May 18, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Morse, out since March with a torn right lat muscle, took swings off a tee today for the first time since he was shut down from all baseball activities roughly six weeks ago. He also played catch with head trainer Lee Kuntz, throwing from about 50 feet at about 50 percent velocity, and emerged saying his arm and shoulder felt strong.
With the Nationals opening a nine-game road trip next week, Morse will leave Washington and advance his rehab in Florida, where he’ll start getting at-bats in extended spring training games. If that goes well, he will probably play in at least a couple of rehab games with one of the Nationals’ minor-league clubs. He could then be activated off the disabled list in time for the start of their next homestand, June 1 against the Braves.
“I think he can probably make his schedule and come off the road trip,” manager Davey Johnson said today. “It’ll be real close.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?