May 19, 2012, 9:41 PM EDT
Johnson's decision to use Wang as a reliever comes as a surprise, given the manner in which the Nationals have talked up the veteran right-hander and suggested all along he would not be a good fit in the bullpen.
The emergence of left-hander Ross Detwiler, though, all but forced the Nationals into making this unconventional move. Detwiler, who makes his eighth start of the season tonight against the Orioles, is 3-2 with a 2.75 ERA.
"Detwiler has pitched himself into a role as one of the main guys, not only this year but for the future here," Johnson said. "Everybody says it's a good problem to have, but probably not for the questions I'm going to get asked in this room. Because there's no easy choice."
Wang, who re-signed with the Nationals as a free agent in November for $4 million, was a projected member of the Opening Day rotation until he pulled his hamstring trying to make a play at first base inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter