May 23, 2012, 1:44 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa congratulates Bryce Harper upon scoring in the third inning.
Game in a nutshell: What looked like a guaranteed, low-scoring, pitchers' duel at the beginning of the night turned upside-down almost as soon as the game began. A Nationals lineup that was without Ryan Zimmerman — a late scratch for unannounced reasons — pounced on Roy Halladay for four runs in the third inning, with Bryce Harper tripling and Ian Desmond clubbing his team-leading eighth home run. Rick Ankiel added a solo homer in the fourth to give the Nats five runs off Halladay for the first time since 2003 (when he pitched for the Blue Jays and they were the Expos). Handed a rare lead, Jordan Zimmermann then gutted his way through six innings before handing things over to the bullpen, which closed out the game, with Tyler Clippard earning only the second save of his career. Thus, the Nationals beat the Phillies for the ninth time in 10 games and earned their sixth straight win at Citizens Bank Park.
Hitting highlight: Who's scared to stand in there against Halladay? Certainly not Harper. The kid went right after the two-time Cy Young Award winner, singling in his first at-bat and then crushing a two-run triple in his second. The crowd of 45,569, which had given Harper aRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal
- Scherzer signing shows Nats' continued growth as a franchise
- History with Rizzo, Williams gives Nats confidence in Scherzer