Jun 10, 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel, Roger Bernadina and Bryce Harper celebrate their series sweep.
BOSTON — All afternoon he sat in the dugout at Fenway Park, pacing around, chomping on bubble gum, unsure what exactly to do with himself. Bryce Harper has rarely ever found himself out of his team's starting lineup, and Sunday marked the first time at all he was on the Nationals' bench.
"I'm pretty antsy when it comes to sitting," the 19-year-old said. "I don't like doing it. I like to get going and play."
Held out by Davey Johnson for the first time in 38 big-league games due to tightness in his lower back, Harper had convinced his manager he could pinch-hit if needed. So as Sunday's series finale against the Red Sox moved into the latter innings, the rookie went down to the batting tunnel to take some swings and get loose.
And when the top of the ninth inning arrived, the Nationals and Red Sox knotted at 3, who should emerge into the on-deck circle but Harper,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss