Jun 5, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Unlike in recent seasons when they were awarded several compensation picks to go along with their first-round selection, the Nationals’ scouting department had plenty of time last night and this morning to sit around and wait during the second phase of the MLB draft.
After taking left-hander Lucas Giolito with the 16th overall pick last night, the Nationals weren’t on the clock again until the 80th pick came up this afternoon. Whether they managed to dig up any diamonds in the rough remains to be seen, though they like the two players they took in the second and third rounds: Cal second baseman Tony Renda and Stanford left-hander Brett Mooneyham.
My colleague Chase Hughes has been following day 2 of the draft on CSNwashington.com and will continue to update the Nats’ selections through the evening.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase