Instant analysis: Nats 7, Red Sox 4

Jun 9, 2012, 2:24 AM EDT

US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper rounds the bases after hitting his sixth career homer in the fourth.

Game in a nutshell: A star-studded team from Washington invaded Fenway Park and overwhelmed the hometown Red Sox and their stunned fans. How incredible is that statement? It's true. Bryce Harper put on a show with three hits, including his sixth career homer. And on the second anniversary of his major-league debut, Stephen Strasburg put forth his most dominant start since that magical night in 2010. Strasburg struck out 13, one shy of the career high he set in his debut. And he uncorked a career-high 119 pitches over six brilliant innings. Throw in some clutch hits from Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa and a Washington baseball club snapped a 10-game losing streak at Fenway. The city's last win here: May 25, 1971, when the Senators won 6-5 in 11 innings.

Hitting highlight: How can you not go with the kid? Harper talked before the game about how psyched he was to stand in the sameRead more ยป

1. MicheleS - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Another win!!! Thank you!!!

2. Drew - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM

(Whew) HOOOO!!

3. Unknown - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Big big big win. Wow.

4. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:36 AM

5. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:40 AM

This is just so excitingMichelleS – don't go getting horse on us with all this Woooo Hoooing!!! Its a marathon not a sprint but it sure is fun to be leading the race!!Think about the inexperience in the outfield in one of the toughest places to play and we did just fine. Also loved Nady's catch and things are just going our way right now. Did not go back to the previous post but I am guessing there are some screaming for Espinosa to never bat left-handed again. I am not smart enough to call for anything but more of what we have been doing this year. Davey really seems to be pulling all the right levers.Go Nats!!!

6. The Natidude - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Two years ago when they drafted Harper to pair with Strasburg we all dreamt of a night like this, when the two of them would dominate. And in one of the great ballparks! What a game. Can't say enough.

7. ehay2k - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Dang you SJM, now I gotta get a cocktail! :-) First win in Fenway ever by the Nats, and first win by a DC team in 41 years? Wow, I'm sure Boz will write about that tomorrow. Great win, Strasburg impresses every time out, and Harper just flat out was born to play baseball. What a night! BTW, I had to step out with the kids to get ice cram, so I paused the game right after Harper's HR. At the local pub we passed, they had the TVs outside showing a soccer game!?! I told them they were missing out on the Nats and that Harper just hit a HR in Fenway Park! When we walked back from ice cream, they still had soccer on all three screens. I'm sure the score ended 0-0 but the blue team probably won on aggregate goals from 1973.

8. DWS - Jun 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM

sjm308. Funny thing, the haters have disappeared..The NESN crew finally admitted that the Nats have a good young team.WooooHooooNot used by the authority of MicheleS. All rights…

9. sjm308 - Jun 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I am really interested in seeing how Gio will pitch with the big wall. I can imagine that Bobby V will stack the lineup with righthanders (except Gonzalez and Ortiz) but I also think Gio's curve will be the neutralizer. We win the first two and things become easier for JZimm.Can't wait to get nervous again around 4 pmGo Nats!!!

10. SonnyG10 - Jun 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Wow, this is high stress for me. Even with a big lead, I still sweated the outcome with Boston's offense and the hitter's park. Our boys were up to the task though. I'll really enjoy the replay now that I know we win. A lot of great plays for us.

11. JaneB - Jun 9, 2012 at 3:17 AM

We can't forget that webgem catch by Nady. Best catch of the year so far! Just stunning. I really think that that catch, robbing them of a homer, made those fans really sit up and take notice, on top of the pitching and the hitting. Plus, Davey's post-game quote about The Kid bunting: "I don't know what Bix of Cracker Jacks he got that out of." It is going down in my book with Pretty Freaking Bueno from Cat.Lidge scared me. Enough said about that.

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 9, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Harper's bunt attempt will bring 3b in more and will create more hits later in the season. GO gio let's get that second one out of the way tomorrow. back to normal, brush off last Sunday's game.

13. Adamnational - Jun 9, 2012 at 3:33 AM

@The Natidude I like your style Dude.

14. NCNatsie - Jun 9, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Both the MASN and MLB TV pitch track machines show the Youkilis strikeout pitch to have been a strike.Some call it borderline. Some call it paint.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2012 at 3:58 AM

NCNatsie, definitely a strike. Not even borderline.

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Right now Scott Boras is smiling about his #1's.

17. baseballswami - Jun 9, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Missed the entire night with a family event. It's recorded – I may just have to stay up and catch some highlights. Pretty sweet. So proud.

18. Gonat - Jun 9, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Here's Strasburg's K chart:http://a.yfrog.com/img256/1943/b9vn.jpg

19. Bigfish - Jun 9, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Check out the standings: the Nats have the second-best record in Major League Baseball. Let's savor that for a while.

20. Scooter - Jun 9, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Well, the pitch to Youkilis was borderline, but the border is a strike.I don't quite understand the few comments about left in Fenway being so hard. Yeah, there's a big wall, but the ground to cover is about six square feet. Yaz was certainly a master. But Manny played there too.

21. Scooter - Jun 9, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Wow, Gonat. Interesting chart. And thanks, Bigfish.

22. Drew - Jun 9, 2012 at 5:13 AM

I imagine Little Gio is looking at these highlights and pawing at the dirt. Who wouldn't want toPlay with these young stars?Meantime, Corey Brown sends Rizzo a nice forget-me-not, a grand salami for his 15th home run.Robbie Ray goes five strong in Potomac to win his third.Alex Meyer has won three straight starts at Hagerstown and lowered his ERA below 3.80. In his last 10 starts his ERA is 3.19.Goodwin, Purke, Rendon, Giolito… This good team is only going to get more exciting.

23. 164abb6e-9075-11e1-aba1-000bcdcb471e - Jun 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM

An immensely satisfying evening.Lidge was worrisome but if he turns out to be ineffective the team has plenty of other options, especially once Storen returns, so it's not the end of the world. The only unfortunate thing was that they had big enough lead that Clippard should have had the night off.But in every other respect, a terrific night.

24. pRAA - Jun 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Yaz was certainly a master. But Manny played there too.You might say Manny really marked his territory there.