Jun 5, 2012, 12:59 AM EDT
Photo by Eric Dearborn
Lucas Giolito might have been the No. 1 pick this year if not for injury concerns.
Updated at 10:24 p.m.
If healthy, the Nationals believe Lucas Giolito compares favorably to Roy Halladay.
Giolito, however, is not necessarily healthy. A potential No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft, the right-hander from Santa Monica, Calif., saw his stock plummet as questions about the state of his throwing elbow came into question throughout his senior season.
In the end, the Nationals chose potential reward over risk, confident enough in Giolito's arm to make him the 16th overall pick in the country Monday night.
"A top-of-the-rotation guy that you can get at 16?" assistant general manager Roy Clark said. "Our doctor reports were [that] everything's fine. It was a no-brainer for us."
It may have been a no-brainer for the Nationals, but those injury concerns were enough to scare off 15 other clubs who had theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies