Jun 5, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
For a 17-year-old who just finished high school last week, Lucas Giolito comes across as extremely bright and well-spoken. It certainly can't hurt that the Nationals' first-round draft pick comes from a family used to being in the spotlight (his mother, Lindsay Frost, has appeared in dozens of TV shows; his uncle, Mark Frost, co-created the series Twin Peaks; and his grandfather, Warren Frost, played George Costanza's would-be father-in-law on Seinfeld (had George's fiance, of course, not died from licking too many toxic wedding invitation envelopes).
If nothing else, Giolito seemed at ease speaking to baseball writers on a conference call a few minutes ago … at least, during the parts where the phone connection was clear. He expressed confidence that his strained elbow isn't an issue, expressed surprise and elation that he was drafted by the Nationals and said he tries to emulate Justin Verlander and Stephen Strasburg.
Here are some highlights from the right-hander's session with us…
Q: How are you doing health-wise, and what can do currently do?
"I've had some of the best doctors around treat me, and I'm feeling really good. I'm confident this issue is behind me. I'm been throwing on flat ground, I've been getting it out really far, so far I'm around 280-300 feet long-toss, and then I come back in. I'm throwing pretty hard fromRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey