Game 60: Nats at Blue Jays

Jun 12, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats go for their fifth straight win tonight at Rogers Centre.

The start of Chien-Ming Wang's season hasn't exactly gone the way the Nationals (or the veteran right-hander) hoped it would, but tonight he'll get a chance to right his ship when he takes the mound in Toronto. Wang showed signs of progress from his first start to his second start, and he'll look to take another step forward tonight against the Blue Jays.

Wang will have a familiar target behind the plate in Jhonatan Solano, who gets the nod in place of Jesus Flores. This is Solano's third major-league start, and all three have come with Wang as his batterymate. Coincidence?

Meanwhile, Davey Johnson's plan to give Roger Bernadina more playing time was derailed when Bernadina strained his hamstring sliding into third base during last night's game. So Rick Ankiel is back in center field tonight (and probably tomorrow).

As you know, I'm not in Toronto for this series, so please enjoy the conversation among yourselves…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at TORONTO BLUE JAYS
Where: Rogers Centre
Gametime: 7:07 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 178
Weather: Indoors

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Scott from Burke - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Ankiel went yard last night…the start of a hot streak? Hope so

2. Tcostant - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Best part about tonight is Wang doesn't have to hit (or run the bases). ;)

3. bowdenball - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM

This DH thing is a lot less offensive when we get to take Wang out of the lineup instead of Zimmermann and the other team's DH is David Cooper instead of David Ortiz.

4. Scooter - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Tcostant, my dad and I want Wang to just never step off the rubber. We decided that it would not be permissible to erect a fence around the mound, but perhaps one of those electronic dog collars would do the trick. The downside is that he'd probably pull something the first time he got zapped.

5. Bigfish - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Tcostant: "Best part about tonight is Wang doesn't have to hit (or run the bases). ;)"Yeah, but he still has to field infield dribblers & bunts. He seems to be susceptible to injury when he's doing anything except standing on the mound & throwing the ball. He does that one thing very well, but an athlete he's not.

6. Bigfish - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Scooter, you're quicker than me — and funnier ;-)

7. whatsanattau - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM

So, when does DeRosa get activated. I thought they were predicitng Monday (yesterday) then nothing…

8. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Wang is the first pitcher I've seen that warrants a designated fielder. The guy just isn't very athletic.

9. Section 222 - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM

It has finally sunk in that the Zim's Night in the Park is Thursday. I remember last year when the guys were out late partying and preening at that event and played a listless game the following afternoon. I hope they won't repeat that this year when the Yankees come to town.So Davey, if you're reading, maybe you can suggest that they make an appearance at ZNP, then get to bed early. Unless, of course, they want to drop by the Insider's event that night….

10. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

TCostant.. I second that!!!Scooter.. LMAO!!! I don't like the zappers though.. wouldn't put one on my dogs..

11. Scooter - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Bigfish, there's room for both of us in this pond.

12. Scooter - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Michele, I'm not asking you to put one on your dog, just Wang.

13. ignobel - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Is Detwiler warming up yet? I do not feel great about Wang's performances to date. He seemed more lucky that improved in giving up ony 2 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks in 5 innings last time, and that faux turf is not a ground ball pitcher's ideal.

14. Kevin Rusch - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Any word on the severity of Bernadina's injury?BTW, the Nats' magic number is 100.

15. Jaxpo Nat - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Hide the women and children!! Adrian Johnson has the plate tonight! Farewell consistent, accurate strike zone. We hardly knew thee.

16. TimDz - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Scooter…nicely played…Bonus points of all those double entendre's were intentional…

17. Grandstander - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Scott from Burke said…Ankiel went yard last night…the start of a hot streak? Hope soI was thinking the exact same thing. Ankiel can be a very streaky hitter. Sometimes, crushing a 4-seamer grooved over the plate can be all you need to get off the schnide.

18. Section 222 - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Must see video == if this doesn't put a smile on your face, you must be in a coma. Kenyan Schoolchildren reenact Game 6 of 1986 WS

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Need a great start by CMW!

20. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

More Nats Love from the 4 letter network:Break up the Nats Staff And most of the stats they had in the article have already been posted on this site.

21. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Every single day I check the standings and do a double take. It just doesn't seem real. I think I should be enjoying it more and worrying and stewing less, though. I think as a team they are exciting to watch and as individuals we can be very proud that they represent us. Very balanced efforts lately, pitching, hitting and defense. Is this what it's like when a plan starts to come together? Go Nats!!!

22. Tcostant - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Did everyone here that Gio is looking for a date on twitter for the Nats Gala. No kidding…http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/11/gio-gonzalez-turns-to-twitter-for-a-date/

23. Clip&Store - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

why does it seem like whenever i log onto the gamethread here he says that he's not at _(insert city)_ ?Its like he's not there more than he is there

24. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

MicheleS — GREAT LINK!!!!

25. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Tcostant.. Yup all the ladies on the board saw it… Read the thread from yesterday. Hopefully he takes JaneB's daughter.

26. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Clip&Store.. blame CSN for our fearless leader not being on the road.

27. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

222, how fabulous! And what a great piece, MichelleS! Love the extra bonus features. And I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who wants to confine Wang to the mound.

28. Doc - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Great video of the kids in Kenya Section 222. I was looking for Kid Carter in the credits–he would have loved it too.

29. Clip&Store - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Okay sounds good MichelleS haha

30. Tcostant - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

If I was Gio, I would just ask Kristina Akra.

31. A DC Wonk - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I second that emotion — MicheleS — great link.Great quote:barring an injury barrage or a total offensive meltdown, it's hard to imagine a scenario where they don't make the playoffs. Once there, is there a more terrifying opponent anywhere? They've got 2010 Giants written all over them; great staff, great bullpen, and just enough offense…What's funny is that we _have_ had total offensive meltdowns (see: 2012, April) and an injury barrage (see: 2012, April-May) — and we're _still_ in first place.To repeat it again — because it's so awesome to hear the national press say it:it's hard to imagine a scenario where they don't make the playoffs. Once there, is there a more terrifying opponent anywhere?

32. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

So weird to think that other teams have to go through us to get where they want to go. And that they might be apprehensive about it. So cool.

33. DCGuy7 - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Once there, is there a more terrifying opponent anywhere? hate to say it, but…um, yes – the Dodgers.

34. baseballswami - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Are we done playing the dodgers? I think we are done with pittsburgh and cincy.

35. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Swami.. Nope we get the Dodgers at home Sep 18-20.. ugh…

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

MicheleS, good point. On any given day you can read the comments and stats here and write an article.

37. CN - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Dodgers visit Nats park in mid-September and probably again in mid-October… heheh

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

39. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I miss the in-game updates, myself. This all makes a little more sense when I can tie it in to what happened.

40. pRAA - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Section 222 said… It has finally sunk in that the Zim's Night in the Park is Thursday. I remember last year when the guys were out late partying and preening at that event and played a listless game the following afternoon. I hope they won't repeat that this year when the Yankees come to town.There are two par-tay opportunities for the players this weekend. Zim's night on Thursday, and the Dream Foundation Gala Saturday night. Bryce Harper could practice playing hungover like his idol The Mick, 'ceptin he's a Mormon and doesn't drink. He may have a fake ID like most 19 year olds, but it's impotent.

41. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

DC Wonk @ 5:07:I am going outside — right now — to knock on a redwood tree in the park next door to my house. Knocking on simple wood (or particle board or whatever my desk is made of) is not enough. May I suggest that everyone else do something similar? I know you don't have redwoods, but there are poplars and pines and cherry trees and such.Hubris, people, hubris. Remember what happens to the heroes in Greek tragedies?

42. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

He may have a fake ID like most 19 year olds, but it's impotent. Not only that, it's required.

43. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Eugene.. completely agree on the Hubris.Like some have posted previously, too many flash backs to 2005. I hope at some point, thos stop.

44. pRAA - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Crazy thought, last night may have been thé first time this season that a starter got charged with an inherited run scored.How so?

45. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Intentional Talk is having a field day with Gio's twitter request!!!

46. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Updated from Kilgore on DeRosa. Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPSad news, via Davey Johnson: Mark DeRosa's father, Jack, passed away after fighting cancer. DeRosa will be with his family until Friday

47. carolync - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Today is Bernadina's birthday so I hope he didn't get bad news about his hamstring. I couldn't find any updated information on it. I did see speculation that they would call Corey Brown back up if Bernadina has to be put on the DL. DeRosa was supposed to come off the DL but his father is very ill and that may affect his availability.Updated NL fan voting for the ASG came out today. The Nationals and the Diamondbacks are the only NL teams with no players in the top five at any position or among the outfielders. Last week ALR was 5th among first basemen but he has dropped down. I still think we will get Stras, Gio, and maybe Clipp. Seems this is a team without Stars and that doesn't matter as long as we keep winning.

48. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM

And from Amanda on Bernie:Amanda Comak‏@acomakRoger Bernadina doing OK today. Had an MRI that showed no tear in the hamstring. Davey said maybe 2-3 days and he should be OK.So definitely better news for Shark!

49. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I think we will get Bryce also. If not initially, then in the final "fan" vote.

50. ehay2k - Jun 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Hey Natslady, I see you posted on the Grantland blog.can you please tell him to correct Clippard's record? He's not 8-8 in saves attempts, he's 8-friggin0!Too bad for the rest of MLB that with our farm guys, our pitching is about to get a lot better over the next couple of years. And younger to boot!GYFNG!

51. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

ehay2k– He's 8 for 8. (Actually 8 for 9). I think that's what they meant…

52. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Philly fans— keepin' it real. Fake Toughhttp://yfrog.com/nujknfpj

53. NatsLady - Jun 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Some Jesus (Flores) love.And here is his tweet.Jesus Flores ‏@JesusFloresN26Thank you. #I'mVeryProud but for me we are all very Important on the Team"… Read.. http://bit.ly/LQNhqywashington-nationals-jesus-flores-is-most-important-player-on-the-teamhttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/1216629-washington-nationals-jesus-flores-is-most-important-player-on-the-team

54. jeffwx - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I'm getting off the dating sites and will start tweeting my dating needs. Might be more successful if I made the majors.

55. The Fox - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM

222 I loved it! Was actually a Mets fan at the time. These kids deserve academy awards for their performance. It's exactly as I remember it.

56. Scooter - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM

If I was Gio, I would just ask Kristina Akra.Maybe he did.

57. SFNats - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM

This is not your 2005 Nats. No comparison at all.

58. phil dunton - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Sadly, Ryan Zimmerman is going to end up with a Jason Werth 2011 season if he doesn't snap out of his funk. Ever pitcher in the league knows he won't swing at the first two pitches so he's always swinging with an 0-2 or 1-2 count.

59. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM

any articles on Nats draft signings? I see they have signed some guys from their press release.http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33170236&vkey=pr_was&c_id=wasbut don't really see any opinion of anyone regarding that.

60. Joe Seamhead - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Great play, Danny! CMW not getting any help from the home plate ump, but he has been quite lucky anyway.

61. JaneB - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Danny's defense is just awesome.

62. smurff - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Yep, that was a pretty play.

63. smurff - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM

BTW, I Hate turf.

64. MicheleS - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM

BAM BAM!! Geesh that was CRUSHED!

65. Joe Seamhead - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Heck, yeah!

66. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM

why did harper hug gio?

67. jeffwx - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM

in case gio doesn't find a date.

68. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I give up, Faraz–why did the harper hug the gio?

69. jeffwx - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM

oh crud…he should be in center anyway.

70. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I don't know. I was hoping for some witty remarks from you guys. :P2 on, 2 out with Joey Bats at the plate.

71. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

oiy….spoiled, I know I'm spoiled.

72. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

CMW strikes out Edwin with bases loaded. Nice!

73. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Record for most grand slams in a career…L. Gehrig, NY, 23, the iron horse…not tonight, encanarcion

74. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM

There she is, Gio's gal

75. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM

ALR…show em how it's done.Now if we can find a better solution in the lineup for Ankiel/Nady in the outfield before August.

76. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM

oh…never mind lombo/harper/morse or moore/harper/morse when we play the senior circuit rules…OK, Now I have to leave now to get to yankee series in time…What's the record attendance at Nats Park.I think we had 42,313 for a Phils game this May.

77. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM

what's the record for the most consecutive posts in a row on the NI blog ?

78. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Wow Danny is locked in tonight!!!

79. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Danny…..keep batting lefty…

80. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I am sure you broke it.

81. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Darn Michele, I'm goin for the record ;)

82. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Yowza!

83. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Thank you Danny. You're being awesome tonight.

84. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:19 AM

5, a record that will never be broken…likeDimaggio's 56 game hitting streak in 1941. He lost 10k when he didn't get that hit in Cleveland that night cause Heinz 57 was to pay him if he could have gotten one more hit in more game.He's just a man and not a freak, joltin joe

85. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM

great to see that run score. with no outs, that should have happened sooner but cool with Danny's blast.

86. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Nationals ParkCapacity 41,487Record attendance 44,685, August 20, 2011 vs (Phillies)Will we break it this weekend ????

87. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM

why can't CMW have a normal 1-2-3 inning?

88. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Stop walking people….

89. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

See, he listened to me.

90. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Jeff Mathis didn't know what went Wang on that called third strike.

91. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Wang looks drained. Really. Wonder if Davey will take him out when he won't qualify for the win. He did that with Detwiler.

92. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Joe, can you hear me groaning from here? ;-)

93. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM

He'll give him another shot. He hasn't thrown too many pitches, and we're up 3-0. The bullpen will probably be up and running.

94. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

9 double plays…ouch

95. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

come on

96. Jon Schultz - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Did not see that DP coming out of RZ :(

97. Exposremains - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM

why can't Zim hit fly balls anymore

98. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Let's see a nice easy 1, 2,3 here.

99. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Jane, I'm sorry, I really am, but the look on Mathis' face made me do it!

100. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM

shoulder hurtin ? maybe he could take tomorrow afternoon off

101. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I hate when our pitchers walk guys

102. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

maybe cmw forgot they changed the rules for walks from 9 balls, to 8,6, 5 and finally 4 by 1903.

103. phil dunton - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Jon: Zimmerman is a double play machine with a runner on first. It is almost automatic.

104. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM

i mean 1893.

105. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Watching Wang pitch is quite an adventure, eh? How badly do you think BH's back is hurting – I think pretty bad at this point.He was having trouble hiding it after his throw.I hope they tie him down and check it on Thursday before the big weekend series. He would play if he had a limb hanging off of him.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM

DP called that one on the nose. He called for harper to be running to keep out of the double play. Zim needs to hit the ball to the outfield in the air on those kin of blays and he topping it. No way you can elevate those.

107. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Carp's advice to Davey to "empty the bullpen tonight" because Stras is pitching tomorrow makes absolutely no sense. Jesus hasn't pitched past the seventh inning all season. If Davey heeds Sunshine's advice — a scary thought — who's going to pitch at least the eighth and ninth innings Wednesday?

108. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Time to pull Det in. He is going to need 3 solid innings out of Det.

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

How bad does Wang have to get before they pull him. He was awful in the third and 4th and worse in the 5th. I have hated this move from day one, and still do. If I am going to give up runs I want younster doing not an old injured guy.

110. NatsNut - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Eugene, I didn't see Wonk's comments as hubris, they sounded more like AWE. @baseball swami, I feel the same as you in your 4:49 comment.

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Fresh bullpen. What am I missing?

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM

And why is Wang starting?

113. NatsNut - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I'm getting our catchers totally mixed up. Which one hurt his ankle in his debut?

114. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

How is it the Mike Minor of the braves has 6.06 era and the Yankees can't do anything against him? Braves up 3-0

115. Drew - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Jiminy Christmas.Mandatory forehead tattoos for all pitchers.Do not give meatballs to Votto, Uggla, Stanton, McCutcheon, Bautista…

116. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM

But on a happier note, the Twins are beating the Phils 4-0

117. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM

NatsNut – it wasn't Wonk's comments, but the quote cited.

118. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Great, Wang now qualifies for the W. Bad news is the lead is at 1 run now.

119. rabbit34 - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Harper's back didn't hurt him after the throw. He was just frustrated he didn't get the runner out at third.

120. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM

And the drumbeats are starting:Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPRoss Detwiler in for Wang after 5 innings. If Detwiler pitches well tonight, hard to see the Nats not at least considering a change

121. Tim - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I really feel for Ross Detwiler. Although he struggled in the two starts leading up to Wang's callup and his own demotion, he was dominant and had his ERA below 3.The Nats are just stuck with Wang and his salary. They're not gonna put Wang in Syracuse. Their only options are bullpen (not well-suited) or trade. But Wang has to show something to have trade value. He hasn't thus far.I want to see Det back in the rotation. Now's his chance to shine.(first batter… Almost an oops)

122. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM

How long is the wang experiment going to last? And when is he due up next – please tell me so I don't pay for a ticket. Painful. If any of our other pitchers so much as give up a single or walk a batter past the first inning they get yanked immediately. When have they seen enough?

123. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Oh – and I am sick of hearing that Wang can't pitch out of the bullpen – last time I looked he got a win coming out of the bullpen.

124. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM

YAY Solano!!! Baby Nat gets his first HR!!!

125. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Excellent article by Amanda on Vision Training I can think of a few guys that should do this as well.

126. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I missed the dugout shot of them ignoring the baby catcher after his first homer! If you are reading up there in the booth… Make them show it again please!

127. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Det was lucky on his first batter he faced. CMW wasn't sharp, but he did work out of several jams that he made for himself. He will get at least one more start, would be my bet.Way to go Solano!

128. Tim - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM

129. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I love them! Thank you for showing that again!

130. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Possible post of the day candidate:Tim said… Swami… It's just that he takes 2 innings to warm up. You could get Estaban Loaiza out of retirement and warmed up quicker than that.

131. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I thought that lead was back down to one on that swing by Rasmus.

132. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

PHEW! Det is playing with fire. Now Craig.. Get over the fact thatyou are not the closer and SHUT down Joey BATS!

133. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

It's nice to see Det smile. And Davey's "sheessh" look to Desi was priceless.

134. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

That's five balls hit off of Det that went to the wall. He was very lucky that none went out.

135. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I think Wang deserves more chances.

136. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Is agree with you! Faraz.

137. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM

You may be right, but how will we all survive it?

138. NatsNut - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM

the icy dugout on Solano's homer was PRICELESS! Jane B, It's a highlight on the main site already.

139. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Is Stammen losing his mojo? Tell me no!!!

140. Nats212 - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM

KEEP THE ROOF OPEN!!!!

141. Tim - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Mojos come and go, ebb and flow… just ask Espi.

142. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Why would harper bunt?

143. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:24 AM

And they pick him off .. geesh

144. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Arod just hit a Grand Slam off Venters. Tied at 4

145. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

ARod just hit a grand slam to tie the Braves.

146. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Swami, Rizzo, and the team in general, invested a ton of time, money,and heart and soul in CMW. They aren't going to give up on him too easily.

147. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Clipp warming up, eh? Why not? He's had 24 hours off.Davey, Davey, Davey…

148. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:41 AM

We need the yanks to win two more games, and then go on a three game losing streak.

149. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I really like that we don't routinely boo our guys the way other fans do. In our section, we don't even let it happen when it HRod blowing up. Even these Canadian people are booing their own team.

150. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM

that was right down the middle.

151. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Ready or not, here he comes! They can't hide!

152. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM

That's one…

153. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM

And two…

154. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!Bring out the brooms for tomorrow!!!

155. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaand three!!

156. Nats212 - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

If u cant beat wang u cant beat the nats!

157. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Another series! How much fun is this! I wish Werh wasn't missing this. Wilson, too.GYFNG!

158. Drew - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM

This is amazing. What a blast!The Nats are 14-8 in the brutal stretch with 10 games to go.Fourteen games over .500 and Dr. Strasburg will see you now.P.S. Solano can hit!WOOOHOOO!!!!!!

159. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Awesome! Glad we won. Should have scored some more runs I think, but okay for now.btw just so you know, that GS by ARod tied him with Lou for all time leader. Still dislike him!

160. NatsNut - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM

This is just amazing. Thanks boys!

161. TimDz - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

(In homage to my Philly fan neighbor): Hey Nats Insiders…Can I get a "HELL YA?"

162. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I know we shouldn't be scoreboard watching this early in the season, but the Marlins and Braves have lost and the Phillies are losing. Mets, on the other hand, appear to have their game under control.

163. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Speaking of mojo–has Venters lost his? Not looking so good this year.

164. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

What's the theory on why Danny is doing so well from the left now? Are we done worrying about him?

165. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Eugene – I do it every day – I never used to , but I just can't help myself.

166. Joe Seamhead - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Braves and Marlins both lost, Twins and Phillies are in a dogfight.

167. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Hell ya! (and Eugene and Swami, I WOULD be watching the scoreboard, but my daughter beats me to it…)

168. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Ok TimDz – Hell YA!!!Nice road trip. Once again, the Nats surpass expectations. And it looks like everyone in the NL east lost tonight but the Mets. (OK, the Phillies have not lost yet, but they are losing to the Twins.) I almost want to check the Phiilies blogs to see the whining. But I will wait until the morning. Wang looked OK, pretty much as should be expected given where he is in the season. He is a few steps back of the rest of the staff, but improving each start. Soon, he will be good enough to keep, or be trade-able as a rental to an AL team looking for an arm. :-) OK, let's sweep the Jays tomorrow! Gooooooooooo Nats!

169. NCNatsie - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

We are now on pace to win 100 games.

170. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah-so sweet!

171. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah-so sweet!

172. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I like that Davey called out Morse and Zimmerman. Too many DP's for Zim.

173. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Zim and Morse will work it out and when they do…. Bang Zoom!!!I love Soldano!!!

174. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Wang looked better, maybe 2 more starts and we may see the kid that won 19 back in nY

175. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM

and speaking of NY…. Is this weekend at Nats park going to be wild or what!!!! Sold out 3 games!!!! Let's see where we are against the DAMN YANKEESyer blind ump, your blind ump, ya must be outta yer mind Ump, what Lola wants Lola getsI LOVE IT!!!!!

176. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Bryce is gonna have him some fun against his future team, that is fo' sho'!!!! He is READY!

177. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Bryce is a Nat for LIFE,what are you talking about Nats Lady?????

178. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:53 AM

If the Lerners lose Bryce Harper, ever, they would become lower than Bob Short who is already Lucifer's Biotch, lol

179. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Wang will be fine. Gotta admire Davey for leaving him in, man he's got guts, actually they both do–CMW was spent by the end of the 4th, I have no idea how he got three outs in the 5th only giving up the 2-run bomb to Joey Bats.

180. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM

181. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:00 AM

mick, he has rooted for Yanks since he was a kid. Very likely that he would be eager to sign with them once he is a free agent. Yes, that can change if our ballclub influences him enough.

182. Drew - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM

The Nats are chasing down the Dodgers for the best record in baseball, and it's no fluke.The emerging offense has put the Nats among the game's elite in run differential.1. Rangers have scored 79 more than they've allowed.2. Cardinals + 553. Dodgers + 504. Yankees + 455. Nats + 38This is a really good team.

183. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Drew, nice post. The stats are even better when you realize we have been without some of our best players most of the season. Still without our starting RF and catcher. Those guys are worth a few runs right there.

184. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Farah… it would be foolish to let him go, Lerners will not let it happen. Also, I am having fun tonight and speaking of Bryce…. I have found the truth of where Bryce is from, below is the link, lolhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnz5K287U6o

185. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Phillies lose!

186. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Found this on Toronto site:Harper correctly stomped Canadian TV foof 4 asking about having a post-game beer since he's legal here: "That's a clown question, bro"…lmao harperThe Kid is Halley's Comet. Just watch it fly because you ain't seeing another in your lifetime.

187. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 AM

The Twinkles are HOT. 10 of 13. Now, who was complaining the Fils got them instead of the AL East?

188. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:51 AM

From Twitter, LOL:Enrico ‏@The700LevelSiri, why are the Phillies so awful at baseball this season?

189. The Fox - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:04 AM

NatsLady said,(about CMW),I have no idea how he got three outs in the 5th only giving up the 2-run bomb to Joey Bats.______Quote of the night. That's the game right there. I don't know what creature inhabited CMW body tonight….2 strikeouts both LOOKING one at the bottom of the 3rd with 2 on and one with the bases loaded bottom of the 4th and somehow he does a Houdini act bottom of the 5th after the 2 run bomb? How did Davey leave him in???I think that really is the difference between CMW and Detwiler the house can be burning down around CMW and women and children can be jumping out of the windows and you don't get a change of expression from CMW. With all due respect to Adam Kilgore if Davey can sit through that I don't think Det is taking his job anytime soon.

190. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Not a bad point, Fox. Of course, Detwiler's actual performance wasn't much of a case for stealing anyone's job in the first place. I don't think all those warning-track shots were quite what he intended.

191. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:39 AM

For your reading pleasure. And BTW, Davey–Clip's shoulder, PLEASE!!!! Those first coupla change-ups were Henry-like!coolstandings ‏@coolstandingsMIN 11, PHI 7. #Phillies playoff chances now 9.9%.

192. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I'm dreadfully past deadline and late on this, but here goes:"WOOO-HOOOO!!!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).It's June 13, Nats are 37-23, and still in soul possession of first in the NL East.What a ride.

193. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Got back in time for the last innings, only, but I am loving this Solano story. And don't sell Chien Ming Wang short–gutting it out through five, keeping your team in the game, and leaving with a lead, when you clearly don't have much stuff actually working, is a pro effort. If not for one pitch, maybe he leaves with a shutout–that ain't bad, for a fifth starter.

194. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM

jeffwx said… what's the record for the most consecutive posts in a row on the NI blog?I think my own record is around 12 this year. Someone else was keeping track of it, he seemed to be bothered by it.

195. Karolina - Jun 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM