Jun 3, 2012, 3:35 PM EST
Updated at 12:37 p.m.
Gonzalez's contract was officially purchased this morning, with Perry optioned back to Class AAA. To make room for Gonzalez on the 40-man roster, the Nationals transferred closer Drew Storen from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL. That procedural move is retroactive to Opening Day and won't prevent Storen from returning from his elbow injury, likely in early July.
Gonzalez, 34, signed a minor-league deal with the Nationals last month and reported to extended spring training to work back into shape after undergoing knee surgery during the offseason. He joined the roster at Syracuse last week and made one appearance for the Chiefs, tossing 1 1/3 scoreless innings Friday night at Indianapolis.
"We gave him three weeks [in Florida] to stretch his arm out, to get his velocity back, to get a feel for his breaking pitch," general managerRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair