Game 40: Orioles at Nats

May 19, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals try to get back on track tonight against the Orioles.

After watching his team struggle mightily at the plate the last two nights, Davey Johnson has decided to try something new tonight. His starting lineup features the following: Steve Lombardozzi leading off and playing second base. Danny Espinosa sitting on the bench. Ian Desmond batting fifth. And Carlos Maldonado making his first start behind the plate.

Hey, at this point, why not try something new? The move of Desmond down to the 5-hole is actually most intriguing to me, because it's the first time he's hit anywhere but the leadoff spot this year. Desmond, though, does bring some pop to the plate. He's second among NL shortstops with a .451 slugging percentage. And he's second among all major-league shortstops with six homers.

Ross Detwiler takes the mound for his eighth start of the season. At the same time in Toledo, Chien-Ming Wang will be making another rehab start for Class AAA Syracuse. Keep an eye on how both pitchers perform.

A friendly reminder that tonight's game is being televised on Fox, with Bob Carpenter and Bill Ripken on the call. Live updates to come here, so please check back…

BALTIMORE ORIOLES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:15 p.m. EDT
TV: Fox
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), WTEM (980 AM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 76 degrees, Wind 7 mph in from RF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. PChuck - May 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Now, this is a good lineup, Davey. :applause:

2. stoat - May 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Maybe Harper will get some decent pitches to swing at. Looks like a pretty sound lineup to me, given who's available. Go natz!

3. peric - May 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Wow, that's a pretty big change … looks like Davey has seen enough. You can watch Chien Ming Wang who isn't even pitching as well as another guy on the 40-man (but who has options) Yunesky Maya. Yes, that's a huge surprise.Sure seems like the Chiefs have found their bats even without BHarp34 and T_Mo12. Led by Corey Brown. Brown might be the one to watch.

4. Gonat - May 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Wow, this was the popular lineup written up over a month ago. About time Espinosa sat/benched. Maybe Davey is sending a message although he is old school so he will just say Espi is getting a mental day. Here is Lombo's opportunity

5. SonnyG10 - May 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Yes, interesting line-up change. Hope it works well.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Davey also didn't bunch up 2 Lefties in a row like LaRoche and Harper had been.

7. oldguyjim - May 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I like it!!! Let's go hitting!

8. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

So this means no pregame show? And I suppose now there will be a sudden and drastic change in each and every hitter's performance? I am glad to see Lombardozzi hitting lead off – I think his skill set makes it a good fit. I don't care in what order they hit – Zim needs to heat up, Ankiel – well, whatever, and you can't replace Morse, Werth and Ramos – you just can't. Let's see who steps up tonight. Go Nats – the O's are getting cocky.

9. Exposremains - May 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

That I'm excited to see. Its about time.

10. Tom in AR - May 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

11. Gonat - May 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Holy holy, Dusty Baker in the 9th is pulling his closer Marshall. Turn on MLB.TV for this 9th inning! 6-3 lead is now 6-5 with 2 on and 1 out.

12. Gonat - May 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Tom in AR said… I am excited for this lineup. Wish it had Morse, Werth and Ramos in it. Good luck to Maldonado. Really hoping he makes it through the game. May 19, 2012 4:14 PM ____________________________My appreciation for Ramos has gone up tremendously. He was one of the Nats hottest hitters the week before he was injured. Game Winning single, 2 HRs, etc. Flores looks thin and lost a lot of muscle mass. I'm sure the move to Maldanado is to give Flores a rest but this is how opportunities are made.

13. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Reds held on. By the way – do you realize that in the NL and AL east every team ( except boston) is above 500? Not so in the nl and al central where only the top team is above 500. Think we are in for a tough schedule folks?? It's a steady diet of winning teams for us – hang on.

14. Gonat - May 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

McClutch'n just crushed a HR by the way

15. stoat - May 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Gonat, I've been watching! It's astonishing to me Dusty considers Marshall his "closer" given the vastly superior alternatives available to him. Aroldis Chapman is a beast. One more out to go for Arredondo.

16. stoat - May 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Ah… The old MLB.tv delay! Lucky I didn't bet.

17. Steady Eddie - May 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Arredondo closed 'em out, though not as skillfully as Burnett did vs. the Pads. Jeter postponed the end by Harperesque hustle (yeah, I know) to beat out an almost DP.

18. MicheleS - May 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

GYFNG!!!FP if you are reading this. Leave a glass of Nats koolaid for Billy!Glad to see the new line up . It will work! Fingers are crossed. I will be at the game tonight. Stay Positive Insiders! I have a good feeling about tonight!

19. original Nats Fan - May 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I like this lineup. Espi has just looked so lost at the plate. It's been hard to watch and he can't be happy with his own performance.GO NATS!

20. Eugene in Oregon - May 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Excuse the ignorance of someone who doesn't have cable (or even own a TV), but does the game being on Fox mean that it will be blacked out on MLB.tv? Is it Fox national or regional or local? Thanks.

21. Ann Ominous - May 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Flores looks thin and lost a lot of muscle mass. I'm sure the move to Maldanado is to give Flores a rest but this is how opportunities are made.No, Ramos and Maldonado look fat. Ramos especially, since he's still so young. Stand Flores up next to other good catchers like Weiters and Posey, and he looks fine. Excessive muscle mass is a detriment for a catcher, since it limits his mobility and maneuverability behind the plate. Perhaps Ramos's muscle mass helps his power at bat, but truthfully he could stand to lose 20-30 pounds. That would make him better on both sides of the ball.

22. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Votto crushed a 3 run bomb against the NY Evil Empire and McCutcheon is crushing it , too. See – it's not just the nats – we are not alone. As to the catchers — Posey doesn't look very big for a catcher and seems quite athletic. His recovery and resurgence has been nothing short of amazing when you remember what happened to him.It does seem like all of our guys that have an injury and rehab come back in better shape than they were initially. I am pretty sure that ramos won't play winter league again, either. I predict that next spring training he arrives looking like a stud.

23. Steady Eddie - May 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I know I'm almost certainly letting wishful thinking make more if this than is probably there, but I wonder if Davey's "more than likely" statent about Espi being back in the lineup tomorrow still might allow for Lombo to lead off and play LF if he does well at the plate today. Mixed feelings about that as his arm is a downgrade from almost anyone else we can put put there, but the need for high OBP out of #1 — and the probable value of having Desi's slugging % n #6 — makes it something for us to speculate about aimlessly. Lombo also does much better at the plate when he's starting than PHing.

24. natsfan1a - May 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I'm not into lineup kibbitzing but I will say this: Go, NATS!! And I'll throw in a Go, Buster!! for my late brother's fave Giant.Not sure how the blackouts work, Eugene, but it's a national Fox broadcast.

25. natsfan1a - May 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

26. NatsJack in Florida - May 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Steady Eddie….. You hit on the head. That was Davey telling Lombo"show me something and we'll go from there". And telling Espi " no more excuses."

27. natsfan1a - May 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Speaking of broadcasts, a new Bos piece on the MASN negotiations.

28. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Above all – I want to see some Natitude out there. RossD pitches the best when he has some swagger going on. Despite the injury losses and sparse offense, these guys can play with anyone. Do it, Nats!!!!

29. natsfan1a - May 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I'd like to see some Natitude in the stands, too. Please don't let the opposing fans shout you down on national tv, folks. I will do my part at tomorrow's game. Kaythxbai.

30. natsfan1a - May 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

(Oh, yeah. Hi, FP! You can cheer, too, if you want, seeing as how you'll be in the stands and not in the booth. :-))

31. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

They might not score, but this is a much better lineup. What has taken so long to get to this? I would flip flop Bernadina and Ankiel.

32. sm13 - May 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It was definitely time to give lineup a bit of a shake. Ian has been one of our best clutch hitters, so the five spot seems lie a good fit. Glad to see bam bam batting second, Roger hasn't done much for us in that spot. Also, I suspect this is a regional Fox broadcast. Their national booth pairing is Buck and McCarver.

33. sm13 - May 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

More info…there are Fox games tonight. The "headline" game is Sox-Phils.

34. sm13 - May 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

5 Fox games tonight…

35. Drew - May 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM

And now a word about the lineup change: Hallelujah!Adam LaRoche and Ian Desmond have 18 extra-base hits each. LaRoche has 30 RBIs. Desmond has only 16.Lombo's on base percentage is .400 and Ian's is something like .294.Moving Lombo up and moving Desmond down to a run-producing spot (where he's following the team's hottest hitter, instead of the pitcher) makes perfect sense. Bravo! Now GYFNG!!!

36. Eugene in Oregon - May 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

37. Eugene in Oregon - May 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Thanks all. I'm hopeful that means no blackout on MLB.tv.On the MASN contract question, let me stipulate that I continue to worry that the Nats will get shafted. But if Mr. Boswell is correct and the arbitration panel — given its make-up and apparent self-interest — comes up with a fair, market-based number, the Nats could well end doing better than any of us originally anticipated. Why? If I'm reading these stories correctly, the periodic 'resets' will take place about every fifth year. Thus, the Nats should get the benefit of the most-recent comps, which seem to be ever rising, more often than other teams. The Braves, for example, are approaching the end of a 20-year deal that looked good in the '90s, but seems like a pittance now. On the other hand, the Rangers and Angels just signed 20 (or so) year deals that look obscenely rich now, but may be seen as bargains in the second half of those long contracts. If the Nats really do get 'current market value' from the panel and then get to 'reset' again in five years, and five years after that, and five years after that, etc., they could end up with a better '20-year deal' than anyone else. In fact — and this may be wishful thinking, I admit — it could be so good (let's hope) that Mr. Angelos feels compelled to get out of it by selling the rights back to the Nats.

38. TimDz - May 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for the link 1a…makes me despise Angelos and Selig even MORE…and that'd saying something…

39. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

TimDz – Amen to that!

40. HLHjr - May 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Ditto, TimDz.

41. TimDz - May 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM

AND….my post didn't regenerate ten times!!!

42. Eugene in Oregon - May 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Oh well, MLB.tv is blacked out (for all the Fox regional games, apparently). Signing off so I won't know the score when I watch the replay later tonight. Hope it's worth it.

43. MicheleS - May 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM

FP ROCKS!!! JUST GOT A TWEET THAT HE LEFT KOOLAID FOR Billy! !! YUP I AM A BASEBALL NERD!!!! GYFNG!!!! I am in section 134 row MM if anyone wants to stop by!

44. JaneB - May 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I hope Lombo does what we all hope he can. I like the move of Desi to a strong ribbie spot, as long as Lombo produces. But! Regardless,GYFNG! I will miss FP in tne booth.

45. JaneB - May 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Hurrah for Michelle and FP! And Koolaid! How fun to read this!

46. TimDz - May 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Pregame giving NO love to the Nats… Byrnes needs a cup of STFU…dude…you have a microphone attached ….

47. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Ross needs to grow his hair back out. He looks like he is 12.

48. TimDz - May 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Visit with Gio by the announcers?Can't wait for that…

49. JaneB - May 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Swami says: Ross needs to grow his hair back out. He looks like he is 12………..As long as he pitches like a grown up. And strikes out Markakis.

50. TimDz - May 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM

THAT was sweet….Way to play Zim…

51. Drew - May 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Bang, Zim!

52. NatsJack in Florida - May 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM

For those of you that don't know him, you're gonna love Madonado.

53. NatsJack in Florida - May 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Maldonado.

54. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I just feel that our hitters need to make the opposing pitcher work a little harder. Seems like the top half, with Detweiler , really took some time – they made him work for every out. Our hitters were gone in a flash. They look like easy outs – quick little grounders. I have also noticed that a lot of our hitters lately have been making outs on pop fouls.

55. terpman33 - May 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Uh oh. Its 2-0. The game is probably over, with our offense. But, we shall see! GYFNG!

56. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM

We have been getting scored on early a lot lately. Not a good trend.

57. phil dunton - May 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

The Nats offense is pathetic!

58. baseballswami - May 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

We went pretty deep the other night without a hit. It's going to happen this year, you know it.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Lets see. First the O's sacrafice twice in an inning and both runners score. We of course extend an inning with a walk and the walk scored. (wlaking 8th place batter is totally senseless)>Now lets look at the bombers. Desi swings at one in the dirt, it gets away and he doesn't even bother to run, replay shows it wasn't even close to being hit. Why try to fake that. Then Ankeil takes a third strike at swinging and missing earlier.Eck is not the hitting coach I learned last night. he is just advisor. We need someone to put a fire under their rears and coach, not advise, as the advise has been terrible or not accepted.

60. SCNatsFan - May 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I hate being a fan of a team that strikes out as much as we do. Desmond waves at a ball that bounces infront of the plate and Ankiel stares at strikes. You have to feel for the pitchers because they have to be perfect every night.

61. UnkyD - May 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Hi, everybody!!! FWIW… I feel GOOD!!! Spent the afternoon simmering the first batch of chili I've made in over 3 years… FABULOUS!!! Enjoying a rare opportunity to watch on TV…. Settle down Det… Like the lineup tonight… Be nice to win a high scoring one, for a change.GYFNG!!!!!!

62. UnkyD - May 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Ladies… Morse or Gio- Who's got the better smile?

63. TimDz - May 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Fantastic…

64. NatsFanJim - May 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM

We are watching the Nats' pitching coming back to the pack, but our hitting seems to be pulling further from the pack.The O's are exposing so many of the nats weaknesses.

65. Steady Eddie - May 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM

While that third trike to Ankiel was actually a ball, it was really the HP ump trying to do the Nats a favor. he was saying, "if this guy doesn't even try to protect the plate on a close pitch on a 1-2 count, he deserves to get punched out. And he does.Well, I hope this game is "so much for Davey's attempt to encourage Det by saying he keeps his spot in the rotation when Wang gets back.". I like Det's effort but where is his game plan against a bunch of fastball hitters? Five hits and two runs with 21/3 innings? His last start wasn't too hot either. And I wrote that before Jones tagged him. He belongs back in the pen.

66. NatsJack in Florida - May 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Keep up the solid work Det.

67. MicheleS - May 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Unkyd. Vote = GIO!

68. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Geeze…. Hope Stras brings an extra bag of NASTY to the mound, tomorrow… These birds look mighty comfortable out there…

69. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Hard to like a lineup that has 10-14 k's in it per night.Bernie cant hitAnkiel is a perpetual .235 guyHarper is a rookie who swings for the fences on every swing, pulls out — and is striking out too much.Zim: swinging through center but fastballsNot good

70. Bigfish - May 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Ross Detwiler is making the Wang decision a lot easier.

71. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Michele… It's gotta be close, though, right?

72. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Maldonado seems to fit in perfectly — swings with his head pulling out — eyes off the ball — uses that weak one-handed finish –

73. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Can't wait to see Bernie's approach…

74. Steady Eddie - May 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Even tho Maldonado got thrown out because he's catcher-slow, he did set an example for the rest of the team by MAKING THE DAMN PITCHER WORK for the out!

75. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

good job, Bernie.

76. Exposremains - May 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I don't get it with Detwiler, he has shutdown stuff but never seems to have extended success.

77. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Swing, Ross — dont bunt

78. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:08 AM

blew the ball right by ole lombo

79. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM

weak ground ball to short … hitless in three inningsWe are making every pitcher look like Verlander.

80. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I love the Nats, but Prediction –NEXT STOP. .500 BASEBALL. No doubt about it. This team is plummeting. No hitting, weak managing, average defense, and pitchers coming back to the pack while losing their confidence (due in part to NO hitting) and a closer that is completely crazy.A serious losing streak in upon us.

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Detwiler put down the bunt better than the guys last night. But what was the point as the next batter just grounds out to short.

82. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I hate this style of coverage with the long interviews. They don't even notice the game half the time. Billy made a good point, though, about our pitchers adjusting to all the different catchers.Four in a week.makes you wonder. Nice quick inning. Now some offense?

83. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Hey Steady Eddie: Wang will never put up the numbers from the mound that Det has done thus far this season. They should trade Wang — Wang will totally flop. watch

84. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Harper pulling out on the very first pitch.

85. Drew - May 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

OK, the Nats have no hits. Lombo isn't working the count.The Nats have scored 5 runs in just 11 of their 39 games.There must be a decent flick on one of these channels.(Well, maybe I'll wait till Harper hits.)

86. NatsJack in Florida - May 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM

In the meantime, Blanton is getting lit up in Philly. 5-1 Bosoxin the top of the 4th.

87. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Harper pulls his head out on pitch #3

88. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM

See ya, Bryce. YOu can't hit what you can't see.Can't someone tell him he's pulling out on every pitch — his head is never ON the ball.

89. Exposremains - May 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

No sure why I'm watching this game, it just makes me mad.

90. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

This is just so hard to watch. Take some pitches, foul some off, make some contact .yeah! A hit!

91. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Nice hit, Zim.

92. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Davey Johnson 63-59 as Nats manager. And look at the pitching staff he has this year?Riggleman is starting to look good — he understood the game far better.

93. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Even alr has gone ice cold.

94. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I noticed that Arrieta was fan voted the star of the game yesterday with a whopping 82%. Obviously, the viewship is 82% Oriole fans.Pathetic.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Could someone tell the advisor to ask the batters to cut down the swing with two strikes. Chances of succeess would increase.

96. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Uh oh, my wife is now rooting for the O's — says they're "so much better."Yep, she's right again.

97. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

The Orioles have bunted or attempted to bunt more in this young game, than the Nats have tried in the last 10 games.Buck plays the game; Davey can't remember a game is going on.

98. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Personally, Ankiel is one of my favorite players, but we can't win a pennant with him in the lineup. Simple as that.Ankiel and Bernadina in the same outfield — combined with a talented but very raw rookie? no pennant there.

99. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Markakis is a beast. Good blast, Nick.

100. Exposremains - May 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM

All right, I'm done.

101. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Boy. Ross is no mystery to these guys, huh….

102. NatsJack in Florida - May 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM

And now Lester giving it back in the bottom of the 4th. 5-4 Bosox with 1 out.

103. NatsJack in Florida - May 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Me to. And I'm only listening.

104. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Jones hits a knock to left.This game is gonna end up 12-0

105. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Wieters is going deep, watch

106. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Getting shelled. Our outfield should be morse, Harper, Werth . Bernie and ankiel are supposed to be good defenders but are not. This is not our team . Bernie, ankiel, lombo, catcher-half this lineup should not be out there. They are all second stringers and It is showing. Even the guys who were doing ok are off their games. Sad to watch.

107. sm13 - May 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Why ate we going to waste Stammen in this game. Let Ryan Perry go out there for few innings and save Craig for a closer contest.

108. NatsLady - May 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Dewiler single-handedly destroying staff ERA. CMW takes his next start. Can't be worse than this. O's fans loud and happy.

109. Steady Eddie - May 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

"Nats Fan Jim said I love the Nats but…"Coulda fooled me.

110. phil dunton - May 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Nats always puke on themselves whenever they have a big home crowd or whenever they are on national TV. This game is an embarrassment but at least we won't have to suffer through H-Rod tonight.

111. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM

If you are not a true fan you are apathetic. You get the maddest at those you love. I am pretty mad right now. Billy Ripken not being hard on Ross. Doesn't think he pitched badly. O's hitters just on fire right now. He is a very fair announcer considering his history with the o's.

112. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Rally hat.

113. JaneB - May 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I didn't realize the Orioles were this good. Didn't see that coming for another decade or so.And, Unkyd, Gio. Awesome as the Morse beam is, Gio. Gio over Jose Reyes, too. Until I saw Gio, his was the megawatt MLB smile for me.Okay! We are on tne board! That's something.

114. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Oops…won't do that again…

115. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I wonder if Xavier Avery would consider advising our batters…

116. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Hmmmmm…

117. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Where'd everybody go…?

118. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM

That's my guys! Make it a game!

119. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 1:20 AM

UnkyD – No one here but us?

120. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Perry is absolutely horrible.

121. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Jane B: just like a girl — most of us don't give a rats ##$ about Gio's friggin smile. geez

122. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Nice play, Desi.

123. NatsFanJim - May 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM

retraction: Perry looked good tonight. Sorry, Perry.

124. JaneB - May 20, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I am thinking maybe we see Lombo tomorrow, too.I think there are lots of legitimate things to notice in a baseball team, NatsFanJim.. And joy on the field, love of the game and a great smile go high on my list. Don't even get us started on sme of the other things some of us notice. They stand out on that field a long time. I'm just sayin'.

125. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I am thinking that this is too little, too late. In April, 4 runs would have won TWO games! I know I said this before but it bears repeating. Our 9 player line up consists of a pitcher, 3 bench players and a triple A catcher, catcher number 4 in a week for the pitchers. Granted, some of those guys hit in the sixth, but they are still not the First String. It's going to be a long season and this last week has not been our very best time. Glad to see their never-say-die natitude is alive and well. If they can just hang on and fight through this swoon….

126. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 2:00 AM

At least Danny made contact….

127. ehay2k - May 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM

As frustrated as I get with this team wasting amazing pitching, it's still a long way to the end of the season, but not that long until we get a key player back -Morse. Then Storen, then Werth. Even Leon will be back , for what that's worth. So, if we can hang on, maybe play .500 ball through June, maybe bring on a hitting instructor to help Eck teach the things he doesn't understand, or help the students grasp what Eck is trying to teach ( sorry, coudn't resist), we will be OK. But losing two to B'more will hurt. Fan anger will be high.

128. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Bad Henry?

129. ehay2k - May 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Good Henry

130. ehay2k - May 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Not PFB Henry, but definitely Good Henry.

131. Mr. Doggett - May 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM

gotta love Good Henry

132. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Nice. Two rookies at the top of the line up. I doubt any other team is doing that. So tired of seeing innings end with someone on third.

133. JaneB - May 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Oh man, Zimm!

134. ehay2k - May 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

NatsFanJim, enough with the sexist comments. This is no place for them. JaneB, I agree that Gio has a very nice smile. Ooh, as I type – Zimm!!

135. UnkyD - May 20, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Hold that phone…..

136. baseballswami - May 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I believe that was ball 4.

137. ehay2k - May 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Sigh, at least we made a game of it. (To bad that has been a post-game balm for years now). I love that we don't quit, I hate that we cannot hit.

138. Steady Eddie - May 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Ah well — makes the failure to bring Desi home in the 8th all the more costly.The point about Gio's smile is that the personality behind it is a phenomenal asset to team chemistry. Lapparently "smile" alone was overly subtle for some.Along with the sexism — thanks, ehay2k — anyone who thinks "Riggleman is starting to look good"(@8:21) has other issues.

139. Dave - May 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hey, wait a minute…"NatsFanJim"?Where is Riggleman these days anyway?

140. natsfan1a - May 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Thanks to ehay and Steady Eddie for standing up for JaneB, who was only answering a question from another (and male, btw) poster. What is this, Ballpark Guys or NatsInsider? ;-) Speaking of which, I agree with my esteemed colleagues MicheleS and JaneB: it's Gio.Thanks for sharing re. FP's tweet, MicheleS.On a game note, was really disappointed to lose a series, particularly to the O's. That said, as I remarked to my hubby afterwards, I didn't find this loss as frustrating as Friday's. I liked that the team almost came back from the deep hole into which Det put them. I liked that the bullpen, including Henry, held the O's down the rest of the way. I liked that Zimm's bat may be heating up.

141. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Have NatsFanJim and Mick ever been seen together? Just wondering.

142. Steve J, Alexandria - May 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM