Jun 7, 2012, 2:52 AM EDT
The Nationals will place catcher Carlos Maldonado on the disabled list with a back injury before Thursday’s game and recalled first baseman/outfielder Tyler Moore from Class AAA Syracuse, manager Davey Johnson said following tonight’s 5-3 win over the Mets.
Maldonado hasn’t appeared in a game since May 29 in Miami and has been experiencing what he referred to as back spasms ever since. The 33-year-old is 0-for-9 with an RBI in four total games since joining the Nationals’ roster three weeks ago after injuries knocked out both Wilson Ramos and Sandy Leon.
Moore returns only one week after he was optioned to Syracuse. The slugger had only three hits in 17 big-league at-bats but picked up right where he left off when he returned to Class AAA, going 9-for-21 with two homers in his first five games back in the minors.
In other injury news, veteran utilityman Mark DeRosa will begin a rehab assignment for Class A Potomac either Thursday or Friday, Johnson said. DeRosa has been out since late April with an oblique strain.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts