Jun 5, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
For a 17-year-old who just finished high school last week, Lucas Giolito comes across as extremely bright and well-spoken. It certainly can't hurt that the Nationals' first-round draft pick comes from a family used to being in the spotlight (his mother, Lindsay Frost, has appeared in dozens of TV shows; his uncle, Mark Frost, co-created the series Twin Peaks; and his grandfather, Warren Frost, played George Costanza's would-be father-in-law on Seinfeld (had George's fiance, of course, not died from licking too many toxic wedding invitation envelopes).
If nothing else, Giolito seemed at ease speaking to baseball writers on a conference call a few minutes ago … at least, during the parts where the phone connection was clear. He expressed confidence that his strained elbow isn't an issue, expressed surprise and elation that he was drafted by the Nationals and said he tries to emulate Justin Verlander and Stephen Strasburg.
Here are some highlights from the right-hander's session with us…
Q: How are you doing health-wise, and what can do currently do?
"I've had some of the best doctors around treat me, and I'm feeling really good. I'm confident this issue is behind me. I'm been throwing on flat ground, I've been getting it out really far, so far I'm around 280-300 feet long-toss, and then I come back in. I'm throwing pretty hard fromRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister's rough inning leads to Nats' 4-1 loss to Braves
- New President makes Nationals race debut
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?