Jun 5, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
Unlike in recent seasons when they were awarded several compensation picks to go along with their first-round selection, the Nationals’ scouting department had plenty of time last night and this morning to sit around and wait during the second phase of the MLB draft.
After taking left-hander Lucas Giolito with the 16th overall pick last night, the Nationals weren’t on the clock again until the 80th pick came up this afternoon. Whether they managed to dig up any diamonds in the rough remains to be seen, though they like the two players they took in the second and third rounds: Cal second baseman Tony Renda and Stanford left-hander Brett Mooneyham.
My colleague Chase Hughes has been following day 2 of the draft on CSNwashington.com and will continue to update the Nats’ selections through the evening.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?