Jun 6, 2012, 3:21 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann had two hits to go along with six strong innings on the mound.
Game in a nutshell: In the opener of their latest big series against a division foe, the Nationals found themselves in a wacky, extra-inning thriller. They managed to blow a 3-0 lead when Jordan Zimmermann gave up a pair of sixth-inning homers and then Sean Burnett and Craig Stammen combined to give up a pair of runs in the eighth. Then they stormed back to tie it on Ian Desmond's RBI single. Then they nearly blew it on Henry Rodriguez's ninth wild pitch of the season. They they nearly won it in the bottom of the 10th thanks to some terrible Mets defense, yet could only tie it up and send this one further into the night. Then Scott Hairston's homer off Ross Detwiler (the last man standing in the Nats' bullpen) to lead off the 12th put the Mets in position yet again to win it. Except the Nationals once again had an answer in the bottom of the 12th. Michael Morse and Ian Desmond each doubled to tie it, then Jesus Flores and Detwiler walked to load the bases, then Bryce Harper won it with a base hit to left and put the Nationals in sole possession of first place in the NL East.
Hitting lowlight: Rough night for Rick Ankiel. And he only played four innings. In that span, however, the veteran outfielder popped up aRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats