Game 49: Nats at Marlins

May 29, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Edwin Jackson faces Anibal Sanchez tonight at Marlins Park.

MIAMI — Over the last seven seasons, the Nationals have had 18 chances to beat Anibal Sanchez. And they're 0-for-18 against the Marlins right-hander. Perhaps the 19th time will be the charm.

Sanchez (7-0, 2.10 ERA in those 18 starts) will be on the mound tonight at Marlins Park, facing a Nationals club that would certainly like to bounce back from yesterday's 5-3 loss and avoid clinching only their fourth series loss of the season (they previously lost to the Dodgers, Pirates and Orioles). Edwin Jackson, who despite his 3.38 ERA this season remarkably has only one win (that complete-game, two-hitter against the Reds), gets the start for Davey Johnson.

The Nationals will have a new player on their bench, Jhonatan Solano, who becomes the fifth different catcher on the roster already this year. And, in a nice twist of fate, Solano's brother Donovan was just called up by the Marlins last week.

Updates and analysis to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Indoors

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 29, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Daveys lineup must be delayed due to a Brown out.

2. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Is Martin Maldonado (also a catcher) related to ours?5/28/2012: Maldonado was called up by the Brewers to replace the injured Jonathan Lucroy.

3. Steady Eddie - May 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Mark, while it would be nice to beat Sanchez, I — and, I suspect, the team — would be happy to have a similar result to April 21 (3-2 Nats win, Nats had a 2-0 lead on solo Desi and Werth HRs when Sanchez left after 7), tho obviously without having to go through Lidge's blown save (which also cost Stras the win) first.Of course, the problem was that with only scoring 2 runs against Sanchez, the Nats staff had to pitch 8 shutout innings to hold the lead until Lidge could blow it. One of those kinds of games. So, yeah, EJax not having to be that perfect would be good.

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Ok, its a Brown in!

5. Marty - May 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Corey Brown and Lombo at 2nd? Grandpa Davey says Merry Christmas to the peanut gallery!

6. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Okay, I need to get on the Werth Soapbox.Intangibles people, last year, that is what he brought to the club. By all accounts he was the reason Nyjer is now wearing out his welcome with the Brewers (thank you for that). He handled the loss of ALR and RZ, mentored the kids – including Morse, and had to put up with the SOAP OPERA that was going on in that clubhouse. You only have to see how the team talks about Davey and know how crazy it must have been in there before Davey got there. Once things settled down in the second half and he didn't feel like he had to carry the weight of the team, Werth's numbers got better. And this year we saw him start of really well until the injury. That's just my opionion.

7. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM

SJM308.. if you are reading this. SO Glad you have had a great trip!!! Can't wait to see you at Justin's!

8. alexva - May 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

re: Werth, you're not alone Michele

9. JD - May 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

MichelleS, I can't comment on intangibles because they are too subjective and there's too much here say involved but I'm pretty sure that Werth was and is being paid for tangibles which he really has no chance to delver (not his fault; no one else has been able to reverse aging with PEDS).

10. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

And the catching carousel continues. Would someone please make sure that Solano wears his seatbelt and takes all other appropriate safety precautions? Speaking of catchers – Buster Posey, who had a terrible injury last year, came back this year without missing a step. But – I watched him this week – play at the plate – he doesn't block – he has a new technique where he is off to the side and tags the guys as he goes past him.It worked and he was never touched. Hoping all of our remaining catchers play smart. I know the injuries were freak ones, not plate collisions, but still hoping they avoid dangerous plays if possible.

11. JD - May 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Of course I meant without PEDS. With PEDS it has proven to be pretty easy. Just ask Bonds and Clemens.

12. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Swami.. BUBBLE WRAP.. That's what we need to send the catchers!!!JD.. and other than the 1st half of the year, his tangbiles were fine. Do I think he is going to be all world? NO, I think he will be a solid to very good MLB player regardless of the contract size (not something I care about since that was a bad team tax we had to pay and no one would ever turn that money down).

13. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hoping it doesn't storm too badly tonight – got tickets to see Morse! I will try to post from the game. I need to remember to set the dvr, though , for the nats game.

14. phil dunton - May 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Yes, Lombardozzi at 2nd base. About time! Espi needs to go back to Syracuse and learn to bat from the left side or he needs to forget switch hitting.

15. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

OK, Rick, don't be polite–DIRECT TRAFFIC out there!

16. Ron In Reston - May 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Somewhere I hear Rick singing Stealer's Wheel lyrics….And you are absolutely correct, NL. The CF has to be IN CHARGE.

17. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Hopefully everyone got a good nights sleep and woke up feeling hitterish!!!

18. Steady Eddie - May 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM

JD — just because you "can't comment" on "too subjective" intangibles doesn't mean that tbey're not a part of what motivates the FO. Rizzo has said often in the hot stove seasons that he looks to sign high "character" players among those with talent. It's not either/or. It just isn't.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

MicheleS, even though your Werth post is subjective, Congrats on it. I see it just like you do and say it often. Sure. its opinion that many won't agree with but that's fine, Werth's stats are much better this year.

20. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Halladay out 6-8 weeks ….

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Panic in Philadelphia……

22. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Halladay out 6-8 weeks ….Oh? Learning to be a switch-pitcher?? Like his bobble-head.No, seriously, I feel bad for him or any injured player. OK, almost any injured player.

23. CN - May 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/phillies-talk/Halladay-placed-on-DL-out-6-8-weeks?blockID=716086&feedID=693Do you think anyone in Toronto is yelling "Hey Roy, you deserve to be injured!" I doubt it..

24. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM

For you NatsLady.. from Jonah Keri @Grantland.."Best of all, new closer Tyler Clippard owns one of the most devastating changeups in the game … and looks a lot like Napoleon Dynamite, 10 years later."

25. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM

OK, I looked it up, but I still don't get the reference. Who is Napoleon Dynamite?

26. CN - May 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

The Napoleon Dynamite comp is a bit of a stretch. Clippard does not have a social disorder. They both obvi wear glasses, but that's prob where the similarities end.

27. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

And Roy Oswalt to the Rangers.

28. CN - May 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

cue the debbie downer .wavdidn't mean to spoil the fun, just standing up for our guy, Clip.

29. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

NatsLady.. It's a movie about a nerdy kid making good.

30. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Isn't the Hallady injury the same as Beast? No joke for a pitcher. I am guessing he was trying to play through it. They must be jumping off the Walt Whitman brige up there.

31. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Just an fyi.. if Mark's twitter feed isn't updating or showing up on this page, here is the link. He has come good stuff about the Solano family.https://twitter.com/#!/MarkZuckermanMark's Twitter account

32. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Swami.. yup sounds the same.. and Beast isn't a pitcher, so you know they are lining up on the bridge

33. CN - May 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Swami,Yep, Morse also has a strained lat, tho there may be several lat muscles, so it may or may not be a specific one. Morse was killing the ball during his rehab, it was always stated that the injury only affected his throwing. Couldn't the Phils use Halladay as a DH during the inter league games?!?

34. natsfan1a - May 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I'm with you on Werth, MicheleS.For NatsLady, a Napoleon Dynamite link. Bonus baseball connection, Pedro Martinez once sported a "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt under his jersey. (Related to the All-Star game, if memory serves.)I don't root for players to be injured or get happy when they are, but for the Phillies generally I will continue to opine "tick tock." :-)On a Natly note: Welcome, Jhonatan! I have fun memories of watching you at the P-Nats. Go, EJax! Go, Corey! Go, NATS!

35. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Seriously, go to Mark's Twitter page, he just posted a pick of the Solano parents in the Nats/Marlins Jersey. Dad looks sharp!

36. CN - May 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I don't think any sane person cheers when a player gets injured. I do think Philly fans should get at least a "How you like them apples…" though. Funny how a city's fans can change your whole perception toward a team. 1) I didn't have the same feeling when Chipper was out (& not b/c this is his last hurrah), 2) I don't dislike the Marlins even tho they've owned the Nats the last few yearsYet, just b/c I have a perception that the Eagles and Phils fans are self-righteous and utterly classless, I really dislike both teams…

37. Ron In Reston - May 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I'm wondering why everyone has his/her knockers in a twist over Sanchez.Game 43 – Doc Halladay, 11-1 vs Nats, Nats win 5-2 in Philly.Game 46 – Tim Hudson, 13-3 vs Nats, Nats win 7-4 in Atlanta.Now it's Game 49…anyone else see the "every-third-game" trend here? I don't care what Sanchez's previous record is against the Nats. THESE AREN'T THOSE NATS, and will show just that tonight. He got a no-decision the last time we faced him, only a Lidge blowup kept him from taking the loss, so there's no reason to fear him.

38. Ron In Reston - May 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yikes, sorry about the typo….should been "knickers"

39. Theophilus T. S. - May 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Re: Worth of Werth Telling B. Harp about the flaw in Hamels motion that let him steal home. Worth about a quarter mil right there.

40. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Ron.. great stuff on the 43/46/49.. Slay the Dragon boys!!!

41. Ron In Reston - May 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Exactly, Theo

42. ExposedinDC - May 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Knickers……knockers…..love this board

43. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Morse Dh-ing tonight – can he even throw at all or are they waiting as long as possible? Seeing Freitas tonight – hopefully he can stay where he is for a long while.

44. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Oh no! – Tracey had surgery today – torn groin muscle – no wonder that looked so painful. That is just terrible news. NO MORE!!!!!!

45. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Mark tweets Tracy out, probably all year.

46. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

OUCH AGAIN!.. Chad Get well soon we need you on the Goon Squad!.. Lord, Hallmark needs to come up with a line of Get Well Cards for the Nats!!!

47. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Gosh, I keep amending my Get Well Card. I may never send it!!!!

48. Steady Eddie - May 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

swami — I would hope that Morse's DHing is meant to prolong his recovery period as long as possible, with him easing back in throwing as much as possible through whatever incremental regime they have him on.The point is not to put his return at risk by having him throw in competitive conditions before it's absolutely necessary. I'd suspect that if he's still DHing by Thursday, we won't see him back with the team until they travel to Boston.

49. David - May 29, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Is this Brown's first start? I feel like last year his 3 AB's in September were all either pinch hits or late inning substitutions.

50. carolync - May 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Horrible, horrible news about Tracy. Surgery and out for the season. I feel really bad for him.We need Morse back and hitting well and LaRoche and Desmond to turn around recent slides. Not sure I agree that Zimmerman is heating up.Come on, guys!

51. JD - May 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Really too bad for Chad. Looks like a real nice guy and was a very effective pinch hitter too. Wow on Halladay. Shoulder injuries are deadly for pitchers and at his age he may never be the same again. Double whammi for the Phills as Oswalt signs with Texas. It looks like they may have to go with: Hammels, Lee, Kendrick, Blanton and Worley. Not that scary anymore. Are they?

52. JD - May 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM

carolync, The numbers say Zim is heating up. He's definitely not tearing it up but he's had several big hits with runners on recently and they weren't bloopers either. When Zim really gets hot he will start hitting for Oppo power. LaRoche is still having unprofessional at bats with lots of walks. His April numbers were a bit out of character with his career numbers so it's not surprising they came sown a bit. He is still doing well enough over all.

53. JD - May 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I meant provisional at bats. for LaRoche. Damn spell check.

54. JD - May 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I am glad Brown is getting a start. Hitting him 7th is the conservative approach not wanting to shake things up too much when the results are good but I would have hit him leadoff.

55. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Maybe Morse will come and PH even if he is not ready for innings in LF. We could use a pinch hitter right about now.Who do we have for first base to back up ALR? Nady?

56. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Well, we got Komatsu back. He'll be going to Syracuse.

57. natsfan1a - May 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Ron In Reston said… Yikes, sorry about the typo….should been "knickers" May 29, 2012 5:15 PM Either way, an uncomfortable situation. :-)That stinks about Chad Tracy, for him and the team. My thanks to him for his performance off the bench this year.

58. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomakFor live updates from Michael Morse's rehab with Single-A Potomac, please give super @WashTimesSports intern @_kellyparsons a follow tonight

59. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I'm late getting in on this, but as usual, I'm with MicheleS. Not all of Werth's accomplishments with this team take place on the field. It's clear he's the clubhouse leader and at least partially responsible for the new winning attitude and the reduction of the Knucklehead Factor.As for dear old Annie-Bell tonight, Bryce Harper doesn't know who Anibel Sanchez is. Corey Brown doesn't know who Anibel Sanchez is. Part of Annie-Bell's 7-0 mark against this team is against the likes of Nyjer Morgan, Lastings "Fly Route" Milledge and FLoP. Those guys thankfully aren't here any longer.GYFNG!!

60. JD - May 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

NatsLady, I have to tell you that I will be very disheartened if Morse can only pinch hit and DH after all this time off.

61. Gonat - May 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM

NatsLady said… Well, we got Komatsu back. He'll be going to Syracuse. May 29, 2012 5:48 PM ___________________________That's actually very good news. The instruction he got from McGwire and the Cardinals and the MLB games he played plus the experience is invaluable. It was a head scratcher that the Cardinals chose him in the first place and as I predicted he would be returned at some point as Rule 5 is stacked against the team that chooses them.Thanks to those teams for picking him and giving him the OJT.

62. natsfan1a - May 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Great pic of Solano's mom and pop, Mark. Thanks to MicheleS for the heads up.

63. JD - May 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Sunshine, Annie-Bell happens to also be a very good pitcher. He's not unbeatable, no one is but he has exceptional stuff and is very hard to hit. I think he's their best pitcher.

64. Water23 - May 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Speaking of rule 5 players – Looks like Brad Meyers is going to the 60 DL and in the end might return to Nats by end of season.The Yankees transferred right-hander Brad Meyers to the 60-day disabled list to create 40-man roster space for Igarashi, who will report to Triple-A.

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

JD, I'm with you on Morse. I thought his throwing program starts on Saturday.

66. sjm308 - May 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM

MicheleS – man did I miss your Whooo Hooos!!!hope to see you Saturday at JustinsI agree totally with you on Werth and had written about chemistry and such both last year and this. It gets pooh poohed alot but as a former coach, I can tell you that I had teams that honestly liked each other and not only were they more fun to coach, they outperformed teams with more talent. I think Werth brought a lot of intangibles which you pointed out.Getting ready for my first pre-game show in over two weeks. Its already after midnight on my European clock but hell with that, its time for baseball!!!Go Nats!!

67. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Actually, I just meant maybe he can get up here sooner if he PH's/DH's for the next three weeks, and then after interleague, goes back to LF. Not that he would be restricted to PH for the rest of the season.

68. NatsLady - May 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Funny stuff in LA. Weaver is on the DL, no he's not, yes he is, no he's not, please disregard previous announcement…

69. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

1a.. personally, think Solano's mom would look totally AWESOME in a red Curly W jersey or the Alternate Blue with patriotic Curly W, but mom's can't play favorites.

70. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM

At the baby nats game-it's crickets here. At concessions everyone is buzzing about Tracy. Not much going on yet.

71. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Byron Kerr just tweeted that Matt Purke will pitch tomorow night for Hagerstown.

72. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Swami. Heads UP. Storm is coming in your direction. Should be there no later than 8 pm

73. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Apparently it's batman night?

74. SFNats - May 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

JD said…Annie-Bell happens to also be a very good pitcher. He's not unbeatable, no one is but he has exceptional stuff and is very hard to hit. I think he's their best pitcher.———————————Which means he'd be the Nat's 5th starter. Okay, maybe 4th.

75. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM

God.. I miss BEAST! From the PNATs Twitter:Tim Swartz‏@TimSwartzMichael Morse signing autographs in the stands. Never seen that before a game. Really awesome.

76. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Walked. Anthem made my ears bleed nats lady. No one here.

77. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM

smile is still the same!

78. Gonat - May 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Funny watching Corey Brown to Desmond introducing himself on that fly out that Desmond was tracking "I'm Corey"

79. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I am so glad we intentionally Votto'ed Stanton.

80. Gonat - May 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Game of inches. Good play by Lombo!

81. Candide - May 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Home plate ump seems to really be squeezing Jackson.

82. NatsJack in Florida - May 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Man. Did the ball find the rookies that inning or what?

83. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Ex Nat's news.. Looks like Marquis will be a Padre..

84. ehay2k - May 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Tough news about Tracy. Hope he heals quickly and fully. Now we have another opportunity for a Baby Nat to step up.

85. ehay2k - May 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Look at Desi take pitches!

86. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Ehay2k.. Lets Hope the Baby Nat coming is BEAST!

87. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Girls softball team here chanting. Minor league ball. Baby nats winning! Cheer for the nats for me, I think byron Kerr is here.

88. Will - May 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Oh my god… I'm watching the free broadcast on MLB.tv, and the Marlins announcers are dreadful. I don't get many chances to watch Nats game, but they're making me reconsider watching the rest of this game.

89. Gonat - May 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Anibel unfair to C. Brown

90. Candide - May 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Cunegonde and I heard the first few innings of the Sirius/XM broadcast yesterday on the way home from NJ. Marlins' radio guy is good; the only hint that he was a Miami local was his referring to the Marlins players by their first names. Called the game crisp and clean and straight.

91. Will - May 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM

They just spent 3 minutes talking about how they mark down strike outs looking while keeping score. One guy said he doesn't do a backwards 'K' because he cannot write them backwards. Instead he puts an 'L' next to the 'K'. There was no play-by-play during this conversation.*facepalm*

92. baseballswami - May 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Struck out but the base runner stole second and third during the at bat. He took pitches and fouled some off.

93. djinFl. - May 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM

@ WillWith mlb extra innings we always get the home crew. We do laugh when Nats fans complain about Carp or FP because this Marlins crew is very typical of most crews.

94. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Swami.. rain is coming and there is more yellow than green on the radar.. take cover

95. Gonat - May 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

@kjohnsoncsn: When does Beast start playing the field?@ kjohnsoncsn: he'll make another start Weds & hopes to play some outfield

96. MicheleS - May 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Got to give it to Edwin. He is doing really well tonight

97. Will - May 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

AGGGHH! They just read a letter from a 75 year old Marlins fan, who described how much s/he liked the new stadium and how parking was only $15. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS?!I wish I were making this stuff up! I'm not sure I can take much more of this.

98. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Will. .in vest in game day audio.. at least you can hear Charlie and Dave.

99. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Does EJax throw a 2 seam?

100. NatsNut - May 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM

On the topic of announcer appreciation, I had the chance to listen to a couple of Yankees radio announcers Friday night and they made me appreciate Charlie and Dave that much more. The woman would make mindless, meaningless observations (similar to the infuriating happy chat you see on news shows these days), like she was just filling air instead of painting the picture for the listener. And both announcers were a little dismissive and insulting of the As, who the Yanks were playing. Charlie and Dave mention weaknesses of players, Nats and opponents, in a way that's respectful and positive. I hope they never leave.

101. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

6 fastballs all 92 to 94. No changeups or sliders. Strange. End result was fine. Harmless flyout.

102. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Me too, NatsNut. C&D are a treasure, always informative, always a treat, occasionally hilarious.

103. djinFl. - May 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

@MicheleSWe are suffering along with WillWe got Game Day but the audio to video is so far off it is unbearable. Charlie has called the play before you see the pitch. We figured the audio was sent directly while the video went around the earth the long way before arriving.

104. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX JINX

105. JaneB - May 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

On announcer appreciation — just read a sweet piece in a recent SI (I'm behind….what can I say?) about the death of the BosSox announcer and the announce-less, silent game. Made me cry. Told about how the Yankees announcer for years made less per game than it cost to commute to the stadium. It made me appreciate Jerome even more.I am jonesing for some live baseball in my own darn park, though.

106. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

You would think that with all the improvements in Technology, MLB would let you choose the feed you can watch.

107. baseballswami - May 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

MicheleS – You did it!!!!!

108. NatsLady - May 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

MicheleS: it does. On audio you can choose home or away. Same on MLB.tv.

109. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Typical Ankiel with no out and man on 3rd. K

110. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Sometimes I don't know my own powers.

111. NatsLady - May 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Usually on audio you can choose Spanish also.

112. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

YES! Suicide Squeeze!! PERFECT!

113. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Nice going, kid.

114. NatsLady - May 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WE GOT THE Suicide SQUEEZE.

115. Fear and Ignorance - May 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Thank you Davey!!! Keep doing it!!!

116. ehay2k - May 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Who is this Desmond kid they called up? Seems like he might stick around the way he plays. :-D

117. Candide - May 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

SQUEEET!

118. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Glad Corey knew the bunt sign! What a play!!!!

119. baseballswami - May 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Baby Nats report – Bloxom and Freitas both good looking little players. Good situational hitting. Morse – big guy, big swing, bigger smile. Big, bad clouds.

120. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

That could have been a disaster!

121. ehay2k - May 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Wait, I thought Davey hates small ball, especially bunting, and very especially squeezes?

122. NatsLady - May 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

That's interesting. Nats 11 over .500 when they score first, 10 over .500 altogether. The guys know how to come from behind! But I LOVE scoring first off Annie Bell.

123. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM

So showing the pictures of Roy H's perfecto.. Is that rubbing it in to Philly fans that he won't be there any more?

124. Candide - May 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Carp and FP talking about the turf in Miami. First coupla flies to Brown, I noticed LF looks like hell, like the Dolphins had played there yesterday.

125. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Davey surprises again with smart ball. I guess he figured with Maldanado on deck he would roll the dice for a run.Glad he did it. That will stick in team's minds for a long time. May get you a pitchout a few times.

126. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

@Candide: They are having trouble growing grass inside this monstrosity, a la the Astrodome in 1964. Seems they keep the roof covered nearly all the time and there's not enough light to grow the stuff. Great. A ballpark with marlins, tuna, dancing girls and a partridge in a pear tree … but no real grass. Take a bow, fellas.

127. Candide - May 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Gio grinning at Jackson after his fly-out.

128. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Bam Bam

129. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Way to go, Other Kid.

130. Candide - May 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Okay, Zimm, show us why you make $100 mill.Dang – I thought he got it all.

131. Drew - May 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Harper has twice as many triples as the Face has homers.

132. Fear and Ignorance - May 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Bryce is the Face!!! Strasburg is the other Face!!!

133. baseballswami - May 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Nasty weather in woodbridge – thanks to micheles for the warning well in advance. Go Nats!

134. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Shout out to Chase for finding this:Chase Hughes‏@chasehughesBryce Harper is actually second in the N.L. with four triples, third in the majors. #Nats

135. ehay2k - May 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Whew! That was tooooo close.

136. Candide - May 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Trying to think the last time I saw Desmond kick a grounder or bobble it. He's looking real comfortable these days at short.

137. ehay2k - May 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Crazy ballpark indeed! Did you see that building slide over and stop Ankiel's throw from going into the dugout?Oh, wait,that was Maldonado? Never mind.

138. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

EJax just looked tentative on that pitch. What's wrong with away, away, away and make him chase with 2 bases open?

139. Drew - May 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Rookie record for triples: 27Jimmie Williams, Pittsburgh, 1899.Why let Stanton do damage? Walk him.

140. Exposremains - May 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

why you pitch to Stanton? Makes no sense.

141. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I wish we had Votto'ed Stanton.

142. Marty - May 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

FP says Chad Tracy will be back in 6 weeks (via on air text…)

143. mick - May 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

that's good news on Tracy, 6 weeks not the season. Also, has it been 2 weeks since LaRoche has gotten a hot, man has he cooled off.

144. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Good to hear about Chad! We should see him after the all star break then

145. mick - May 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I meant hit

146. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Who wrote on a website that Tracy would be out for the season? If you listen to what FP said, back in 6 weeks!Could he be talking about this:‏@MarkZuckerman Davey: Chad Tracy had surgery today for a torn groin muscle. Could be out for season.

147. mick - May 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Edwin has been great , Ankiel just SUCKS at the plate, he hits like a wuss!

148. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Ankiel with another garbage at-bat. DOUBLEPLAY

149. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

In fact Ankiel and Espinoza's at bats yesterday were pathetic!!!

150. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I am so done with Ankiel, however, I know we need him until we get some healthy people back

151. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Edwin Jackson deserves more run support

152. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Can the Nats order an Ankiel special here, as in the inning ending doubleplay ball?

153. Fear and Ignorance - May 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM

LaRoche has lost 50 points off of his average in 10 days and Zimmerman is slugging .358. If it weren't for Harper and Desmond, this team would be 10-20 over their last 30 games rather than 15-15. Time for #3 and #4 to play like it.

154. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I just praised Jackson and he make s dumb ass throw!

155. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM

That run is on you STUPID!!!!

156. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Mick – Jordan Zimmermann has deserved run support and he's been here a lot longer than EJax.Let's just say they both do.

157. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I agree Gonat

158. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Really strong throw from Corey Brown. A slower runner would have been dead—-like last night.

159. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Mick.. deep breathing helps. (and a Corona or two)

160. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:12 AM

have not seen Mets lately, but its clear, that Marlins are better than Braves and Phillies and probably us

161. Fear and Ignorance - May 30, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Edwin Jackson-Way to ruin a great game with 1 stupid play. Some players just don't know how to win!!!

162. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I like Corey Brown, great sac bunt and plays outfield well. Michele, im drinking as I type, lol

163. Drew - May 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM

That was a nice throw by Brown.

164. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM

we need more than 1 run period, yes Edwin made a bad throw but he still pitched well, I hope McCatty and davey kick his ass for that throw

165. djinFl. - May 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Mick maybe you should have one less per game than what ever number you just finished. It had been an enjoyable night here until 8:58 when you arrived.

166. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Zim had a chance with Harper on 3rd and Ankiel did last inning with 1 out and Desi on 1st.Need to work some runners on any way they can.

167. baseballswami - May 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Mick – the Marlins happen to be red hot right now. We caught the Braves when their pants were down. The NL East is probably going to be tight the entire season with the standings changing daily. It's going to be a battle with no one team staying hot. It will depend on when we play each other. My prediction is that all five teams will beat up on those teams outside the NLEast and inside we will all beat up each other in different series. I also predict 3 teams from the NL east in the playoffs. An outside team will be the Dodgers. The Marlins are looking to break a record for wins in May and Giancarlo is on fire. Bad timing for us. At least we got to the Phils and Braves.

168. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM

What is Davey doing with the Lineup.. Nady for Brown, now Espi for Bernie? hmm Is LaRussa managing this team?

169. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Come on Espi!!!

170. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Walking Espi on 4 pitches? Really?

171. waddu eye no - May 30, 2012 at 1:26 AM

oboy. come on lombo and bryce!

172. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Mick.. it's okay.. sometimes you just have to vent. Now we can cheer.. 2 on 1 out. with Lombo on! Go LOMBO!!!

173. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Kardiac Kids got the hearts thumping!!!!

174. Marty - May 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Sometimes it feels nice to get another teams Henry for an inning :)

175. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Mick.. you will be happy to know that Henry is has passed his wildness onto this Marlins Pitcher.

176. ehay2k - May 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Well, tonight's game is certainly not lacking for drama!

177. Candide - May 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Do it, BamBam!

178. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Cishek is pulling an MPH Rod!!

179. Drew - May 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Dang, he got two good pitches to hit.

180. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:32 AM

SBCITPFM, trying to pull a HRod. Bryce helped him some.

181. ehay2k - May 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM

History repeats itself. Runner on third with less than two outs, struggling pitcher, no one scores.

182. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I'm telling you again, its on the offense. Multiple chances in the heart of the order and to come up empty is just beyond pathetic.

183. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM

That was a rare bad AB by Bam Bam.. Face didn't help.. elevate the ball to the OF boys…

184. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM

that was terrible! Bryce was too excited, and Zim just hits too many ground balls with men in scoring position. terrible terrible, against a really bad pitcher

185. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM

OK, that was on the pitching

186. Candide - May 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Stammen is done and so am I.

187. baseballswami - May 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM

This looks like the nats of a few weeks ago. The opposite of clutch. Another Nats starting pitcher battles and gets no run support. That inning was perfectly set up for runs, wild pitching, the "right" hitters up for us. Epic fail. Stammen gave up a home run? Is that the first? I am sure that the Nats will be thrilled to come home to DC on Friday. They even have the day off Thursday. Need to salvage a game tomorrow.

188. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Goes back to the theory of Stammen coming out for his 2nd inning of work…

189. Exposremains - May 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Typical Marlins-Nats game. Nats take the lead. Marlins catch up. Nats miss many opportunities.Marlins answer by putting the game out of hand. Nats fail in big spots. Marlins thrive in big spots.

190. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:40 AM

looks like the Nats of 100 losses

191. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:40 AM

baseballswami said… Need to salvage a game tomorrow. May 29, 2012 9:38 PM ___________________________Its a 3-1 game. Nats need 2 to tie and 3 to win. What's wrong with you all?

192. ehay2k - May 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Seems like whenever we put in a reliever for the final out of an inning, then have him come back for the next inning, he gets rocked. It's like they don't get enough pitches in to stay loose. I have no stats to back this up, but it seems to me to be a recurring theme.

193. Fear and Ignorance - May 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Game over!!! More clutch hitting from Zimmerman. Can the Nats get a refund on that contract??? And btw…looks like NatsJack is getting a front row seat to the Hanley show…you know the guy he said is much worse than Zimmerman about 10 times earlier this year. I thought the Marlins were supposed to implode also??? Still waiting.

194. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Gonat, our 2nd and 3rd hitters could not get it done, LaRoche has not gotten a hit in a month, game over

195. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Fear and Ignorance, i agree. I am so sick of watching Zim hit into double plays or a lame weak ground ball with men on base.

196. baseballswami - May 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Sorry Gonat — we fans need to hustle all the way to the end of the game, too. You were right to call me out on it. Go Nats!!! So Stammen is mortal? Who knew?

197. mick - May 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Marlins are very good and Ozzie has them playing his style of ball which is aggressive and in your face.

198. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Wait.. JZ or Stras can hit in the 9th!!! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO.. LETS GO NATS!!!!

199. Gonat - May 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM

baseballswami, Stammen has not been good when he comes out for his 2nd inning of work. He didn't throw much the inning before so not a good excuse. He missed down and in to middle of the plate and in.

200. MicheleS - May 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM

And for you younsters out there.. See Animal House for the Germans/Pearl Harbor reference ( or go to a game and watch the scoreboard)