May 29, 2012, 10:38 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Chad Tracy leads the major leagues with nine pinch-hit RBI.
MIAMI — They've already lost, at various points this season, their starting catcher, first baseman, third baseman, left fielder, right fielder, fifth starter, closer, backup closer, backup catcher, third-string catcher and utilityman. Now the Nationals can add their top pinch-hitter to their never-ending list of injured players.
Chad Tracy will have surgery Thursday to repair a torn groin muscle, the club announced this evening, the latest crushing blow to a Nationals team that somehow remains in first place despite the injuries.
"I've never seen anything like it," manager Davey Johnson said. "It's kind of weird. But that's a tribute to the makeup of this ballclub and this organization. There's a lot of capable guys that we're going give an opportunity, and the're going to run with it."
Tracy will miss at least six-to-eight weeks, perhaps more, while recovering from surgery to repair a tear in the same area he wasRead more »
ON THE RADIO
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect