May 17, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
Morse, out since spring training with a torn right lat muscle, has begun swinging a bat and playing catch for the first time since he was shut down during the first week of April after experiencing a setback while on a rehab assignment with Class A Hagerstown.
The Nationals have targeted the June 8 date as a likely return because it would allow Morse to ease his way back by serving as designated hitter for interleague series in Boston and Toronto.
Morse, though, told manager Davey Johnson this week he believes he could be ready when the Nationals open a six-game homestand on June 1 against the Braves.
"That was my day [June 8]," Johnson said. "I threw that out there trying to give the trainers and the doctors a date that I wanted himRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos