May 23, 2012, 3:09 AM EDT
Updated at 11:09 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA — Ryan Zimmerman was scratched from the Nationals' lineup less than an hour before first pitch of tonight's game against the Phillies after telling manager Davey Johnson his right shoulder was sore.
Though Zimmerman insisted he could play, Johnson insisted his star third baseman take the night off. The manager said Zimmerman would return to the lineup for tomorrow's series finale at Citizens Bank Park.
"He wanted to play," Johnson said following a 5-2 victory. "I said: 'Let's just let the thing calm down. We're in a war here. We can lose this battle, but I need you for three games in Atlanta.' They're the ones on top, and we need to put our best foot forward down there. Not that I'm slighting this club, but if we've got a chance to nip this thing in the bud, I'm nipping it in the bud."
Zimmerman spent two weeks on the disabled list earlier this season with inflammation in the AC joint of that shoulder but returned on May 8 and had been swinging a potent bat in recent days. Over his last fiveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base