Jun 7, 2012, 2:52 AM EST
The Nationals will place catcher Carlos Maldonado on the disabled list with a back injury before Thursday’s game and recalled first baseman/outfielder Tyler Moore from Class AAA Syracuse, manager Davey Johnson said following tonight’s 5-3 win over the Mets.
Maldonado hasn’t appeared in a game since May 29 in Miami and has been experiencing what he referred to as back spasms ever since. The 33-year-old is 0-for-9 with an RBI in four total games since joining the Nationals’ roster three weeks ago after injuries knocked out both Wilson Ramos and Sandy Leon.
Moore returns only one week after he was optioned to Syracuse. The slugger had only three hits in 17 big-league at-bats but picked up right where he left off when he returned to Class AAA, going 9-for-21 with two homers in his first five games back in the minors.
In other injury news, veteran utilityman Mark DeRosa will begin a rehab assignment for Class A Potomac either Thursday or Friday, Johnson said. DeRosa has been out since late April with an oblique strain.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator