Game 50: Nats at Marlins

May 30, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It was pouring inside Marlins Park this afternoon.

MIAMI — It's been eight months since Chien-Ming Wang last started a game for the Nationals, a 4-3 victory over the Braves in which the veteran right-hander allowed just one run over six innings. The Nats re-signed Wang for $4 million shortly after the season ended and expected him to open 2012 in their starting rotation.

Then Wang suffered a scary-looking hamstring injury during spring training, and those plans had to be revised. He finally returned from the disabled list last week in Philadelphia, made a long relief appearance Friday in Atlanta and tonight will make his much anticipated first start of the season in Miami.

Wang will be opposed by Josh Johnson, the designated ace of the Marlins staff who has pitched like anything but an ace so far this year (2-3, 4.87 ERA). On the other hand, Johnson has never lost to the Nationals in 14 career starts (7-0, 3.14 ERA).

Meanwhile, one night after doubling in his first career at-bat, Jhonatan Solano makes his debut behind the plate. Sadly, brother Donovan is not in Miami's lineup. Updates and analysis to come from Marlins Park (where it's currently pouring, with the roof wide open)…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Indoors

LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. joemktg - May 31, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Seriously, what was Reyes thinking? Just arrogant.

2. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 31, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Michele, call it a wash?

3. MicheleS - May 31, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Sofa.. Yup…Anyway we can get Mark to leave the press box so we can score some runs?

4. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 1:26 AM

MicheleS said… So Gonat.. what you are saying is things could be worse. Right? May 30, 2012 9:21 PM ____________________________Oh yes. I don't even think the offensive minded Rangers can come back from that deficit.

5. ehay2k - May 31, 2012 at 1:26 AM

In was worried about how Detwiler would handle moving to the bullpen, but I think he will actually hone his game there. The pick-off of Reyes was sweet.

6. Fear and Ignorance - May 31, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Anybody else missing John Lannan??? I know I am!!! Why do Detwiler and Wang get the chance to fail before a guy who has proven to be an effective starter the last three years? Neither Wang nor Detwiler has proven anything. You may not like Lannan and his walks, but he made it through 6 innings or more with 3 runs or less 17 times last year and made it through 5 innings with 2 runs or less 7 times. That is 24 solid starts out of 33. Of the other 9 starts, 3 of the bad ones were against the Phillies, 2 were in April last year and 1 was when he got drilled in the head by the line drive. The other guys needed to beat him out (in the regular season)…not the other way around!!! I am so sick of hearing about the potential of Detwiler and Wang!!!

7. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I like that bunt from Bernadina with the bunt off of the plate. Usually is a single.

8. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Solano is thrilled to be in the Majors, but what really makes him happy is, he doesn't have to do it in that Marlins catchers gear Buck is sporting.

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 31, 2012 at 1:32 AM

F&I, you won't get disagreement from me. I was clearly on record in support of Lannan and went up against the FIP Anon aka Peric.

10. MicheleS - May 31, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Dang.. Solano did it again…

11. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 1:37 AM

This Solano kid is special. Has no chance unless that throw is on the bag. Unreal.

12. Swift Eagle - May 31, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Great throw….easy with the Pudge comparisons FP…

13. Smatt1001 - May 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Another laser from Solano!! Too bad Stanton then launches one…

14. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Then you come back with the WRONG pitch selection. What are you all thinking? Away, away, away.

15. Exposremains - May 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM

swift eagle. on Marlins broadcast they also compared solano to Pudge

16. MicheleS - May 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Let's see, Matt Kemp, Andrew McCutchen, Votto, and Giancarlo.. All should be IBB for the rest of the season. Thankfully we don't see the Pirates or the Reds again…

17. Exposremains - May 31, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Who here would switch Perry for Maya?

18. mick - May 31, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Why Perry, bad move Davey, this guy is horrible. bum! I guess Davey can have a coaching night too and this was it.Solano is impressive. After 50 games, I think Wang needs 2-3 more starts, if he does not improve it is clear we need a 5th starter. I am done with Detweiler as starter, it is Wang or back to the drawing board.

19. Drew - May 31, 2012 at 1:40 AM

For God's sake! Morrison's hitting about .233.Why are you pitching to Stanton? Why?If you burn your hand, stop touching the bleeping stove!

20. MicheleS - May 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Expos.. Perry goes right back to AAA when Lidge comes back.. BTW.. where is Lidge? Seriously, hurry up and get healed.Also.. Beast is raking in Potomac.. sadly not in Miami.

21. Swift Eagle - May 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM

If Solano=Pudge, then Stanton must = Babe Ruth

22. mick - May 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I was done with Perry 3 weeks ago when he pitched at home against Philly. He would have fit in well with the losing clubs that lost100 games yearly.

23. ehay2k - May 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Sigh, Hanley always hits us, as do'all'the fish. It's as if they scout our pitchers, instruct the hitters to have a plan at the plate, then execute it. Must be some awesome magic they use.

24. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Mick, its either Henry or Perry. Pick your poison. That ball should have been off the plate. Perry doesn't have the stuff to get Stanton. As they say, first base is open, don't give in to him.

25. Bzl. - May 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Appears that there is a new Florida House of Horrors. Great.

26. JaneB - May 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Gosh darn it. I want a Giancarlo Stanton for our very own.

27. mick - May 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Perry can't even pitch single a ball, truly one of the worst pitchers i have ever seen!

28. MicheleS - May 31, 2012 at 1:43 AM

JaneB.. his name is Michael Morse and he arrives this weekend.

29. Swift Eagle - May 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM

JaneB, any of our guys have a cooler first name we don't know about?? Don Juan Zimmerman maybe?

30. MicheleS - May 31, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Swift..how about Jhonatan Solano

31. JaneB - May 31, 2012 at 1:45 AM

LOL!

32. mick - May 31, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Gonat, how about Burnett, i know he is southpaw, but i have more confidence in him than either Henry or Perry. Having said that, i would take Henry over Perry anytime, and that is sadwe should be hitting Jackson, this is just a bad series, everyone stunk including the coaching. Solano and Lombo are the only ones who played well, the rest were awful

33. Exposremains - May 31, 2012 at 1:47 AM

the one thing about lidge, everybody talks about him like he was amazing. The only things he accomplished this year was being named the co-closer and blowing 2 out 4 saves.

34. mick - May 31, 2012 at 1:50 AM

series contending teams do not have to win every series, but they should win at least 1 game, 30-20 would have been nice 29-21 just seems soiled

35. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 1:51 AM

mick, good point. The thing is that these guys have to do their job. Obviously Perry is back to AAA when Lidge is ready and hopefully Henry gets traded when Storen is ready to come back.

36. Drew - May 31, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I hope that's The Last of the Mujicas.

37. JaneB - May 31, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Just saw a Curlie W in the lobby of this hotel in San Diego. Former Expos follower current Nats fan, daily reader of Insider JackP says hi. Wants a woohoo from michelleS. But our guys have to give her a reason for it.

38. SCNatsFan - May 31, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Fish are our kryptonite. Posted it two days ago and was told we were 2-0 against them. I stand by my original statement.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2012 at 1:54 AM

If this game doesn't look like nats circa 2009 and 2010. Get an early lead. Starting pitchers screws up and gives up lead. Hitters quit after the 4th inning. Though Harper hit two hard ones. Maybe they can do something in the 9thm but they sure looked like they took the rest of the night off after getting ahead 3-1 to me.

40. Swift Eagle - May 31, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Awesome Drew, just awesome…And Solano's first name is def cool….Hang in there True Believers, it's going to be fun to have a rival to to overcome..Marlins are the better team today, but maybe not by the end of the year

41. MicheleS - May 31, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Didn't say Lidge was better, that he was just what was coming to replace Perry.Anyone reading the lips of McCatty? I think there has been a few bad words with the walks tonight.

42. Swift Eagle - May 31, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Perry belongs on that list Mark used to have of guys who played their last MLB game w/the Nats…

43. baseballswami - May 31, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Seems like every time this team loses a key player ( Werth, Ramos) they go into a funk or adjustment period. No Tracy or JFlo this series. Hot in Hotlanta – Ice cold in Miami. I hate the fish, I hate their ugly new park, I hate Hanley and Reyes and Ozzie and the Fish in general. Nats come home – Morse join them — all of the rest of you, get well and come home,too. Do baseball teams have homecomings? Maybe we need to have one later this season. Silver lining – Bryce is always exciting, and Solano looks to be a special player. The young guys are fun to watch.

44. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Desi with a Web Gem there!

45. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 2:06 AM

2 days of luck from Bell hopefully ends tonight. I will say it again, Heath Bell sucked before the Nats series and Ankiel in the 1st game of the series gave him confidence after he couldn't find the strike zone and Ankiel swung and missed at 2 balls well out of the strike zone.

46. Fear and Ignorance - May 31, 2012 at 2:09 AM

SteveM-It's funny I made that same argument about 2 months ago and about 25 people jumped down my throat about how horrible Lannan was as a major league pitcher, especially Peric. However, I actually tend to agree with Peric on most everything else (except for the value of some of our "prospects"), but on this one, I definitely disagree. I think it was Earl Weaver that said, "all of that potential is what is going to get me fired."

47. SCNatsFan - May 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I love Danny's power but God I wish he'd stop striking out so much

48. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Danny back to swing & miss. FP says he shortened his swing. I'm still laughing.

49. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Was hoping Bernie was pumping on 3-0

50. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Hoye lost his mind in this inning. Called a strike 2 balls off the plate against Desi and again against Bernie.

51. UnkyD - May 31, 2012 at 2:14 AM

….Ankiel….Really?

52. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Maybe Ankiel can pull a Chad Tracy

53. JaneB - May 31, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Sorry Expos. You were right. Darn it.My take on the night is I still believe in Danny. I got to hear the last out of the 8th. He is doing better these days offensively, and he is terrific defensively. And also: why do we pitch to the guys who kill us? I don't get it. If WE see it coming, why doesn't Davey? Is it an honor thing? I must be missing something here.And finally, we get Morse back next game. Hurrah!

54. Smatt1001 - May 31, 2012 at 2:16 AM

And the Fish still haunt us. Time to bounce back over the weekend.

55. UnkyD - May 31, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Gnite, all…

56. SCNatsFan - May 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Please don't tell me the other strikeout machine just looked at strike three

57. rogieshan - May 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Please split up Desmond & Espinosa in the batting order. They are a rally-killing duo going back-to-back.

58. Gonat - May 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Ankiel. OMG. Davey Johnson brings in his secret weapon. Have to protect in 1-2. Would you expect anything different.Who will Davey blame this game? Wang for a horrible 4th inning? Perry for a lousy pitch to Stanton?

59. ehay2k - May 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Pretty wide strike zone there. Time to come home, rest, and beat the Barves. The Marlins' overused BP will take care of itself.

60. rogieshan - May 31, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I loathe the Marlins so much it hurts.

61. mick - May 31, 2012 at 2:19 AM

unacceptable at bat, at least swing Rick Ankiel

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM

0 for 3 again with RISP in the 9th. I know you guys won't blame Eck, but he is the common donomnator with this crappy hitting approach. That is at least two guys now who have decided to let the game end on a ll called strike. TO me the worse thing you can do as a hitter.The catcher could have not done any worse.My real complaint though is in our first 18 losses did we have any that we were winning, and the starters let the other team catch up, or were all losses by starters before this they were behind anyway?This is three straight that the starters were gicen leads and kindly said, "No thank you we don't care to keep the lead we will throw the ball where it hangs and they can bag." Once given the lead the starter has it easy. Just pitch like you did before you had the lead.Granted our hitters are the real problem, and it is not being addressed. Looked great in Atlanta, and terrible in Miami. Just like in years past.However we are still in first place despite the pathetic effort of the last three games.Time to straighten up again.

63. mick - May 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I bet solano would have made contact. Ankiel is part of the old culture of losers, I cant wait until we are healthy and he can hit the road. Straight fast ball middle of the plate and he does not even swing… a loser

64. mick - May 31, 2012 at 2:22 AM

you can tell that Danny Espi is not a prime time hitter and never will be.

65. mick - May 31, 2012 at 2:25 AM

we may be the O's of the National league. look at how the Marlins started, they have a great manager in Ozzie who plays aggressive players with a swagger and responded by going 21-8 in May. It seems like we have to many wimps in our line up and once they start losing it becomes contagious. Bryce Harper is the exception, he at least goes down swinging and he swings hard

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 31, 2012 at 2:39 AM

We were 1 for 7 in RISP. that makes us 2 for 19 for the series. I know if the people I am responsible for performe their jobs as poorly as that (and for the season now below .225), I would be canned.Noticed that the Angels have started hitting the cover off the ball since they fired their hitting coach and got a new one. I say it is worth a shot, as I ahve not seen him alk to one batter during a game yet (granted they don't show the dugout much, but when they do he is just writing in his notebook. What's the point nothing changes).