Game 61: Nats at Blue Jays

Jun 13, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nationals try to complete a sweep today at Rogers Centre.

In their seven-plus seasons in D.C., the Nationals have never gone 6-0 on a road trip. The way things are going in 2012, this probably won't be the last time they have an opportunity to do something they've never done before.

If you're going to try to pull off your second straight sweep on the road, might as well send your ace to the mound. Yep, Stephen Strasburg gets the nod, looking to improve his record to 8-1 and the team's record to 11-2 when he starts. He'll be opposed by young Kyle Drabek, the Blue Jays' key acquisition from the Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade several years back who to this point is an unimpressive 8-14 with a 5.26 ERA in 29 career starts.

One key change to the Nationals' lineup for this afternoon's getaway matinee at Rogers Centre: Adam LaRoche is not starting for the first time since May 7 (when he missed four games with an oblique strain). So Tyler Moore makes his first career start at first base in LaRoche's place.

Enjoy the game and the conversation as the Nats try to finish off a perfect road trip…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at TORONTO BLUE JAYS
Where: Rogers Centre
Gametime: 12:37 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 178
Weather: Sunny, 65 degrees, Wind 12 mph in from LF

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
DH Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

TyMo… when was the last time a Nat hit 3 HRs in one game?Dunn did it at least once. Also, Josh Willingham hit two grand slams in one game up in Milwaukee in 2009.

2. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

This sort of reminds me of the pre-Soriano days at RFK, when the Nats would hit balls to the warning track, and the other teams would be putting them in the seats. The Jays' flies don't seem to be carrying, do they?

3. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

So, a three-inning save for Stammen?

4. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Jesus Flores–the Contusion That Walks Like A Man

5. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

If both Ronald Reagan and Vladimir Lenin liked the proverb, it clearly has no political slant. I I suppose what it really means is "verify before trusting," which is what I tried to do when I went back to find Scooter's impressively prescient comment. It didn't take long to realize that I wouldn't find a post on Feb. 30, even though this is a leap year. Scooter's downfall was he got greedy. We didn't hear that Morse was injured until March if I'm not mistaken.

6. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Lidge warming in the bullpen.

7. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I think Casey Stengel already knew the quote from somewhere else, but he was using it to make a nonsensical joke:Casey said:"Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa."

8. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

pRAA, I know Soriano did it against the Braves in RFK. I think 2 were against John Smoltz.

9. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM

10 pitch at bat against Encamacion… Stammen lost the battle. Strasburg usually wins out in long at bats.Nattydread

10. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Phew . . . we got through Batisa and Encarnacion in the eight. I trust we won't see them in the ninth, or any more this series

11. Section 215 Row A - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

more from the Toronto broadcast:Now batting, "Jesse Flores…."Just when I thought we were getting some respect…

12. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Wonk, I hope not because even in the worst scenario Blue Jays score at least a run and leave bases loaded with 2 outs for Bautista.

13. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM

jeffwx… I was kidding. It's just that he's the only name caller on this site. Just disagree with him one time. But then again, he thankfully single handedly brought Michael Morse to the Nats.

14. Tcostant - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Lets let Stammen get a three inning save!

15. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That quote was definitely from Yogi.But it's important to remember that he didn't really say everything he said.

16. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

And the Nats are 3 outs away from turning an above .500 AL East team to sub .500 for the second time in a week and in their own house.

17. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Oh, and 222:Scooter's downfall was he got greedy. We didn't hear that Morse was injured until March if I'm not mistaken.I tossed that in because I knew not everybody would be as clever as you, and might need an extra hint.

18. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Oh, do we get Bad Brad again tonight?

19. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Good situation to get Lidge in, imho.

20. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Good idea to bring in Lidge. A nice low pressure situation to get him some work. We're going to need the full bullpen against the Yanks and Rays.

21. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

No, looks like Good Brad.

22. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Brad Lidge… Would be nice to see him get hot…Nattydread

23. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… jeffwx… I was kidding. It's just that he's the only name caller on this site. Just disagree with him one time.Yeah, but disagree with Steve M. and he'll go crying to Mark and get your comments deleted.Really, which is worse?

24. H Le - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Lidge is looking pretty good…

25. Steady Eddie - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Soul — maybe tonight, but thankfully, apparently not this afternoon.

26. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Sec222 — you owe me a coke.

27. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! The first road sweep ever!

28. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Love a wide margin Win and a Sweep!!!!

29. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Awesome!!!

30. Ron In Reston - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Another Curly W in the books!!!

31. NCNatsie - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM

International sweepstakes!!!!

32. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Rogers Centre was really dirty. It needed a good sweeping.

33. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM

10-pitch 1-2-3 inning from a reliever who had ERA of 5+ coming into the game.I'm lovin' this.And maybe Lidge is on the way back, and can give some extra relief to the relief corp!

34. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

this comment intentionally left blank due to a recent cease-and-desist letter from MicheleS's legal team

35. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Sweep-steaks will be served on the plane ride home!

36. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Okay, I have to go and mow the lawn. And then SWEEP the clippings! Yeah!

37. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I hope I see some of you folks tomorrow evening!

38. Tcostant - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM

This why Davey is so good. Lidge gets some work and looks good. Smart.

39. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM

pRAA…..peric….Ghost knows what he's talking about.

40. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Coolest things Mark will never write again:"The Nationals have never gone 6-0 on a road trip.""The Nationals have never won a game at Fenway.""The slugger Tyler Moore is the only Nats position player on the current roster without a home run this year."Other nominations?

41. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

42. Steady Eddie - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Not only a good time to bring Lidge in — and great to see he still can summon up his stuff — but two innings and 37 pitches waas plenty for Stammen. Now he could conceivably come in Saturday if we needed him, whereas if he'd pitched over 50 pitches you'd really want to give him at least three days rest. It would be fantabulous if we had any similar low-stress, low-leverage big leads against the Yanks late to send in Lidge — but I wouldn't count on it, so give him a shot now.

43. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

When thou has Dunn, thou hast not done, for we have Moore.

44. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Section 222 said…Coolest things Mark will never write again:"Anderson Hernandez just missed catching up with that pitch."

45. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Have to go back a long way to find a game where Espi had no K's with a hit.BTW, TyMo now batting .290. Sure, small sample size.

46. SFNats - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Section 222 said…Coolest things Mark will never write again:"No Nationals team has ever finished the season above .500"Just a guess.

47. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

nope gonat, that has happened before. check month of may 20th onwards.http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/2012-schedule-scores.shtml

48. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

"The Nats will just have to hope tomorrow's starter, J.D. Martin, can end this skid."

49. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM

NJ, I thought you were joking.I've blindsided by the name that should not be said once.

50. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Gonat, intersting question about pitchers of record. It does seem that so many games are decided late, the starter doesn't get the decision.Going through the Schedule and Results page, I see Strasburg-Gonzalez-JORDAN have done it at least thrice (once winning all three), and that's about when I stopped counting. A couple of stretches went four in a row.

51. Knoxville Nat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Two sweeps in a row! I may have to go buy a new broom for the evil empire's visit this weekend.Can't tell you all how much I wish I could join you tomorrow evening for the meet and greet of my imaginary friends. Raise a glass to all things Nationals for me and I in turn will raise my galss at home to you all. Okay, I might raise it tonight as well but just to practice. :)

52. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Was this the first time this season that the Nats starters 3 games in a row were the pitchers of record?No, May 10-11-12. Strasburg, Gio, Znn beat the Pirates and the Reds twice; and again May 20-21-22, same guys against the O's, Phils and Phils.This is the first time they've gone five in a row this season, maybe ever.

53. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I was looking for shorthand to take notes on which pitchers got decisions, and I realized something funny.My love's measurements: 37-47-27.

54. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Soul, thanks for the stats

55. Knoxville Nat - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Uh, that would be "….. I in turn will raise my GLASS at home to you all…"

56. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Knoxville, raise your gals any way you see fit.

57. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Gonat said… Was this the first time this season that the Nats starters 3 games in a row were the pitchers of record?Not even the first time in the past week.6/6 Jackson W6/7 Wang L6/9 Strasburg W6/10 Gonzales WYou did say "pitcher of record" not "winning pitcher" after all.

58. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

This is the first time they've gone five in a row this season, maybe ever.I don't see five in a row even now. Gorzelanny won Sunday's game, not Zimmermann.

59. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I think I was anticipating Friday and Saturday. My bad.

60. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Section 222 said…Coolest things Mark will never write again:"I wish that fascinating Baltimore fan on the WaPo site would post here once in a while."Okay, you did say "again." Technicality. So sue me.

61. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Section 222 said…Coolest things Mark will never write again:Will Wang win a game he starts?Will fifth string catcher Jhonatan Solano be in over his head at the plate, being pressed into MLB duty?

62. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I'm just now able to read the thread, having had to "watch" the game on GameDay. I laughed out loud so many times. Thanks, all.