Jun 10, 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel, Roger Bernadina and Bryce Harper celebrate their series sweep.
BOSTON — All afternoon he sat in the dugout at Fenway Park, pacing around, chomping on bubble gum, unsure what exactly to do with himself. Bryce Harper has rarely ever found himself out of his team's starting lineup, and Sunday marked the first time at all he was on the Nationals' bench.
"I'm pretty antsy when it comes to sitting," the 19-year-old said. "I don't like doing it. I like to get going and play."
Held out by Davey Johnson for the first time in 38 big-league games due to tightness in his lower back, Harper had convinced his manager he could pinch-hit if needed. So as Sunday's series finale against the Red Sox moved into the latter innings, the rookie went down to the batting tunnel to take some swings and get loose.
And when the top of the ninth inning arrived, the Nationals and Red Sox knotted at 3, who should emerge into the on-deck circle but Harper,Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order