Jun 5, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Unlike in recent seasons when they were awarded several compensation picks to go along with their first-round selection, the Nationals’ scouting department had plenty of time last night and this morning to sit around and wait during the second phase of the MLB draft.
After taking left-hander Lucas Giolito with the 16th overall pick last night, the Nationals weren’t on the clock again until the 80th pick came up this afternoon. Whether they managed to dig up any diamonds in the rough remains to be seen, though they like the two players they took in the second and third rounds: Cal second baseman Tony Renda and Stanford left-hander Brett Mooneyham.
My colleague Chase Hughes has been following day 2 of the draft on CSNwashington.com and will continue to update the Nats’ selections through the evening.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip