HR on the day he was injured and another HR 4 days before that.

28. mick - May 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I did watch some of the O's game last night. I hate to admit it, we have a tough series coming up. Regardless of what happens, ol Mick aka Francis will be very happy this weekend watching my baby girl graduate college up in the Bronx. She is a sweetheart with one flaw…. her freaking boy friend and family are die hard Mets fans and obnoxious about it!

29. peric - May 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Zimmerman's wOBA is about .320. That's below average the average mean about .340. His pRAA is at the median mark at 0.0. Long at bats are nice to tire a pitcher but nothing works better than getting big hits, getting on base and putting pressure on the pitcher while creating one huge distraction.The only better way is by scoring runs. Some pitchers are able to settle down after allowing runs … but most seem to find a way to get deeper into trouble as the pressure increases.Batting Zimmerman third is definitely hurting the Nats offensively at this stage. He typically breaks out in big way … hopefully that occurs around the end of May through a very tough June.

30. peric - May 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM

31. A DC Wonk - May 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM

re: two-strike counts, one way of looking at it is that Zimmerman, among the group is average. Another way would be that all of them take a lot of pitches. I think Johnson, in a rare moment of candor a few days ago, suggested he thinks they are — all of them — taking too many pitches.Do they? I have no idea. I know that despite being 11th (of 14) in BA for the NL, the Nats are 7th in OBP, because of walks. They are 7th in walks this year (and 11th last year). I had assumed that was a good thing. But, perhaps Davey thinks we'd have more hits if they took less pitches? I dunno . . .

32. Section 222 - May 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM

DC Wong — How were you able to come up with those 1-2 percentages? Very cool. Thanks.

33. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I don't have hard numbers, but we swing at WAYYYYY too many sliders in the dirt.Yeah, we're talking about you, Espi.

34. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Getting on base is better than not getting on, but you can't hit pitches you don't swing at, and walks very seldom become lucky doubles, or move runners from first to third, and maybe induce throwing errors in the process, etc. Situational hitting–there are times when the risk of making outs doesn't outweigh the odds of doing better than drawing a walk (or bunting, but that's another post, probably).

35. Steady Eddie - May 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Sunshine — don't forget Ankiel's fastballs at the eyes. That's swinging at them, not throwing them.

36. waddu eye no - May 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

RIP chuck brown. 75. Go-go to heavenSaw him at rfk before the get yoir red on promo when lerner spruced up the park.

37. erocks33 - May 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Concur with the condolences for Chuck Brown. I hope the Nats smack a bunch of HR's in his honor and the PA guys blare "Bustin Loose" each and every time.

38. JaneB - May 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Right on, erocks. Let's heat lots of that this week!GYFNG!

39. Wendell - May 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM

http://youtu.be/wwHi10qX8u8Bustin Loose

40. Another_Sam - May 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM

To expand on my thought about about this outfield: [It's all about me, BTS] The lineup just doesn't read right or feel right. It looks like they're asking BH to essentially be the captain of the outfield. And he's 19. When I was 19 I couldn't find my butt with both hands.Someone above commented on RZ's offense. If I'm not careful, Cal Ripken's late career performance at the plate comes to mind. I sure hope RZ doesn't descent to that.

41. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM

42. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Desmond back to swinging at 1st pitches. In his last 5 games, he hadn't swung at a 1st pitching in the 1st inning.

43. MicheleS - May 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Yay Bam Bam

44. Exposremains - May 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I highly dislike it when desmond swings at the 1st pitch of the ball game.

45. LoveDaNats - May 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Gio is bringing it tonight.

46. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Gonat said… What is up with Gio? He threw one lousy curveball the entire 1st inning and that was the one McCutcheon smashed between the 5/6 hole. May 16, 2012 7:13 PM ___________________________Glad FP takes notice. After the 1st 2 batters in the 2nd inning

47. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

2nd pitch to Barmes was the wicked curve. What a great 2nd inning!

48. NatsJack in Florida - May 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I think the Pirates are sitting on curve. Only two so far and one of those was the hit by McCuthcen.Like all the change ups though.

49. Drew - May 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Man, The Kid is fun to watch.I've been making the case of late that moving Ian down in the order would get better on-base percentage at the top and give Desmond more chances to knock in runs.Guess who leads the Nats in extra-base hits. It's Desmond with 16, followed by LaRoche with 15.With tonight's triple Harper already has 9 extra-base hits, tying Jayson Werth for third. How good is Harper already? He has his XBHs in 61 at bats, to 98 for Werth, 118 for LaRoche and 160 for Desmond.

50. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

NatsJack, the tilt on the curve to McCutcheon was too flat. The one to Barmes was wicked. Even when they know his curve is coming, nobody can hit the wicked curve. Most take it hoping it doesn't fall in the zone.

51. Eugene in Oregon - May 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

phil duncan: If you assume all GIDPs are 'rally killing' and you're not trying to add some other elements to your definition, then you should be aware that Ryan Zimmerman has not grounded into more GIDPs "than any player in the NL." Mr. Zimmerman — with five GIDPs — ranks 6th (tied with nine other players). Among those with more are David Freese (8), Hanley Ramirez (6), and Ryan Roberts (6). Among those who also have five are Jose Reyes and Aramis Ramirez. Among those just one GIDP back (with four) are Matt Kemp, Andre Either, Troy Tulowitzki, David Wright, and Starlin Castro.

52. MicheleS - May 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Ian!!!

53. Gonat - May 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Anyone notice how Zim is topping most of the balls. Can't wait for the line drives to come back. Batting average dropping, now at .225

54. Drew - May 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Make that 17 extra-base hits for Desmond.He has five home runs and a dozen doubles and triples, but he only has 15 RBIs.Why isn't he hitting behind LaRoche?

55. NatsJack in Florida - May 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Gonat…..he's jumping at everything. When he starts going middle and away to the right side, he'll start raking.

56. MicheleS - May 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

1A. Yes i sent FP a tweet about Ripken and the koolaid. FP said he was going to leave a red koolaid pack on his chair.

57. NatsJack in Florida - May 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I just might empty the farm of a couple of guys for McCutchen.

58. MicheleS - May 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM

NatsJack he is really good.

59. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM

He's just not really good. He's special.

60. MicheleS - May 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Yes, yes he is. Sadly i think we would have to give up soooo much to get him.

61. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Lead off walks really hurt.

62. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Folks, thats the difference between Gio amd Ross Detwiler. Either the lead off walk or the Bryce hesitation would have led to a crooked number for the Pirates.

63. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM

NatsJack, he didn't let the bad call by the ump or Bryce's hesitation to cost him a crooked number.Det and Stras need to learn from Gio and JZim seems better at this compared to last season.

64. Another_Sam - May 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Did Harper misplay that liner to center?

65. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Gonat… I'm saying Detwiler would have.

66. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Another horrible at-bat and Zim walks away even before the appeal. Man-o-man. That reminds me of an at-bat I saw too much of by Espi.At least LaRoche is swinging the lumber!

67. MicheleS - May 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Seriously. Just loving ALR. Pittsburgh must hate him.

68. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Hey Sam….. He hesitated but it's understandable with a shot right ay him.And Gonat. I see you're agreeing with me.

69. MicheleS - May 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Nady too?!!!!,,???

70. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Gonat… Zim knows what his problem is. He'll correct it sooner than later.

71. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Gonat… I'm saying Detwiler would have. May 16, 2012 8:40 PM ______________________I know you are but I know people tiptoe around Stras and he suffers from "frustration" runs also. Nobody as bad as Det though. I wouldn't be surprised if its not in the other team's scouting reports that once you rattle him you pour it on.

72. jeffwx - May 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Hey Pepcid, these old geezers can hit.

73. MicheleS - May 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Lannan getting lit up tonight. Marlins are beating up the Braves.

74. Section 222 - May 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Just saw Werth giving a congratulatory handshake to Nady. Nice.

75. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I agree. But Stras is 23 and Det is 25 with 5 years in the organization. And I've talked to both and one acts like he still has something to learn and the other doesn't.

76. jeffwx - May 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

oh Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge

77. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Does Carp watch the game? Took him 3 pitches to realize McLouth was at bat.

78. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I meant to say that the shot by Nady is what they saw on the back fields during ST.

79. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

NatsJack on Stras/Det. Well said. Well said. Now lets see what Zim learned in his discussion with Eckstein.

80. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

When was Zimm's last home run? I can't even remember.

81. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Gonat….his head pulled off the 3-0 fastball. If Eck can't het him to see the ball to the bat, Eck needs a new job. And thank you Adam!

82. Exposremains - May 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

This has to be the first base clearing hit of the year

83. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Why, oh why couldn't they get Prince Fielder? This LaRoche guy is a bum!

84. Swift Eagle - May 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

IMO this is a better line-up w/out Werth…I know his numbers looked good, but if you actually watch the games, he was not producing runs…and if you watch Pitch F/X, he was unable to hit fastballs down the middle..

85. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

For those that kept saying a healthy LaRoche would return to career norms, you are smart people. I think about 6 posters said that with regularity when others were calling for LaRoche to be traded for a bag of balls.

86. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

On LaRoche… These slow starts are horrible. I can't wait till after the All Star break when he starts to hit.

87. Exposremains - May 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Laroche needs a triple

88. Swift Eagle - May 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

NatsJack!! A lot better than the days you and I were watching guys like: P. Orr, R. Langerhans, WM Pena down in Viera!

89. djinFl. - May 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

The best shot was of Bo Porter escorting Harper close to home, and then racing back to third wind-milling his arm the entire time to send Zim home.It is grand to see the progress of the team kicking into high gear. I think they are ready for the coming road trip.

90. jeffwx - May 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM

They're pitchin to the King

91. Exposremains - May 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Can they put these guys away already.

92. Drew - May 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Adam LaRoche is channeling Wilbert Harrison: "I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City, here I come."July 10 at Kauffman Stadium, to be precise.

93. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Thought that was you Derrick. I still have the DVR of us watching Stras's first ST outing against the Tigers when he buckled Cabrera's knees.

94. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Gonat….his head pulled off the 3-0 fastball. If Eck can't get him to see the ball to the bat, Eck needs a new job. And thank you Adam! May 16, 2012 9:15 PM ______________________________A center cut fastball and missed it by a lot. Everything is away and at least Zim didn't chase. Take the walk and tomorrow is a new day.

95. MicheleS - May 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Oy. I need some bourbon and Maalox

96. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

9th inning will be end of the Pirates lineup.

97. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

NatsJack in Florida said…Gonat….[Zimm']s head pulled off the 3-0 fastball. Like Anne Boleyn. Over-swinging juuuuuuuuust a teensy bit. and FP, I'd have let Harper swing on 3-0. What the hell.

98. Swift Eagle - May 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

HAHA..We Had better seats than Bowden and Stan for that one!

99. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Gonat…that's what I meant about "jumping". He's not staying on the ball and "seeing it" to the bat.When Zim's locked in, his head is looking right at ball striking the bat. And that isn't happening now.

100. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Henry warming up. Get me my Maalox

101. Section 222 - May 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

So NJ, are you saying that you could tell from the way that Det acted when he talked to you in FL that he has something to learn? Wow. Sounds like GWB looking into Putin's eyes and seeing his soul. I don't think any of us would say that Det is comparable to Stras. But he's come a long way this year and I think you're dissing him unnecessarily, and too soon. He's not going to lead the league in ERA, but he's a very solid No. 4-5 already. And besides, he doesn't have to be as good as Stras to stay in the rotation, he just has to be better than Wang or EJ.

102. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Swift Eagle (?)…..I have a great Kasten story from this Sping.I'll e-mail you.

103. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Barajas, Barmas, and Harrison. The combo of the 3 is below the Mendoza. He better mow through these 3. Storen on Henry "I THINK he will be alright"

104. Swift Eagle - May 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Maybe Henry needs a crazy beard or a mullet to be a great closer…The chin strap is so 2006…

105. jeffwx - May 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

The Good Henry !!!

106. jeffwx - May 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM

The Bad Ian

107. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM

and here it starts…

108. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

The defense is even nervous

109. jeffwx - May 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

The Fluid Flores

110. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Section 222…. It wasn't from one conversation. It was from several. And I'm not condeming him. I'm pointing out a difference in attitude. And he's actually better today than he was earlier in his.Stras is younger and less experienced, yet acknowledges his deficiencies.

111. MicheleS - May 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! E

112. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Thank the Lord! Zim almost lost the handle on that. Good Henry came back.

113. jeffwx - May 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Henry, Algo grande.23-14

114. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

7 runs of offensive output sure is nice. Gio got the type of win a good pitcher deserves every once in a while. Gio was kind of unlucky and had good stuff. The offense this time picked up a pitcher.

115. UnkyD - May 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM

YAAAY!!!

116. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM

If Mujica does his job in Atlanta, the Nats will be back in 1st place.

117. NatsLady - May 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Muchas Gracias, Henry.

118. baseballswami - May 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Weak in the knees with relief! Henry affects me that way.

119. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Its so wierd that we are all excited about a closer with a 3 run lead getting a Save against 3 of the worst batters in the Majors. You have Barajas that you can't throw inside heat to, Barmes in a deep slump and Harrison who you have to get reaching.Their batting averages sit at .188 .155 .222 The Nats have pitchers with higher batting averages.Would have been the perfect time to give Craig Stammen an easy one. Yes, happy Henry got it done but tomorrow is another day and more Maalox.

120. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

From Amanda:— Washington Nationals catcher Sandy Leon, who suffered a high right ankle sprain Monday night, four innings into his major league debut, is expected to miss about four weeks.Leon said the Nationals told him in two weeks he will be cleared to return to activity.

121. Gonat - May 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Atlanta just lost. Nats back in 1st Place!!!!

122. NatsJack in Florida - May 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Gee…. Did I just hear FP say it doesn't matter what he or we think? Only Davey matters.I've said something similar before and got skewered. But I don't mind because it's a fact.