Game 48: Nats at Marlins

May 28, 2012, 3:27 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats make their first appearance at Marlins Park this afternoon.

MIAMI — Hello, for the first time, from Marlins Park, home of the bullpen bar with dancing girls, the lime green outfield fence, the fish tank in the backstop and the home run thingamajig. Photos truly cannot do this thing justice. It is massive.

Perhaps it's a good thing the Nationals are a bit loopy this morning after their short turnaround from last night's game in Atlanta. Said Davey Johnson: "I feel like I flew from Beijing to Miami." Guys are in a good mood, though, helped by the fact they just swept the Braves.

There's a new face in the clubhouse as well. Outfielder Corey Brown had his contract purchased from Class AAA Syracuse (where he led the team with 12 homers, five of them over his last five games). Chad Tracy, meanwhile, has been placed on the 15-day DL with a groin injury; he'll fly to Philadelphia tomorrow to be examined but could miss significant time. To make room on the 40-man roster for Brown, Jayson Werth has been transferred to the 60-day DL. Jesus Flores, meanwhile, says his right hamstring feels much better, and he hopes to be able to catch tomorrow night.

It's Jordan Zimmermann vs. Carlos Zambrano on this Memorial Day. Live updates and analysis to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Indoors

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:30 PM

(1). All hail the new thread!(2). Mark, does Werth being on the 60 day DL mean he can't be in the clubhouse? If so, That stinks.

2. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I was wondering about the clubhouse rule, too. Because that could really impact the Kid.My personal hope is that Mark goes a looooooong time before he sees that homerun thingamajig do its dance. I haven't been following the fish too carefully, but I hope Hanley is still off his game. And that Sanchez has whatever Halladay has.

3. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Off topic but topical at the same time:Today, I slept in some. Later, I will fire up the grill, watch a baseball game and have a few cold beers. My friends will be doing similar things. While we are enjoying this day off, across the world, United States Marines and Army Soldiers will be standing a sentry post, Naval and Coast Guard personnel will be patrolling the waters and Air Force personnel will be patrolling the air. Many others have given the ultimate sacrifice that has enabled us to live our lives in peace.Thank you to all our past and present Armed Forces and especially to those who gave all…May everyone at nats Journal have a happy and safe Memorial day.

4. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

5. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

GoGoGoGoGoYFNGoGoGoGoGo!!!!!Welcome aboard, Corey! Long may you wave!!!And…… Being a fan of tacky schmaltz, I like the thingamajig!!! Let's just keep it dormant, for the next 3 days, right?

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I thought a tropical storm was headed there, your picture looks too sunny.Can someone with more brains than me expplain On base percentages.bryce Harper has 101 AB, 14 walks and 1 HBP. (also a sacrafice fly that doesn;'t count I thought)Wgeb U duvude 44 by 116 I get .379. When I divide 44 bt 117 I get .376. MLB gas him listed as.376. Did the sacrafice gly at bat count? It doesn't count on vatting average so that seems dumb. Where might he have that extra at bat that seems to be counting if not the sacragice fly?Thanks for helping me as this is one of those little things that bug me.

7. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM

TinDz: Hear, Hear!!!

8. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

OK, here's my plan. The Nats get up by about 9-0. Giancarlo smashes one (solo) into The Thing and busts it to pieces and it dies, unmourned by anyone outside of Miami.

9. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM

10. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Manassas–well, he didn't get on base with a sacfly, so I guess it makes some sort of sense. Try the same arithmetic for Gio and see what you come up with.

11. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Mark, any indication from Davey yet about how he plans to use Brown? Totally unlike Moore, Brown isn't on the 25 man to play out of position; but even more than TMo — and like most call ups — Brown needs ABs to get acclimated to the Show (as he has at each level).Does Davey think Ankiel is going on a hot streak again and wants to ride it before putting in Brown? No point in bringing Brown up to be a bat off the bench when Werth's absence gives the perfect opportunity for Brown to get his sea legs in the Show . Sure, he'd be going back to the bench when Werth returns, but they'd have a somewhat seasoned backup to give the starters a blow. And you always need depth with the injury bug about to strike.

12. LoveDaNats - May 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Thanks, TimDz. Great reminder of the "reason for the season".Go Nats! Keep this fairy tale season going!

13. hiramhover - May 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

ManassasTreat the sac fly like a walk–it counts as a PA but not an AB.wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-base_percentage

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I thought a tropical storm was coming, that looks sunny.Can someone help me with a caculation that make no sense to me.Harper has had 101 officalat bats. 29 hits 14 walks and 1 HBP.In figuring his On base percentage I dividded 44 by 116 and got .379. MLB says it .376 That would mean 1 44 divided by 117. Does his plate appearance that was a sacrafice fly count against him in in base percentage, even though it doesn't count against him natting average?Thanks for the help.

15. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Re: catching situation. Amanda tweeted thisAmanda Comak ‏@acomakDavey did say that with Jhonatan Solano off the minor league DL, if the worst case happens & they need someone, he's just a phone call away

16. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM

orry for the duplication it never showed on my list the first time.As for not not making base that is true, but it doesn't count against the batting average and you did make an an out, so it seems the two stats aren't consistent in how they come up with them. I concluded it had to count, just didn't know officially.

17. NatsJack in Florida - May 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Sitting about 20 rows behind the Nats dugout. The place is absolutely beautiful but I've already negotiated more pedestrian ramps than 5 years of Nats Park. Only hdcp tickets and Diamond Club have access to elevators and I haven't found the first escalator.And you certainly better not be put off by a latin slant to things.

18. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I wouldn't play Lombo…rather put him in the backup catcher role and use Brown in CF

19. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM

TimDz said… Off topic but topical at the same time: While we are enjoying this day off, across the world, United States Marines and Army Soldiers will be standing a sentry post, Naval and Coast Guard personnel will be patrolling the waters and Air Force personnel will be patrolling the air. Many others have given the ultimate sacrifice that has enabled us to live our lives in peace.Thank you to all our past and present Armed Forces and especially to those who gave all…May everyone at nats Journal have a happy and safe Memorial day. May 28, 2012 11:33 AM _______________________________Well said Tim! Can't think it enough while we are enjoying the fruits of freedom!

20. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Eddie, I would say Brown plays tomorrow (another righty–Sanchez). Give him a minute to get acclimatized to unfamiliar park. Let him shag flies, pinch hit, maybe come in late innings if it's lopsided.Arm also unfamiliar with new park, but has a better chance of figuring it out on the first try. Just my opinion.

21. Mark Zuckerman - May 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

To answer the questions about Werth being allowed in the dugout now that he's on the 60-day DL … I don't know of any rule that prevents it. He'll still be rehabbing at Nationals Park and be around as much as before. And Wilson Ramos has been in the dugout since suffering his injury.

22. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

TimDz, I want to fourth your timely comment. The servicemen and women who died sacrificed all they had, and their service in the face of that peril deserves our respect always.

23. Mr. Whatnot - May 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM

(2). Mark, does Werth being on the 60 day DL mean he can't be in the clubhouse? If so, That stinks.Of course he can be in the clubhouse. He can even be on the field before games and during BP. Hell, even the owner can do that. If anything, being on the 60-day DL might keep Werth out of the dugout during games. But that's not that big a deal.

24. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM

cool NJ…wish I was there. Anyone up for becoming Nats Roadies….we used to do it for the Dead

25. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Thanks, Mark — that's great news for team chemistry and teaching the young 'uns.

26. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM

let's score tons of runs again for JZ.

27. Unknown - May 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how Harper was *blah* at Triple-A Syracuse but a stud in the majors:Syracuse: 18/72, .250/.333/.375, 1 HR 3RBI, Washington: 29/101, .287/.376/.525, 4 HR, 11 RBIMaybe he was like the really smart kid in school who got really low grades but once he skipped a couple of grades, he was straight-A's because he was finally challenged.I guess he was bored at Syracuse and didn't concentrate, but he's sure making it look easy right now. Farid @ Idaho

28. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

29. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

UnkyD said…Mana: yes it counts. It's not dumb… The walks don't count on BA either. On the sac, he gets "on base", right?————–What a stupid comment, by me….of course he's not "on base"! Just assume I don't know what I'm talking about…. At least 50/50 you won't go wrong…Sorry, Manassas Nat's Fan!

30. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Whatnot, I think the question we were all asking — excuse the imprecision of my writing "clubhouse" — was the one Mark answered, about his being in the dugout during games. And yes, that is a huge deal. Werth's (and to a lesser extent Ramos, but he learned a lot from Pudge) ability to observe and figure out what other teams are doing helps Davey and the team figure out what approach to take in response at the plate, in pitching, on the base paths, in the field. It's like having another coach who's actually played against the opposition to refine the game plan on the fly.

31. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Farid, there is a theory that in AAA, pitchers have less control and he gets less good pitches to hit as they try to carefully out pitch him. who knows.

32. NatsJack in Florida - May 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I'm kind of concerned that the Nats are going into this game with no experience with that funny round wall thar forms the right side if that "thing" in left center field. And watching Bryce track fly balls in this place could be interesting, too.

33. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Our NatGio, leading the NL in pitchers' WAR and a whole bunch of other stats, according to fangraphs. For your reading pleasure:Fangraphs NL Pitching Leadershttp://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=nl&qual=y&type=8&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=&age=&players=

34. Mr. Whatnot - May 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Mana: yes it counts. It's not dumb… The walks don't count on BA either. On the sac, he gets "on base", right?Um, no. He doesn't get on base on a sac fly. And the guy who scores was already on base, so you can't give the batter credit for that.Very simply, BA is based on official at bats. Walks, HBP and sacrifices aren't counted as official at bats. OBP is based on plate appearances. Walks, HBP and sacs count as plate appearances.It's no surprise that these two stats aren't consistent. They were developed at different times for different purposes. BA has been around forever, while OBP was at the leading edge of sabermetrics. Also, since OBP is based on PAs and BA is based on ABs, occasionally early in a season you'll see a guy who has no walks but some sacrifices have an OBP that is actually less than his BA.

35. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM

well they arrived at 3 AM in Miami…ouch..but I remember a post that the effects of sleep depravation doesn't kick in until the next game (tomorrow).At least JZnn will be well rested. Of course, C Brown had a very long trip yesterday too.

36. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Nats Lady at 11:50 — agree, that's why I was asking Mark about the broader plan. You don't want anyone getting their first MLB start a few hours after stepping off an unexpected plane flight if you can avoid it. I would take a start in CF by Brown on Tuesday and Wednesday (both against RHPs) as evidence that Davey does want to give him a real chance.

37. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

NatsJack — good point, but remember that for Harp, almost every road park they visit is new for him. As it is for Lombo. As it is for Gio, for that matter

38. Mr. Whatnot - May 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM

A note from Kilgore's story:The Nationals are not taking batting practice or fielding practice pregame, which may be difficult because no Nationals have ever played here before.Kilgore is a terrible writer. Why is it difficult for them to not take batting practice if they've never been there before? They just don't take batting practice. How hard is that?True, the lack of BP may lead to difficulties during the game. But he didn't say that. And on balance, if they take BP at the expense of two or three hours of sleep, that could lead to difficulties during the game too.

39. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM

FYI, here is link on Tracy's injury, "adductor strain."groin injuryhttp://www.drkelly.us/adductor%20strain.asp

40. hiramhover - May 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

there is a theory that in AAA, pitchers have less control and he gets less good pitches to hit as they try to carefully out pitch him. I've heard that theory too, but it's never made sense to me – high school and juco pitchers are certainly not better than AAA pitchers, and Bryce didn't have a lot of trouble with them.I think the lack of motivation theory makes more sense. Bryce knew what everyone else did – that his call up was only a matter of when, not if. He lacked the motivation that most guys have in AAA–they know still have something to prove if that want to make the majors. Bryce didn't.

41. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

TimDz.. well said.NatsJack.. expect more reports of the new park. Tell us about the food, lines, etc.

42. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Whatnot, I gave up a long time ago on Kilgore's prose–and his proof-reader, if there is one. Just trying to get information…

43. djinFl. - May 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Storm came ashore between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. Rain bands in the northern half of the state only from the TS.

44. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM

HH, agreed. Harp was just playing out the time in the 'Cuse and trying not to get injured.

45. hiramhover - May 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM

@Mr WhatnotIt's not the height of English prose, but you might cut Kilgore some slack–remember, he probably didn't get any more sleep than the players did.

46. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM

agreed hiramhoover. He may have treated this year's AAA stint as a tuneup to practice for the show

47. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Hiramhover @ 12:12 — You are correct, sir. He was most motivated to produce when he got where he had always wanted to be. He didn't do all the things he did earlier so he could get to AAA ball.

48. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Just he old fart in me is wondering under all this logic, you make base an error,, that doesn't count for you, but you made base. Seems like that should count too. Thanks for the help, I actually did answer my question once I thought about it.Speaking of stats Harper is now in top 50 in runs scored. Not bad for playing about 60% of the games. Want to see him climb that list.

49. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

HH — how did you like that little chorus?

50. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Yes, NJ, more commentary on the park and how it plays as time permits. I'd love to be there. Will need to get a VW bus for the summer of Jeff touring all the ballparks…Been to the new new york stadiums, fenway, pittsburgh, houston, camden, nats park but that's about it.

51. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Hiramhover, I don't know what it is and it really had me concerned that Bryce would struggle. He has blown away my expectations. Even his power numbers and clutch numbers have been impressive.

53. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM

but this new marlins park looks very cool and different. Gotta go when the roof is off.

54. Maijo - May 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Bryce had a lack of motivation in AAA? Bulloney. He is a human powder keg of motivation — his entire life has been about going all-out as a ballplayer. At just about every level, he has started slowly. He makes adjustments and then he rakes. It's that simple.

55. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM

MLB Network is replaying the OF ARM poll. Just about to reveal ANK as the #1 ARM!

56. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Social Media poll on best outfield arms:1. Ankiel 12%2tie Harper 7%2tie Bruce 7%4. Ichiro 5%

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM

@Nats Jack (FYI we went to the same high school, I was there when Big Cat was there).You ahve a cuty W hat on, what else so we can be looking for you on a foul over the dugout. or When MASN talks about nats fans around the country.

58. baseballswami - May 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Via twitter – Bo Porter was on the field this morning hitting balls all around the field to no one to see how the field plays. At least some attempt to figure things out. ESPN talking heads made all kinds of excuses for Heyward last night for having problems in his own, home outfield. Sheesh. I would rather have them rested. At least it won't be hot. Have they played an indoor game yet this season? How many indoor stadiums are there now? Go Nats! We will miss you Chad – get well! Go Corey Brown – you have had some mighty supporters around here and I hope you prove them to be absolutely correct!

59. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Harper will have one of the best arms as he learns game situation and what base to throw it to. I would not consider him in the top 5 at this time.

60. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Wasn't last night a record for comments? (Don't remember going over 400 before.). They keep playing like this, and road games where Mark isn't with the team (so not a lot of other posts to spread our jabbering across) are gonna be like that.Mark, is there any way to put a "top of page" button at the bottom of the comment thread so those of us posting on mobile devices don't have to scroll up endlessly to do a refresh on the thread? Don't want to sound unappreciative — you're a fabulous host and guide to the best Nats fan hangout and go-to site around, especially for this year's trip to baseball nirvana!

61. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM

All these freakin Nats being interviewed on MLB about Ankiel;s arms….unreal

62. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Yes Nats fever is at an all time high in my head

63. NatsJack in Florida - May 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM

OK….they do have escalators that take you from the first level to the second and third. And since all of Miami is within 5 feet of being part of the Atlantic Ocean the field and street level are the same as opposed to DC where the field is below street level.

64. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The Arm threw one away last night but Stammen saved him from an error. He (Ankiel) looked sweaty and tired, and he still threw it further than most home runs–in reverse.

65. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM

NJ, just curious, what is the flood plan? Is the stadium usable as a hurricane shelter (hopefully better than what happened in Katrina).

66. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Eddie: on my iPhone, I just touch the very top of the screen, and it instantly scrolls all the way up… Dunno about other devices…

67. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Would be difficult to use as a shelter…below sea level…too close to the water….winds in upper deck would be deadly if part of roof would fail

68. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM

How quickly does Brian Goodwin advance…not as quickly as Harper of course, but I don't know much about his potential compared to other outfielders in minors.

69. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I wasn't thinking of during a hurricane, but afterwards, that it should be stocked with supplies, etc., backup power, cots…

70. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The starting outfield for the Nats next week could be Beast, Brown, Bamm-Bamm

71. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM

yes…if it survived a hurricane, that would make sense.Does anyone know the papa johns promo code when the nats score 6 or more runs on the road ?

72. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM

NL, in fact one of my favorite movies was on saturday night…Key Largo with Bogart, Becall, Barrymore and Robinson. How they survived a hurricane in the keys.

73. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Gonat, the new Killer B's sort of plus outfield coach Bo and backup Bernadina.

74. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM

jeffwx — I thought that was only for home wins when they score 5 or more. Six is for Hard Times Cafe wings. Evidence of how well they're starting to rock the ball — and without Beast and Werth! — is that my 11 year old says she's starting to get tired of wings.

75. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Isn't Ank's nickname Bazooka Rick?

76. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM

And Barrymore spooking Robinson remeniscing about the 1935 hurricane where they were picking out bodies out of the mangrove swamps for months after. Actually true. That hurricane moved a train 400 feet killing all workers aboard

77. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Thanks Steddie, i'll get off my butt and fire up up the Q.

78. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You can get 50% off from Papa John's because we won yesterday with 6 runs, doesn't matter that it was not a home game.Here is the diff between April and May. April, 2 runs in the first, I'm nervous. Now, I'm just in waiting mode. When Gio hit the sacfly to tie the game I said to myself, "OK, we got this."

79. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Here it is:All season long, use the Promo Code: NATS50 every day after the Nats win & score at least 5 Runs for 50% OFF regular menu price at PapaJohns.com!Papa John’s, Official Pizza of your Washington Nationals.Use the promotion code NATS50 and you must order online!

80. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM

MLB TV showing 10 greatest heaters of all time. They're down to 1, which is the Big Train, my HS alma mater!

81. NatsJack in Florida - May 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM

wearing a road curly W hat and a red Nats T shirt with a curly w.

82. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Thanks, Jeff and NatsLady!

83. NatsJack in Florida - May 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Got a smile and a wave from Davey a few minutes ago when he saw me and Gator John.

84. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Nuggets from radio interview: Davey's Dad was a prisoner-of-war (Army), his grandpops was Navy. And he's tired… He got three hours sleep because he woke up with the sun… and he almost sent himself ahead along with Zimmermann… And he loves the Nats, really felt it when he said that.

85. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7979946/philadelphia-phillies-sending-roy-halladay-doctor-tuesdayI guess Halladay's problems aren't "nothing". The Phillies are still deep in pitching and we all know they could get Oswalt if they spend the cash.

86. realdealnats - May 28, 2012 at 5:01 PM

HiramHover et al–Plus it was cold up there in Syracuse that early in the season. Playing with the big boys is where he's always wanted to be and now it seems to be his perfect storm…

87. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 28, 2012 at 5:05 PM

For what it's worth, I'd like to request that each individual commenter limit himself to no more than 4 posts a week [kvetching] that Brown isn't playing enough. Reasonable?Just trying to get out in front of it here.

88. That old-school, prestigious way of Scooter - May 28, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Also, gyfng. Naturally.

89. jeffwx - May 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Big Train…the greatest pitcher of all time.check out his 1913 season…pitching shutouts on both sides of the doubleheader. No one came close to his number of wins, ERAs, shut outs, strikeouts in his best year… A clear sign when someone is in a league of their own.http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1913-pitching-leaders.shtml

90. realdealnats - May 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Steady Eddie–I teach at your alma mater

91. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Realdealnats — that's cool! Actually, my wife was in the same class, tho we weren't a couple until we met in grad school.But it was a LONG time ago — we had our 40th reunion just last fall.

92. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Don't want the Mets to win. Don't want Colbert to win. #Torn

93. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I'm rooting for everyone over Colbert. Even the Yankees. I'd root for the PHILLIES to best Colbert, except for the obvious fact he plays for them.Now that we had those stats about Ankiel batting without RISP, I knew not to hold out too much hope.

94. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

NatsLady said… Don't want the Mets to win. Don't want Colbert to win. #Torn May 28, 2012 1:25 PM ____________________________Thinking the same thing. I hope it goes 18 innings each game.

95. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

96. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Zim, come on man.

97. Mr. Doggett - May 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I think Stras and Gio were making fun of that gaudy monstrosity at Marlins park….. and I don't mean Carlos Zambrano.

98. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

This has been where the Nats have been great. No errors. Extra pitches now have to be thrown and the situation of starting the 3rd with Zambrano is opportunity missed in the small scheme of a game.

99. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

100. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

NatsLady said… Stras is actually cute when he laughs!! Wonder what he and Gio are saying to each other… May 28, 2012 1:38 PM ___________________________My guess is what a joke Ozzie Guillen is.

101. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM

NatsLady said… See now, RZ with a rare error, JZ just goes and gets the next guy. Maturity. I like that in a pitcher. Well, in a Nats pitcher. May 28, 2012 1:43 PM __________________________Thinking the same thing. Not so sure last year he would have had the same mature result.

102. NatsJack in Florida - May 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Not making excuses for Zim. This is just a personal observation.The grass portion of the playing surface is horrible. They obviously have a learning curve to go throigh on this whole indoor/ outdoor grass growing thing.

103. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Zambrano hit .318 last year, Gonat. Not the worst hitter in the league.

104. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Some comments on the field. It looks like there ares some brown spots on the OF grass, but it also looks like some of the infield looks really choppy (like it hasn't grown in all the way)/

105. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

JORDAN!!!!

106. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Zimmermannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!! Ha, he asked the 2B ump if it went out! How you like that!

107. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Jordan! How about THAT?

108. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

HELL YEAH! JZimm, you da man!

109. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Ankiel must be in charge of the helmet removal now

110. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Glad to hear the got the HR bal back!

111. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

MLB needs to do a story on our pitchers' hitting.

112. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Nice defense there…

113. JaneB - May 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Nick Johnson and Austin Keatns had a collision like Espi and Desimjust had, only it didn't end so well.

114. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Good to see that Stanton is contained so far.

115. Steady Eddie - May 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Fortunately Desi and Espinoza are a little more acrobatic than Nick the stick and Austin.

116. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Ex-Nats:Jason Marquis is now a free agent after clearing release waivers.

117. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Oh, how I wish they still made movies like "Key Largo"….. Only one Bogie, though…..

118. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Boo. The Fillies got 2 runs for Colbert. OTOH, StL got 2 against the Braves.

119. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Something must have happened in the Mets game. David Wright is now at Short.

120. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Zambrano is up.to 69 pitches through four. Keep working the count like they did with Beachy.

121. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

is the 60 day DL retroactive on Werth or does it begin from when Werth first went on DL?how long is teacy out?

122. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Candy is a stiff

123. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM

darn it Jordan!

124. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM

125. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Do the Nats hats have stars inside the W, or is it cammo?

126. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM

when is Leon back?

127. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Cammo, according to Charlie and Dave. Special design.

128. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Mick.. Mark has a post on Tracy's status. I think it depends on whay they find tomorrow at the DR. Not sure about Werth, but don't think it matters with Werth.

129. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM

130. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Thanks Michele, I read Mark's post but it did not answer the retroactive question

131. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Marlins Park looks ok, but it reminds me why I like Nats Park so much, it's just a baseball park, no gimmicks, quirks, or crazy themes…Just wish it were in VA…

132. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM

mick said… is the 60 day DL retroactive on Werth or does it begin from when Werth first went on DL?how long is tracy out? May 28, 2012 2:15 PM ________________________________Werth's DL isn't an issue as it will be more than 60 days.Tracy has to sit out a full 15 days.

133. Knoxville Nat - May 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Way off topic but knowing that the Nationals played a late game the night before and have to travel afterwards, how does MLB allow the Marlins to schedule this game for a 1:10 start? That just doesn't seem right to me, game should not be allowed to start until at least 4:00 PM.

134. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Harper deserved that single. He's mashing the ball.

135. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Oh Zim! 2 needed RBIs!

136. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Zimm absolutely crushed that

137. MicheleS - May 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Zim is starting to heat up… got to love that.

138. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Again a quick response to the opponent scoring…Trait of a good team

139. TimDz - May 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

HELL YA!!!Maybe I should just give my neighbor a case of beer for the season …

140. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Knoxville, you are right, and that is in the CBA, but they make an exception for "broadcasts."

141. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Zman!What a huge difference it makes to have dynamic, high on-base guys at the top of the order.

142. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

The problem was not the 1:10 start in Miami, it was the 8 pm. start in Atlanta for ESPN.

143. peric - May 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

of course you realize NatsLady that the Nat's HITTING is dramatically IMPROVED since Werth left the lineup? IMO they are far better off offensively with Werth safely ensconced on the bench and Harper in right field. You give Werth far too much credit … he really hasn't been much more than a goo veteran bench bat. From the get-go.

144. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Totally agree with Peric…THis lineup is better w/out Werth. Half of his hits came with nobody on base…He was not producing runs

145. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Mets tie it up against Philthie Colbert

146. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Colbert with the death combo (walk and HR) so it's tied 2-2 in NY.Wow, that is some graphic. Nats pitchers have held their opponents to under 10 hits since some date in 2011–longest streak since 1968 (something like that… pretty amazing).

147. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

peric, why you on my case? I didn't even mention Werth's name.

148. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

The beard makes Espi look like Peggy from the credit card commercials…

149. peric - May 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Your avatar looks like his photo and you earlier said :Eddie, I posed the same question to Mark on Twitter. At least that photo minimizes The Thing.Personally I think its a jinx given the deep slump they were in when he was in the line up.

150. peric - May 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

IMO Jayson Werth === Barry Zito. But I suppose every good team has to have at least one …

151. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

FYI, from Twitter:James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWPWas curious, so I looked it up: Nationals pitchers lead the majors in batting average, slugging, doubles and home runs. These guys can hit.

152. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

peric, one time avatar for Memorial Day because of his hat. But yes, I don't mind Werth in the dugout. I'm a fan.

153. Faraz Shaikh - May 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM

we stil need to improve our bottom half of lineup.

154. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

(Sigh) Tie game.

155. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

g damn it Jordan!!!!

156. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

JZim with a rare mistake.

157. baseballswami - May 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Just wondering about Lombo and Miami Bryce. Have they played together much? They seem to talk a lot and have a good chemistry following each other. Is Lombo the nearest in age to Bryce. I know Bryce likes to chat with older guys to learn, but he needs buddies, too. I loved watching them both score. Oh, crap – Stanton strikes again.

158. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

you finally get some help on offense and give up two dumb gopher pitches!

159. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

glad Rizzo never made the trade for Adam Jones, Lombo is a beast and why the heck would you give up Storen and Lombo?

160. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

there is a reason Jordan is 2-4, stats rarely never lie

161. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

You cannot let that guy beat you (or tie you).Once again a starter gets a lead and gives it back.

162. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Drew, exactly!

163. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Jordan not getting his putaway pitch. He was unstoppable until the beginning of the 6th.

164. mick - May 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

165. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

"stats rarely never lie"?

166. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Is NatsJack doing the wave? LOL

167. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Another Nats pitcher not good after 5 innings (except Gio and Ejax). OK, reached back and got a K. C'mon, man, get through this!

168. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

mick said… Jordan, tale yourself out and apologize to your manager and team for being a loser today, your 2-4 record speaks for itself! May 28, 2012 2:55 PM _____________________________Take a chill pill. Do you think thats the 1st HR Stanton has ever hit?

169. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I understand about the Stanton HR. But JZ is still in trouble. Need to get out of this.

170. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Gonat, no it is not his first HR, but its his 2nd off ZIM!!!

171. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

this loss is on Jordan Zim period.

172. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Lombo has a weak arm. That ball had nothing on it.

173. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

that's if we lose

174. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

like I said what the heck was Rizzo thinking offering the best relief pitcher in the game and Lombo for one player? Now, if Storen is really hurt, then I giess a straight up Jones – Lombo trade would have made sense

175. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

mick said… Gonat, no it is not his first HR, but its his 2nd off ZIM!!! May 28, 2012 3:00 PM ____________________________Cole Hamels has given up 2 HRs today and 4 earned runs. Does he suck as a pitcher?You are such a negative person. Give it a rest and try to be positive, it works wonders for the soul.

176. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Not faulting Lombo but a better arm it might have been close. And then he makes a nice catch! Damage, but certainly not out of reach.

177. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

not Lombo's fault at all!!!!

178. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

That seemed like a pretty noisy moment of silence, on the radio, anyway…

179. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Jordan's due up. Corey Brown here?

180. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

in fact, Lombo should be playing second in place of the king of the stiffs, Espinoza.

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Well we know Colbert Hamels sux as a person.

182. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Still wouldn't want him on my team. Have to assume Rizzo feels the same.________________________________________________Cole Hamels has given up 2 HRs today and 4 earned runs. Does he suck as a pitcher?

183. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

That's why Lombo should, and should not be in L.F. all demonstrated in two pitches! An everyday outfielder guns the runner at the plate. The ball wasn't hit very deep. Then he makes a terrific backhanded catch on the very next play.

184. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

NatsLady, that's what you call an accurate/weak throw.

185. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Gonat… I am mostly positive, and do not need a lecture from you. If you find anything positive about blowing a 2 run lead against a division opponent, please tell us what it is?

186. mick - May 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Lombo should be at 2nd base

187. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Let him be, Gonat… That's Mick, The Corona Killer, and it's waaaaay past noon, on a holiday……

188. baseballswami - May 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

In general I though JZim's stuff looked good today. It happens to the best of them. Not fair to criticize Lombo – he is doing really well at an un-natural position. We need his bat. Just because you go behind in a game doesn't mean that suddenly your pitcher or your whole team is terrible. More offense would certainly be nice, though, if they can just stay awake a little longer.

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Mick, save it. Complain after the game.

190. baseballswami - May 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

191. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

baseballswami, Lombo has done a good job in LF. Its really the first time we have seen his arm out there and it is weak. That was the book on him and like Mick said, they won't let him play 2nd base any more.

192. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

By the way, Bernadina with a really good at-bat and the same with Lombardozzi.

193. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Unkyd, I thought the same on the Moment of Silence, and was ready to type–then thought maybe I was being overly critical of Marlins fans who are, after all, not used to being at a baseball park.

194. UnkyD - May 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

A Lady, indeed…(tips hat)

195. Swift Eagle - May 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Just move the runners up Bam Bam, Zim or Adam will get them in

196. Gonat - May 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Unreal. How the heck did Coglan catch that ball.

197. Drew - May 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM

What is Bernadina doing? Tag up!

198. NatsLady - May 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

They showed the pitch sequence, Harper could have walked. That was the first pitch that was even close. Unlucky break Cog got to it.

199. Joe Seamhead - May 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Atrocious Baserunning by Bernadina.