Jun 5, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Unlike in recent seasons when they were awarded several compensation picks to go along with their first-round selection, the Nationals’ scouting department had plenty of time last night and this morning to sit around and wait during the second phase of the MLB draft.
After taking left-hander Lucas Giolito with the 16th overall pick last night, the Nationals weren’t on the clock again until the 80th pick came up this afternoon. Whether they managed to dig up any diamonds in the rough remains to be seen, though they like the two players they took in the second and third rounds: Cal second baseman Tony Renda and Stanford left-hander Brett Mooneyham.
My colleague Chase Hughes has been following day 2 of the draft on CSNwashington.com and will continue to update the Nats’ selections through the evening.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats cut two more, reducing healthy roster to 27
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee