May 31, 2012, 2:16 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Chien-Ming Wang was knocked out in the bottom of the fifth.
Game in a nutshell: Needing a big performance from Chien-Ming Wang to avoid a sweep at the hands of the Marlins, the Nationals instead got a ragged outing from the veteran right-hander in his first start of the season. Wang allowed 12 of the 22 batters he faced to reach safely and couldn't even record an out in the fifth before Ross Detwiler had to bail him out from the bullpen. That rough outing wasted some early production from the Nationals' lineup, which had taken a 3-1 lead on Josh Johnson in the top of the fourth. That unit, though, turned stone-cold silent the rest of the night, unable to rally and avoid a sweep at the hands of the Marlins, who now sit a mere 1/2-game behind the Nats in the NL East standings.
Hitting highlight: Slowly but surely, Danny Espinosa appears to be getting on track at the plate. Thanks in part to some advice from Davey Johnson, Espinosa now has multi-hit games in four of his last nine starts. He tripled to lead off the second inning tonight, nearly sending the ball over the very deep and very high fence in center field. Then he laced an RBI single in the fourth, adding to a solid evening for theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard