May 16, 2012, 7:42 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Left-handers Gio Gonzalez faces Erik Bedard tonight at Nationals Park.
The last time Erik Bedard took the mound, the left-hander lasted all of eight pitches before departing with back spasms. That was seven days ago, against the Nationals, who then proceeded to score two runs in eight innings against five Pirates relievers.
Bedard is back on the mound tonight for the first time since that incident, facing the same Nationals lineup, which can only hope to enjoy more success against the lefty … or whatever relievers end up in the game for Pittsburgh. Davey Johnson is going with a bunch of right-handed hitters, including Tyler Moore and Xavier Nady.
Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, starts for the Nats, looking to bounce back from a shaky outing in Cincinnati on Friday. Gonzalez was dealing with a sore right hand that evening, the lingering effects of his awkward slide into third base his previous time out.
Updates to come, so please check back…
PITTSBURGH PIRATES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to CF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance