May 16, 2012, 10:38 PM EST
It's only the first of many steps he must take before returning to pitch for the Nationals, but for Drew Storen, the simple act of making 100 light tosses with a trainer this afternoon was a welcome relief from the monotony he had been experiencing since having elbow surgery last month.
"It feels different," Storen said. "Not bad. It's just weird, because I haven't been throwing, so my arm is getting back into shape. I don't know if I've ever taken this much time off from throwing, period."
Storen, who had a bone spur removed from his right elbow, feels like he could cut loose right now but knows he must take a slower course of recovery than that. His 100 throws today (and Monday) were light tosses only, "like driving a Ferrari 5 miles an hour."
The Nationals closer will likely head down to extended spring training in Viera, Fla., next week when his teammates head out on a road trip. He's still targeting the All-Star break for his return from the disabled list.
"I try not to think about it too much, as much as I want to," he said. "Because especially with this process, you've got to go a day at a time,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats