Jun 3, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Updated at 12:37 p.m.
Gonzalez's contract was officially purchased this morning, with Perry optioned back to Class AAA. To make room for Gonzalez on the 40-man roster, the Nationals transferred closer Drew Storen from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL. That procedural move is retroactive to Opening Day and won't prevent Storen from returning from his elbow injury, likely in early July.
Gonzalez, 34, signed a minor-league deal with the Nationals last month and reported to extended spring training to work back into shape after undergoing knee surgery during the offseason. He joined the roster at Syracuse last week and made one appearance for the Chiefs, tossing 1 1/3 scoreless innings Friday night at Indianapolis.
"We gave him three weeks [in Florida] to stretch his arm out, to get his velocity back, to get a feel for his breaking pitch," general managerRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey
- Bryce Harper leaves game with 'left glute tightness'
- Zuckerman on criticism of Nationals, Harper's MVP hopes
- Strasburg won't make scheduled start Friday
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats