Game 59: Nats at Blue Jays

Jun 11, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Rogers Centre hosts the Nationals for the next three days.

Not that he didn't probably prove it during his sprint around the bases yesterday to score the winning run at Fenway Park, but if you needed any confirmation of Bryce Harper's back being A-OK, here it is: He's back in the Nationals' starting lineup tonight in Toronto.

Harper will bat second and man right field, with Roger Bernadina back in center field for the second straight day. Davey Johnson said he wants to get Bernadina some more playing time, certainly after he delivered the game-winning double yesterday in Boston. The highly athletic outfielder does have six hits over his last 11 at-bats and has reached base 10 times in his last 16 plate appearances.

Edwin Jackson gets the assignment for the Nationals, facing a Blue Jays lineup that features a whole lotta thunder out of the Nos. 3 and 4 holes; Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion have each clubbed 17 homers already this season.

I'm not in Toronto for this series, but please continue the conversation as always right here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at TORONTO BLUE JAYS
Where: Rogers Centre
Gametime: 7:07 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 178
Weather: Indoors

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I think we sent the Bo Sox into a swoon.. They are losing to the Fish.

2. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Thanks Michele – I needed that!

3. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:10 AM

MicheleS, Kings 3-0

4. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM

The BoSox need to BEAT the fish. Didn't they get the memo?

5. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Gonat.. Just saw that..good for the Kings..can't root for anyting from New Jersey except Bruce.Swami… Yup, occasionally we all have our rose colored glasses off (me and X Nady don't mix), so just a reminder that we are in 1st place.

6. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Lombo with a bunt that worked as good as a line drive!

7. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

8. Can of Corn - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Heard some chatter this morning on MLB radio about the Nats potentially going after Alfonso Soriano. I don't think there was any real basis for the report, but it's an interesting idea. Would be more interesting if the Nats were in the AL and had an open DL slot. Not sure where Soriano would fit in once Werth returns.

9. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM

JaneB.. its only the Sports Teams from New Jersey that I can't root for.

10. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

And Boz on the Shark:Thomas Boswell‏@ThomasBoswellWPBernadina hurt on play w no throw to 3rd or even hint of throw. No need to slide, much less head 1st. Too bad. Total waste 4 team & player.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Bryce hitting .297 and his BABIP is better than your BABIP because he hits the ball so hard.

12. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Busy weekend, bad day at work, feeling under the weather = my natitude is decidedly on the negative side tonight. Good teams pick each other up – thanks.

13. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Corn, that Soriano report sounds unlikely, at least, even if the Cubs pick up most of his salary.

14. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM

NOOO To Soriano! Where would we stick him? Bleech! NO NO NO NO.. Bad for clubhouse as well.

15. Nicky - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Ian!

16. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Also on the Bryce being out at 3B.. Charlie Slowes on twitter reported that BO WAVED him into 3B.. (Boz was questioning the move to 3B)Charlie Slowes‏@Charlie_Slowes@ThomasBoswellWP In defense of Bryce, Bo waived him to 3B.

17. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

What a great hit for Desmond! That ball was off the plate at his knees, and he still put it into right, deliberately. I am impressed.

18. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Well, at least we got a run out of it.

19. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

1 run on 4 hits. At least they got a run, but not capitalizing. This game should be 7-1

20. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Is there a reason Davey is not resting Flores, he is killing us at the plate, why not let him rest and play Solodano?I hope 5-1 holds, feel like it should be 7-1. Bo Porter, another dumb call, that is 3 in two weeks. Was not Bryce's fault, Nats radio said Porter sent him.

21. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Gonat, yes should be 7-1 at least 6-1

22. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Mick..our Beat Reporters have reported that it will take JFLO being dragged off the field in order to get him out of the lineup.. I have a feeling he gets one of the days off in this series.BTW.. GOOD On Ejax for buckling down and getting through 7.

23. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM

MicheleS, the Kings lead seems to be following the Nats. 4-0

24. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Gonat.. I love it!! Nothing better than watching the Stanley Cup being celebrated (and I hope it is tonight). I have friends that are Kings Fans so I am rooting for them!!!

25. rogieshan - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM

26. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

There's a night game tomorrow, and a day game Wednesday. Flores won't catch both of them, so if he didn't catch tonight, Soldano gets 2, and that's not going to happen. And if Flores is killing them, half the teams that play on any given day would love to die like that, up 5-1.

27. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Nice, ALR!

28. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I still haven't found that ALR Shersey at the Team store.. sigh.. I love good defense.

29. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

rogieshan said… Desmond going the opposite field is a wonderful sign of a maturing hitter — looking very Jeter-like. June 11, 2012 9:35 PM ___________________________Insert photo of Davey smiling. Also another clutch hit w/ RISP and 2 outs.

30. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

WOW.. Ank hits the long ball!

31. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Swing hard in case you hit it, Rick!

32. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I like Francisco Cordero!

33. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Short by an inch. Man, that Flores is killing us!

34. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Thomas Boswell‏@ThomasBoswellWPNats=bad situational hitting. Wasted ~3 runs. Desmond, blooming, saves game 'mo' w 2-out RBI hit. Lead 5-1. Still, waste is often punished.My answer to Boz:MicheleS‏@AshburnNatsFan@ThomasBoswellWP You do realize we are winning? Right?

35. Can of Corn - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Has anyone seen any Expos gear in the crowd? I thought there would at least be a handful of diehards. Of course, I realize it's a Monday night and Montreal is a healthy six hour drive from Toronto.

36. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

6-1… dang, we might even win this one…

37. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Soul, you're kidding, yes?

38. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Looks like we get an HRod sighting tonight.

39. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I thought HRod was still on the DL?!?

40. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Yes Jane.. Sould is kidding…JFLO is our backbone and the poor guy couldn't get a home run (he deserves a slow trot arount the bases)

41. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Jane, I was responding to Mick.

42. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Taking the Mickey, you might say.

43. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

And Boz and I are having a disagreement:Thomas Boswell‏@ThomasBoswellWP@AshburnNatsFan That's not how u watch baseball, imo. Good managers can win by 5 & be disgusted. For 162 it's 'how did we play,' not score.MicheleS‏@AshburnNatsFan@ThomasBoswellWP And I have NO doubt that Davey will address that. Ank was already talking to Harp about that out at 3rd.

44. Grandstander - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Way to break out of a slump with a homer Rick! We'll need his bat with Bernadina out for an unknown time period.

45. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

This is one way to give Clip a night off.

46. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Bernadina has hamstring pull

47. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

What time is the Insider thing at Penn Quarter on Thursday? I'm trying to talk my husband into meeting some of my Imaginary Friends.

48. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

so does Ejax close?

49. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Go get 'im, Michele!

50. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

JaneB.. 6 to 8 pm

51. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

For what it's worth, I watch like MichelleS does. I disagree with Boz, too.

52. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Jane, as I recall, a surprising number sent regrets. No reason not to go, you just might not want to get his hopes up.

53. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Not being a downer on a great night but a realist in that Ank gets a hit which is great except it is another low leverage hit. Desmond and Harper have been the go to guys in high leverage situations.

54. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Gonat, yes, but … this is a hitter's ball park. That out-of-grand-slam-range run is not trivial.

55. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Marlins win 4-1, Yankees still lead Barves 3-0 in the 9th.

56. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Glad Davey isn't screwing around. W's are more important than complete games and padding stats.

57. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Really great, great outting EJax!

58. rogieshan - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

"Bernadina has hamstring pull."Nady must have nine lives, or a very useful voodoo doll.

59. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

REALLY??? we can't do anything the easy way!

60. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

PHEW!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! No Let Down from Boston!

61. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

And that's where the 3-run lead feels so much easier.

62. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Hurrah!(And Gio, you really should pick @LinSpenc126 for the gala).

63. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Hope Morrow gets well next week. Very nice win. Didn't get the blow-out win, did get a nice Win. No Kardiac moments tonight. Braves lost. Nats lead over the Braves is now 3.

64. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

another curly Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

65. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

ESPN.. BBTN about to do a big thing on Stras…

66. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

67. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Strange how Nats lead tracked the Kings lead. Nats win by 3 and Kings up by 3.

68. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

"WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).And, Michele, don't let Boz give you any grief. He's so used to covering a loser, he doesn't appreciate this bunch.GYFNG!!!

69. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

mick said… If Wang's breaking ball is on tomorrow, we are n good shape, if not then we are lookig at a high scoring game 7-6, 8-7 June 11, 2012 10:16 PM _____________________________Need his sinker to be sinking!

70. rogieshan - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Wonder if we will see Eric Komatsu up to replace Bernadina, or is Marrero ahead of schedule?

71. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Wow, this is a LOT more fun than it used to be!

72. Drew - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM

How about that No. 4 starter? Holy cow.The Nats are 13-8 in the brutal stretch with 11 games to go. How impressive is this?

73. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Do you know what you call a sinker that doesn't sink? A stinker!

74. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

75. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

As we discussed early in the game was EJax struggling in the 1st and then getting in a groove.Key stat Good news/Bad news Team RISP: 4-for-18

76. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM

anyone know how Werth and Storen rehab is going?

77. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Wang pitching well tomorrow is critical… we do not need issues at the 5th spot if we plan on playing in October.

78. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM

MicheleS said… It's weird.. In Boz's columns.. Boz is always pouring the Koolaid and on twiter he gets testy. Maybe with the columns he has a chance to ponder what happened in the game and on twitter he just reacts (just like we do). June 11, 2012 10:24 PM ________________________________We said before how Boz goes hot & cold. I don't have a problem with anything he said as he was right but to some it does make some of this hot/cold look a bit disingenous.

79. jeffwx - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM

A good win I thought. Did we really leave an unusual number of runners LOB ?

80. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Try that again "disingenuous"

81. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM

what did Boz say?? I miss something

82. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

jeffwx said… A good win I thought. Did we really leave an unusual number of runners LOB ? June 11, 2012 10:33 PM __________________________Again, good news bad news. Nats had lots of runners LOB but also scored 6 runs which is well above average.

83. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

we have to rest Flores for Yankees series, play the kid Tues and wed

84. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Mick. read thru the game thread and Boz and i going back and forth on Twitter.

85. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

What you call a sinker that doesn't sink? A dinger.

86. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Hey all,My comment about my 4-weeks-fan daughter generated a lot of positive comments — thanks all!Just wanted to report her observations today (she's learning fast, and has a couple of good instincts)1. Upon turning on the game, she was completely disoriented. What's grass doing in the infield? she asked (she'd never seen an indoor game or a game on artificial turf yet). When I explained that it's a domed stadium, she pronounced her judgement: playing indoors is against the spirit of baseball.2. She immedately noticed Morse's shave3. When Morse got the sac fly, she turned to me and said, "that was a productive out" (a phrase she learned from me yesterday when I was ranting about Flores' K and Shark's bunt pop up with guys on 2nd and 3rd — "if you make an out with guys on base, especially if a guy is on third, it has to be productive" I explained yesterday.)4. When Ankiel hit the HR, she turned to me and said, "see, when he hits it, he hits it far — I've never seen him on first base except when he walks."Dang, she's really getting the hang of this!

87. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Storen threw off a mound again today…first time was Friday. Don't know anything about Werth.

88. NatsNut - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Ho hum, just another win.=)

89. sjm308 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I am guessing there will be no instant analysis so I was forced to look at in-game posts. It wasn't too horrible but I continue to be amazed at the negativity during this wonderful season. We have a 5 run lead going into the 9th and people are still complaining it should be more.Flores gets his day off tomorrow, will catch Stras in the afternoon and then get a 2nd day off on Thursday as we come home to play the Yankees.I agree with Soul Possesion, if he is killing us then please keep it up. People are always talking about offense but Flores calls a great game and has the pitchers confidence. Its like asking for Davey to rest LaRoche, his defense alone will save us almost every day and he is on track for over 20 home runs this year so why would you rest him?Ankiel crushed that ball and I am sure no one will give him any credit either.We are guaranteed to return home in first place and I don't know how you can ask for more. Michelle, don't let Boz push you around. He has flip flopped more times then I can count and you have been there since day 1. Wooooo Hoooo!!Go Nats

90. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Tweets or comments during the game can't count against any ones long term record. I may not always agree with Boz but he does usually back up his opinions with numbers. Changing your mind in baseball is like Earl Weaver's quote. Everything changes everything. Nats Win. Great Game funny Davey interview.

91. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Loving the daughter reports, wonk. Good for you both. My daughter also noticed the odd grass, and no dirt between the bases, even before I did.

92. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

JaneB said… But what about your Imaginary Friends who may hail from NJ, MichelleS? You root for and with us, right?Count me as another imaginary friend from NJ. Will I see any of you Thursday night?

93. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM

5-1 on an empty netter and the Kings will win Lord Stanley's Cup.

94. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Uh, make that 6-1

95. sjm308 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Mick – we have Thursday off, why would you rest Flores more then just Tuesday? He thrives on being in the game and it will probably kill him to take off tomorrow. He knows what happened the last time he was injured and does not want to be in that position again. Just enjoy what he brings and stop worrying.

96. ehay2k - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

97. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Wonk Your daughter has seen Ankiel walk?Another child being raised correctly. Thanks for sharing.

98. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

ehay2k said… Funny to hear Ejax say to Kristina that he had to keep up with the youngsters. Easy to forget that Gio and Stras and Zimnn are all so young. Nice to remember that they are also all under team control. That alone might make Ejax want to re-sign with the Nats next year. June 11, 2012 10:46 PM __________________________________If EJax can get out to a quick 3 outs in the 1st, he would look like an Ace to make it 4-of-a-kind. A-A-A-A

99. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM

sjm, nice thoughts. It seemed like the frustration at leaving men on base was unfortunately overshadowing the awesome pitching of EJax. Pitching 8 tonight allowing just four hits — great job, helps rest the bullpen, etc. (And I think he improved upon his already league leading fewest-pitches-per-inning).And, slightly bigger picture: while we had 9 LOB, we also had 14 hits! You can afford to leave men on base if so many are getting on that you're still scoring six of them!And, even bigger picture: fourth straight win, winners of 7 of last 10, 3 games in first, 5 games ahead of others, best record of any team in baseball except the Dodgers

100. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

The Fox said… Wonk Your daughter has seen Ankiel walk?Last Thrs night he walked twice. (In the last three-1/2 weeks, he walked only one other time!)Another child being raised correctly. Thanks for sharing.Awww — thanks.

101. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Cubs sign Jorge Soler, the 20-year-old Cuban outfielder to a nine year contract somewhere between 25 and 35 million. The Brave were also in the running. I wonder if the Nats tried to sign him? He will probably be in the minors for 2 years.

102. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

103. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

See your daughter was paying attention more than I was.

104. Kevin Rusch - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Not for nothing, but the Nats' magic number is 100 right now. Just sayin'.

105. ehay2k - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Ejax said he didn't have his best stuff tonight. I hope the youngsters hear that and ask him how he battled through it. Funny to hear about other daughters of NI denizens. Mine is almost 14, and goes to Nats games more for the experience , including junk food, than the game itself. (Oh, how we both miss Five Guys!) But tonight she surprised me by stopping her texting to catch some of the game, and promptly noting there was no dirt on the base paths. Brought a big smile to my face.

106. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM

‏@Charlie_Slowes: @ThomasBoswellWP In defense of Bryce, Bo waived him to 3B.‏@ThomasBoswellWP: @Charlie_Slowes Charlie, you could see clearly from one replay angle that Porter did not wave him at any point his last 150 feet._____________________________NatsLady said… Bo didn't put up the stop sign. Looks like he waved him on, but only once Bryce had already rounded second. FP does NOT approve. June 11, 2012 8:42 PM Gonat said… Bo didn't wave him on, Bo didn't give him the stop sign. Bo didn't do nothing except give him the slide sign. Huh? Does Bo not give signs when Bryce is on the base path? June 11, 2012 8:42 PM _________________________________NatsLady and I wrote differing views at the same time. I didn't see any motion from Bo the last 90 feet.I find it interesting that Charlie saw something. I replayed it and didn't see any arm movements.

107. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:11 AM

ehay2k there is a five guys on 2nd and M near the other entrance to the Metro. You can bring it into the ball park too.

108. sjm308 - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I replayed that as well and saw nothing from Bo that indicated he was waving him on. I also did not see a stop sign, just the "hit the dirt" signal when it was obvious there was going to be a play.I think FP has it right, Bryce is going to run until someone tags him out or he scores. This is obviously something that will be curbed as he continues to mature and grow into one of the finest players to ever play the game.ESPN now has us at 70% chance of playoffs with that silly thing on the far right of the standings. I can remember when we were in first place early in the season and they still had us at something like 25%. Guess we have impressed someone although I think the % is probably not too reliable a tool. I do know that we have the 2nd best winning percentage in baseball and that is a fact!!Go Nats!!

109. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM

ehay2k said… Funny to hear about other daughters of NI denizens. Mine is almost 14, and goes to Nats games more for the experience , including junk food, than the game itself.My daughter was the same way, from 2005 (age 10) until just four weeks ago.Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa said… Wonk, I move we collectively adopt your daughter as the Phenom of the Nats Insider.Wow! I have no idea if she'd be flattered, but I am!Wait — let me tell you one other astounding thing that came out of her mouth. We were thinking of going to the game next Tuesday (a week from tomorrow) . . . she was quiet for a minute, and then said, "Strasburg would be pitching then, right?" This, from a girl who's just heard of "American League" a few days ago, and still doesn't understand the DH.

110. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM

ESPN now has us at 70% chance of playoffs with that silly thing on the far right of the standings. I can remember when we were in first place early in the season and they still had us at something like 25%. So, if you're not actually betting on the outcome, what difference does it make that ESPN or whomever predicts XYZ?

111. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Wow! I have no idea if she'd be flattered, but I am!I'll take that to be a second. Moved and seconded. All in favor?

112. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Mike Trout just hit a HR out there in LA. He steps into the pitches JUST like Ryan Z, it's eerie.

113. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:38 AM

aye

114. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Opposed?

115. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:42 AM

sjm308 said… I replayed that as well and saw nothing from Bo that indicated he was waving him on. I also did not see a stop sign, just the "hit the dirt" signal when it was obvious there was going to be a play.I think FP has it right, Bryce is going to run until someone tags him out or he scores. This is obviously something that will be curbed as he continues to mature and grow into one of the finest players to ever play the game.June 11, 2012 11:27 PM ___________________________________On the Toronto broadcast, their guy said, Bryce should learn from that. 3 things on that play, Bryce had to freeze on the line drive, Bautista has an above average arm, discretion is the better part of valor.This is 3 aggressive outs in the last week. 2 of them took the Nats out of scoring position. This one wasn't even close.

116. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Motion carries.

117. Doc - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:02 AM

The Nats won, eh!

118. Doc - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:05 AM

The Nats won, eh!

119. SonnyG10 - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:27 AM

According to Davey in his post-game interview, he said Bo appologized to him for sending Bryce to third, but Davey said he had no problem with it. He said it would take a perfect throw to get him and that's what happened. Can't blame this one on Bryce!

120. Section 222 - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Sounds like a great game. I watched Nats Extra, and some of the highlights. I'm surprised that Boz and folks here are relying on the replay of the Bautista gunning out Harper at third to decide whose fault it was, especially when Charlie, who was in the park, said that Bo waved Bryce to third. No replay showed Bo during the time that Bryce was running from first to second. That's when the sign would have been made. Once Bryce was tearing to third, of course there was no arm waving. Davey confirmed that it was Bo's decision to send him. In that situation, I simply don't agree with FP that once you freeze, "the gig is up." Bryce had no way to see what happened after the ball got past him and headed into right. Maybe the ball was bobbled, maybe it skipped past Bautista and went to the wall. How is he supposed to see that unless he turns around and looks, which he should never do? He had to rely on Bo, and Bo made the wrong decision. End of story.

121. Scooter - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I think we need to spend lots and lots of time discussing who sent Harper. Unfortunately, I can't make it, so I hope y'all can do this without me. Let me know what we decide.Hey Wonk, I'll see you Thursday. (You too, Jane, if y'all come.) And hey, bring your kid! I'd like to see what my daughter might be like in 11 years.Fun fact for everybody: the team that leaves more dudes on base wins the majority of the time. Okay, just a bit over .500, and it's not something you TRY to do, but still.

122. m20832 - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Hey! They WON again! BH may have sparked the Nats offense, but there are other talented players on this team also.GYFNG!!!!!!!!

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The Harper out of 3ed play was destine to be an out with a good throw, as he took a step back toward first, when it appeared the 1B man had a chance at a shoe top catch, at that point not enough momentum to make it to third. Another learning experience. Didn't cost us the game, just learn from it, when not enough momentum you can't go.

124. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

It's a learned reflex to freeze on line drives in the infield, but in this case, if Cooper does catch that ball in the air, Harper had no way to get back to first anyway. Even if he hadn't hesitated, and hadn't run so wide coming around second, the play at third would have been closer, but he might still have been out. On that fast surface, with Bautista in right, it was over-reaching to try for third, but that's what they do–force the other team to make a play, and that's good, but sometimes the other guy is good, too.