May 20, 2012, 2:19 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Ross Detwiler watches Wilson Betemit score on a second-inning single.
Game in a nutshell: What looked like a blowout in the Orioles favor turned into quite a compelling ballgame in the end. Ross Detwiler was blasted for six runs in only five innings, serving up homers to both Adam Jones and Nick Markakis. But the Nationals bullpen stopped the bleeding and gave Davey Johnson's reconfigured lineup a chance to storm back. The Nats did rally, getting one run in the fifth and three in the sixth thanks in part to RBI from Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina. And Ryan Zimmerman homered in the ninth. But they couldn't push across that final run and thus lost their third straight game, their 13th over the last 22 games.
Hitting highlight: Johnson's new-look lineup — featuring Steve Lombardozzi in the leadoff spot, Ian Desmond in the 5-hole and Danny Espinosa on the bench — made no difference early on, producing one hit off Jason Hammel through four innings. But it did finally start producing late, particularly a few guys who desperately needed to get going. Ryan Zimmerman had three hits, including a ninth-inning homer. Ankiel had an RBI double. And Bernadina had two hits, a walk and a deep flyball to the warning track in center. It didn't result in a win, but it was a step in the right direction.
Pitching lowlight: Before the game, Johnson said Chien-Ming Wang will likely pitch out of the bullpen when he returns from the DL next week. That would keep Detwiler in the rotation. But after theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect