Game 45: Nats at Braves

May 25, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats open a big weekend series tonight at Turner Field.

In his seemingly never-ending quest to find a competent left fielder — not to mention a competent leadoff man — Davey Johnson's roulette wheel has stopped on Steve Lombardozzi. The rookie infielder has made a strong case for himself, both at the plate (he's hitting .317 with a .385 on-base percentage) and in the field (he's made a couple of nice plays while learning the outfield on the fly).

So tonight, in the opener of perhaps their biggest series of the season to date, the Nationals will have Lombardozzi in left field and leading off for the third time in four games. It worked twice in Philadelphia; might as well give it a shot in Atlanta.

It'll take a strong offensive performance from the Nats' lineup, top to bottom, to beat Tim Hudson (owner of a 13-3 record and 2.09 ERA in his career against them). And it'll take a strong start from Ross Detwiler (who has allowed 10 earned runs over his last 10 innings).

Unfortunately, I'm not in Atlanta for this weekend showdown, but I will be in Miami starting Monday for the Nationals' first series at Marlins Park. Until then, enjoy the big game and the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 86 degrees, Wind 1 mph in from RF

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. MicheleS - May 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Apparantly the LOMBO in LF Chant worked.Hope Det pitches 7 strong innings with less than 100 pitches.

2. SFNats - May 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Det gets some help with McCann and Chipper still out of the lineup…I'd rather beat the Braves at full strength, but we're not hurting, too, so it evens things out.

3. SFNats - May 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Sorry…we are hurting too. As if anyone was unclear on that LOL

4. baseballswami - May 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM

At this point I really don't care who plays where, while the regulars are injured. I also don't really care who hits in what order. I just think constant tinkering is bad for the team. These guys need to read each other in the outfield and get into a rhythm at the plate. I know they needed to try some options, but at some point you have just got to get off the fence, make a decision and stick with it for longer than five minutes. The carousel can be fun or it can just make you dizzy. I hope Det has his natitude going and zim got some rest.

5. m20832 - May 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

The chant worked! YAAAAYYY!!! Lombo is playing! If he's playing, he's hitting!GYFNG!!!

6. Steady Eddie - May 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

SFNAts @ 4:28 — exactly. I'd rather beat whoever the other team puts out on the field the day we play them.

7. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Interesting miscellaneous stuff (NNR — Not Nats Related) for pre-game reading.According to Statshttp://www.stats.com/emails/AccordingtoSTATS/MLB_ATS_0512.html

8. Steady Eddie - May 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

And I had to repost from the other thread — Letting The Wookie Win is not a lack of mental resilience.Hahah. Been actually working today so just catching up but Sofa wins the thread with that web gem.

9. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM

ooooh, Krauthammer has a new name for you-know-who: Henry the Wild.

10. TheManBearPig - May 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

swami, isn't the tinkering we're seeing mostly just changes based on LHP/RHP? I'm not sure that's a good thing, because I don't think Nady is helping them much against LHP and maybe more tinkering would be better.

11. JamesFan - May 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I'm starting to think of Espi as the Rick Ankiel of the infield. He's great on defense but can't hit and I'm not sure he ever will. The Nats front office is in love with him, but if Lombo was our regular 2d baseman and hitting .317 he could be in contention for ROY or the AS Game. Between the two, I think he will be the best everyday player in the long term.

12. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

This from Twitter:Drew Storen ‏@DrewStorenAnother good day of throwing. Everything feels great. So good to be working my way back to join the fun.Also, Wil Nieves called up to the Rockies, due to an injury to their catcher.

13. Tom in AR - May 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM

JamesFan – I am high on Lombo too, but to be fair, at this point last year Espinosa was in the ROY discussion.

14. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Pray for rain on Sunday. Gio wants to pitch in Miami. Says he won't wrestle JZ for the spot because JZ "is a beast."

15. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

He's 0-for-his-last-20 so he'd fit right in our outfield already. But I'd be tempted to take a chance on this guy:Nate McLouth has been DFA'd by the Pirates.

16. SFNats - May 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Espinosa has way, way more upside than Lombo. What remains to be seen is if he can live up to his potential. There were similar questions about Desi, but after a couple years, it looks like he's been able to put it all together. Some guys take time. As Tom in AR said, Espinosa got off to a hot start in his rookie season, too. From everything you read, Espi profiles as an above average second baseman with power and speed — at least a 20/20 guy and maybe more. Lombo is more in the mold of DeRosa. He doesn't have all of the natural ability, but he's a scrapper, and he should have a good career. Over the long haul, Espi should be better as long as he can play up to his ability. He's got All-Star talent.

17. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Guess who is having a good year in the AAA minor-league affiliate of the Pirates?25.1 IP, ERA = 0.36 WHIP = 0.789 Record 2-0.Did we give up on Doug Slaten too soon? :) :) Just kidding.(Actually, the stats are true.)

18. SonnyG10 - May 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Two points to remember regarding Lombardozzi before you decide to give him the 2b job over Espinosa: First, Lombardozzi has a weak throwing arm which hurts on completing double plays and making relay throws home from the outfielders. Second, the league hasn't adjusted to Lombo, yet. We have to see if Lombo can re-adjust to the league as it adjusts to him. (He hasn't had a chance to run into the sophomore slump yet.) I really like Steve but I do wish he had a stronger arm.

19. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM

If you are on Twitter, you NEED to see what the Braves organist is gonna play for our guys tonight. Check out @bravesorganistHe is taking suggestions…

20. SFNats - May 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

OMG, NatsLady, that's hilarious. Get ready to hear "Harper Valley PTA". That guy's great.

21. hiramhover - May 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I'd be tempted to take a chance on this guy:Nate McLouth has been DFA'd by the Pirates.Another light-hitting, lefty-batting OF? Um, no.

22. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

And for your daily Kool-Aid (do we even need it any more?)Here is the final paragraph.Where they finish: So far the Nats have been able to withstand so many injuries to so many of their important star players with out slowing down, it looks like nothing is going to derail this team. If they can keep up this pace until players like Mike Morse, Brad Lidge, and Jayson Werth get back, then there will be no reason to think this team couldn’t win the division with a record of 94-68.NL East chatterhttp://nleastchatter.com/2012/05/a-quarter-of-the-way-through-where-each-nl-east-team-stands/

23. Steady Eddie - May 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Someone had it wrong, but it's all good either way:@acomak: Michael Morse hit a homer as part of a 2-for-3 day in extended spring today. He'll play in extended thru Sunday, in Potomac on Monday.@AdamKilgoreWP: Mike Morse will play a rehab game Monday in Potomac, Davey says. Morse hit two homers today in extended spring training.Hack dat gorse! GYFNG!

24. Steady Eddie - May 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Potomac, eh? Maybe that's what I'm doing on Monday….

25. phil dunton - May 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Tim Hudson usually shuts down the Nats but hopefully tonight will be different.

26. JaneB - May 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

We miss you already Mark Z.I'm glad Lombo is in tonight. Plus it seems like Danny is better when Lombo is playing. Could be coincidental but still…and Danny really was a ROY candidate this time last year. We ( by which I mean "some of us though not me, and not some others") were wrong about Desi. I'm going with we're wrong about Danny, too.I am going to be glad to beat the Braves no matter who is on their or our roster. Hoping Ross is scary tonight, in. GOOD, no-bourbon-and-maalox-required way.GYFNG!

27. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Someone suggested Paparazzi for Lombardozzi, so you might hear that.

28. baseballswami - May 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Maybe that's what I am doing on Monday, too. What time is the game – is it a day game? I like Lombo and Espi and Desi and all of the guys. I just want to keep them all like it's September all the time. I want to keep all the pitchers, too. I soooo want to see them do well. I have found that it's more nerve-wracking when they have been winning because I have started to have hope and expectations. The long-term nats fan in me is always expecting the worst, though. Do you think I will ever get over that? I know it's only been since 2005, I can't even imagine how it feels to be a Cubs fan.

29. RickH - May 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Mark … Lombo is "learning the outfield on the fly?" Heh.

30. A DC Wonk - May 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I just think constant tinkering is bad for the team. These guys need to read each other in the outfield and get into a rhythm at the plate. I know they needed to try some options, but at some point you have just got to get off the fence, make a decision and stick with it for longer than five minutes. I tend to think the lineup has pretty much settled (until someone returns). #2 thru #8 has been fairly constant — except we had Espi move to #1 and Nady at #7, but we've pretty much seen this the past week, no?GYFNG! (I'm away all weekend . . . y'all carry on without me!)

31. natsfan1a - May 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM

It's $1 each for hotdogs and grandstand tix on Monday, I think.Will miss Mark's game commentary, but good to know that he'll be in Miami. (Hey, maybe he could sabotage the Carmen Miranda Memorial Home Run Sculpture? Kidding. Kinda.)Yep, ready for some baseball here. Hope that Braves are not too hot after their road trip and sweep by the Reds. Go, DET! Go, NATS!!Speaking of baseball, played hooky with the hubby today and we saw Men in Black III, which we liked. There was a baseball reference in the movie (the Miracle Mets) and Davey was mentioned. Is that a sign? :-)Steady Eddie said… Potomac, eh? Maybe that's what I'm doing on Monday…. May 25, 2012 5:50 PM

32. natsfan1a - May 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM

P-Nats game time on Monday is 6:05, I believe.

33. natsfan1a - May 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I'm not on Twitter or I'd suggest "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" for Desmond. (Yeah, I'm that old.)Maybe National Geographic channel theme for Gio? (Okay, kinda hard to play on the organ.)

34. jeffwx - May 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I like the lineup and with Morse back in…holy cow.Unfortunately, it appears Ankiel is still a starter even after Morse is back in (Morse/Ankiel/Harper).Would like to see C. Brown in CF instead of Ankiel.

35. jeffwx - May 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Desmond says to Harper, God, I like your grace, and in the evening, Desmond and Harper go to bat…yeah

36. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM

JamesFan said "I'm starting to think of Espi as the Rick Ankiel of the infield."=========================Like you, I have some doubts about Danny Espinosa (both for the remainder of this year and in the future), but the comparison isn't with Rick Ankiel. Mr. Ankiel, who will be 33 in mid-July, has almost 2000 plate appearances and over 1700 at-bats. Even if you exclude the 100 or so PAs/BAs he had as a pitcher, we — and the league — pretty know who he is and what he can do. He plays good defense (with a plus-plus arm) and his career slash line is .245/.307/.421. That's inflated a little from his first two years back from his pitcher-to-outfielder conversion; his Washington stats are a bit below that line. He will occasionally hit a HR or 2B, occasionally knock in a go-ahead run, and very occasionally walk. But no one — not the team, not the fans — sees any potential for him to turn into a front-line player who will be Nat for the long-term. There are no still-to-be-answered questions about Mr. Ankiel.Mr. Espinosa has had fewer than 1000 PAs and just over 800 ABs; he just turned 25. People who know baseball so much better than I ever will — such as Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson — see lots of potential for Mr. Espinosa to turn into a solid starter for the next decade. There are still lots of questions to be answered. Most fundamentally, will that 'potential' turn into reality. And folks can legitimately argue whether the best place to answer those questions is while playing daily in the majors or perhaps back in AAA for a stint (as I suggested a week or 10 days ago citing the Gaby Sanchez example). But he is not equivalent to Mr. Ankiel, meaning no offense to either of them.

37. SFNats - May 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM

natsfan1a — You're psychic. That's exactly what the organist Tweeted as his Desi song. But he's thinking "Rio" for Gio.

38. NatsLady - May 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM

1a, someone suggested exactly that for Desi. And Rio for Gio.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Would love to see Det pitch 7 innings 4 Hits 1 Run, 1 BB 5 Ks. 98 pitches. All Nats pitchers have that as the one thing they need to work on. Being more economical with their pitches. However since they are winning it has not been an issue yet, though could be in the future.

40. natsfan1a - May 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Thanks, SF and NatsLady. The person who suggested it must be in my demographic. And that was good, Jeff. :-)

41. baseballswami - May 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Isn't it difficult for power pitchers to be more economical? I mean – they are throwing the pitches that they think will get the guy out – if the guy whiffs or fouls it off, well, then – that's what happened. Do we really want them serving up meatballs? I have always heard the opposite comment made about Zim – that he catches too much of the plate and throws too many strikes. Which is it? Our pitchers have been doing a really good job and now we want to fix what might not be broken? My fear is that if you get something like that in a pitcher's head ( a scary place, by the way), then it might really make them overthink instead of pitching in their own style. oh — and whatnot. I thought teenagers all said " you know" and "like" – but with Bryce it's whatnot. ok.

42. natscan reduxit - May 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM

… Mark, while I realise the vagaries which exist to affect even the most reasonable of decisions, I can't help but wonder what it might be which causes you to miss this series, considering all its implications for the team…. I can only hope you (or your supervisors) feel it's necessary to miss a few now in lieu of the very big games to come in October.Go Nats!

43. Steve J, Alexandria - May 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Once again, I do like this lineup of Johnson's. This lineup scores runs; lineups with Espinosa battting first eeks out 1 or two runs.Keep lombo in the Lineup and use Nady less, a LOT less, Davey.

44. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I can't even imagine how it feels to be a Cubs fan. Swami, so much has been written on this, I should refer you to someone more articulate and insightful, but I will say this: It requires a particular kind of resilience to hold two necessary, but mutually exclusive, futures in your head at all times. One is the certainty that this the Cubs, and they cannot win. They might get close, usually once each generation, but that's just part of the lesson. The other certainty is that they will win, they have to win, someday. You hold these mutually exclusive ideas side by side in on your baseball belief system. So you steel yourself to the certainty of frustration and defeat, and at the same time keep perfect faith in the idea that maybe this is the year. And when that does happen, like it did for the Red Sox, Everything Will Change, and the Cubs will become just another good baseball team.

45. David - May 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

the point about Moore and Brown is that you CANNOT use Moore as a comparison to how well Brown will do in the majors. I mean 17 at-bats? Come on people. If Brown comes up and plays LF once ever two weeks and 17 at bats spread over 1 month…he'll also be 2-17 most likely. Both need to play every day. Moore is a first basemen who stinks at LF and is stuck behind ALR who's killing it. Brown needs to play every day, and is stuck behind WHO? Ankiel? Bernadina? a combined .500 OPS while playing LF? Moore is blocked. Brown isn't. He should be here, and that's the bottom line. GO NATS.

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I have MLB extra inning package, and one feature I like that some of the broadcast have, it the pitch count. I wish MASN would add that to that graphic.BY the way the flagship station had very little Nats talk as usualy when I would be listening around 5-530. They were instead talking about Mayo.

47. natsfan1a - May 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM

See, for example, this song. Swami, so much has been written on this

48. mick - May 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM

enjoying my third 7 and 7 gang… getting ready to follow it with a several Corona's GO NATS

49. baseballswami - May 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Game time! Feeling some jitters. Go nats!!!!!

50. Marty - May 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Sounded like a flyout, sorry for the doubt Zimm.

51. Fear and Ignorance - May 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Swami-Jitters turn to anger pretty quickly watching this offense fail to get guys in from 3rd with less than 2 outs every night.

52. Fear and Ignorance - May 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Thank you Desi…that was HUGE!!!

53. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Finally, an interesting MASN stat amid the Bobby-FP fluffer-fluck: Desi is hitting .461 on the first pitch.

54. jeffwx - May 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM

The Cubs and Chicago ruled baseball at the turn of the last century. They were as cocky then as the yankees and their fans are now.Trio of bear Cubs, fleeter than birdsTinkers to Evers to ChanceDesmond to Espi to Moore

55. jeffwx - May 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Not bad 2 out clutch for an ex pitcher

56. Eugene in Oregon - May 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Braves announcers had just noted that Ankiel killed the Braves last season — four of his nine HRs and 9 of his 30-something RBIs.

57. UnkyD - May 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

So….. Just what the heck is going on, down there?!

58. Marty - May 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Sorry Ross, you don't get to hit in the first :)

59. NatsJack in Florida - May 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

It's all about strike 1. Nobody on the staff for the last 6 starts have been good at getting strike 1.

60. UnkyD - May 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Enjoy the cushion, Det! (no nibbling…)

61. RickH - May 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Great first inning!

62. Marty - May 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

FP Telling Story-"Does it frustrate you as a starting pitcher not to get run support?""No"-blah blah blah about keeping the lead-"The frustrating thing was if your team didn't get any runs through-out the game."-and scene-

63. Joe Seamhead - May 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Mick, your 'Check Liver' light is going to come on soon and they won't be able to figure out how to turn it off.Wow! How about 'dem Nats!

64. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Detwiler finally missed a bat.

65. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Defensively, I'm not impressed with Bourn. He should have had Ankiel's blast, but he seemed to not know where the wall was in his home park.

66. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Wait–what–? (Catching up). We got 4 runs in the top of the first??? Ankiel hit a triple?? Is this the Nats?And Detwiler doesn't give it back!

67. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM

It's so much easier when you throw strikes.

68. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Yes, Probably the only greater starting pitching rotation than the current Nats were the 1907 Chicago Cubs who finished 107-45.Mordecai Three Fingers Brown 20-6Carl The Human Icicle Lundrgen 18-7Orvall Overall 23-7Big Ed Ruelbach 17-4Jack The Giant Killer Pfiester 14-9Compare to Stephen The Strikeout Strasburg Gio Smiley Gonzalas (also the Great Gyroscope, or the Slide)Crossing Jordan EZ ZimmermanBig Ed Edwin JacksonRoss The Destroyer Detwiller

69. UnkyD - May 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Humph….28 pitches. CMW may get 4-5 innings, tonight…?

70. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Mick…I'm comin over with the big book

71. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

ehay2k…..you really dislike Ankiel that much?

72. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Post of the day candidate:Joe Seamhead said… Mick, your 'Check Liver' light is going to come on soon and they won't be able to figure out how to turn it off.Wherever you are, Mick, don't drive.

73. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Maybe Gio "Got Gas" Gonzalaz

74. A DC Wonk - May 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

UnkyD said… Enjoy the cushion, Det! (no nibbling…)Can somebody please repeat that over and over to him! How many of those guys got to ball 3 in the first inning? Sheesh!OK, I'm outta here now (for the weekend). Take care all!GYFNG!!

75. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM

let's see how my man peric's favorite pitcher does with a 4 run lead, hee hee

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

4 pitch inning?

77. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

my liver is feeling no pain, I do not drive when enjoying my cheer

78. UnkyD - May 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM

4- pitch inning. Hope Det didn't hafta pee…

79. Knoxville Nat - May 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Peric is so quick to criticize Ankiel when he hits a late inning homer with the Nats up by 4 or 5 runs I wonder if he will be just as quick to give him some love for a 1st inning 2 run triple?

80. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM

And, jeffwx, it's one of those two:Desi to Espi, LaRoche!Or Desi to Espi to Morse.I'm starting to wonder, if Morse is raking when he returns, we don't bring up Brown and then trade LaRoche. I am not advocating this, just wondering how likely it is. Your thoughts Peric and NatsJack? I am fine if you cordially disagree, I am looking for well-reasoned, if differing, arguments.

81. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Has peric been back since that beautiful dressing down from 222 earlier today?

82. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM

ouch

83. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM

NatsJack, I like Ankiel a lot. It was a very good hit, but Bourn got a late jump, then slowed down to check his GPS for the wall position. Ankiel would hav e caught that, even though this is not his home park.

84. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM

ehay2k…you're right for this year….I'm thinking of peric's prospects for '13

85. Marty - May 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Let's hope McCann can keep the cookies down this evening. He looks rough.

86. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM

NatsJack, why do I get the feeling you are baiting people tonight? That is beneath you and the informed commentary and scouting reports you normally bring to this blog.

87. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM

OK…I've said it before and I'll say it again. While I believe Brown desrves a shot, you will not see him lining up in the outfield next to Bryce Harper unless required by injury.The Nats want a vetran presence next to Bryce (think Bryce in CF and Moore in LF which was really scary). Ankiel will be there until Werth comes back.

88. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I guess you have to hope Det can go 6? Unless he gets that pitch count down one inning, i don't see how

89. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackem lol

90. phil dunton - May 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Detwiler not sharp tonight. He's throwing way too many pitches and could be on borrowed time.

91. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

why did O's trade Davey? i dont remember off top?

92. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Yeah NJ…You are clearly an old geezer O's fan to quote another blogger. oh gawdddddd..

93. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Not baiting. Just stating what I think is somewhat biased since Bourne is noted for his ball hawking abilities and the Ankiel shot was crushed.

94. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM

phil:I am not a fan of Detweiler as a starter, middle relief he could be OK

95. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Hudson is aback on track, i hope 4 runs is enough tonight. If Strass, Zim or Gio were pitching, I would feel very good. Even Edwin

96. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Hudson throwing strike 1 and going after guys as if he's ahead 4-0….Ross please take note

97. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Darn..the nats are up the hudson river without a paddle for a bat

98. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I hear the Mr Softy music in my head when I watch Detweiler. He would fit in well with the Capitals, lol

99. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM

mick…you should be feeling fine regardless.Bring in hrod

100. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM

jeffwx, lololololo hee hee

101. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM

NatsJack, the baiting was in reference to your ping at peric, and also to me questioning whether I liked Ankiel when I said Bourn should have caught Ankiel's CF shot. Just seemed like a bit of a shot which I don't think I deserved since I was dinging Bourn.I do note now that Ankiel easily read and tracked Bourn's shot which had Barves fans screaming. :-)

102. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Lomb and Ankiel looked like the 62 Mets outfield

103. Marty - May 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Yeah, that play needs a gif to be made out of it.

104. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Well, that was a comedy of errors in left. Mickey Morse, get well soon.

105. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Keystone Kops routine in left-center…Ross needs to stick with his fastball

106. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM

All's fair in love and peric

107. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Or the 72 mets Dave Schneck and Don Hahn collisionwhat the heck happened to Schneck

108. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM

if we can get out of the 3rd giving up only 1 run, that would be OK. i hope Stammen warms up soon and Davey goes with Wang in 5 days instead of this no confident player in Det

109. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM

15 yards for Clipping on Ankiel…

110. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM

ehay2k……when it comes to peric, I will always be guilty as charged.But Ankiel serves a purpose most posters don't acknowledge, especially now that Werth is out.

111. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM

jeffwx… forgot about schneck, man we are some old mofos, lol

112. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM

swift, bada bing lolo

113. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM

yes…Ankiel is the nats day tripperoblah dee

114. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM

This is exactly the kind of situation Detwiler needs to step up. One run and I'll be happy.

115. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Is the Wang-meister warming up? Because he should be. I would be ok with Det for 4, Wang for 5.Or the other way around. He needs time, though, so I hope he's starting.

116. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I am guilty as charged too…The only poster without dementia is likely peric i think.

117. phil dunton - May 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Time to warm up Wang.

118. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Over 70 pitches already!

119. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Why in the world did Uggla turn around and curse at the ump? Was he mad his follow through didn't hit him?

120. mick - May 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM

get this wuss otta here

121. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Detwiler….I don't know what to say…..I'll go back to STRIKE 1.

122. Marty - May 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM

If Ross can just hold on for three more innings… then Wang will be ready to come in.

123. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM

They heard your blogs…Wang's up tonight

124. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Yowza….warming up Wang.

125. Marty - May 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Seriously though. McCann literally looks like he is going to vomit and Ross is afraid to go after him.

126. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Now Barving, Brian McCann, Atlanta Barves,

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

McCatty needs to chew Det out, way too many balls, and way too many fouls after 2 strikes. Can't pitch 5 doing that.

128. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Poor situational pitching – fire McCatty! :-D

129. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Ross showing us all his good and bad traits tonight..Yes, he's wild, but his best pitches (fastballs) have been very sharp…sure looks like his issues are all upstairs

130. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Ross knows he's not pitching great. No one needs to chew him out.

131. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Det has only missed like 3 bats all nite and can't pitch efficiently.But give him credit for getting out of the 3rd.And Espi strikes out again

132. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Danny couldn't hit Hudson if you gave him 6 strikes..

133. Fear and Ignorance - May 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Why does it look like Espinosa swings a 22 inch bat??? I have never seen a major leaguer's swing look so choppy.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Quit giving away outs. You call a hit run the batter must hit it.

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

What a waste. Flores gets the hit anyway. What was the deal with running?

136. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Flores could not reach that pitch with h Dunn's bat.

137. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

oh yeah…hudson couldn't hit danny's bat if you gave him six balls.

138. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Det at 77 pitches, Wang prob already at 80 in the bullpen…

139. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM

you run to keep out of the double play. you don't run to score runs.

140. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Carp retires number 11….now that's fast.

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Well if he knws he pitching bad, he is the one who can take care of it.

142. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM

yeah….Wang has already pitched 3 simulated games

143. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Det with a 1-2-3.Didn't see that coming.

144. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM

If Det can get through 5, Wang will go 6 and 7.

145. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Det looked better that inning 11 pitches. However had the first two on 5 pitches. Then started pitching balls again. lets score more runs.

146. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM

If he's warmed up by then Jack! Wang is so high maintenance…sure hope he doesn't have to cover 1st tonight

147. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Earlier today a lot of posters seemed willing to concede this game to Tim Hudson against Ross. It might be ugly, but he has only given up 1 run. Not much has been pretty this season, folks.

148. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM

You're right Swami, I'll stop complaining..Scoreboard is all that matters

149. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Wang will be ready. Nat's need one more inning out of Ross.

150. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM

holy….no decision for det

151. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Not a lip-reader, but I don't think Det was wishing Grandpa Davey a Happy Holiday there.

152. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

That my friends, is a manager saying "grow up".

153. Fear and Ignorance - May 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Where are those people that said Detwiler over Lannan was a slam-dunk. Give me Lannan any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Detwiler. Say what you want about Lannan…but at least he is a fighter!!!

154. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I feel bad for Ross. I just do. I hope that isn't the last time we see him as a starter this year. And yet I still hope Wang is lights out so we win tonight.

155. phil dunton - May 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

If Wang pitches well, Det is toast as a starter.

156. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Damn.

157. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Sinker ball up…Great relay to 3rd

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Detwiler has no one to blame but himself. get the three outs he gets the win.Ankiel took a terrible angle on that ball, looked like to me that should have been caught.Now when we get up batters need to get off their diuffs and start playing again.

159. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM

OY! Go out to dinner and Det didn't even make it out the 5th. SHEEESH!

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I want Det to pitch well too, but you can't be nibbling when you are up 4-0, it makes no sense.

161. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM

The pitch wasn't that bad, Derek. Could have been down a little more but Diaz was first ball hunting.

162. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Wow. Hearing about Tim Lincecum makes me feel better about Ross. I mean, Tim Lincecum!

163. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Lucky for the Barves Diaz wasn't on a shift for LaRoche.

164. hiramhover - May 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM

And now for the really important question – does Wang have highlights in his hair?He looks like he has black hair over his ears and reddish brown hair in the back.

165. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Espinosa has absolutely no clue what he's doing.

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

For once I will excuse Epsi for striking out as that pitch looked way high. I know nothing Det pitched near there was called a strike.

167. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Maybe Danny should try some highlights in his beard

168. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Not just Tim Lincecum – Hallady struggling, too. Pitching is not child's play. RossD is still a fairly new big-league starting pitcher. How quickly you forget how good he can be. How about a little more offense? You all talk like Detweiler is some sniveling baby – Wang is supposed to be the experienced veteran and he is so high-maintenance he can apparently only do one thing – and then only when the conditions are perfect. Maybe he needs to start sucking it up. You know, Strassie and Gio are just praying that they have a start with 4 runs in the first. Are our starting pitchers so used to being in trouble that they can't pitch without an adrenaline high?

169. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 1:33 AM

The top of these innings is so fast if you blink you miss it.

170. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I don't know Jack, too many balls in the air, but I admit to never being a Wang fan…Hope he can bridge the gap to the bullpen

171. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Stammen seventh, Clipp eighth and you-know-who in the ninth.I'm going out to stock up on the Maalox and bourbon.

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Carp wants them to bat for Wang. I said let him pitch another inning or two unless they need to take him out. He's been pitching at least 5 in minor league games.

173. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM

As an ex catcher, I love a good sinker ball guy and FP is not lying. It's like trying to hit a bowling ball.Tom Bradley threw the best sinker I ever caught and my palm just below my thumb would be bruised after catching him.Wang throws a better sinker.

174. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM

No WAY they put in Wild Henry tonight!

175. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM

No way that just happened!

176. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Wang's was our best at-bat since the first inning.

177. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Way.

178. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM

CMW walks!!! This is officially a weird game.

179. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Has CMW ever been on third before?

180. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Wang runs the bases like a jogger in Rock Creek Park … with a piano on his back.

181. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM

LOMBO…HARPER

182. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I'm sure he's been told through one of his people that he shouldn't run hard for fear of a comical trip and fall all over himself injury

183. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Walk a 19 year old to pitch yo the face?

184. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Wang looked like Fred Flintstone going around second.

185. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Zim getting hosed by ump tonight, first pitch was way inside per Pitch F/X

186. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

LOMBO///HARPER///ZIMMWhat a lineup

187. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

thank you CMW for starting that!

188. Smatt1001 - May 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Let's go Zimm!

189. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

7 runs but no wings for me.

190. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

2 out Walk to Wang, and a terrible 0-2 pitch to Zim…worst Hudson has ever looked v Nats

191. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

7 runs off Hudson! Me like!

192. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Poor Timmy Hudson. Could fall to 14-4 lifetime against us. Wang's at-bat turned that whole inning around. Now you gotta start Wang … for his bat!

193. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Okay. We absolutely cannot have Livan enter the game against us, now or later. I won't be able to root against him.

194. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Zim heard about Morse today and decided to do some Gorse Hacking himself!!!!!

195. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

In the words of my friend MiceleS….WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

196. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

All 7 runs with 2 out hits I believe, Very Clutch

197. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

All without Morse, Werth, Ramos and Storen

198. TimDz - May 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Zimmerman: "I got your tomahawk chop right here …

199. Fear and Ignorance - May 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Good things never happen when you walk the pitcher…especially one that has an .030 AVG. Nice hit by Zim in a crucial spot there. Good to see him turn on one.

200. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Walking a teenager to pitch to Ryan Zimmerman? That could make you a teeny bit ticked off! Quite amusing!

201. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Our guys are really good. They are.

202. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM

One morr solid inning and Wang may finish the game.

203. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM

JaneB, if Livo comes in, we can root for him to strike out the side , just as we root for our guys to do the same. Six out each, Nats win 7-3. :-)

204. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Heeeyyy Kool-Aid… Livo warming in his Red Shirt

205. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Ok. Ehay. I can do that. Phew.

206. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Walker harper to face Zim. Way to Zim. Hitting with people on base much better tonight. Good kob Eck.

207. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I can't contain my enthusiasm….woohooAnd good pitching always beats good hitting…mind blowing team on par with the 1907 Chicago Cubs

208. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Derek….see how much fun a solid sinker bsll guy would be with the power arms?I love the mix

209. Donald - May 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

So who wants to play manager? Do you bring in Burnett for the 8th and Clippard for the 9th, or do you ride the Wang wagon for another inning? I say, let Wang pitch and keep the bullpen fresh.

210. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Swift. LMAO! Hey koolaid!

211. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Man, how many posters started the holiday drinkfest early? More typos ( mine included) than a Dan Quayle tweet!

212. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM

not smart to bring livo in….no team knows him better

213. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Livo is wiley, jeffwx. He was PFB.

214. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 2:04 AM

oh well…better to hit against the livo you don't know

215. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Jack, I know it's his first outing, but I see lots of balls up

216. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 2:07 AM

That was weird. Mr swing at first pitch walks on a 3-2 count, and the two strikeout kings both hit the first pitch (one for a double play)

217. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I thought CMW was a ground ball guy.

218. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM

He got around and drilled as Ralph Kiner would say.

219. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I just hope there I not a bunt play involved while Livo is in the game – either his bunting or our guys.

220. hmm... - May 26, 2012 at 2:09 AM

jeffwxdo we have some mutual friends?sobernats@gmail.com

221. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM

or was it Lindsey Nelson ???He had the best sports jackets ever

222. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Ralph Kiner! My original announcer!

223. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I'm a good friend of Bill.

224. Fear and Ignorance - May 26, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I think Davey sees a lot of Scott Erickson in Wang. He was pretty good for Davey at the end of 1996 and all of 1997. From August of '96-October of '97 he was 25-9 with a couple of wins in the playoffs. Hopefully Wang can do something close to that if he starts. Those sinker-ballers have a way of getting on a roll for 5-6 starts at a time. Agree with NatsJack…like the change of pace from the other 4 starters.

225. hmm... - May 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM

7/9/87

226. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Did anyone see this coming? It's a slugfest with our puny offense and a Braves team coming off a drought. This is by no means over.

227. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Change of pace sounds like a good idea. I hope it works. I'd prefer to stick with Det b/c he's still part of the long term plan in the rotation, and Wang isn't. I'd like to see a few good starts by Wang, then trade him when his value his high…he's always going to be fragile

228. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Swami, you mean you see us getting more runs, right?

229. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 2:20 AM

If the Swami didn't see it, how could any of us? Lol

230. Donald - May 26, 2012 at 2:20 AM

At this point, I bring Burnett back for the 9th and if anyone gets on at all, I bring in Clippard. I didn't agree with pulling Detwiler in the 5th, so I guess I'm not on the same page as Davey tonight.

231. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

C'mon Tyler!

232. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Swami, you need to fast forward your recording of the game to real time before you post. :-)

233. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Beating Hudson is like stealing one, even if it's Stras much less Detwiler. 3 more outs!

234. RickH - May 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Go Tyler!

235. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM

2!

236. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM

No doubt Jack, even the few times the Nats beat Hudson, they never hit him like this. Maybe the most impressive night of offense all season (so far)

237. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM

He got out Prado!

238. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Clipp is solid as ever. I guess I save the Maalox for another night. May 25, 27-18, still in soul possession of first place."WOOOO-HOOOOOO!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011.)

239. RickH - May 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM

240. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Can we please get Mr. nausea out?

241. JaneB - May 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Here is a MichelleS patented woooooohoooooooo!

242. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

243. Swift Eagle - May 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Who gets the win? Wang? Bad rule

244. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Yes….. WHOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

245. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!

246. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Thanks to my imaginary friends for making the game more interesting.GYFNG!

247. Eugene in Oregon - May 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Even if he didn't make it out of the 5th, I've got to say one positive thing about Mr. Detwiller: Despite allowing at least two runners on base in each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings, he got out of those three innings having only given up one run. The Braves could easily have tied the game up (or even gone ahead) by the end of the 3rd. I know he'll be frustrated that he didn't get the win, but Mr. Detwiller didn't give the game away either. And we've all seen that happen before.

248. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I saw on twitter something about victorino and lee arguing in the dugout. I always knew their fans eat their young, now the players are turning on each other? Anyone else hear anything ?

249. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Swami apparently Shane didnt make a few catches in CF

250. natsfan1a - May 26, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Walk the kid to get to Elwood, er, Zimmerman? There he is, kids! Woooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooo!!

251. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 2:48 AM

12/10/08woohoo…No Maalox and Yoohoo tonight.

252. natsfan1a - May 26, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Oh, dear. A near slugout in the dugout with the Flyin Hawaiian? Get the rocking chair, I think I feel the vapors coming on.

253. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Ross is looking more and more like a middle reliever.He cannot start if he can't go six+ innings on a regular basis.

254. jeffwx - May 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM

5th starter by committee

255. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Natsfan1a, what dugout dustup are you talking about?

256. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM

100 pitches to go less than five, only 61 strikes?

257. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Looking at Twitter, apparently Cliff Lee was yelling at Victorino about 2 balls in the outfield should have been caught.

258. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Did you hear Zim on the postgame? He actually said he was pissed. – Have you ever heard him utter one word that was not squeaky clean? It will be kind cool if opposing pitchers just have to pitch to Bryce because Zim is right behind him. He ripped the covers off two balls tonight. Could be he is awake now? Some really hard-hit balls tonight.

259. Faraz Shaikh - May 26, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Swift Eagle, I don't think Ross deserved win either.Great win tonight!

260. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Thanks Natslady. Well, I'm sure Vitorino is looking forward to a trade NOW! :-) I can't wait to read the phans' blogs.

261. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Oh, the Nats always deserve a win!

262. Faraz Shaikh - May 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM

what a changeup to end the game! better than most of his fastballs.

263. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Davey is even getting the CMW for starter from the Taiwanese press.

264. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Oh swami, WE deserve the win, along with Zimm, having suffered the past few years.

265. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 3:02 AM

And Harold Reynolds is beating the drum for Ian to be at the All Star game.

266. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 3:04 AM

The braves organist is going to play Hot Stuff as walk up music for Stras tomorrow.

267. natsfan1a - May 26, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Sorry, ehay. Meant to post a link and now I can't find it. Evidently Cholly got between them in the dugout. I'm not used to staying up this late. :-)btw, that was funny, jeffwx.jeffwx said… yes…Ankiel is the nats day tripper oblah dee May 25, 2012 8:40 PM

268. Tcostant - May 26, 2012 at 3:08 AM

After all this time it's fun to be a Nats fan.

269. Steady Eddie - May 26, 2012 at 3:12 AM

This team is shedding the ghosts of failed seasons past…Beating up on Doc Halladay and Tim Hudson in one week?Not just scoring runs but pinning the loss on them?New team, new day, anything is possible!(OK, I'll admit it, Knob Creek with no Maalox tonight…)GYFNG!

270. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Braves put Chipper on the DL after the game.

271. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 3:25 AM

From amanda.. very telling:Amanda Comak‏@acomakDavey used the words "disappointed" and "frustrated" with regard to fact that Detwiler "didn't take charge and go right after them."

272. TimDz - May 26, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Eddie…Knob Creek…good choice…

273. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 26, 2012 at 3:33 AM

NatsJack, does Detwiler deserve another chance ?

274. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 26, 2012 at 3:35 AM

What great fun y'all are! 1a with the Muhammad-Ali-style Phils talk, jeffwx with that great '07 Cubs comparison.And congrats to you both, jeffwx and hmm.

275. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Obliged by duty to be elsewhere this evening. Since Mark is out for these games, if somebody could fill in the PxP a little bit, this would all make a little more sense, and those of us not able to be here synchronously will surely appreciate it. Thanks.

276. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 26, 2012 at 3:55 AM

@Soul Possession: Nats scored four in the first. Two on a triple by Ankiel. Det was nicked for a run in the third and two in the fourth. Davey yanked him after 100 pitches, going just 4.1 innings, not eligible for the win. Hudson got stronger after that first inning. He was close to getting a 1-2-3 in the seventh when CMW, allowed to bat by Davey, worked a walk. Lombo doubled him two third. They pitched around Harper to get to Zimm. Big mistake: Zimm ripped a bases-clearing double to make it 7-3. Braves got a meaningless run, Livo worked a 1-2-3 eighth. Clipp closed 'em out 1-2-3 in the ninth.That;s your update. Nats two up on the Braves with Jesus and Gio coming up. Braves have lost 5 straight. Might make it seven.

277. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 26, 2012 at 3:58 AM

278. DWS - May 26, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Sunshine nice Coles nutshell. Strike zone seemed to vary IMO. Ross has got to learn not to show his emotions (feelings) on the mound. That's where he has to mature. If he does he can and will be a very good pitcher.

279. Gonat - May 26, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… I put Detwiler out there on Wednesday, and have Wang ready, and another one like tonight the hook might be there. He has given up 13 ER in the last 14.1 innings, that isn't very good. May 25, 2012 11:58 PM ________________________________Tough to watch Detwiler get his pitch count up by not putting away batters. Just can't call a guy a starter who can't go more than 6 innings consistently.

280. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 26, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Thanks, Sunshine. I did read the gamer on CSN.

281. Drew - May 26, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Meanwhile, up in Syracuse, Downtown Corey Brown breaks the Chiefs record by homering in his fifth straight game. (Did I mention the .399 on base percentage?)Hey Mike, Paul McCartney left you a message:Someone's knocking at the doorSomebody's ringin' the bell …

282. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Ghost… while the performance was awful, the fight was excellent. I'd give him one more chance in Miami next week.

283. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Both Amanda and Adam have excellent gamers (you know, since our Fearless leader can't be down there – HEY CSN.. spend some of my cable money!)

284. Joe Seamhead - May 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Nats Jack, I'm not sure how you work him in,but Corey Brown deserves to be called up. He is by all accounts a superior OF to anyone we have healthy, though he desn't possess Ankiel's arm, but who does? He's a very good base runner, and since abandoning the modifications to his swing the coaches tried to make last year,he has hit the snot out of the ball. He has demonstrated that he is a lead off hitter with power. He has earned a cup of coffee.

285. natsfan1a - May 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Item on the Lee and Victorino confrontation which the Phillies evidently don't want to talk about. As Well, Pence did say something about it being twilight time (when he tried to make a catch). Yes, Hunter. Yes it is. Tick. Tock. :-)

286. natsfan1a - May 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Crud, I dropped my comma. Twilight time and all.

287. Brother Juniper - May 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Zimmerman's double was sweet. With 2 outs and an 0-2 count, it is the hit the Nats too often fail to get.

288. Get Some Players - May 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

What Drew said.

289. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Some thoughts from Atlanta:AJC Sports page Lots of good stuff on the Nats. The Daily DOB Blog has a nice preview of the series.

290. MicheleS - May 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Sorry, Link busted:AJC Sports Page

291. NatsJack in Florida - May 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Joe…. I agree that Brown deserves a shot but….the Nats are determined to keep a veteran presence next to Bryce in the outfield and that blocks Brown for the time being. And Ankiel has his moments of success so he's the guy till Werth comes back.

292. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Leftover thoughts: What was Atlanta thinking to pitch around Bryce to get to Zim? Who wants to bet that never happens again? Zim – that was a sweet moment for this Nats fan! He made them pay and it was very satisfying. Also – Burnett and Clip are both pretty savvy pitchers with some experience and some stuff from the left and the right. I think either one of them can pitch in the 8th or 9th. Funny, too, how Burnett has just not been used all that much this season – he has to have the fewest innings.As for Det — it might not have been pretty but it was not a high-run melt down. Did you see Hudsons face when he gave up the double to Zim? Lincecum melted down pretty good last night. Those guys have a lot more years on them than Det and had a lot worse outings. Did you happen to notice that Wang just can't run at all. He has had foot and hammy injuries – he should be required to strike out each and every time he is up. Scary to watch him run. Fragile and high maintenance. Hope he is worth all this trouble.

293. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Watching the game this morning on MLB.tv because I was working last night. Really, how many times did Ross have the hitter 0-2 and then get to 3-2 and foul off a few? No wonder his pitch count was high and in the 2nd inning Carp and FP are already "hoping" he can get to 5 innings. You have a four run lead. THROW STRIKES. CMW's velocity hit 94. Yes, his sinker didn't always drop as much as you would like, but what a pleasure to watch him work when it did, ground ball after ground ball. Really hope Davey lets CMW start and pairs him with Detwiler (like Stras and Gorzy), righty/lefty and two different styles for hitters to adjust to.And Ross, if you don't want to get pulled mid-inning and have your inherited runners score, stop scuffing your feet on the mound and PITCH BETTER.

294. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

P.S., I understand about 2005, but I still love the standings. Now other teams have to come to us. The Nats are the "tough part of the schedule"! Thank you, Huddy, for "pissing off" the Face. We need him mad!

295. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Lannan report: 5 earned in 5 innings. He retired 14 of 16 batters he faced. Before that he gave up a solo HR and after that he gave up a solo HR and then left in the 6th with a 3-2 lead and the bases loaded, nobody out. All three inherited runners scored because the next guy (Hassan Pena) gave up a slam. Syracuse Chiefs game storyhttp://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120525&content_id=32235714&vkey=news_t552&fext=.jsp&sid=t552

296. ehay2k - May 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Natslady – nice new avatar/pic. Freddie, nice way to light a fire under Zimm. Timmy H. – "We should have won that game." Hey, that's what WE used to say, two-plus years ago. Heading over now to read some phan phlailing. Hope Mark Z has something for us today before the game. :-)

297. mick - May 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Det should gear his anger towards Davey at himself, that my help him. he should go to middle relief and Wang should be the 5th starter. Davey did an excellent coaching job last night.

298. mick - May 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM

not that hung over, lol… the 2005 comparison is absurd period. That team was ancient and lucky. this team is young and for real and talented. Thinking ahead, the Nats pitching gets stronger with Lidge and Storen coming back along with Wang as a 5th starter. Det may be better off helping team in middle relief and he needs to become tougher. The only ones who you show the door to pitching wise is Hrod and Perry. On the offensive side, Lombo is everything the scouts said he could be and Harper is a special player. Add Morse to this team and it could be enough. Bernadina and Nady should go bye bye. If Werth can come back, maybe bring up Corey Brown in August and we could roll. It is too bad Ramos is out. Flores is doing splendid but we need some depth. One can see the Nats in 2013 and on as perhaps the best team in MLB

299. Eugene in Oregon - May 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

MicheleS: Thanks for the AJC link.Loved the Tim Hudson quote after giving up seven earned runs: "I was a couple pitches from throwing a shutout…"Recalls several similar quotes:– Capt. Edward Smith, RMS Titanic: "I was a couple icebergs from crossing the Atlantic…";– Gen. Heinz Guderian: "I was a couple snowflakes from taking Moscow…"; and, of course,– Pres. Richard Nixon: "I was a couple tapes from getting away with it…"

300. mick - May 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Eugenedont forget Maxwell Smart's famous quote"missed it by that much"

301. Drew - May 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM

ESPN's MLB standings include some revealing numbers.The Nats have scored 22 more runs than they've allowed. Their +22 run differential ranks fourth in the NL and sixth in the majors.The Nats have done this while scoring only 170 runs. Only four of the 30 teams are worse — Oakland, San Diego, the Cubs and Pittsburgh.The reason, of course, is that the Nats' pitchers have allowed only 148 runs, the fewest in baseball.If this team can muster more offense it's going to be tough to beat.P.S. How good are the Rangers? They're already at +90. Wow.

302. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Drew, yeah, fer sure the Rangers are on a mission. The surprises are the O's and the Dodgers without Kemp.The O's had 11,000 walkups last night. Broke a record.

303. NatsLady - May 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Not only did RZ say he was "p***ed" about the walk to Harper, he said "sh**" to the ump about the first pitch inside ball that was called a strike.And then it goes 0-2 and he hits a double. Major League ball there, ML ball!

304. Gonat - May 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Watching this horrible show of NatsTalk Live on MASN as they disect the Nats game last night. 10 minutes talking about Detwiler.Detwiler starts the season like Rizzo made the right move sending Lannan down. The last 4 starts look like you can stick a fork in Detwiler.Detwiler threw 4 walks and even in some of his strikeout threw too many pitches to get the strikeouts. There was no efficiency in the strikeouts. 4 1/3 innings or these 5 inning starts is not great. Detwiler pitched with an extra games rest also.I would not be surprised to see Wang make the next start. Wang was 5th starter until he was injured in Spring Training. I was a believer that Detwiler was the guy who should start last night mostly based on the lefty/lefty matchup. Wang was up early in the bullpen. According to Phil Wood, Wang threw over 70 pitches in the bullpen before he took the mound.

305. Gonat - May 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

NatsLady said… The O's had 11,000 walkups last night. Broke a record. May 26, 2012 9:52 AM_____________________________Friday night, Holiday weekend, casual fanbase energized by the rumor that the team is finally going to sign a big piece long-term (Adam Jones).Biggest reason is Friday night is College night discounts so Friday nights with good weather has received great walk-ups anyway.

306. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Eugene and Mick – hilarious!! That's real confidence. Gonat – sometimes I drop in on that snoozefest on masn. No production values, no video. Phil Wood is usually good but the others are Balmer homers. They truly pontificate for hours. Zim kind of surprised me last night with his demeanor – developing some Natitude? I hope he keeps that chip on his shoulder for a long time. Still can't believe that they chose to pitch to him instead of Bryce. Detweiler lost his swagger when he cut his hair. Just needs to get his swagger back. And throw some strikes. Watch JZim.

307. natsfan1a - May 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM

On an Atlanta note, you might also enjoy this.Heading over now to read some phan phlailing.

308. Gonat - May 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Lets look at Tim Hudson's dominance of Zim. 46 at-bats prior to yesterday and a .173 batting average and only 2 life-time RBIs against Hudson with no Home Runs.Its as if Zim put himself in walk-off mode in that at-bat and behind in the count 0-2.Also before last night, Hudson was 13-3 against the Nats and went through a stretch in 2007 to 2008 where he went 7-0. He has never given up 7 earned runs against the Nats.

309. Gonat - May 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

baseballswami – This is the Nats Only show called NatsTalk Live. Can't watch that show with Dave Johnson and Mel Antonen as you are right.This is the 2 hour NatsTalk Live. Horrible production value like you said with no video or stats flashed up. One caller asked what a 4 seam fastball is and Phil Wood said he had no baseball in the studio to demonstrate.

310. Gonat - May 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Amanda Comak writes….Tim Hudson has been tough on the Nationals in his career. He entered Friday night's contest having been the pitcher of record in 17 of his 23 starts against them — and having won 14 of those. But of all the Nationals Hudson is tough on, Ryan Zimmerman might have been the worst. Before Friday, Zimmerman had faced Hudson in 48 plate appearances. He had eight hits — and only one for extra bases. The numbers certainly were stacked in Hudson's favor. Eight strikeouts, .174 average against, .208 on-base percentage, .196 slugging.______________________________________I see Amanda did similar research to what I did at 11:00am and she is incorrect, Hudson's record was 13 wins against the Nats not 14. She didn't subtract out a 2003 win against the Expos.

311. baseballswami - May 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM