Jun 10, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann allowed three runs over seven innings.
Game in a nutshell: Without Bryce Harper in the starting lineup (held out with tightness in his lower back) the Nationals jumped out to a quick lead thanks to Danny Espinosa's game-opening double off the Green Monster. Their bats went silent after that against Jon Lester, and the Red Sox rallied to take the lead on David Ortiz's fourth-inning homer off Jordan Zimmermann. Espinosa put the Nationals back on top in the top of the seventh, thanks to a 310-foot double that just reached the big Wall in left, only to watch as Zimmermann gave the run right back in the bottom of the inning and leave the game tied. And then who happened to come up to pinch-hit in the top of the ninth and draw a key walk? None other than Harper. Two batters later, Roger Bernadina roped a double down the right-field line and Harper came all the way around to score the run that gave the Nats a 4-3 win and a series sweep at Fenway Park.
Hitting highlight: Harper was none too pleased about being held out of the lineup, but after taking batting practice in the cage pregame, he convinced Davey Johnson he could come off the bench if needed. WasRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence