May 22, 2012, 3:32 AM EDT
Updated at 11:32 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA — Ryan Mattheus has plantar fasciitis in his left foot, an injury that could sideline the Nationals reliever as much as two weeks. The right-hander will leave the team and head to Baltimore Tuesday to be evaluated by a foot specialist.
Mattheus doesn’t believe the injury is all that serious. The foot has been bothering him for about two weeks and may have been further aggravated while running prior to Monday’s game. Mattheus received an X-ray, which showed no fractures.
The specialist will determine whether Mattheus needs surgery to repair the plantar fascia. Even if that happens, the recovery time is only two weeks.
Meanwhile, Brad Lidge threw from 180 feet this afternoon and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Wednesday before heading to the Nationals’ extended spring training complex in Viera, Fla. The veteran reliever is targeting June 15 for a return from the DL.
Chase Hughes, who is here in Philadelphia with yours truly, has the full story on both Mattheus and Lidge on CSNwashington.com
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'