Game 47: Nats at Braves

May 27, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats try to pull off a sweep on Sunday Night Baseball from Turner Field.

This scenario may sound a bit familiar: The Nationals have taken the first two games from a division rival in convincing fashion and now have an opportunity to sweep the series in front of a nationally televised audience. Yes, we've seen this one before. Perhaps the outcome will be different this time around, considering the Nats have had nine previous opportunities to sweep a series and have yet to pull it off.

You couldn't ask for a better pitching matchup for Sunday Night Baseball, with Gio Gonzalez (6-1, 1.98) facing Brandon Beachy (5-2, 1.77). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it's the first time two pitchers with sub-2.00 ERAs and sub-.200 opponents' batting averages and at least 50 innings pitched have met each other since 1985. Wow.

I'll actually be en route from Washington to Miami for the first portion of the game, the only way I could get down there in time for tomorrow afternoon's Memorial Day game against the Marlins. Until then, enjoy the proceedings and the conversation here as always…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: ESPN
Radio: WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), WJFK (106.7 FM), WTEM (980 AM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 83 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from RF

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. MurrayTheRed - May 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Go Nats. Time to sweep in dramatic fashion!

2. TimDz - May 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Not really thrilled that the Nats have this late game and then have to go to Miami to play a 1 PM game. Was today's game originally scheduled to be a day game, then picked up by ESPN? I guess it is showing that the Nats are an up and coming team…I noticed that ESPN's Sportcenter has had Nat's highlights early in the show (typically right after the NBA highlights). I guess this is what happens when the team is good…lots of prime time exposure…Not a bad tradeoff…

3. UnkyD - May 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Sorry, folks… But this bug is suddenly in my britches, and I can't figger why they wouldn't be bringing Corey up, toot suite….(condensed postings from earlier): UnkyD said…'Morning, all!! I'm hoping Brown is on his way, to play CF every day, for the next couple of months. If he can hit reasonably well (make that a little better than Nady/Ankiel/Bernadina), what would we think of him getting 2 starts a week, in relief of each of Morse/Harper/Werth, and Lombo doing the same with Espy/Desi/Face? Get the rotation right, and one of those two can lead off, most days, and we'd have one of the regulars available for Hairy Chest Duty, most days, as well as what ever other bench options, for late game double switch situations. It just seems like, absent Browns potential contributions, Rizzo will have …to go shopping, at the deadline, and that could be avoided, if possible…GYFGOGOGOGO!!!!!!!May 27, 2012 11:52 AM   UnkyD said…Hi Davey……..May 27, 2012 11:53 AM   UnkyD said…I'm… Of course, I was referring to a defensive rotation, post ASB, through the WS…. In case it wasn't obvious….May 27, 2012 12:00 PM   UnkyD said…Just think…. Up/down by 1…. 6th/7th inning… You can slip IN one of your starting power bats, when there's 2 on base….. I'm liking this….. UnkyD said…Swift Eagle said…I'd like to see Brown too…but let's remember he's 26 and has had 3 MLB at bats…There's a reason 2 organizations have moved younger players to The Show ahead of him…—————–Yep. That's why I'm thinking "If not now, when?". He'll be 27, next year… He's raking, and if he comes up now, he can play every day, until Werth comes back. Somebody tell me when a better opportunity will come along… Anybody? If he doesn't come up now…we'll never know. We'll stick with the weaky-streaky bench outfielders, and hope their streaks time out efficiently, and next year, he turns into a pumpkin….

4. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Well, the Padres did nothing for us, scoring 1 run in 27 innings, but the Giants just beat Miami, and StL is all over the Fillies 8-1 in the bottom of the 7th. Go Cards!

5. TimDz - May 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM

NatsLady…As long as the Nats continue to take care of business in their NL East games, there will be less need for scoreboard watching…I'm sure we all still WILL though…

6. NCNatsie - May 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Goooooo, Gioooooo! We want to see that million dollar smile at the end of the game!!

7. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Tommy Milone just got out of a 1st inning bases loaded jam vs. the Yanks. He is going for his 7th win.

8. djinFl. - May 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Mark- Tell them you want the flight that goes west of Tampa and loops back to Miami. High winds and bands of rain in Northeastern Fl. all day. The storm is due to arrive on the coast in a few hours.Keep that seat belt fastened.

9. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

TimDZ, not really thrilled if the Nats are planning to fly out after the game, either, if the storm hits "in a few hours."

10. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Mark…I'm driving down in the morning for the game. Sitting about 15 rows back of the Nats dugout. Hope to be in the ball park about 11:30. I'm interested to see if the Nats take bp with the quick turnaround but pretty sure they almost have to due to playing in a new venue for the first time.

11. djinFl. - May 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM

NatsLady, the boys are coming out of Atlanta, much further west of DC. But you can bet it will be a longer flight than usual on the western coast before heading to Miami. The storm is suppose to stall out when it hits land and provide us with about 6" of rain.

12. SonnyG10 - May 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Kinda feel sorry for Det, but also anxious to see what Wang will bring to the table in the starting rotation.Let's sweep the Braves tonight!!!! GYFNG!!!

13. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Syracuse Chief's manager on Corey Brown out of the lineup for 2nd straight day: No comment.

14. SonnyG10 - May 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM

djinFl, keep your powder dry. 6" is a lot of rain.

15. Swift Eagle - May 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Said this yesterday, but I hope they send JZim to Miami today..no reason for him to sit in the dugout and get no sleep before an early start tomorrow

16. ehay2k - May 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Wow I see Doc Halladay left early due to some sort of soreness issue. I hope he's not seriously injured. He also gave up a slam is the first. Of course, in the back of my mind, I keep hearing Tick Tock…Seems to be getting louder.

17. Another_Sam - May 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Did anyone see anything regarding SS's health today? I poked around a bit and didn't see anything.

18. Free Corey Brown - May 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Yo Mike, I'm waiting for my call……..

19. Swift Eagle - May 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I want to see Brown too, bu there has to be a reason the A's and Nats have yet to give him a MLB shot…Have to trust judgement of the decision makers who have actually seen him play. AAA stats can be deceiving, see R. Bernadina…

20. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Corey Brown has been out for two games now, no injury. I'm thinking, if they were bringing him up, they'd just do that. I wonder if there's a trade in the works?

21. Swift Eagle - May 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Good point Soul. Or maybe they are waiting to see if Tracey can avoid a DL stint and don't want CB to get hurt?? Just a guess

22. djinFl. - May 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

@SonnyHeck with dry powderJust don't let the power go out during a game.

23. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

If it's Tracy's injury they're waiting on, there would be no reason to hold Brown out.

24. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Amanda and Kilgore tweet that Tracy thinks it's a new injury, not related to the scar tissue. Bad sign for the top man of the Goon Squad.

25. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

So, to recap: Mets won, Marlins and Phils lost.Mets are 2 games back, Braves and Marlins 3, Phils slip back to 4.5 out, in Last Place. Waaaaaaaa-Waughhhhhhhhh…

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I know many do not conisder the two game sweep of the Marlins a sweep since game three was rained out. But they won each game of the series that were played so why would that not be a sweep. BTW: Got my tickets today behind home for the doubleheader make up. Section 126.Get them Gio.Also believe JZim is in Florida.

27. natsfan1a - May 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Been out all day so catching up with posts. Safe travels to Mark. Thanks to Michele for the Gio story link earlier. Thanks to sec3 for the NL East games update. That should about cover it.As for tonight: Go, GIO!! Go, NATS!! Hope I can stay awake for the whole thing (riiiiight).

28. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM

29. Drew - May 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM

They must be holding Brown out so that he'll be healthy for a call-up in case Tracy needs to go on the DL.I know they pull guys when a trade is brewing, but I'd be surprised if one's going down now, do far ahead of the break.I doubt they'd be sending Moore down until Morse.retuns. The other, more remote possibility is that Bernie's on his way out. Davey noticeably hedged about Roger's role the other day.My gut says the Brown Identity intrigue is tied toTracy's prognosis. Hope we get to see What Brown Can Do For Us.

30. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I know many do not conisder the two game sweep of the Marlins a sweep since game three was rained out. But they won each game of the series that were played so why would that not be a sweep.Because the game was not cancelled, they just haven't played it yet. It is still game 3 of that series on the schedule, they just haven't played it yet. You can't say you won a series if you have won the first two, and haven't played the third game yet.

31. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Question: What would you give for Denard Span now? He looks pretty good, concussion or no.The Twins have to be sellers, pretty soon.

32. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Drew, I dunno. If the Twins are selling, I'll take a Denard Span, and maybe even Capps–if we really need a "veteran reliever." They can have Corey Brown and–what else?

33. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM

@Drew, that may be, but they are said to be shopping Lannan for a reliever, so maybe they have something else going, too, maybe for a new Big Hairy-Chested Guy, along with a reliever.

34. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Or a backup catcher…

35. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM

NatsLady, I wish him all the best, but speaking strictly for me, the concussion thing scares me off, at any (fair) price.

36. TimDz - May 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM

At this point, I doubt they could get petite ball girl for Lannen, let alone a big hairy chested guy…

37. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Can't imagine the Twins would want Lannan, but maybe so. He's only 27 (you forget that sometimes), a lefty with not a hopeless record, and if we ate salary?

38. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM

TimDZ–every time I'm tempted to think that, I remember GasCanrahan.

39. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM

40. TimDz - May 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa said… Corey Brown and Henry Rodriguez to the As for Manny. What do you think?Me neither. Just passing time. ____________________________After THAT comment…I think you would be passing a joint…

41. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM

The other thing about Span is, he becomes your starting center fielder, and that's nice until Werth gets back, but then what? Corey Brown you can tell "wait your turn" and get away with it.

42. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

on the left, Tim…

43. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Fantasy GM is way better with more colorful fantasies, I think.

44. UnkyD - May 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Drew:I doubt they'd be sending Moore down until Morse.retuns. The other, more remote possibility is that Bernie's on his way out. Davey noticeably hedged about Roger's role the other day…………………….That's what I was thinking… Nothing against Bernie-except that he's had plenty of chances (I know…short chances…), and never made it happen. Let's get a look at CB…

45. Swift Eagle - May 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM

If Morse comes back 100%, there's just not a need in the OF. Wonder if they'd look to stretch out Stammen and/or Gorzi to see if they can start later in the year…that would explain the desire for bullpen arms

46. NCNatsie - May 27, 2012 at 10:14 PM

47. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

For you non-Twitterites:Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWPMichael Morse will play one more game in extended spring training than originally planned, likely will hit Potomac on Tuesday now.The White Sox in their series against the Indians scored 35 runs. The Padres vs. the Mets… yeah.

48. Swift Eagle - May 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Man, it's almost June, exactly when does Extended Spring Training end? Labor Day?

49. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Re: Denard Span. I'm not counting my Morses until they are actually at bat… Outfield of Harper/Span/Werth doesn't look too bad to me…

50. baseballswami - May 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM

So – double no hitter goes in to the _____ inning tonight? Or another slugfest? I know there are weather issues brewing on the east coast of Florida but I don't know if the Miami airport will be affected. Games are just games – ultimately we want them all to arrive safely. This will be a quick turn around as it is without travel headaches. I guess I am feeling philosophical today, but I love the game and I have gotten a bit intense about winning and losing lately — hoping for a good game and that NO ONE ends up on the DL. Go Nats!

51. baseballswami - May 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Just read the new post from Nats Lady – was kind of planning on going to the baby nats tomorrow night but will put it off until Tuesday now. Is AK keeping that situation up to date on twitter?

52. Swift Eagle - May 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM

NatsLady, I hear you, but I have more faith in Morse being healthy long term than Span…Of course they could always get Span and move Morse back to Shortstop…

53. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Gardenhire said the Twins are not going to make a trade to keep Komatsu. (Twins cut him to make roster space for a pitcher.) You have to feel that if the worst team in baseball wouldn't keep him on their 25-man, we have a good shot that he clears waivers and we get him back.

54. NatsJack in Florida - May 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Derek…..it officially ends next Saturday.

55. UnkyD - May 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I still like the idea of Lombo and Brown leading off 4-5 days a week, after Werth comes back, as b/u- breather guys, if Corey can prove effective in the meantime… And I'll prolly mention it a couple more times… to make sure Davey doesn't miss it, over coffee in Miami, tomorrow morning…;-)

56. UnkyD - May 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

BTW… I might be at the Park next Sunday… Fingers crossed…

57. Joe Seamhead - May 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Hot player in AAA. ML club loses back up OF after already losing two OF starters. Said hot player suddenly sits out two games with AAA club. It really sounds like a trade is very possible, if not very probable. I only see the Twins letting go of Denard Span if they got a peepot full of good prospects in return, including a couple of pitchers. That trade wouldn't make a lot of sense to me, as Morse, Werth and Harper leave little room for another bonifide starter in the OF.No, my guess would be somebody has a relief guy that Rizzo wants. Maybe Drew Storen isn't as close to coming back as has been reported?

58. MicheleS - May 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM

It's official, the Niece has declared that Bryce is cute! Her eyes lit up when I said he was 19. I am now doomed to the incessent yammering of a teenage girl. I think I will go have a drink now.

59. MicheleS - May 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

GO GIO!!!! GYFNG!!! STOMP on the tomahawk chop!!!!

60. MicheleS - May 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Breaking KILGORE TWEETAdam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPAs Chad Tracy awaits word on his groin, Corey Brown will travel to Miami with the Nats in case Tracy lands on the DL

61. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Seamhead, could be. But maybe Morse isn't as close to coming back as has been reported. Drew is throwing. Has anyone seen Morse throwing? Florida peeps?

62. Swift Eagle - May 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

All over it as usual MicheleS! Thanks. I hope the expectations are realistic, he's only had 3 MLB at-bats…he's not a savior

63. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

MicheleS, thanks. Guess that (temporarily) answers that question!

64. Faraz Shaikh - May 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

about Span, his OBP is good but not his speed. My ideal CF has to have a good OBP and speed, don't care about pop so much. Not sure Span fits the bill.

65. Free Corey Brown - May 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM

South Beach here I come………..

66. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM

This note from Kilgore. Hope Bernie didn't catch that Braves flu, and if he did–Don't spread it around the Nats clubhouse!Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWPOne small note for tonight: Roger Bernadina has been feeling under the weather, could possibly affect availability off the bench.

67. NatsLady - May 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Detwiler just got points from me for this (from Amanda's article):“I’d rather be starting,” he said, only 10 of his 48 career appearances coming out of the bullpen. “But we've got a guy that's year-in, year-out is just winning games. I wasn't getting the job done at the time so, it's still a chance to put on a big league uniform everyday.“The way I look at it, I'm going from the best starting rotation in the big leagues to the best bullpen.”

68. MicheleS - May 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM

And here is the link to Amanda's full article. Good On Ya Det for that. Now go through the Craig Stammen Build your Booty program.Det's Reaction

69. Gonat - May 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

MLB Network did a 1st month of Bryce Harper segment. Very cool to watch.

70. MicheleS - May 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Also, On BBTN, the did a good piece about Player safety in Venezuela. I am sure it will be on the web site soon.

71. RickH - May 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Love Detwiler's attitude (I mean, Natitude!).

72. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Charlie Manual quoted "I'm concerned. I'm worried".Yah, he has a lot to be concerned and worried about.

73. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Off topic:With Lee looking human and Halliday getting rocked today, what are the chances that Hamels walks this year?This is presuming that he doesn't get traded.

74. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I am sorry, but those empty seats are bad.. It's a holiday weekend!! Come On Atlanta…

75. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Only Tito would call ALR a kid

76. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM

NCNatsie said …Soul P., so what you're saying (at 5:55) is that if the game is made up, say, as part of a double header in an later series, you can lose it and still sweep THAT series?Yes, it's not a part of that series, even if it is part of that doubleheader. People think time is linear, but it's really a big ball of wibley-wobbley timey-wimey stuff.

77. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Good, 23 pitches on Beachy's arm so far.

78. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Agreed, Gonat. I wish they had plated the run, but I'm glad that they used up 23 of this excellent pitcher's 100 or so.C'mon Gio, you CAN'T walk Michael freaking Bourne!

79. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Gio seems more comfortable throwing that curve ball to righties.Freddi playing smart ball or is that small ball?

80. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Mark, too bad you're missing this one. Good start.As tough as Beachy is against LH, well, not that inning. Lombardozzi bounced to second, and the Braves pitched carefully around Harper–I think they really don't want this kid being the one to beat them–and walked him. Zim struck out, but LaRoche lined a ball hard over Hinske, BamBam to third, and The Burnt Child, Jason Hayward, hustled the throw in to the cutoff man, but to Hinske, the first baseman, on the line to the plate, to hold Harper at third. That allowed LaRoche to get a gratuitious headfirst slide into second with a double. The ESPN booth correctly noted that was the second base Harper got the Nats, most definitely getting the Braves attention.

81. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM

small ball.

82. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Hey Fredi: You play for one run, all you get is one run. You really think that's going to hold up?

83. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Leadoff walks almost always come back to haunt you. smh

84. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Bourne walks, steals second (on the pitcher and his own speed), bunted to third by Pasternicky, and scored on Prado's roller to Desmond.1-0

85. phil dunton - May 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Just remember, the Nats always embarass themselves when they play on national TV.

86. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Boy…. We sure are throwing a lot of pitches, these days?!

87. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Gee, Phil, thanks for that. Whose side are you on again?

88. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM

OK, Gio, settle down now.

89. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Bourn, of course, my bad.For God's sake, if you walk Bourn it's an automatic double.C'mon Gio! Throw freaking strikes! He's already at. 28 pitches, which means he'll scramble to go 5.Lousy inning. Nice catch, Kid.

90. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM

That could have been a lot worse. Harper tracks down Matt Diaz's fly into the R-C gap to end the inning, but Gio threw a lot of pitches (near 30, I think). Two walks, a run, and an RBI ground ball.1-0 ATL after 1.

91. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Are you kidding me Danny? 1st pitch swinging? Have you been watching?

92. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I don't like these camera angles. Show the PLAY please!! Nice camera work for the Miami game, should have that here.

93. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Both pitchers settled down in the second, nothing either way. Going to 3.

94. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM

OUCH…

95. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Note to JFLO.. block the plate.. Do not piss the ump off.

96. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM

OUCH…Enuf said…

97. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Ouch. Kerwin Danley just got his bell RUNG by a 58' curveball that missed J.C. Boscan, but did not miss Blue. He was on the ground for a couple of minutes. He's back up now. But omg.

98. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Soul — whoever we're playing that day.

99. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Soul — whoever we're playing that day.Eddie, I assume that was in response to my question to Phil at 8:31?

100. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Espi with another ill advised throw. Espi has done that stupidity before. What is he thinking?

101. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Do you think pitchout on a squeeze?

102. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Harper seems to be having an effect on lots of people. Bourne just tripled (standing) with one out into right-center, and I know he's fast, but he really looked to be on a mission there.

103. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Jeezy-peezy, ESPN sucks! They have a pic of Doc Halladay up while Gio's throwing a pitch. My wife thought I'd changed the channel.Nice rip, Kid! Zim, you didn't get robbed on that third strike. It was a good pitch. You made it look like a great pitch.Oh great, a triple by Bourne.

104. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM

How come I say it, then Tito, and Davey doesn't think it?COME ON DAVEY

105. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Small minds play small ball.

106. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

And Pasternicky bunts him along again, this time for the suicide squeeze RBI.2-0 Braves, 2 outs, baja 3.

107. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Soul — yup.Why do the Nats seem to be the only MLB team whose regular non-sluggers CAN'T BUNT???

108. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Steady Eddie, not as much as they can't bunt but Davey doesn't like them bunting.

109. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Gonat, the pitchout was exactly what the Nats should have done. Bourne would have been dead meat.

110. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

(running mind through the line-up). Espi can bunt. Yeah, that's about it.

111. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Is it bad that I am focused more on the fact that we took the series and less on the sweep?

112. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM

OK, ALR walk. Time to make Beachy pay… C'mon boys.

113. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Too cute!!! Thank you, goofy Braves defense–again.

114. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Gonat, but when they do try to bunt they're terrible at it.Gotta take advantage of THAT miscue.I would hope Espi doesn't try to bunt.

115. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Base hit please!!!!

116. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Beachy didn't look at his scouting report on Espi. Thank you very much.

117. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM

At least we know Ankiel is unlikely to hit into a DP. Either a K or something to the OF.

118. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM

But he did read his scouting report on Ankiel. Go up and out of the strike zone.HORRIBLE

119. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Corey Brown could've done as much. Nuts!

120. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM

K — SO predictable.Jesus, we need you!!!

121. Exposremains - May 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM

a text book Ankiel K

122. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM

JFLO!!!! YES! Base hit.. that's what I wanted!!!

123. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM

JFlo (who must be exhausted). Good job!

124. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Zeus!

125. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Well, how do you like that??!!! Gio with a sac fly! His first RBI! Tie game.

126. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM

They didn't read the scouting report on Gio. Guy has some muscle.GYFNG!

127. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM

As FP says, keep the line moving! Yay Gio!

128. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM

These ESPN clowns sound so incredulous that Gio tied it up. Idiots.

129. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I think Beachy ends up with 2 unearned there

130. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Better lucky than good, I guess. LaRoche gets a leadoff walk. Desmond hits a chopper that Beachy just tips, and Pasternicky maybe got a little too cute, flipping it behind his back from in front of second base to Dan Uggla, who couldn't handle it with LaRoche just coming in. Espinosa walked to load the bases with no outs.Ankiel missed on all three six-run-home-run swings, striking out on a high fastball. But Flores singled LaRoche in, still loaded for Gio. And what do you think? On the first pitch, Gio just misses it, getting a sac fly plenty deep enough to tie the game. He just missed that, too.Lombardozzi lined out softly. Tied up at 2, middle 3.

131. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Well, that's okay, it's like back to square one. And I like our guy better than theirs.GYFNG!

132. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Just yelled "Hell Ya" so loud that I got a gentle tap from the townhouse next door…

133. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

OK, we got Beachy at 81 pitches after 4 and Gio shows the position players how it's done! We're back to even!

134. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM

TimDz, I hope there is reason for them to keep tapping tonight. Maybe even to call the police.

135. Mr. Doggett - May 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I could have sworn Buster Olney just called him Steve McNatty. Was that a Freudian slip?

136. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Storms. Please don't let my power go out. This game is too exciting!

137. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Good at bat, Gio!Beachy's up to 81 pitches and we're back in the ballgame. Now shut 'em down, Gio!

138. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM

1-2-3 for Gio, and back into the dugout.2-2 after 4.

139. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Jane … they're Philly fans to boot…Who's gonna throw my bail if the po po gets called?

140. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Drew, I think you owe me a Coke. I think Harp is creeping up on this guy and is going to go deep to lead off the 5th. At least XBH.

141. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM

GIO…… SHUTDOWN!!!!

142. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Oh well. Not deep enough.

143. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Dogget …only if he said McNutty…

144. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Good shot of Harp in the dugout. Pissed that he didn't pull his hands in more toget more meat on that one.

145. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Beachy right at 100 pitches.

146. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM

When did Desi start taking strikes?Charlie&Dave notes: ex-Nat Hairston went 5-5 for the first time in his career, and Melky Cabrera is leading MLB in hits.

147. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Beachy's at 100 pitches. He'll exit in the sixth. Hold down the fort, Gio.

148. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

How awful is Ankiel in high leverage spots. Beachy sets him up with the low then high and Ankiel gets set down once again.When is Ankiel going to change his approach? Can't he see the ball is up at his eyeballs? These aren't at the top of the K Zone.

149. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Beachy is at 100 pitches after 5. If Gio shuts them down in the fifth I suspect they'll bring him out again to see if he can get a quick 6th, otherwise they pull him after the first base runner.This is great — clearly McCatty told Gio "just throw strikes!"

150. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Are we watching a baseball game or getting the NBA Highlight show?

151. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Gio with an unbelievable play. WOW

152. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Beachy batting for himself? Thank you Freddi, I hope this bites you in the butt!

153. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM

This is our chance to get at a tired Beachy.

154. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I love Gio more every day. Sheesh.

155. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Really nice play by Gio in the fifth, getting off the mound for a pretty good bunt up the third base line by the catcher Boscan. Helps to be a lefty there, but it helped more to have the catcher running. Beachy strikes out for himself to end the fifth.Still 2-2.

156. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM

MicheleS, I have Charlie and Dave and a little lag…

157. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

LIVO warming up!@

158. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Said he needs 22 pitches in the BP and 8 on the mound to warm-up. We shall see. Espi HBP.

159. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Yep, it bit Freddi. Thanks!!!!

160. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Beachy hits Espinosa, and here comes LIVO!!

161. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

NatsLady.. you are lucky, We just had to listen to the Celtics highlights.

162. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

And I love that the ESPN guys are loving up Livan. But I am afraid I want his ERAbto grow a little tonight, not at ton. But just enough. Sorry Livo.

163. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Seemed like Danny was about to charge the mound and take out all his LH frustrations out on Beachy.

164. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Livo with the anti-Coffey jog in from the bullpen. Really makes you wonder what Fredi was thinking not to PH for Beachy.

165. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM

MicheleS, you don't have a radio?

166. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Enter Livo.It's not personal, old friend.GYFNG!!!

167. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Nats Lady…Not a good one. and with the rain, the reception would be crappy.The reason he didn't bunt for beachy.. Thin bench. McCann and Freeman can't play yet.

168. joe9 - May 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM

169. Fear and Ignorance - May 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Anybody who roots for Livo (A.K.A. The Drug Lord) tonight should be banned from Nationals Park forever.

170. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM

NatsLady, I imagine Beachy asked to stay in, and he's earned that, but Fredi probably told him he was coming out if anybody got on. And why burn a pinch hitter from a short bench, half of which seems to have the flu.

171. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Danny has to steal on Livo as he is so slow to the plate.

172. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Charlie said Livo could have pinch hit. Wouldn't that have been something?

173. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM

F&I, and I say this with love: bite me.

174. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Not on 3-0 Danny….

175. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Fear and ignorance, you really earned your name tonight.

176. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

WOW Ank walked.F&I.. that may be your opinion and Livo is no angel (I doubt any of them are). But some on this board love what Livo did for the franchise.

177. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Gio is having a great time in the on-deck circle…!

178. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Flores needs to put a charge in one here!!!!

179. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Chris Berman has made two or three Montreal references tonight. It's as if he was cryogenically frozen in 2004 and was thawed in time to sit next to Larkin and spout nonsense.I think it was way before 2004.

180. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Good job JFlo.

181. Fear and Ignorance - May 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM

He is still a drug lord!!! Get over it!!!

182. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Espi did a great job of distracting the shortstop. None of the ESPN guys mentioned that.

183. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Wish the roles could be reversed for just this one at bat and Livo could show Nats again how to bunt.

184. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Gotta say I called that one. Beachy Out after one base runner.Gio, just do the same sac fly.

185. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Okay, fear. Enough. Seriously. Enough.

186. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Faraz, that generally is a double play ball by JFlo if Espi wasn't screening the shortstop. Rewind it and look at it.

187. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Come on LOMBO!!!

188. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Lombo!!! And do I hear boos?

189. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

awesome lombo!

190. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

SWEET!!!! My LOMBO Chant worked!

191. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Baby baby! And now time for the Kid.

192. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

F&I, Posting that Livo is drug lord is libellous.There are no facts to back that statement up. What is known is that Livo carried this team on his back and busted knee back in the RFK days, and that he is an amazing ballplayer in all respects ( OK, maybe not baserunning, save for bunts.) So, I will root for Livo, except when he pitches against the Nats, and hope he is successful against the rest of the NL East.

193. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Hell, yeah!

194. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Lombo!And F&I, you can bite ALL of us.Convict Livo without a trial? Fear and ignorance indeed.

195. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I am sorry I just clapped.

196. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Livan walked Ankiel, and Flores singled up the middle for an RBI. With runners on first and third, Gio bunts, but it's the safety-safety, putting runners on second and third with one out for Lombo, who doubled in 2 more, to the corner in right. With one out and one on second, Harper gets his first look at the Bugs Bunny. Now he gets to sit down and think about that.

197. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

OK, Lici, you've had your moment. Zim's not falling for your garbage pitches.

198. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

One of those trademark Bugs Bunny curves Mark used to write about.

199. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Neighbor just knocked on my door after another hour "hell ya…"I gave him a beer…He just smiled …

200. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

FS.. Bryce just added Livo to his list.

201. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

NatsLady, that was a cascade of boooos or the booze talking for the otherwise gracious yet obnoxious (Tomahawk chop) crowd

202. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Poor Harp had no chance! That was his ugliest at bat since he's been up here.

203. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM

TimDz.. a diplomat and a gentleman… good call on the beer.

204. Fear and Ignorance - May 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Livo should stick to his day job!!! For you JaneB:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/12/records-reveal-hernandezs-drug-ring-ties/

205. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I would like to thank Heyward for this weekend.

206. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Zim, OTOH, lines it into right. Heyward bobbles it, but Lombardozzi was probably going to score anyway, with two outs. 6-2.

207. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Yay Tim. And thank you Ehay2k.GYFNG!

208. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Lici? Oy.Like I said Zim wasn't fooled.We BELONG in first place.

209. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Steady Eddie, Zimm did fall for it but came back. a little bit scary, that Zimm slide into 3rd base.

210. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

211. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I like the feet first slide by Zim

212. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Man, Heyward is having a terrible series. Tough ball to handle, to be sure. But his head is not in the game at all. Looks like he went to the Hanley Ramirez School of Urgent Fielding.

213. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Good tweet from Kilgore.Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPHarper needs another round of slow-pitch softball on the Mall before his rematch with Livo.

214. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Gonat, can't see the replay but will take your word for it. I am sure Danny does not sleep on basepaths.

215. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

That looked bad, but really, the turf just went out from under Heyward on LaRoche's single to right, allowing Zim to get to third.Nats up 6-2, middle 6.

216. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Nice to see the Nats turn it on for the national TV audience after the Sunday night egg 2 weeks ago vs Philthie

217. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I feel bad for Say Hey kid. But not too bad.

218. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Sorry, 3 weeks ago vs. Philthies

219. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

F&I, if you get your non-sports news "facts" from the Washington Times, you won't need any intoxicants, legal or not.

220. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Can I just say that I dig the Big Inning!!! Cool concept…. Why didn't somebody think of it several weeks ago?!

221. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Gio, that should have been your sequence in the 1st inning. Glad Flores learned by that mistake.

222. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM

F&I.. we have all read that, but we prefer to you know, believe in due process and believe in the concept that founded our judicial system – innocent until proven guilty.Honestly, even if he is proven guilty, honestly, I don't care. I really don't.

223. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Hey, folks, the Braves still have 11 outs. We need to step on them.Make it ten outs now!

224. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM

ANd Gio is now the MLB leader in Ks.

225. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Great inning by Gio!!!

226. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Gio Gonzalez, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Mike Rizzo..

227. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Struck out the side in the sixth. Getting to 90 pitches, I think he's got at least one more inning, eh?

228. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Michele, thanks for sharing @Kilgore FTW.

229. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM

GG is good and also he works pretty fast too.

230. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I don't know how quiet it is, but Jesus Flores has 3 hits.

231. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM

F&I: you're dead to me. This is the last response I'llake to anything you post… ByeBye.

232. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM

D**n. though Danny was going to light him up there.Doesn't matter, Braves are just going through the motions now.I predict a bunch of Braves batters trying to tie it up on one swing.

233. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Flores with a big night. Hope the Nats turn it on here and don't let up on the gas pedal. A Nats blow-out Win here would be nice.

234. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Guess I'm in the minority, but I like the ESPN announcers…but man, is it just my TV or is the volume on the commercials twice as loud as the game?! My ears hurt…

235. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Soul PFB.. Sometimes the beat reporters really let loose on twitter and they are just hilarious! Miss Mark at the game, he can get really funny/loopy. etc.NO INJURY TO JFLO!!!

236. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Oh NO!!!

237. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM

NONONONONONO not JFlo!!!!!!!

238. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Oh no, what did Flores do to himself?

239. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM

What the f? What happened?

240. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Whoa, Flores coming out, Maldonado pinch running.

241. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Oh, NO! Not Kid Flores too. I guess that means Bryce is the backup catcher.Did Rizzo keep Pudge's cell phone number?

242. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Can C.Brown catch??

243. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Hopefully, Flores just tired or overheated. EJax didn't have his cleats on yet so the world's slowest pinch runner is on (Maldonado). Doesn't matter, pop-up.

244. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM

They won't let Bryce anywhere near catcher…

245. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Lombardozzi is the backup catcher.

246. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM

How did Flores get hurt? He went to second standing up on the bunt.

247. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I missed it. What happened to JFlo? Why did he come out?

248. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM

What are we gonna do, put Harp atC? Call up David Freitas from Potomac?This is beyond unreal.

249. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM

And the opera singer who does God Bless America starts off out of tune and finishes great! Hope that's how it goes for Gio!!!!

250. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Lets all pray Jesus is just a bit gassed…He wasn't gonna catch tomorrow anyway…

251. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM

They didn't show anything on JFLO (i scrolled back on the DVR) at all. he didn't look like anyhting happened. I wonder if he is cramping up? Davey has been riding him hard.

252. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:31 AM

FS, no word yet…

253. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:31 AM

No, Harper will never catch. Lombo would catch and X-man would go to left. Davey will have to use EJax if he needs a pinch hitter because Bernie is sick.

254. Steve J, Alexandria - May 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Livo took the rookie to school and made him look quite the fool.What happened to Flores? ESPN is pretty cheap with the replays.

255. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Faraz, we all missed it. No one knows.And now they are coming to see if Gio is okay? Man alive.

256. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Eagle — I think we know that re Bryce. I was just frothing at the mouth a little there out of sheer disbelief.Lombo is an emergency catcher, right?

257. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Just wait until the next time that we get a lead against the Braves at home. I'm going to start the ugliest sarcastic tomahawk chop that you can imagine.

258. Steve J, Alexandria - May 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Livo too the rookie to School and made him look quite the fool.What happened to Flores? ESPN is pretty chincy with their replays — MASN coverage puts these guys to shame.

259. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Gio at 102 pitches, starting to tire. Stammen up.

260. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Gio may be tired, but he's mad, so there's that.

261. Steve J, Alexandria - May 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM

9 k's for Gio – he's got the major league lead, I believe. Shouldnt Hershiser and what's his name have pointed that out already?

262. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Hinske smart enough to lay off of the hard high stuff once but not twice 😉

263. Steve J, Alexandria - May 28, 2012 at 2:37 AM

10 k's for the Strikeout leader of the bigs.

264. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

holy smokes, how good is this guy?

265. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Gio has totally upstaged Beachy who many are saying is the best pitcher in the NL

266. Grandstander - May 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I just gave Gio a standing O in my living room.

267. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Maybe not that tired. Struck out Diaz and Hinske, and got Heyward 4-3.We're thru 7, 6-2 Nats.

268. Steve J, Alexandria - May 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

He's good allright.

269. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:39 AM

FS.. BTW.. Cute pic of the kids.. raise them right.. Nats Fans..

270. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Payback

271. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Phil dun ton, what was that comment about the Nats embarrassing themselves on national TV?A real Nats fan would know that is the ultimate stopper.

272. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

BRYCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

273. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

TATTOOO! WOW.. BOMB for BAM BAM!!!

274. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Kid got the better of Livo that time.

275. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Kid learns quick, doesn't he?

276. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

The Kid is a fast learner.

277. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Does Harp keep score or what?????

278. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Tracy removed Bryce's helmet

279. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM

"A majestic soaring fly ball" as called by Charlie Slowes.

280. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Round 1: Age & Treachery.Round 2: Youth & Skill. Harper just took Livan out to right, nodoubtaboutit. 7-2, Nats.And Tracy got the helmet for him.

281. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM

The Kids a quick study….. Bugs THIS old man!!! Too funny….

282. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=gonzagi01&t=p&year=2012#pitching_gamelogs::nonecheck his IP, BBs, Ks, and number of pitches.thanks JaneB. Hopefully JFlo will be back tomorrow. I was actually thinking that he hasn't had a break since first start against Friday's Os game.Harper graduated from Livo Academy!

283. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM

And even Stras smiled at that one!! Shocked

284. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Bryce!!!! Man. I love to see Washington beat up on Atlanta.Tonight I wanna party like it's 1864!

285. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM

wow, IOU cokes all around.

286. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Drew! Going all the way back to Gen Sherman's March!! Lol…

287. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Steve J, Alexandria said… Livo took the rookie to School and made him look quite the fool.May 27, 2012 10:33 PM ______________________________I would take a K any time if it meant that the next at-bat I would get a HR

288. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Drew, you win the thread for your 10:44.

289. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Vintage Livo with the glove!

290. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Davey is smiling at Gio, big smile. Guess he's OK with 7 innings.

291. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:49 AM

WTH, it's Memorial Day:Marching through GeorgiaThe 97th Regimental String Band

292. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:49 AM

293. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Craig "Staymen"? Great ESPN announcer.WTF do you think he is, a flower?

294. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 2:51 AM

My neighbor heard my yell at bam bamm's homer, knocked on my door and said uncle …I gave him another beer…he gave me a knuckle bump…

295. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:52 AM

hate Flores being hurt, but Maldo getting his shot after 17 seasons in the Minors! he must be on cloud 917 seasons?? He must be a lot older than he looks.

296. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Eddie.. Shulman is getting killed on Twitter for his Staymen pronunciation

297. RickH - May 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Davey calls him Stayman too.

298. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM

TimDZ.. tell him it's a holiday tomorrow, invite him in, convert him to a Nats fan. He can sleep in.

299. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM

300. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:54 AM

301. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Tim, maybe your neigjhbor will come over from the dark side soon. Keep yelling about the good stuff.How came no word on JFlo yet???

302. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Actually it is 17 years…first season was 1996

303. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM

JFLO updates.. this is when we need Kristina.

304. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Michele — and he richly deserves whatever abuse he gets. Simple elementary school phonetics makes it a short "a".Plus I can't believe every TV and radio announcer doesn't have phonetic pronunciations in their prep materials for every member of oth teams and coaches.Someone who does that in the face of everything to help them is either an idiot or ompletely lazy. My money's on lazy.

305. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM

MicheleS, can't say for sure about the one on right since he lives in Brewer territory and family is more of a soccer fan but hope that one on the left becomes a Nats fan and is able to play in Nats park someday.

306. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Whoops, wrong guy.Carlos Maldonado is 33, but yes, 17 years in the minors.Not his first MLB time, but not much.

307. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Of all the nights for this to be an ESPN game instead of MASN. How will we know what is going on with Jesus?

308. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Debbie Taylor would have info on Flores already – she was excellent at asking how people were feeling!

309. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 3:01 AM

What the heck is up with McCatty? Who hit him in the nose?

310. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:01 AM

WTF? Now McCatty has a bloody nose!

311. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Sheesh! Even McCatty is injure!

312. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Yes, 17 years in the minors for Maldonado. Signed with Seattle when he was sixteen, is 33 now.

313. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I though Debi was always telling people howmtheybfelt, as in , "how great did it feel to knock in those winning runs?" Seriously. Mark isn't there, how will we know?

314. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:04 AM

RickH, yes he does. I've heard him do it.

315. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Not his debut. 26 MLB games

316. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:05 AM

E2hay…. 11:00 gets my vote for post of the night…. Woke up the wife, laughing!!

317. peric - May 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Hmm Corey Brown was held out of a Chiefs game (without any injury) in Syracuse for the second day in a row?Is he going to be recalled or … is he headed off in a trade?

318. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Nothing at all on Twitter about JFlo. Hopefully FS at 10:43 was right and it's just giving him a rest after 3hits and a day game tomorrow.But I would expect Maldonado would have started that anyway.

319. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Oh, that Staymen, he's a pistil!

320. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM

peric, Brown is joining the team in Florida, presumably in case Tracy goes on the DL. But could be a trade.

321. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 3:09 AM

NatsLady, are you sure? I understand that's not allowed by the CBA unless he's actually called up.

322. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

How can it be illegal to fly to Miami? He's still getting paid

323. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

NatsLady how'd you hear that?

324. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Peric — some Tweets earlier about Brown heading down to Miami on the chance that Tracy may be headed to the DL.

325. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

326. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Dave Jaegler is funny. Says the 1st base ump wasn't even looking on that Uggla check swing.

327. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM

OK.

328. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Storm took out my radio, have to listen to the ESPN jerks.

329. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 3:13 AM

WHAT?

330. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Kilgore tweeted it. Brown not on the 40 man roster, I don't see how the CBA can prevent him from being in Miami. He can't be in the clubhouse or dugout though…

331. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Swift Eagle, I could well be wrong, I'm not sure, but I thought the CBA had rules about not keeping a minor leaguer just hanging around the MLB team, he has to be WITH the team whose roster he's on. It's not illegal, it's contrary to the labor agreement. If I'm right. Which I may not be.

332. RickH - May 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Sofa … Your 11:07 is in the running for post of the night too. Funny.

333. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Closet open, getting the broom out!

334. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!First Sweep of the Year!!!! Lets Go have some Fried Fish!!!!

335. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Sweeeeeeeep!Now JFlo news please.

336. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Nats win!

337. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM

It's a labor agreement, i.e., a contract. It can say whatever they agreed on.

338. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Nice time and team to sweep. Go Nats! Head down and beat the Fish!

339. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Memorial Day 2012: Nats are 29-18, still in soul possession of the NL East.In the immortal words of MicheleS:"WOOO-HOOO!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).

340. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Soul, I don't know the rule either. You may be 100% correct. Makes sense

341. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Sweep, on the road, against the Braves! Bait the hooks, the fish are next.

342. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Michele…make it official please…

343. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM

WooooHoooooo!!!!

344. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM

btw that WHAT was for brining in Burnett since I thought it was unnecessary when Stammen is doing the job. Besides to be honest, I would have used HRod in ninth because of low pressure situation and he hasn't pitched in four days.Anyways, we won. Swept Braves. To be fair, they were not at full strength. Then again, neither are we. Onto the Fish now!

345. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Hey Rick @ 11:16 — I get a piece of that action too!My WTF flower's gotta be worth at least 30%, right?

346. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Swift.. see 11:16 but worth repeating!!!WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! First Sweep of the Year!!!! Lets Go have some Fried Fish!!!!

347. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Haha, twice is nice!

348. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Sofa, if you look at the CBA (it's online) the relevant paragraphs are on pp. 61-62. Let me know what you think. MLB CBAhttp://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5679:2012-16-major-league-baseball-cba-released-to-public&catid=30:mlb-news&Itemid=42

349. peric - May 28, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Sofa, I thought so too on the CBA, and tried to make sense of the rule. But Kilgore tweeted he was joining the team. So, I'm not sure.I missed that tweet Natslady … thank you. Have to assume a move has already been made (per the CBA) sofa. Which just don't know who was moved? Now the deal with Flores complicates things … especially with Solano just coming off the DL and Sandy Leon still weeks away. I hope folks ask some pointed questions of Davey and Rizzo.

350. RickH - May 28, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Eddie … You get 30% for being first to mention it.

351. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 3:26 AM

352. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:29 AM

TimDz said… One game…two monkeys off our backs…A legit sweep…A win on National TV..Cost me two beers…at the price of some "HELL YA'S"Soooooo worth it… May 27, 2012 11:26 PM __________________________Yes, and the Nats are missing more starters than the Braves + no Storen!

353. Grandstander - May 28, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Is there any indication Brown will be used more than Moore? Why would Davey start him over Ankiel? You now would have 4 guys who could play CF and all of them are lefties.

354. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM

355. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 3:33 AM

NatsLady said… 1/2 game ahead of the O's; 1/2 game behind the Rangers; Oh, right…Anyway, nothing shabby about being in first place in the NL East 11 games over .500 on Memorial Day.____________________HELL NO!!!!(once more for my neighbor…)

356. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM

coolstandings ‏@coolstandingsWAS 7, ATL 2. #Nationals playoff chances now 70.4%.

357. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM

NatsLady, how bizarre that the Mets are in 2nd and the Braves are in 4th?

358. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Flores with a mild strain of the hamstring

359. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Nothing on Twitter. Kilgore wrote this in his gamer:Sunday night may have brought yet another health challenge. Jesus Flores went 3 for 4 with two RBI, but he left in the seventh inning with an apparent injury to his midsection. Carlos Maldonado finished the game as the Nationals catcher following Flores’s undisclosed injury.

360. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Gonat, where did you see/hear it?

361. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 3:40 AM

don't like that Beachy gets away with one earned run. His two walks clearly had a role to play in tying that game.

362. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 3:41 AM

363. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:42 AM

NatsLady, that was in Davey's Press Conference. That's all he said. I'm sure Kilgore and Amanda will have more.

364. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

365. peric - May 28, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Gonat, thanks. My radio is out, so I will have to wait until MASN puts up the video to hear Davey. Maybe it's only a few days, but they will have to get another catcher.Solano is on his way to Florida … mebbe on the same flight with Corey Brown from Syracuse?

366. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM

To give you exact confirmation of what I wrote earlier:Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP Davey says Flores has a mild hamstring strain. Flores says "minor tightness." Both say not a DL situation. Sigh of relief at first blush.

367. peric - May 28, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Pretty sad that there is NOWHERE to find out about what happened to Flores…Imagine that in NY or Bos, or better yet the Redskins, there would be about a zillion reports if the backup punter stubbed a toe …Rizzo (like Shanahan) likes to keep things pretty close to the vest. No one even knew that Jhonatan Solano had a back problem until a couple of days ago! Doug Harris takes Rizzo's desire to keep things close to the vest very seriously.

368. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM

369. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:55 AM

NatsLady said… Gonat, thanks. My radio is out, so I will have to wait until MASN puts up the video to hear Davey. Maybe it's only a few days, but they will have to get another catcher. May 27, 2012 11:46 PM _____________________________You are welcome. I don't think there will be any MASN video as I don't think they were there. Probably covering the 1st Place Orioles (insert anger). I had a friend text me immediately from Davey's Press Conference but maybe it was a side conversation. Not sure why it took Kilgore and Amanda so long to Tweet it out.

370. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:55 AM

This is a nightmare at C.How many MLB teams have not one but two top notch young #1 catchers and have them both injured, and the first back up called up too?By the way, has anyone seen anything about Sandy Leon's condition? Haven't read anything since the "maybe four weeks?" right after he was hurt, then radio silence.

371. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Here is Amanda's tweet on Corey Brown.Amanda Comak ‏@acomakSeems DL move for Chad Tracy imminent. #nats plan to have Corey Brown in Miami in case. If Tracy isnt greatly improved tom. seems inevitable

372. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 4:03 AM

NatsLady, I got my text exactly 11 minutes before Kilgore's Tweet. Strange, huh?

373. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Grandstander @ 11:30 –No comparison between Moore's role here and Brown.Moore is a first baseman without a position, who was brought up to replace DeRosa but with the smallest experience even in MiLB in the OF. no fault of Moore's — it's that he didn't really bring what the opening was.Brown has been an OF, and especially a CF, his whole MiLB career. And he'd be replacing a continuing liability at CF.

374. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Flores of course wasn scheduled to pitch tomorrow, though I know you meant catch.He walked off pretty good, so I thought it was precaution. But loved when harper laughed when he saw McCatty with noth nostrels plugged.

375. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Gio Gonzalez has more RBI's than Nyjer Morgan (none in 112 at-bats, by far the worst of any major-leaguer).

376. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM

What I find so exciting about this team is all of the young talent throughout the organization — and we're about to get another infusion from June 4-6.Anyone who thinks the Nats won't help themselves now that they're picking 16th isn't familiar with the story line. The Nats have shown a remarkable ability to spot, sign and develop ballplayears that others miss:2006 — Brad Peacock, 41st round, pick 1,2312008 — Tom Milone, 10th round, pick 301 Tyler Moore, 16th round, pick 481 Steve Lombardozzi, 19th round, pick 5712009 — Danny Rosenbaum, 22nd round, pick 652The other day Kilgore mentioned that the Nats are excited about Hagerstown outfielder Billy Burns, a speedster drafted out of Mercer in Atlanta. The Nats got Burns in the 32nd round, with pick 967 of the 2011 draft.In 41 games at Hagerstown Burns has 26 walks, 19 steals, a .300 batting average and an on base percentage of .427.So this team, already a joy to its fans, has some enviable problems:– If the Nats keep LaRoche and Morse for 2013 and Espinosa and Desmond remain powerful middle infielders, where will Lombo get his at bats? Will he become the Nats' Zobrist?– If and when Rendon is healthy and ascends through the minors, how will the Nats get his lightning bat in the lineup? This probably gets clearer after 2013, when LaRoche or Morse is gone.– If LaRoche stays next year and the outfield is Morse, Harper, Werth, what becomes of Downtown Corey Brown? Maybe he's the new, improved Rick Ankiel.– With Zim, Rendon and Lombo in the house and Marrero often injured, does Matt Skole become the first baseman in waiting — or is that Ryan?The belabored point here is that another draft is upon us. The Nats' system — and the plot — are about to get even richer.

377. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM

A look back from AJC SPortsNothing on the Miami pages yet…

378. carolync - May 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

NatsTalk Live guy reported that Davey said Flores had mild hamstring strain. Maldonado would play tomorrow but he expects Flores to be ready for the game on Tuesday. Hope that's right and hamstring didn't tighten up overnight.

379. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I sure will be glad when Mr. Zuckerman gets back on track. I've been wearing a curly W hat for over 7 years now, mostly ignored by others until recently. Now everywhere I go people want to talk Nats baseball with me. Winning does that. We are slowly gaining momentum in the respect of the public paying attention. In addition to the FOF RZimm, the likes of SS,Gio, and of course the Kid, are becoming the talk of the town. Even outside of area people are beginning to notice us even if they're not yet taking us seriously. Starting last fall I wasn't concedeing that we were "still a year or two away." in 2012. Question DJ's decisions all you want, it's a gawd given American right to second guess your baseball manager, but the day Davey took over I knew that the Nationals were going to be in contention this year. Has he made mistakes? Yeah, him and every other MLB manager has, but he has instilled a "We Win Now!" mentality throughout the entire organization. Combine that with the job that Mike Rizzo has done and we are a huge perfect storm forming. Call it Tropical Storm Nat until the playoffs, then it will gather momentum and become Hurricane Nat.Just another Joe Seamhead editorial

380. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Oh and the STAY Min/STAM min controversy has been confirmed that Shulman was using the pronunciation he heard from Davey.

381. natsfan1a - May 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Haven't read the comments yet, but did watch the whole game. Well, most of it. I may have nodded off a time or two in the late innings. Anyway, some random synapse firing follows.So glad that I'm not a Sox or Yankees fan because then I'd have to watch that ESPN booth about every week. Yech. All of those promos and breakaways for in-game updates on other teams. Plus the inane commentary on the actual, you know, game that is taking place. When they were actually paying attention to the game. Which didn't seem to be all that often. Well, they *were* pretty attentive when the HP ump had his chimes rung. Even did a replay on that one. And analyzed the play. Great work, ESPN! Not. At least the Nats broke the losing-on-national- tv curse. Wait. Does that mean that they'll be on national tv even more? Yech. My husband went to bed as Livo was about to enter the game. Said he didn't know how to act: Yay, Livo! Wait, he's pitching against us. Boo! No, wait. I like Livo. Eh, I'm going to bed. Talk amongst yourselves. Hope Flores is okay. Saw that he's "day-to-day" with a mild hammy strain? I said some bad words when it happened. Of course, I didn't actually *see* it happen. Because the cameras were on the ESPN crew, who was discussing something other than, you know, the actual game. Possibly it was baseball-related, though. Yech.Nice to get the sweep, in addition to the series. So far, so good on the dreaded NL/AL East phase. (5-1 on the road, right?) Will be interested to see how the New Nats play the Marlins, who seem to have always owned them. I'll be glued to the tv. Well, not literally glued, but sitting in front of it. I may even stay awake for the whole game. But no promises.Go, Z'nn!! Go, NATS!!

382. D'Gourds - May 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Drew,Great post. I think a lot of the questions you pose depend on how well Morse performs when he gets back. He was phenomenal as an everyday player for the first time last year. Can he do it again? If so, I think his best position on the team is first base as he is a natural infielder and not so great in Left Field. If Rendon ascends through the system quickly, he'll probably play 2b until Zim decides he no longer wants to play 3rd. As per Espinosa and Lombardosi–my patience with Danny is getting thin. I know Davey sees great potential in him and he plays the game right with excellent defense and hustling, but he just has HUGE holes in his swing and he doesn't seem to be able to make adjustments. Lombardosi, on the other hand, has made excellent adjustments and has really come through with some clutch hits. As someone close to Lombardosi has said (I can't reveal whom), Steve can hit a pitcher's pitch with two strikes. Danny only gets a hit if a pitcher makes a mistake. I thought that summed it up pretty well. Also, Lombardosi does project to develop some power, so it wouldn't be a complete loss of power if he took over 2b. Another option is to platoon them. Danny is just awful from the Left. Wht not use Lombo against righties and Espi against Lefties? Such optimism here in Natopia. We're very lucky. Let's enjoy the ride for the next decade!

383. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM

At the end of the 2011 regular season Joe Seamhead said:As far as next year for us? I'm so high on the Rizzo-Johnson Kool-ade that I have to keep my expectations under control, but honestly? I think that the Washington Nationals are going to win the NL East next year.September 29, 2011 9:53 AM ————————————————————–My thoughts haven't changed one bit. 5/28/2012

384. baseballswami - May 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Completely missed everything last night but slowly catching up on the dvr and here, of course – lots and lots of stuff to read, but it's helping me find the spots I want on the recording! Gio just seemed to have flipped a switch after the first inning. You guys must have been seriously worried after he threw so many pitches. He is a smart fielder and hitter, too with the sac fly and bunt. Thanks a million times Mr. Rizzo. Harper makes quick adjustments, doesn't he? I don't think you can fool him with the same thing twice. Nice to see the boys taking pitches, hitting with 2 strikes and 2 outs. Praying about Flo, though – catcher jinx for sure. Again with Rizzo – the depth in this organization is just crazy and that's what is keeping things going. One goes down – another steps in. Would love to see it stop now. If anyone hears news of Morse at Potomac, please post – I'll go and post from the game if he plays tomorrow night. At this point they may send him straight to Miami.Go JZINN – hope the run support keeps up.

385. natsfan1a - May 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I noticed that, too. OTOH, I like FP but he persists in pronouncing Adam's name as "LaRoach."Steady Eddie said… Michele — and he richly deserves whatever abuse he gets. Simple elementary school phonetics makes it a short "a". Plus I can't believe every TV and radio announcer doesn't have phonetic pronunciations in their prep materials for every member of oth teams and coaches. Someone who does that in the face of everything to help them is either an idiot or ompletely lazy. My money's on lazy. May 27, 2012 10:57 PM

386. natsfan1a - May 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM

IOW, it's not only the ESPN guys (yech) who do that. See also, Don Sutton/Brian "Snyder." Sometimes I think these guys may be a tad bit stubborn. :-)

387. D'Gourds - May 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

natsfan1a–don't get me wrong, I love the job Carp and FP do on MASN, but I enjoyed getting a different perspective from Tito and Orel last night. Those two guys are simply the best color analyst in baseball in my opinion. They were great players and great coaches and nobody out there knows the game better. Period. Now they may not know the Nats as well as we do–we watch every game! But they do know baseball. I loved how Tito analyzed Harper's swing. it was priceless. And Orel, an ex-pitching coach by the way, did a great job analyzing Gio. It's just nice to get an impartial, different perspective once in a while. Although we are lucky to have Carp and FP–they really do an excellent job and know their stuff for the most part.

388. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

BTW,regarding Corey Brown, if he officially gets called up, I don't expect him to be any kind of a second coming, but I do sincerely feel that he will be,if given a chance to play, an improvement for an already very good team.

389. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

tough matchups are coming up against Marlins for us. Zambrano (2 hits last time), Sanchez (who historically owns us), and JJ (who seems to be regaining form). Then again our offense has been hot lately.Today's lineup will most likely have Ank and Harper in CF and RF resp. Hoping to see Brown start in LF.ESPN guys were OK. Mainly what I don't like is them talking about other non-baseball stuff and some of their facts that needs checking. They are clearly new at covering non-Yanks/non-Bos teams so I get that.highlight of the night was Harper vs Livo.

390. natsfan1a - May 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I think it's all subjective and that we'll have to agree to disagree on the ESPN broadcast, D'Gourds. I strongly dislike in-game break-ins that supplant video of the action, whether it's a sideline reporter or an ESPN booth resident. I don't disagree that those guys know the game, but much of the time, they aren't even talking about the game. I repeat, yech. On a related note, no disrespect to him but, while Tito certainly knows the game, I'm not sure that even he would agree with you on the "great player" part of the equation. 😉 On the broadcast front, there are plenty of color commentators who have been at it much longer than he has and have the "chops," as it were (imho). As for Harper, they seemed quite surprised that he didn't act like a jerk, which seems to be the national media party line. Whatever, dudes. To each his own, but these guys are definitely not my cup of tea. (Did I already say "yech"? :-))In other news, some morning reading from a Braves blog. This caption from a related photo seems to sum things up nicely: "Kerwin Danley, tonight's home plate umpire, took a fastball from Brandon Beachy to his nether-regions. The Braves can commiserate with the feeling."

391. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Mark, Congrats on the Northwestern lacrosse championship. The girls looked great! Maryland goes for the Men's championship today.

392. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Nats are now 11 games above .500 and 37 total days in 1st place. It's all great but still not even close to Nats records set in 2005.Nats were 19 games above .500 on July 5th and held 1st place for 53 days in 2005.This is 2 totally different teams except for RZim. The 2005 team lacked depth. This Nats team has filled in holes well.

393. Mark Zuckerman - May 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Thanks, Steve M. I may be rubbing it in a bit today to my esteemed colleague on the Nats beat who had the misfortune of attending Syracuse. Pretty remarkable what kind of program they've built at Northwestern, seven NCAA titles in eight years. And the program didn't even exist when I graduated 14 years ago!

394. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Hey you guys! We get Mark back today, don't we? That means more JFlo news. And good tweets.NatsJack, I expect you'll be there too, today, yes?1a, you made me snort my Diet Coke when I read the quote about poor Kerwin.

395. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Mark, I knew about the lax success at Northwestern and their dominance but did not know the program hasn't been around long. 7 titles in the last 8 years is legendary type of numbers.

396. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

JaneB, I think Mark is already in Miami which is much needed.

397. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Quick! Fresh post, before we turn over to page 3!!!

398. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

399. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

come on, let's go page 3. :PCongrats Mark on championship.

400. fast eddie - May 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Everything relevant has already been said–I just wanted to be Comment #400.

401. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… More 2005 trivia, on this evening in 2005, the Nats were 24-25 and then the Nats went on a 15-2 run. May 28, 2012 9:42 AM ___________________________One similarity to 2005 is how good and balanced the entire NL East is this year. In 2005, no NL East teams finished below .500

402. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

You'd think a Northwestern championship deserved a tweet from an alum who just happens to be a sportswriter. (I am pretty sure Kilgore tweeted when Syracuse made it to the Final Four of the Solo Red-Cup Stacking tourney.)

403. natsfan1a - May 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

What is there left to say? Well, other than #403. :-)

404. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I just saw the Brewers/DBacks hilights and low-lights.The low-light is provided by Nyjer Morgan. With bases loaded and 1 out, Nyjer hits a grounder to shortstop with the infield drawn in and the shortstop went home for out #2 and the catcher then threw Nyjer out at 1st for the inning ending doubleplay. Nyjer basically jogged to 1st looking behind him at the play at the plate. The announcers bashed him including the fact that Nyjer has NO RBIs this year!

405. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

if anyone finds a video link of Harper's K, please put it here. I wanna see it again.

406. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Tryna be patient…… Where's the new thread?!

407. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

408. natsfan1a - May 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Stupid LiveJournal ate my post. To reiterate, pitching probables for this series look like Zim-Zamb, Jackson-Sanchez, and Wang-Johnson (you just need to behave on that last one, boys ;-)).

409. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Mark Z. just tweeting a confirmation that Corey Brown is at the ballpark and so is Chad Tracy.

410. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Wang-Johnson….(snork!)

411. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… How can a guy like Rick Ankiel be super clutch but not clutch? Last night in the 4th inning, Ankiel struck out with bases loaded and no outs.Ankiel is now only 2 for 14 (.143) with RISP and less than 2 outs but is an amazing 6 for 15 (.400) with RISP with 2 outs.Ank has struck out in 6 of his 14 ABs with RISP and less than 2 outs.Ankiel is batting .231 overall in high leverage situations. My theory is that Ankiel gets amped up in the obvious RBI situations and relaxes more when there are 2 outs in the same situations. May 28, 2012 10:25 AM _________________________________It certainly seemed like Ankiel sometimes comes through and its nice to see what the stats look like. Good theory. Just wish he could ONCE lay off of that high heat.

412. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Ghost, have you looked at matchups? was he facing a righty in all those at bats? my understanding is that he is a weaker hitter against lefties. anyways, either way that's two few at bats to say anything concrete.

413. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The Braves organist is at it again–for the Cards. Too funny!Matthew Kaminski ‏@bravesorganist#Braves vs. #Cards – Coal Miner's Daughter for Lynn

414. ehay2k - May 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Funny quote from Nyjer "It's about ME" Morgan on his getting caught running slowly to first while he looked back at home plate: "I thought Rick [Weeks, the runner at third] was going to blast him, to tell you the truth. I was looking back to see some action, got caught up looking at the play and that cost me a little bit of speed there."Yes Nyjer, you would really make a good spectator. I am so, so glad you are no longer a National.

415. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

ehay2k, thanks for picking that quote. The guy is a clown. It was a force at home! Why would Weeks blast him? Catcher steps on plate and throws to 1st.Nyjer's faithful in Milwaukee are slowly turning on him. Reminds me of what happened on here. I don't think it will turn out well for Nyjer in Milwaukee.

416. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

that sounds like an excuse. Why can't he just admit that he made a mistake?

417. mick - May 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Niger, Manny, Dukes,100 plus losses, etc the culture of LOSERS is gone, the curse is over!!!The only thing from the past I would love to see/hear would be 25 to 6 to 4 Chicago as the Nats theme song on MASN as it was in 1968 on WTOP for the Senators. lol

418. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Speaking of Nyjer, his tradee to the Nats Cutter Dykstra is doing well, sort of. I'm reading through the Nats MiLB stats and see Cutter Dykstra had a big day in A ball. The strange thing is that Dykstra was demoted. He is now playing in Hagerstown Low A as he ended the season last year in Potomac High A.

419. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Marlin's blog "Fish Stripes" predicts the Nats will win 5-2. I appreciate the honesty, but–really? Your own team?Fish Stripeshttp://www.fishstripes.com/2012/5/28/3047913/game-49-washington-nationals-miami-marlins-game-thread-and#storyjump

420. baseballswami - May 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Finally caught up on last night's game. Didn't know what you were talking about re; the ump – watched it again – yikes. He is a champion for staying in that game. Any Flo news? He has played an awful lot recently after only playing a time or two a week. He also ran the bases last night a lot :) — his legs may just need a break. Maldonado is a big guy, no? Nats must be pretty tired today, although I am figuring that the trip was not long and they were in a good mood. Who will surprise me today? Or, rather, why does anything surprise me at this point? Go Nats! Go ZNN!

421. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

For Corey: get 1 or 2 hits and a walk every day…and never look back…

422. mick - May 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

swami… I bet Nats play good today, where the fatigue catches up will be on Tuesday, I look for a tough game on Tuesday, maybe Wang can carry them? Bryce Harper as the opportunity to do what Ovechkin has failed to do so far In DC and that is become an icon like Jordan in Chicago.this is exciting for all DC and well deserved

423. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

From Chase on JFlo:http://www.csnwashington.com/baseball-washington-nationals/nationals-talk/Flores-day-to-day-with-hamstringI hope Lombardozzi is taking some pitches in the bullpen just in case.

424. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

mick, right. The adrenalin is probably still pumping. You know I am a big CMW fan, want to see him do great tomorrown and Det for about 3-4 innings in GOOD relief. Roof will be closed so Det should not get too tired.In the meantime, let's get some of those runs for JZ!Changing my pic for today. Remember those in uniform, living and dead.

425. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Mark and Amanda tweeted some pics of the Marlins' stadium. It looks really pretty except for The Thing (which blocks the view of Miami). How about let's NOT light it up!

426. mick - May 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

God Bless you Nats lady. I just spoke with my Uncle a few days ago who is 89 and going strong, he fought and was wounded in Italy. I can not even imagine a young 19 year old today facing what the greatest generation faced back then

427. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Good news via MarkZ:Jesus Flores says his hamstring feels much better today. Hoping to play tomorrow but will wait to see how it feels.

428. hmm... - May 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

mick – its nyjer. and you know it. shame on you.

429. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Its official. Corey Brown on the roster! Lets do it CB!!!!

430. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Looking at the replay, bottom of the ninth. Hinsky's face when he realizes he has to face ANOTHER lefty–priceless!

431. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Chase was apparently distracted enough to think Jesus scored a run on that play…by jogging into 2nd? Actually liking that he took himself out there… Didn't look hurt, and I'll bet he could have toughed it out…and possibly wound up on the DL… Good on ya, JFlo!!

432. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

mick, my father was in the South Pacific (radio operator).

433. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Why not get CBrown in against the RH pitcher in place of Ankiel?Lineup: Lombardozzi LF, Harper RF, Zimmerman 3B, LaRoche 1B, Desmond SS, Espinosa 2B, Ankiel CF, Maldonado C, Zimmermann RHP

434. waddu eye no - May 28, 2012 at 3:28 PM

saw a lot of the returning kids at the capital reception last nite – after the rainout. the only reason it doesn't completely break your heart is that they've got the best attitudes in the crowd. the humility before the praise they get (and deserve) and love for each other – and country – is breathtaking to see. they're a pretty great generation themselves.anybody in a position to hire someone? call walter reed

435. waddu eye no - May 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM

as per nats lady:http://www.fishstripes.com/2012/5/28/3047913/game-49-washington-nationals-miami-marlins-game-thread-and#storyjumpi nominate you for insider foreign press correspondent.

436. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Gonat, I would say because of defense–unfamiliar park. Yes, it's unfamiliar to Ank, but he has a better chance. Another righty tomorrow (Anibal Sanchez) gives Corey Brown opportunity to shag a few flies and see how it plays.

437. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I would think they would not play Lombo since he is the backup catcher. Brown in CF.

438. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM

NatsLady, that's probably what Davey will do. Many managers will get the new HOT call-up right in there. Davey will probably use him as a PH. Ugh

439. realdealnats - May 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Just got in from Memphis and wow The Energizer Thread is still going…Drew @ 1:27–great post. Great problems to have. Love Rendon but fear injuries throughout his career. Let Rendon force his way into the lineup with a couple seasons injury free before trading valuable pieces, like Espi and Lombo, already in the fold. Seamhead @ 8:09 have always loved Rizzo–especially when he deepened the scouting dept and brought Davey aboard. Now they remind me of Beathard and Gibbs. But seem to get along better. Nats ability to keep plugging in talent when holes open up is noteworthy. And, agreed, looking for more of the same in 2012 draft.Mick @ 11:04–love the reference to Ovechkin. I always post late so don't often get into the back and forth of the threads, unfortunately, but I've said at least twice–and this applies to Joe Seamhead too–hey–let's steal this WS THIS year while we're still young and naive. Before we put too much pressure on ourselves. It does indeed appear to be a perfect storm forming. But it is a marathon…Would also like to end by saying what a cool group this is commenting night in and night out. Insightful, witty, prescient, thorough. For all the inches of copy, there are not many I gloss over. In this sense, this thread is its own perfect storm. Thanks MarkZ! PFB…GYFNGoGo

440. mick - May 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM

hmm..I swear, that was a typo, if I offended anyone I apologize!

441. mick - May 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM

realdealnats…. TY!

442. mick - May 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Nats lady: God Bless your Father!