Jun 7, 2012, 2:52 AM EDT
The Nationals will place catcher Carlos Maldonado on the disabled list with a back injury before Thursday’s game and recalled first baseman/outfielder Tyler Moore from Class AAA Syracuse, manager Davey Johnson said following tonight’s 5-3 win over the Mets.
Maldonado hasn’t appeared in a game since May 29 in Miami and has been experiencing what he referred to as back spasms ever since. The 33-year-old is 0-for-9 with an RBI in four total games since joining the Nationals’ roster three weeks ago after injuries knocked out both Wilson Ramos and Sandy Leon.
Moore returns only one week after he was optioned to Syracuse. The slugger had only three hits in 17 big-league at-bats but picked up right where he left off when he returned to Class AAA, going 9-for-21 with two homers in his first five games back in the minors.
In other injury news, veteran utilityman Mark DeRosa will begin a rehab assignment for Class A Potomac either Thursday or Friday, Johnson said. DeRosa has been out since late April with an oblique strain.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back