Game 59: Nats at Blue Jays

Jun 11, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Rogers Centre hosts the Nationals for the next three days.

Not that he didn't probably prove it during his sprint around the bases yesterday to score the winning run at Fenway Park, but if you needed any confirmation of Bryce Harper's back being A-OK, here it is: He's back in the Nationals' starting lineup tonight in Toronto.

Harper will bat second and man right field, with Roger Bernadina back in center field for the second straight day. Davey Johnson said he wants to get Bernadina some more playing time, certainly after he delivered the game-winning double yesterday in Boston. The highly athletic outfielder does have six hits over his last 11 at-bats and has reached base 10 times in his last 16 plate appearances.

Edwin Jackson gets the assignment for the Nationals, facing a Blue Jays lineup that features a whole lotta thunder out of the Nos. 3 and 4 holes; Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion have each clubbed 17 homers already this season.

I'm not in Toronto for this series, but please continue the conversation as always right here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at TORONTO BLUE JAYS
Where: Rogers Centre
Gametime: 7:07 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 178
Weather: Indoors

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Wendell - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I can't believe Flores isn't getting a break.

2. Doc - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM

For all of us ex-Expos fans, this Bud is particularly for us. Toronto and Montreal were always on the inter-league schedule.Nats' pitching vs. Jays' sluggers–GooooooNats!

3. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Doc, how do you do that cheer in Canadian ???Go Nats, Eh

4. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

the evil empire preparing for the weekend:http://www.meetup.com/The-Washington-DC-Area-New-York-Yankee-Fan-Meetup/

5. CN - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

This team's had A LOT of trouble with the opposing team's best hitter(s) single-handedly beating them:LA: Ethier & KempPit: McCutheonCin: VottoBal: JonesMia: StantonThat said, I do think that Jackson's in a very good groove. I do worry about Wang, even if he keeps the ball on the ground, the turf is very fast in Toronto and the gaps are huge there. Here's hoping that the Jays' big sluggers are held in check…

6. NatsFanGino - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I think Flores will sit tomorrow. That way he gets Tuesday and Thursday (off day) to rest and plays Wed. If he sat tonight, then he would likely have to sit either Tues night game or Wed 12:37p game – doubt he would play both of those.

7. JD - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Wendall, This also shows how little faith the management has in our backup catchers.

8. Steady Eddie - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

JD — I think it's much less that (tho it's present) than reflecting JFlo's determination to play almost every day after being out entirely for 2+ years and then being a once-a-week backup when he finally returned last summer. His mindset is, now that I'm #1 again this summer, I WILL PLAY unless Davey and Docs order me not to. Understandable, and takes him a long way endurance-wise.

9. sm13 - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

It makes sense to sit Flo on Wednesday and give him 2 days off in a row. It's not so unusual to play your #1 catcher multiple days in a row – Yadier Molina rarely gets days off.

10. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Okay.. So GIO needs a Date… anyone have a 20 something girl that would be interested?Gio Gonzalez‏@GioGonzalez47Hey I need a date for the gala on Saturday night, an sexy single ladies interested…..

11. Laddie Blah Blah - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

CN"This team's had A LOT of trouble with the opposing team's best hitter(s) single-handedly beating them:LA: Ethier & KempPit: McCutheonCin: VottoBal: JonesMia: Stanton"Yeah. They seem to have forgotten the old maxim to not let the other team's best guy beat you. Other teams have already learned to pitch around the Cyborg, even with Ryan on deck. All you have to do is look at the stats to see why they would rather pitch to Zim than to Bryce – at least, for now.Zim has started to square them up and drive the ball, lately, so that strategy may fail in the not-too-distant future. We could have pitched around Votto, Stanton, jones and McCutcheon, and the Nats would have an even better W-L record, if they had. Only Kemp was well-protected, by Ethier. Jones, Votto, McCutcheon and Stanton are not protected by anyone else nearly as good as Ethier, or Zim, for that matter.

12. phil dunton - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

The Beast needs to heat up. His bat is in spring training and the opposing pitchers are in mid-season form. That's not a good match up.

13. David - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

im surprised Moore isn't getting a start to give ALR a break.

14. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Michelle–What's up with Gio's email–Is this some kind of romantic version of the triangle offense? WhooooHoooo!

15. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM

RealDeal..He tweeted out that he needs a date for the Gala on Saturday night and most of the Guys on twitter Re-Tweeted it – I figured they are giving him grief about it.. Sadly, I am old enough to be his mom…

16. Section 222 - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

im surprised Moore isn't getting a start to give ALR a break.Are any of the Jays starters lefties? That's when Moore is more likely to the be in the lineup, though I wouldn't expect him to replace ALR.

17. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

MicheleS (sigh) Me, too–on the age diff.

18. David - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

19. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM

222.. all the Jays starters that we face are righties.

20. David - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM

hasn't Moore played the majority of his games at first base over the past year or two in the minors?

21. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I had to laugh at this one..Gio Gonzalez‏@GioGonzalez47Must be 21 or older, please

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Gio with one of the more interesting Tweets. Have to wonder who Bryce takes.

23. A DC Wonk - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Holy moley!I just looked up Brandon Morrow's stats — his WHIP is 0.991 — that's better than anyone on the Nats. And he doesn't get to face any pitchers in the AL.OTOH, he's allowed 4+ runs four times, and 6 runs three of those times. OTOOOH, he has three complete game shutouts where he allowed 3 hits or less. (And another 7 inning start where he allowed just one hit).Perhaps he's similar to Good Henry 70% of the time, and Bad Henry 30% of the time.

24. ehay2k - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Um, I wonder how Gio would respond to a "how much older?" Tweet?

25. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Michelle–Just getting a kick out of all the ladies loving Gio!

26. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

RealDeal.. like is said.. sigh.. I am old enough to be his mom…

27. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Had a dream last night re: Good Henry and Bad Henry where we all wore those red and blue 3D glasses like they gave out in theaters in the early 60s. Henry was being Bad Henry and I was trying to get everyone in my section to look through the blue glasses so we'd see Good Henry. The cat woke me up before Davey pulled him.

28. hiramhover - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Speaking of slumping Nats…Lombo's slash line over the last 7 days.071/.188/.071, wRC+ = -21Ouch.

29. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

One of my students (starting college in August) has a pic of Bryce with one of her friends at the local Chipotle. She showed me the pic on her phone and I'm aiting for her to email it to me…

30. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Wonk, yes I looked him up this morning, that's why I posted he's no slouch on Brandon Morrow. Not necessarily going to be a walk in the Park with these Jays.

31. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Michele–When I told Steady Eddy I teach at his alma mater High School in Bethesda, he told me the year he graduated, thinking it was well before my time. I didn't tell Eddy that I went back to teaching from business and think I actually have Eddy by a couple years! But teaching kids is like following the Nats–It keeps you young.

32. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we came out a little flat in this series after what we just experienced. Especially with Morrow tonight. Also, gotta get Flores some down time before his hammy flares up. Still PFB. GYFNGoGo

33. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM

34. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Yes RealDeal.. the Nats DO keep us young (or at least young at heart!)

35. JD - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

NatsLady, This feels like a classic trap series to me. Between the Fenway carnival and the evils visiting Nats park this weekend this one could be tricky. EJax will need to be at his best tonight especially if Morrow. Clippard is not likely available tonight either. SS needs an easy game on Wednesday after the 120 pitch effort last Friday; I would really keep his pitch limit down.

36. A DC Wonk - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Totally off topic, but I wanted to share "the continuing adventures of my daughter, the new Nats Fan."Those who have followed in the past might recall the basics: she's 17, we've been going to games since 2005. She hadn't been particularly interested in the games so much, but she liked the atmosphere (and the wave, and the music between innings, the shirt throw, and all the things we fans generally hate). For whatever reason (and not because the Nats have been winning — probably because she's sensed my increased fanaticism/happiness this year) she became, like overnight, a hard-core fanatical fan about four weeks ago.And right around that time, we were _at_ the game where Hamels hit Bryce and the subsequent steal of home. That cemented it (and, she spent the latter innings with her girlfriend out in the left field bleachers, to get closer to Bryce and yell things like "we love you" at him. Hey, she's only two years younger than him!)What's totally and absolutely hilarious from my point of view, is that everything she knows about baseball has been from watching the games since then. She's been paying attention — and so her knowledge is stupendous for a four-week fan, but has some startling holes in her knowledge, too.Examples:As a hard-core fan, she can tell you the probable batting order off the top of her head if a lefty starts for the other team, or a righty starts. She knows Espi has been stinking it up from the left hand side but is great from the right. She's trying to figure out what the outfield should be when Werth comes back (she worries about him, and Ramos, and Sandy Leon, because she saw them get hurt)OTOH, she's not yet convinced Morse is any good. (We missed the game where he got two doubles, and have seen a lot of o-fer games from him).So, here's the funny part: despite knowing all the above, I've had the following hilarious conversations with her:Me (last week): now we'll play teams from the American League?Her: what's that?Me (last week griping): he's not even batting .200!Her: what does that mean?Yowza! Cracks me up!She's trying to understand the whole thing about pinch hitting, and taking somebody's place in the lineup doesn't man taking somebody's place in the field — and then I had to explain the "DH" to her.Her first question: if their DH (Ortiz) is for the pitcher, how come he isn't batting ninth?And — again, hilarious to me — she's amazed at how both the players (and I) know so many rules — such as "swinging strike three in the dirt you can run to first" (I didn't tell her the exceptions) or — as happened in yesterday's game — "if the ball hits fair, but goes foul before third base it's foul"Her: How did you know that rule? How do the players keep track of all those rules?(I haven't told her about the infield fly rule yet! I'm telling her those kinds of rules on a need to know basis! ;-))She still gets confused about when you have to tag someone and when you don't. When there was a pickoff move to first, and she saw the firstbaseman swipe at the runner she asked, "I thought you said that you don't have to tag the guy at first base?"OTOH, she can recognize any Nats by face (except Lidge — she never heard of him before), and she knows, e.g., that Ankiel strikes out on high hard ones.And yet she worries about Tyler Moore and Corey Brown, hoping they can get some playing time.And she, like me, stop doing anything else whenever Bryce is up!I told her a righty was starting — she figured out the whole line-up.I'm having very fun bonding experiences with her, as I watch her grow into a seriously knowledgeable fan! (And perhaps, when her 19 year old brother comes back for the summer, she might get him interested)

37. NCNatsie - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM

"Shape up, Insiders. We're good, good, good. We don't have to fear anybody. We handled Halliday, Beachy, Lester…this guy's nothing compared to them. He's got nothing. We got just two kind of hitters on this team, guys that are hot and guys that are due. So go out there and beat the s*** out of that worthless Canadian…"(Paraphrased from a pre-game pep talk from my old Am. Legion team a million years ago. There were a lot of Canadian kids in our area of Maine, and it was a different time as far as ethnic slurs were concerned.)

38. Another_Sam - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

IMHO Flores and [of course] Clippard need rest.Wonk — regarding Morse: Assuming he is the real deal and your daughter is wrong, to what do you attribute [when explaining to her] his departure from early career form to being the beast he might be now?

39. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

DC Wonk–Beautiful and hilarious post.

40. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

DC Wonk–your daughter must've gone crazy Sunday. 1st Harper's not in the game, then he gets inside the pitcher's head, then she sees him steaming around the bases for home. Could be love.

41. NCNatsie - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

correction: …Am. Legion team coach…sorry

42. ehay2k - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Nice post Wonk! Now you need to teach her to score games in a book!

43. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Wonk, good story, but do be careful. Years ago, I talked a photographer friend of mine into coming to Giants games as a chance to practice "action shots"–partly because I enjoyed her company, and partly because her employer had really nice seats for season tickets. Being single herself, she asked me which players were not married, and I carelessly tossed out "Maldonado, I think." She went on to develop a massive crush on Candy Maldonado, and was crushed when she found out he was, in fact, quite married.

44. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I think she's forgiven me by now. Probably.

45. realdealnats - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Back to yesterday's thread–I think everyone appreciated Shark's clutch hit. And it's good to see Davey riding his hot streak tonight. But from the moment Harper stepped into the box to pinch hit, everyone was glued to him. And after he took the walk, everyone saw him get into the pitcher's head on first. We all remembered him timing Hamel that night on third. And every time he took a little bit more of a lead we felt we were a little closer to something big happening. So when he took off on the hit and run everyone knew he was going for home. Shark was clutch. And Espi was clutch w/his double. But Harper is the only guy on this team we feel can "will" a victory. He won't do it every day. But in my heart of hearts he did it Sunday, even though Shark laced that double.

46. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM

More from Bobby V, who doesn't seem to understand the words, "SHUT UP AND PLAY BASEBALL!" This jerk is almost makin' me root for the Feeeeeeeesh. Not quite, though.Valentine umps (again)http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2012/06/valentine-umps-shouldnt-be-asked-to-do-the-impossible.html

47. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Nats/Blue Jays is the MLB free game of the day, so if you are out of the area you can watch on MLB.tv for free. (In the area, of course… blackout…)

48. Bigfish - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Wonk, I've got an 18-year-old daughter who's been joining me at games since 2005. I don't think she's quite as committed as your daughter — she has a serious boyfriend for the first time — but she had a serious crush on Josh Willingham, to the point that our season tickets in 2009 had to be in left field. And she was intensely PO'd when The Hamma got traded.This is one of the best aspects of baseball: watching our kids develop the passion for the game we love so much. And it's to the everlasting shame of MLB that an entire generation of DC-area kids missed out on this.

49. Joe Seamhead - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Ladies, you're killing me. There will be no, I repeat, no, Nationals Gio Graphic on this family blog.

50. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I would like to thank all the Dads for developing the daughters into fans. We have some on this blog, but I can remember going to games (in Texas) where there were no girls in the stands except me and my college roommates!! My dad basically started us at birth with the Cubs, so I have no idea what life is like without baseball.

51. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

And thanks to the Moms as well – JaneB has a daughter as well!!!

52. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Oh and for those of you on the Bad Henry Vs Good Henry.. Please take a look at what happened to Adrolis Chapman of the Reds over the last few days… I am sure the Reds fans are injesting the bourbon/Maalox too!

53. JaneB - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM

My 22 year old GORGEOUS daughter has replied to Gio. He should pick her. She is smart about baseball, laughs all the time and is one of the funniest people I know. Funny in a good way. I am especially rooting for the Canadian Nats fan to have fun tonight! I love that you didn't abandon the franchise even though they moved south.GYFNG!

54. JaneB - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Michelle S — I just saw your shout out to parents of baseball fan daughters! I think there are more and more of them all the time!

55. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

The roof is not retractable? They were saying it's 82 degrees outside in Toronto.

56. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

NatsLady.. It looks like there is a light rain outside.

57. efowl4 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Morrow appears hurt and he is out. Wow.

58. djinFl. - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM

WOW! What are the baseball gods up to now ?

59. Grandstander - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Wow. I feel terrible for that guy. He's been having such a dominant year. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

60. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Anyone know anything about the Jay's Bullpen???

61. Candide - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Something wrong with the broadcast sound on MASNHD? Carp and FP keep cutting out.

62. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM

This exact thing happened earlier this season against the Pirates.

63. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Now lets see if Carp or FP recalls that fact.

64. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

omigosh, poor guy. Sheesh.

65. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM

BRYCE!!!!

66. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM

what is the era for giving up 1 run and 0 ip

67. CN - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I am really impressed with FP, he called the injury the pitch before, saying that Marrow looked in long & hard on the 2nd pitch (strike call) to Harper. That is a keen eye.Dibble OTOH, well, we know what he would've said in that situation.Tough break for Marrow, but it's part of the game, hope he's ok.

68. CN - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Man, that turf is much much faster than I thought…

69. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

That was May 9th against the Pirates and Erik Bedard was the pitcher who came out after the 1st inning. He didn't go on the DL and pitched a week later against the Nats in Washington and lost.

70. Candide - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

jeffwx said…what is the era for giving up 1 run and 0 ipNo meaningful number. Can't divide by zero.

71. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

BEAST Shaved his beard! What happened?

72. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

thanks Candide, wasn't sure if they used a default like 54. or something.

73. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

MicheleS, the Beast's beard was slowing him down as he was getting too much wind resistance from the Beard.

74. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Gio got a date yet. I don't….Another Saturday night and I aint got nobody.

75. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

yep…we're in stadium sound mode here. you can do that with mlb.tv online too.

76. CN - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

yep, definitely a problem with the audio!

77. Grandstander - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

They're really spoiling us with dropping the commentator's feed here. Nothing but the sweet sounds from the stadium, so pleasant.

78. Candide - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Definitely a broadcast sound problem tonight.

79. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I watched Intentional Talk today (yup.. I am a Nerd) and Millar was talking about ALR "As cool as the other side of the pillow" Got to love that!

80. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

FP and Carp may need to phone it in. Great background sound. This must be part of the Angelos MASN revenge. LOL

81. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Candide. Who is your cable company? I tweeted MASN and they are asking.

82. Candide - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Comcast in Alexandria.

83. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I'm on Fios.Wait Sunshine is back.

84. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Audio is cutting in and out on RCN cable also. So has to be MASN. Carp just mentioned they are working on "audio problems."

85. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Well at least it' all of us! But FP made a funny about this being the best they ever sounded

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Like I said earlier, EJax and his adventurous 1st innings.

87. jeffwx - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I guess this game may eat up the Jays bullpen a bit.Hopefully not ours too.Good day, Sunshine.

88. JaneB - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Does anyone know what happened to Morrow? We were watching without sound because of a phone call. Turns out, watching WITH sound doesn't contain a lot of info, either. I love that FP was watching so closely — thanks for that tidbit, CN.I heard the MASN deal doesn't get settled till July 1, now. I hope Angelos has to pay a fortune to the Nats.

89. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Edwin having issues in the first inning again, I guess.

90. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

And so if you think Morrow leaving the game meant an easy night for us – not so much. Didn't this happen once before this year and we were all geared up for a certain pitcher? I don't think that went well, but I can't remember for sure. The Nats stress me out so much I tend to forget things. It would seem that our pitchers would love early leads, but they don't always react well. Go figure.

91. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

JaneB, no speculation yet but looked like this oblique thing.

92. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

JaneB.. looks like Morrow pulled something in this "side" Probably an obliqueLet's hope this is not a bad EJAX outing. UGH.

93. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Gonat.. I owe you a beverage of choice.

94. sm13 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Add me to the list of baseball loving daughters. My 19 year old is my constant companion at games and on our sofa when the Nats are on TV. It is something we'll be able to share for ever, like I was able to do with my Mom and Dad

95. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Michele – Looks like our beverage of choice tonight is definitely going to be the maalox/bourbon cocktail. oy.

96. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Morse needs to play a position. He proved last year that he's just one of those guys who needs to be involved in the game. Look how he's doing as DH. I dont quite get that Davey doesnt get that.Give Morse back his outfield position!!

97. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

MicheleS, I think you owe me a 6 pack by now. LOL

98. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… All metrics so far point to EJax being a Top 20 pitcher in the NL. He has his flaws such as his pickoff move and shaky 1st innings, but when he gets going, he has been a great addition to the team. June 11, 2012 11:40 AM ______________________________SteveM, as usual, you are ahead of the curve. FP just said the same.

99. Candide - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

FP: "His index finger is all swoled up…":-)

100. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Wacky Monday so far.

101. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

24 pitches for EJax. Not great. Glad he got out of it with only 1 run.

102. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Let me join this fine group of parents with baseball loving daughters.My daughter was our scorekeeper many years ago when I coached little league: she learned to keep score the Right Way. We used to go to many O's games back in the day, and she would always keep the book.Today, with her own son crawling around while we watch the Nats on Masn, it's still makes me proud to hear her say things like, "He was a little behind on the fast ball, wasnt he?"

103. dabassguy1 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Back to no commentators.

104. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Gonat, I think he said shakey 1st inning and then gets into a groove.

105. dabassguy1 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

And then a quick fade in. I might just go to Dave and Charlie on the Gameday Audio,

106. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Different umpires, but Boston still losing.

107. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Back to Left-handed Espi. The evil twin is back.

108. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

That bottom of the first was the best inning that I've ever heard on a Nats telecast. Pure bliss.Wonder who pulled the plug on Sunshine?Charlie? Dave? The revenge of Debbie Taylor?

109. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Just got back. No Mark for updates–how'd the Nats score?

110. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

JFlo got robbed. Call the Royal Canadian Mounted Police!

111. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Soul, Lombo double and Bryce RBI single

112. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Then Zim got on via an error with Bryce going to 3rd and Morse Sac Flied him in. 2-0 lead. HR by Blue Jays. 2-1

113. JaneB - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

It just looks weird without the dirt base paths.

114. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Zim hit a liner off the 1B and Harp got to 3rd. ALR hit a Sac Fly that scored Harp.

115. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Dang it GONAT..just add it to the tab.

116. JaneB - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM

AT least Zimm kept it from getting away. But no fair calling it an error.

117. baseballswami - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Harry Wholestaff for both teams tonight if EJax can't pull it together. Whatever – if our offense has a cold game it won't matter anyway.

118. Gonat - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Not upset at all by Zim not making that play, but why the heck are you throwing the ball to 1st?

119. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Thanks, both of you.: ) When it's good news, it's never enough.

120. NatsLady - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

They gave RZ an error for THAT????? Ejax getting into his groove now, speeding up his game. That turf, wow, it's like a skating rink. Glad we only see it every six years.

121. efowl4 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Anyone notice it looks like espi has switched to seeds over the chaw today? He needs to switch everything up when he is batting from thr left side.

122. MicheleS - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Just saw this on twitter and it's a shocker:Wow.. Barry Bonds has SHRUNK

123. Candide - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Pitching around Harper to get to RZ? Yeah, keep doing that. Please.

124. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Ankiel taught Harper that slide. Amazing.

125. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I dunno, Candide, it seems to be working for them.

126. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

ALR.. ROCKS!!!!

127. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

ALR!

128. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

LaWOOSH!

129. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

He doesn't need a rest.

130. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Now, getting to LaRoche …

131. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

ALR!!!Ball if flying out of this bandbox.

132. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

And ALR with a no-doubter– Second deck!

133. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Beast Mode!

134. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Soul – it's eventually gonna bite someone, hard.Nice having 4-5 guys in a row who can launch one.

135. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Almost feel bad for this baby pitcher, looked at his stats, he was just brought up Thursday and has pitched exactly one inning in the majors before tonight. Almost.

136. Will - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I'm watching the Blue Jays broadcast on MLB.tv, and the announcers have called both HRs now. One was in mid-sentence about how Rasmus can crush the ball to RF, when he went and did just that.Not 3 seconds after the announcers raved about how good of a season LaRoche was having including hitting 10 HR and 16 doubles, LaRoche turned on the pitch…Here's to hoping they rave about Espinosa, Bernadina and Flores' power next inning.

137. Joe Seamhead - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

ALR is very good even when he is in a perceived slump. BTW, the word on the Phillies blog today is " Sell."

138. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

All the former players turned broadcasters are apparently appalled at the official scorekeeper calling that an error on Zim. You would think they would give their own guy a hit.

139. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Update on Morrow from Amanda:Amanda Comak‏@acomakPressbox announcement is that Brandon Morrow left the game with a left oblique strain. See ya in a few weeks, Brandon.

140. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM

141. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I love our infield.

142. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Nice, EJax at 45 pitches. Good job of getting his pitch count down.

143. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Speaking of Young Ladies who like baseball, not sure if you all follow her on twitter, but Meggie Zahneis is a young scribe on MLB.com and mostly does Reds stuff. She is delightful.‏@MeggieZahneisVerlander Interview

144. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Oh, Danny is going to get back to using his hands when swinging left-handed. Whatever works.

145. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM

SYR Chiefs Radio ‏@ChiefsRadioYunesky Maya just slid to field a bunt in the sixth. He's coming off limping. Spoils a great outing. 5+, 2H, 45 pitches.

146. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Beck probably saw Bernadina was hitting .600 in his last week and pitches around him. LOL

147. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Sharkadina!

148. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

oooof! I hope he is okay!

149. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

He really needs to learn how to slide feet first. Soon.

150. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Wait?? what happened? how did he hurt himself on that slide? I can't figure it out?

151. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!

152. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Just when he's hitting! I feel bad for him.

153. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

…'cuz we don't have enough injured players already…

154. Joe Seamhead - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Belly flop/knee flop on basically concrete could not have felt good.

155. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

So, on taking that extra base–Harper-influenced?

156. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Unreal. Hope Bernadina isn't hurt badly. Then in a contact situation, Flores fails to make contact with the runner standing on 3rd and 1 out.

157. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Cory Brown come on down.

158. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Maybe dislocated his left kneecap on the landing, is all I can figure.

159. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Soul, I don't think so. Bernie always hustled. Just, um, he didn't need to slid at all. So, lots of hustle, not so smart. He walked off and didn't seem to be limping. Hope it's not the knee, maybe just got the wind knocked out of him.

160. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Blue Jays going to eat up lots of relievers. 9 innings worth.

161. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

NJ.. was thinking the same thing…

162. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Is Corey eligible? isn't there a 10 day rule?

163. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

The only thing that could have been hurt was jamming his knee cap. And that can be extremely painfull but not serious (hopefully).

164. Joe Seamhead - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

He didn't need to slide feet first, or otherwise. The catcher had not even picked up the ball yet. Was Shark even looking at Porter, and if so, what was Porter doing?

165. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM

But he didn't know he didn't need to slide. He as hustling and who knew the guy wasn't going to try to throw him out? I do wonder what Bo was showing him — couldn't see that.

166. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Unfortunately Lombo's contact was with 2 outs. 1st squandered opportunity of the game.

167. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Ot's been closw to 10 days, hasn't it?

168. Joe Seamhead - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Nice play by Lombo.

169. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM

NJ.. I can't remember what day he got sent down!

170. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

They can bring Brown back before 10 days if there's an injury.

171. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I feel that when the Nats get someone on the ropes and have a chance to go for the jugular, they don't. Still plenty of game left, though. Seems like so often when someone starts to play well offensively, they get injured. Not a good trend.

172. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Must be your cable company, because I'm not getting those at all. Just Obama ads between innings, and "Maximum Tax Resolution."Gonat said…Now MASN is scrolling underwear ads on the bottom 1/3 of my screen. Yep, Angelos needs money.

173. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Bryce Harper batting .292 Nice!!!!

174. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

BAM-BAM. Now batting .292…

175. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Soul, you owe me a drink, even if Bam Bam got caught.

176. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Going for the jugular and losing the lead runner with LaRoche on deck. Not smart.

177. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM

178. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM

179. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Gonat.. BO has probably given up on giving Bryce signs.. remember it's run until you get tagged out with Bryce

180. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

At least ANK is telling Bryce what he did wrong.

181. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I love the dugout shots showing how Harper is getting coached up down there. And FP is hilarious and wise out of the same mouth. Makes not being there okay.

182. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

For our puck lover.. Kings up 2-0 on the Devils

183. Nicky - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Lombo starting to look competent in left

184. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Every inning — opportunities to add on are not taken.

185. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM

To be fair, swami, SOME innings they aren't adding on. But some they are.

186. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Soul, you owe me a drink, even if Bam Bam got caught.I'm not disagreeing, but what for?

187. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Kind of a sparse crowd in Toronto.

188. efowl4 - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I know a lot can change in the next few months….. BUTWhat is our starting lineup when Werth returns. Also does DeRousa take a spot on our bench?

189. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Soul – earlier:Candide: Pitching around Harper to get to RZ? Yeah, keep doing that. Please.June 11, 2012 7:59 PM Soul Possession: I dunno, Candide, it seems to be working for them.June 11, 2012 8:00 PM

190. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM

OY! Xavier with the dp!

191. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Getting to Zimm worked. LaRoche, not so much. I call that a wash.

192. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM

What is our starting lineup when Werth returns. Also does DeRousa take a spot on our bench?DeRousa??

193. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Oh, wait. Mark DeRosa, who is currently on the DL, back to the bench when he comes back. OK. Got it.

194. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM

What I said at 8:48 – again.

195. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Swammi.. on the bright side.. EJAX has settled in and doing quite well.

196. efowl4 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Sorry DeRosa. I guess I would rather have T Moore as a sub on the Bench. I also wonder if when Storen comes back do we keep Lidge especially with Matheus getting healthy too.

197. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Shark injury update. Strained Left Hammy per Nats PR.

198. a3fac11a-b42a-11e1-9345-000bcdcb5194 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Wonder how much Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals has affected attendance.

199. a3fac11a-b42a-11e1-9345-000bcdcb5194 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Wonder how much Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals has affected attendance.

200. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Yanks helping us, lead the Braves 3-0 in the 6th.

201. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I think we sent the Bo Sox into a swoon.. They are losing to the Fish.

202. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Thanks Michele – I needed that!

203. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:10 AM

MicheleS, Kings 3-0

204. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM

The BoSox need to BEAT the fish. Didn't they get the memo?

205. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Gonat.. Just saw that..good for the Kings..can't root for anyting from New Jersey except Bruce.Swami… Yup, occasionally we all have our rose colored glasses off (me and X Nady don't mix), so just a reminder that we are in 1st place.

206. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Lombo with a bunt that worked as good as a line drive!

207. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

208. Can of Corn - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Heard some chatter this morning on MLB radio about the Nats potentially going after Alfonso Soriano. I don't think there was any real basis for the report, but it's an interesting idea. Would be more interesting if the Nats were in the AL and had an open DL slot. Not sure where Soriano would fit in once Werth returns.

209. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM

JaneB.. its only the Sports Teams from New Jersey that I can't root for.

210. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

And Boz on the Shark:Thomas Boswell‏@ThomasBoswellWPBernadina hurt on play w no throw to 3rd or even hint of throw. No need to slide, much less head 1st. Too bad. Total waste 4 team & player.

211. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Bryce hitting .297 and his BABIP is better than your BABIP because he hits the ball so hard.

212. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Busy weekend, bad day at work, feeling under the weather = my natitude is decidedly on the negative side tonight. Good teams pick each other up – thanks.

213. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Corn, that Soriano report sounds unlikely, at least, even if the Cubs pick up most of his salary.

214. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM

NOOO To Soriano! Where would we stick him? Bleech! NO NO NO NO.. Bad for clubhouse as well.

215. Nicky - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Ian!

216. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Also on the Bryce being out at 3B.. Charlie Slowes on twitter reported that BO WAVED him into 3B.. (Boz was questioning the move to 3B)Charlie Slowes‏@Charlie_Slowes@ThomasBoswellWP In defense of Bryce, Bo waived him to 3B.

217. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

What a great hit for Desmond! That ball was off the plate at his knees, and he still put it into right, deliberately. I am impressed.

218. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Well, at least we got a run out of it.

219. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

1 run on 4 hits. At least they got a run, but not capitalizing. This game should be 7-1

220. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Is there a reason Davey is not resting Flores, he is killing us at the plate, why not let him rest and play Solodano?I hope 5-1 holds, feel like it should be 7-1. Bo Porter, another dumb call, that is 3 in two weeks. Was not Bryce's fault, Nats radio said Porter sent him.

221. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Gonat, yes should be 7-1 at least 6-1

222. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Mick..our Beat Reporters have reported that it will take JFLO being dragged off the field in order to get him out of the lineup.. I have a feeling he gets one of the days off in this series.BTW.. GOOD On Ejax for buckling down and getting through 7.

223. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM

MicheleS, the Kings lead seems to be following the Nats. 4-0

224. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Gonat.. I love it!! Nothing better than watching the Stanley Cup being celebrated (and I hope it is tonight). I have friends that are Kings Fans so I am rooting for them!!!

225. rogieshan - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM

226. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

There's a night game tomorrow, and a day game Wednesday. Flores won't catch both of them, so if he didn't catch tonight, Soldano gets 2, and that's not going to happen. And if Flores is killing them, half the teams that play on any given day would love to die like that, up 5-1.

227. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Nice, ALR!

228. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I still haven't found that ALR Shersey at the Team store.. sigh.. I love good defense.

229. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

rogieshan said… Desmond going the opposite field is a wonderful sign of a maturing hitter — looking very Jeter-like. June 11, 2012 9:35 PM ___________________________Insert photo of Davey smiling. Also another clutch hit w/ RISP and 2 outs.

230. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

WOW.. Ank hits the long ball!

231. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Swing hard in case you hit it, Rick!

232. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I like Francisco Cordero!

233. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Short by an inch. Man, that Flores is killing us!

234. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Thomas Boswell‏@ThomasBoswellWPNats=bad situational hitting. Wasted ~3 runs. Desmond, blooming, saves game 'mo' w 2-out RBI hit. Lead 5-1. Still, waste is often punished.My answer to Boz:MicheleS‏@AshburnNatsFan@ThomasBoswellWP You do realize we are winning? Right?

235. Can of Corn - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Has anyone seen any Expos gear in the crowd? I thought there would at least be a handful of diehards. Of course, I realize it's a Monday night and Montreal is a healthy six hour drive from Toronto.

236. Candide - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

6-1… dang, we might even win this one…

237. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Soul, you're kidding, yes?

238. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Looks like we get an HRod sighting tonight.

239. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I thought HRod was still on the DL?!?

240. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Yes Jane.. Sould is kidding…JFLO is our backbone and the poor guy couldn't get a home run (he deserves a slow trot arount the bases)

241. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Jane, I was responding to Mick.

242. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Taking the Mickey, you might say.

243. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

And Boz and I are having a disagreement:Thomas Boswell‏@ThomasBoswellWP@AshburnNatsFan That's not how u watch baseball, imo. Good managers can win by 5 & be disgusted. For 162 it's 'how did we play,' not score.MicheleS‏@AshburnNatsFan@ThomasBoswellWP And I have NO doubt that Davey will address that. Ank was already talking to Harp about that out at 3rd.

244. Grandstander - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Way to break out of a slump with a homer Rick! We'll need his bat with Bernadina out for an unknown time period.

245. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

This is one way to give Clip a night off.

246. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Bernadina has hamstring pull

247. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

What time is the Insider thing at Penn Quarter on Thursday? I'm trying to talk my husband into meeting some of my Imaginary Friends.

248. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

so does Ejax close?

249. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Go get 'im, Michele!

250. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

JaneB.. 6 to 8 pm

251. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

For what it's worth, I watch like MichelleS does. I disagree with Boz, too.

252. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Jane, as I recall, a surprising number sent regrets. No reason not to go, you just might not want to get his hopes up.

253. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Not being a downer on a great night but a realist in that Ank gets a hit which is great except it is another low leverage hit. Desmond and Harper have been the go to guys in high leverage situations.

254. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Gonat, yes, but … this is a hitter's ball park. That out-of-grand-slam-range run is not trivial.

255. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Marlins win 4-1, Yankees still lead Barves 3-0 in the 9th.

256. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Glad Davey isn't screwing around. W's are more important than complete games and padding stats.

257. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Really great, great outting EJax!

258. rogieshan - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

"Bernadina has hamstring pull."Nady must have nine lives, or a very useful voodoo doll.

259. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

REALLY??? we can't do anything the easy way!

260. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

PHEW!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! No Let Down from Boston!

261. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

And that's where the 3-run lead feels so much easier.

262. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Hurrah!(And Gio, you really should pick @LinSpenc126 for the gala).

263. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Hope Morrow gets well next week. Very nice win. Didn't get the blow-out win, did get a nice Win. No Kardiac moments tonight. Braves lost. Nats lead over the Braves is now 3.

264. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

another curly Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

265. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

ESPN.. BBTN about to do a big thing on Stras…

266. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

267. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Strange how Nats lead tracked the Kings lead. Nats win by 3 and Kings up by 3.

268. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

"WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).And, Michele, don't let Boz give you any grief. He's so used to covering a loser, he doesn't appreciate this bunch.GYFNG!!!

269. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

mick said… If Wang's breaking ball is on tomorrow, we are n good shape, if not then we are lookig at a high scoring game 7-6, 8-7 June 11, 2012 10:16 PM _____________________________Need his sinker to be sinking!

270. rogieshan - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Wonder if we will see Eric Komatsu up to replace Bernadina, or is Marrero ahead of schedule?

271. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Wow, this is a LOT more fun than it used to be!

272. Drew - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM

How about that No. 4 starter? Holy cow.The Nats are 13-8 in the brutal stretch with 11 games to go. How impressive is this?

273. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Do you know what you call a sinker that doesn't sink? A stinker!

274. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

275. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

As we discussed early in the game was EJax struggling in the 1st and then getting in a groove.Key stat Good news/Bad news Team RISP: 4-for-18

276. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM

anyone know how Werth and Storen rehab is going?

277. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Wang pitching well tomorrow is critical… we do not need issues at the 5th spot if we plan on playing in October.

278. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM

MicheleS said… It's weird.. In Boz's columns.. Boz is always pouring the Koolaid and on twiter he gets testy. Maybe with the columns he has a chance to ponder what happened in the game and on twitter he just reacts (just like we do). June 11, 2012 10:24 PM ________________________________We said before how Boz goes hot & cold. I don't have a problem with anything he said as he was right but to some it does make some of this hot/cold look a bit disingenous.

279. jeffwx - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM

A good win I thought. Did we really leave an unusual number of runners LOB ?

280. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Try that again "disingenuous"

281. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM

what did Boz say?? I miss something

282. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

jeffwx said… A good win I thought. Did we really leave an unusual number of runners LOB ? June 11, 2012 10:33 PM __________________________Again, good news bad news. Nats had lots of runners LOB but also scored 6 runs which is well above average.

283. mick - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

we have to rest Flores for Yankees series, play the kid Tues and wed

284. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Mick. read thru the game thread and Boz and i going back and forth on Twitter.

285. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

What you call a sinker that doesn't sink? A dinger.

286. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Hey all,My comment about my 4-weeks-fan daughter generated a lot of positive comments — thanks all!Just wanted to report her observations today (she's learning fast, and has a couple of good instincts)1. Upon turning on the game, she was completely disoriented. What's grass doing in the infield? she asked (she'd never seen an indoor game or a game on artificial turf yet). When I explained that it's a domed stadium, she pronounced her judgement: playing indoors is against the spirit of baseball.2. She immedately noticed Morse's shave3. When Morse got the sac fly, she turned to me and said, "that was a productive out" (a phrase she learned from me yesterday when I was ranting about Flores' K and Shark's bunt pop up with guys on 2nd and 3rd — "if you make an out with guys on base, especially if a guy is on third, it has to be productive" I explained yesterday.)4. When Ankiel hit the HR, she turned to me and said, "see, when he hits it, he hits it far — I've never seen him on first base except when he walks."Dang, she's really getting the hang of this!

287. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Storen threw off a mound again today…first time was Friday. Don't know anything about Werth.

288. NatsNut - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Ho hum, just another win.=)

289. sjm308 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I am guessing there will be no instant analysis so I was forced to look at in-game posts. It wasn't too horrible but I continue to be amazed at the negativity during this wonderful season. We have a 5 run lead going into the 9th and people are still complaining it should be more.Flores gets his day off tomorrow, will catch Stras in the afternoon and then get a 2nd day off on Thursday as we come home to play the Yankees.I agree with Soul Possesion, if he is killing us then please keep it up. People are always talking about offense but Flores calls a great game and has the pitchers confidence. Its like asking for Davey to rest LaRoche, his defense alone will save us almost every day and he is on track for over 20 home runs this year so why would you rest him?Ankiel crushed that ball and I am sure no one will give him any credit either.We are guaranteed to return home in first place and I don't know how you can ask for more. Michelle, don't let Boz push you around. He has flip flopped more times then I can count and you have been there since day 1. Wooooo Hoooo!!Go Nats

290. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Tweets or comments during the game can't count against any ones long term record. I may not always agree with Boz but he does usually back up his opinions with numbers. Changing your mind in baseball is like Earl Weaver's quote. Everything changes everything. Nats Win. Great Game funny Davey interview.

291. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Loving the daughter reports, wonk. Good for you both. My daughter also noticed the odd grass, and no dirt between the bases, even before I did.

292. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

JaneB said… But what about your Imaginary Friends who may hail from NJ, MichelleS? You root for and with us, right?Count me as another imaginary friend from NJ. Will I see any of you Thursday night?

293. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM

5-1 on an empty netter and the Kings will win Lord Stanley's Cup.

294. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Uh, make that 6-1

295. sjm308 - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Mick – we have Thursday off, why would you rest Flores more then just Tuesday? He thrives on being in the game and it will probably kill him to take off tomorrow. He knows what happened the last time he was injured and does not want to be in that position again. Just enjoy what he brings and stop worrying.

296. ehay2k - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

297. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Wonk Your daughter has seen Ankiel walk?Another child being raised correctly. Thanks for sharing.

298. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

ehay2k said… Funny to hear Ejax say to Kristina that he had to keep up with the youngsters. Easy to forget that Gio and Stras and Zimnn are all so young. Nice to remember that they are also all under team control. That alone might make Ejax want to re-sign with the Nats next year. June 11, 2012 10:46 PM __________________________________If EJax can get out to a quick 3 outs in the 1st, he would look like an Ace to make it 4-of-a-kind. A-A-A-A

299. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM

sjm, nice thoughts. It seemed like the frustration at leaving men on base was unfortunately overshadowing the awesome pitching of EJax. Pitching 8 tonight allowing just four hits — great job, helps rest the bullpen, etc. (And I think he improved upon his already league leading fewest-pitches-per-inning).And, slightly bigger picture: while we had 9 LOB, we also had 14 hits! You can afford to leave men on base if so many are getting on that you're still scoring six of them!And, even bigger picture: fourth straight win, winners of 7 of last 10, 3 games in first, 5 games ahead of others, best record of any team in baseball except the Dodgers

300. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

The Fox said… Wonk Your daughter has seen Ankiel walk?Last Thrs night he walked twice. (In the last three-1/2 weeks, he walked only one other time!)Another child being raised correctly. Thanks for sharing.Awww — thanks.

301. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Cubs sign Jorge Soler, the 20-year-old Cuban outfielder to a nine year contract somewhere between 25 and 35 million. The Brave were also in the running. I wonder if the Nats tried to sign him? He will probably be in the minors for 2 years.

302. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

303. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

See your daughter was paying attention more than I was.

304. Kevin Rusch - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Not for nothing, but the Nats' magic number is 100 right now. Just sayin'.

305. ehay2k - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Ejax said he didn't have his best stuff tonight. I hope the youngsters hear that and ask him how he battled through it. Funny to hear about other daughters of NI denizens. Mine is almost 14, and goes to Nats games more for the experience , including junk food, than the game itself. (Oh, how we both miss Five Guys!) But tonight she surprised me by stopping her texting to catch some of the game, and promptly noting there was no dirt on the base paths. Brought a big smile to my face.

306. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM

‏@Charlie_Slowes: @ThomasBoswellWP In defense of Bryce, Bo waived him to 3B.‏@ThomasBoswellWP: @Charlie_Slowes Charlie, you could see clearly from one replay angle that Porter did not wave him at any point his last 150 feet._____________________________NatsLady said… Bo didn't put up the stop sign. Looks like he waved him on, but only once Bryce had already rounded second. FP does NOT approve. June 11, 2012 8:42 PM Gonat said… Bo didn't wave him on, Bo didn't give him the stop sign. Bo didn't do nothing except give him the slide sign. Huh? Does Bo not give signs when Bryce is on the base path? June 11, 2012 8:42 PM _________________________________NatsLady and I wrote differing views at the same time. I didn't see any motion from Bo the last 90 feet.I find it interesting that Charlie saw something. I replayed it and didn't see any arm movements.

307. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:11 AM

ehay2k there is a five guys on 2nd and M near the other entrance to the Metro. You can bring it into the ball park too.

308. sjm308 - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I replayed that as well and saw nothing from Bo that indicated he was waving him on. I also did not see a stop sign, just the "hit the dirt" signal when it was obvious there was going to be a play.I think FP has it right, Bryce is going to run until someone tags him out or he scores. This is obviously something that will be curbed as he continues to mature and grow into one of the finest players to ever play the game.ESPN now has us at 70% chance of playoffs with that silly thing on the far right of the standings. I can remember when we were in first place early in the season and they still had us at something like 25%. Guess we have impressed someone although I think the % is probably not too reliable a tool. I do know that we have the 2nd best winning percentage in baseball and that is a fact!!Go Nats!!

309. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM

ehay2k said… Funny to hear about other daughters of NI denizens. Mine is almost 14, and goes to Nats games more for the experience , including junk food, than the game itself.My daughter was the same way, from 2005 (age 10) until just four weeks ago.Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa said… Wonk, I move we collectively adopt your daughter as the Phenom of the Nats Insider.Wow! I have no idea if she'd be flattered, but I am!Wait — let me tell you one other astounding thing that came out of her mouth. We were thinking of going to the game next Tuesday (a week from tomorrow) . . . she was quiet for a minute, and then said, "Strasburg would be pitching then, right?" This, from a girl who's just heard of "American League" a few days ago, and still doesn't understand the DH.

310. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM

ESPN now has us at 70% chance of playoffs with that silly thing on the far right of the standings. I can remember when we were in first place early in the season and they still had us at something like 25%. So, if you're not actually betting on the outcome, what difference does it make that ESPN or whomever predicts XYZ?

311. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Wow! I have no idea if she'd be flattered, but I am!I'll take that to be a second. Moved and seconded. All in favor?

312. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Mike Trout just hit a HR out there in LA. He steps into the pitches JUST like Ryan Z, it's eerie.

313. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:38 AM

aye

314. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Opposed?

315. Gonat - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:42 AM

sjm308 said… I replayed that as well and saw nothing from Bo that indicated he was waving him on. I also did not see a stop sign, just the "hit the dirt" signal when it was obvious there was going to be a play.I think FP has it right, Bryce is going to run until someone tags him out or he scores. This is obviously something that will be curbed as he continues to mature and grow into one of the finest players to ever play the game.June 11, 2012 11:27 PM ___________________________________On the Toronto broadcast, their guy said, Bryce should learn from that. 3 things on that play, Bryce had to freeze on the line drive, Bautista has an above average arm, discretion is the better part of valor.This is 3 aggressive outs in the last week. 2 of them took the Nats out of scoring position. This one wasn't even close.

316. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Motion carries.

317. Doc - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:02 AM

The Nats won, eh!

318. Doc - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:05 AM

The Nats won, eh!

319. SonnyG10 - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:27 AM

According to Davey in his post-game interview, he said Bo appologized to him for sending Bryce to third, but Davey said he had no problem with it. He said it would take a perfect throw to get him and that's what happened. Can't blame this one on Bryce!

320. Section 222 - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Sounds like a great game. I watched Nats Extra, and some of the highlights. I'm surprised that Boz and folks here are relying on the replay of the Bautista gunning out Harper at third to decide whose fault it was, especially when Charlie, who was in the park, said that Bo waved Bryce to third. No replay showed Bo during the time that Bryce was running from first to second. That's when the sign would have been made. Once Bryce was tearing to third, of course there was no arm waving. Davey confirmed that it was Bo's decision to send him. In that situation, I simply don't agree with FP that once you freeze, "the gig is up." Bryce had no way to see what happened after the ball got past him and headed into right. Maybe the ball was bobbled, maybe it skipped past Bautista and went to the wall. How is he supposed to see that unless he turns around and looks, which he should never do? He had to rely on Bo, and Bo made the wrong decision. End of story.

321. Scooter - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I think we need to spend lots and lots of time discussing who sent Harper. Unfortunately, I can't make it, so I hope y'all can do this without me. Let me know what we decide.Hey Wonk, I'll see you Thursday. (You too, Jane, if y'all come.) And hey, bring your kid! I'd like to see what my daughter might be like in 11 years.Fun fact for everybody: the team that leaves more dudes on base wins the majority of the time. Okay, just a bit over .500, and it's not something you TRY to do, but still.

322. m20832 - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Hey! They WON again! BH may have sparked the Nats offense, but there are other talented players on this team also.GYFNG!!!!!!!!

323. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The Harper out of 3ed play was destine to be an out with a good throw, as he took a step back toward first, when it appeared the 1B man had a chance at a shoe top catch, at that point not enough momentum to make it to third. Another learning experience. Didn't cost us the game, just learn from it, when not enough momentum you can't go.

324. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

It's a learned reflex to freeze on line drives in the infield, but in this case, if Cooper does catch that ball in the air, Harper had no way to get back to first anyway. Even if he hadn't hesitated, and hadn't run so wide coming around second, the play at third would have been closer, but he might still have been out. On that fast surface, with Bautista in right, it was over-reaching to try for third, but that's what they do–force the other team to make a play, and that's good, but sometimes the other guy is good, too.