May 18, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Morse, out since March with a torn right lat muscle, took swings off a tee today for the first time since he was shut down from all baseball activities roughly six weeks ago. He also played catch with head trainer Lee Kuntz, throwing from about 50 feet at about 50 percent velocity, and emerged saying his arm and shoulder felt strong.
With the Nationals opening a nine-game road trip next week, Morse will leave Washington and advance his rehab in Florida, where he’ll start getting at-bats in extended spring training games. If that goes well, he will probably play in at least a couple of rehab games with one of the Nationals’ minor-league clubs. He could then be activated off the disabled list in time for the start of their next homestand, June 1 against the Braves.
“I think he can probably make his schedule and come off the road trip,” manager Davey Johnson said today. “It’ll be real close.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole