May 16, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
It's only the first of many steps he must take before returning to pitch for the Nationals, but for Drew Storen, the simple act of making 100 light tosses with a trainer this afternoon was a welcome relief from the monotony he had been experiencing since having elbow surgery last month.
"It feels different," Storen said. "Not bad. It's just weird, because I haven't been throwing, so my arm is getting back into shape. I don't know if I've ever taken this much time off from throwing, period."
Storen, who had a bone spur removed from his right elbow, feels like he could cut loose right now but knows he must take a slower course of recovery than that. His 100 throws today (and Monday) were light tosses only, "like driving a Ferrari 5 miles an hour."
The Nationals closer will likely head down to extended spring training in Viera, Fla., next week when his teammates head out on a road trip. He's still targeting the All-Star break for his return from the disabled list.
"I try not to think about it too much, as much as I want to," he said. "Because especially with this process, you've got to go a day at a time,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals