Game 61: Nats at Blue Jays

Jun 13, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nationals try to complete a sweep today at Rogers Centre.

In their seven-plus seasons in D.C., the Nationals have never gone 6-0 on a road trip. The way things are going in 2012, this probably won't be the last time they have an opportunity to do something they've never done before.

If you're going to try to pull off your second straight sweep on the road, might as well send your ace to the mound. Yep, Stephen Strasburg gets the nod, looking to improve his record to 8-1 and the team's record to 11-2 when he starts. He'll be opposed by young Kyle Drabek, the Blue Jays' key acquisition from the Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade several years back who to this point is an unimpressive 8-14 with a 5.26 ERA in 29 career starts.

One key change to the Nationals' lineup for this afternoon's getaway matinee at Rogers Centre: Adam LaRoche is not starting for the first time since May 7 (when he missed four games with an oblique strain). So Tyler Moore makes his first career start at first base in LaRoche's place.

Enjoy the game and the conversation as the Nats try to finish off a perfect road trip…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at TORONTO BLUE JAYS
Where: Rogers Centre
Gametime: 12:37 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 178
Weather: Sunny, 65 degrees, Wind 12 mph in from LF

LF Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
DH Michael Morse

1. T-Nats - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Leaving work early so I can go see Stras pitch at the Dome! Go Nats, put on a clinic out there today!

2. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Good ALR gets a break and has 2 days off in a row. Don't know much about the Toronto pitcher other than he is Doug Drabek's kid.T-Nats.. ENJOY! If you can post in game that would be great!GYFNG!!

3. Sam - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I'm really, really worried about Strasburg today. Last start was stressful. He was laboring even before he got to 100 pitches, and then he ended up throwing 120. I think today will be tough. Gorzo and Det should get ready to pitch a while tonight.However, I'll cross my fingers and hope that I'm wrong and that Strasburg is, well, typical Strasburg today.

4. JD - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

MichelleS, Drabek has been pretty meh this year. I expect we will get some knocks. I am concerned about SS today coming off a very laborious 125 pitch effort in 6 innings on Friday. I expect Davie and Cat to keep a real close eye on him today.

5. JD - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

OK Sam I owe you a beer.

6. waddu eye no - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

ooooh. i get to hear some of this, despite the time difference?Bravo Nats!

7. BIGNAT33 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Is this just a normal day off for LaRoche, or is there another reason that he is out?

8. Kirbs - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

In a perfect world we would have ran Gorzo out there and saved stras for opening with the yankes. Either way, our 2,3,4 vs yankes 3,4,5. I like the matchups. But we don't want to look ahead and blow this. So go stras and I'm looking forward to a 2 day rest getting ALR back on point. And here is to Bryce keeping it up!!!!!

9. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Excellent idea to rest ALR for the big series coming up and give Moore a start at 1B. I'm glad we're going for the sweep with Strasburg on the mound. Yes, it would be fun to have Stras, Gio, and JZnn face the Yanks, but all wins count equally in the standings and Gio, JZnn, and EJax pitching to the pinstripes will do just fine.Following up on the thread on the last post, there are a handful of certainties in life:1. Death2. Taxes3. Davey will never move Zim from the No. 3 spot (except perhaps to hit cleanup if we end up with injuries).4. Zim will not have 2011 Werth-like numbers at the end of the season.

10. Doc - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Interesting discussion Section 222. Davey the sabermatrician, is not always the sabermatrician that he might be. Where would you put Zim? He's not hitting anything like a #3 right now. I'm thinking that he should be switched with Desi.

11. Sam - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Jordan Zimmermann: 6.52 K/9, 1.51 BB/9, 1.16 HR/9, .262 BABIP, 2.91 ERAKyle Drabek: 6.18 K/9, 6.04 BB/9, 1.21 HR/9, .262 BABIP, 4.43 ERAJust sayin'…it's really important for the Nats to let him give us baserunners.

12. Sam - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

In terms of "sabermetric" lineups, you generally put your best hitters #1, #2, #4, #5, followed by #3. So, perhaps Zimm hitting 3rd actually makes sense for the time being.

13. bowdenball - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Sounds like Mark sees this as a normal day off for LaRoche and I have no reason to think otherwise. But why give him a day off when we're facing a righthander and only playing three more times in the following five days? I guess Davey really wants him to get two straight days off, but if the Rays rotation holds they face David Price next Tuesday after a day off Monday. I bet Adam would have preferred a day off then :)

14. SCNatsFan - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Sweepy sweepy lets keep the broom out of the closet

15. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Didn't read the other thread, but gather someone is arguing for Zimmerman getting moved out of #3 hole. I respectfully pass wind in your general direction. Not going to happen, and not necessary (the lineup change, not the wind). With regard to SS pitch count, I am less concerned about it impacting his performance today, than I am about the fact that he routinely needs to throw so many pitches to achieve that performance. Eight strikeouts is enough, I want more foul pop fly outs and knuckled grounders to the infield. As for LaRoche sitting, I also appreciate that they have worked in a start for Moore knowing that he likely returns to AAA upon DeRosa's activation. Finally, some were debating Harper's affinity for the Yankees as a future threat. (more wind) I doubt that by the time he is free to leave that the desire will be as strong. Once he wins a few championships here and Jeter/Arod/Mo retire, it will seem like just another team.

16. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM

GIGGLING LOUDLY:whatsanattau said… Didn't read the other thread, but gather someone is arguing for Zimmerman getting moved out of #3 hole. I respectfully pass wind in your general direction.

17. bowdenball - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Good point about the timing of LaRoche's day off corresponding to Moore being here to play 1B, whatsanattau. Personally I'd prefer it if he sat against a lefty like Price and we put Morse at 1B – and I bet LaRoche would prefer it too- but this does make sense.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Sect 222, I would agree that Davey won't move Zim. Just hope today is the day Zim gets it going.

19. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I was thinking last night and discussing with Big Cat who still needs to get a google account. that Zim this year is hitting no better than Werth was lasst year, and isn't being ridden like Werth was because then Weth was majing big money and was new. Zim is making big money and is known. How long does his history save him? The last 2 weeks Espi has easily out hit Zim and he still ridden He is a little over .300 last 10 games, and Zim .214I keep thinking any day now, but his bat looks like it is in a bizaar postion to hit, and he needs to move to plate about 4 inches, as he is not driving ones on the outside at all, but rather he is missing them.GO Zim get it going.

20. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Oh, and anyone asking if Zimmerman should be moved out of #3 in the lineup…."that's a clown question bro"…. :)(see toronto post game question, bryce)

21. Water23 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM

22. Water23 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

And more good news on the Giolita front. Nats Farm Authority has updated the article on the Giolita Savings Plan. It looks like the Nats are trying to get enough extra to sign him.

23. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Once he wins a few championships here and Jeter/Arod/Mo retire, it will seem like just another team. And once we win the series here behind Gio, JZnn, and E-Jax, his reorientation will have begun. :-)

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I suspect little Gio will be signed soon (ironic Little Gio is much bigger than Big Gio).

25. SFNats - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM

About ALR from Rotoworld:"Updating a previous item, Adam LaRoche is out of Wednesday's lineup after fouling a ball off his right foot Tuesday.The good news is that it doesn't appear to be a major concern and he should be back in the lineup Friday."

26. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

T-Nat — I am so excited for you! And excited to see Moore play in his natural position. ALR hit a dinger just the other day; my bet is this is a normal day off for him. I hope Moore comes through with some good hits, and I know he does, too. The year-of-a-very-big-contract slump seems to be a real thing. Unless it's not. We all tend to look for evidence that supports our conclusion. has anyone ever done real research on it?

27. JaneB - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Forgot to mention:GYFNG!!!!!!!

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Doc, Davey will give him more time. Like I said 2 weeks ago, needs to move closer to the plate to cover the outside and see the ball better.

29. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

30. Ron In Reston - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Not only will Zim not move from the #3 spot, he won't move closer to the plate, either. The comments in this regard are almost verbatim to the comments last year when he came off the DL after the abdominal thing (you could look it up, as Casey would say). It just painfully (no pun intended) obvious that he does not do well upon returning from any length of time off. The upside is that his stuggles at the plate have in no way impacted his impeccable fielding. His bat will come around, and the fear of that happening at any time is what keeps getting Harper pitches to hit. Zim has been hitting the ball sharply, just hitting it at people. He doesn't look lost at the plate, as Espi did earlier this year. It looks like maybe his bat is coming around, too.Patience, people…..we're four games in front, 5-0 on our current road trip and heading home to the biggest series DC has seen since….dare I say…1924?

31. Dryw Loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Of course, Little Gio is bigger than a fair segment of the population. And he may not even be done growing yet. I don't think he'll catch Jon Rauch, but he's a big boy.pRAA, thanks for that! Funny, but true.

32. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Zim this year is hitting no better than Werth was lasst year, and isn't being ridden like Werth was because then Weth was majing big money and was new. Zim is making big money and is known. How long does his history save him?You know what you call people who joyfully watch a player carry the team on his back for years and then turn on him the minute he hits a prolonged slump? Phillies phans.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM

pRAA, great comment. Nobody wants to perform better than Zim himself.

34. djinFl. - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

A standing O for pRAA!Zim certainly deserves our support.

35. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM

At work but with gameday appropriately minimized on the computer so I can still look busy. Please keep me up to date on the things game day can't "see". Go Nats. Another day in first place for us!

36. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Responding quickly to two posts from last thread:Tcostant said… Hey DC Wonk, say what you want about Gio's contract, but at the time I thought it was a bargin for the Nationals. And now it looks even better. Good job by Rizzo.Agreed! I thought it was a lot, too, but the early returns is that Rizzo/Nats got a bargain!The Fox said… Suprised that no one has posted this link before for Home Runs. You can waste a lot of time on it to. http://hittrackeronline.com/ Harper's HR from last night is not listed yet it probably will be there tomorrow.Thank, Fox! I was looking for that, but couldn't find it.Two quick things:1. Harper's HR is listed (see "full listing"), it's listed as 438.2. It's listed as the second longest HR for a Nat. OK, folks, try to guess who hit the longest HR. (Presuming lots of accuracy. The longest HR is, according to them 441, just 3 feet further).FWIW (all Nats HR longer than 415)2nd (mystery guest)3rd Nady (!) 05/16/12, 4364th Harper 05/14/12, 4295th Ankiel 04/20/12, 4276th LaRoche 05/08/12, 4266th Bernadina 05/10/12, 4268th Harper 06/08/12, 4259th Harper 05/27/12, 42410 Laroche 06/11/12, 42311 Ankiel 05/22/12, 42112 Ankiel 06/11/12, 41913 Espinosa 06/12/12, 41914 Desmond 05/21/12, 41814 Harper 06/03/12, 418

37. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

pRAAYou know what you call people who joyfully watch a player carry the team on his back for years and then turn on him the minute he hits a prolonged slump? Phillies phans. pRAA — I think that you often tend to be too harsh.But that comment sounds just about right. ;-)

38. SFNats - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

pRAA gets my vote for Comment of the Day

39. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

40. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Yay!! Tyler gets his first RBI's! good hitting kid!

41. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM

TY MO!

42. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Tyler Moore with his first big league ribbies!And right before he hit it, I was just thinking — with guys on 2nd and 3rd and needing a productive at bat (including even a productive out) — how happy I was that Moore was batting 7th rather than Ankiel

43. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Wonk.. I was thinking something similar.. After NatsJack's comment about Lombo Hacking, I was thankful I was that it wasn't ANK in there.

44. SCNatsFan - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I guss the thought of having Ankiel swing at 3-0 is he can't miss three times with one swing

45. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Heh. I was going to mow the lawn this afternoon, then noticed the game time.There are priorities…

46. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Nice to see TM taking advantage of his playing time! Now – back to looking busy.

47. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM

… as the broadcast guys keep saying . . . it's a big emotional let down when you've lost the first two games of the series, and you're only in the second innings and down by two already.And facing Strasburg ;-)

48. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Now – back to looking busy. Yikes — my problem is not only that, but I actually _am_ busy and need to get some complicated work done this afternoon . . . . Like many men . . . I'm not much of a multi-tasker. Especially when there's a Nats game on!

49. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… So Lombo leads off the game against the guy with the most walks in the AL and immediately swings at the first 3 pitches he sees.Not much of a plan. June 13, 2012 12:56 PM __________________________Very true then you get the veteran Rick Ankiel who swings at a high 3-0 fastball to fly out.

50. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Lotta pitches for Strasburg.Nattydread

51. JD - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Too many pitches for SS.

52. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Arencibia really worked Stras.

53. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I was about to post the same thing, 40 is too many pitches in the 2nd. Wish he would pitch more for contact.Danny's out could have been a hit too. Anyways, let's keep working the count against Drabek.

54. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

55. SCNatsFan - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Wow stellar D by the Jays or we could be up by a couple of more.Agree Natty SS needs a short inning

56. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Nice, Harp stopped at 2nd. Time for Zim to pick up a RBI

57. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Gonat said… DC Wonk, I think Ian Desmond still holds the longest Nats HR honor this season!!!!Ding ding ding . . . You are correct. 441 feet, three more than Harper's.

58. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Definitely a hit by Zim (homer call). Maybe that will get Zim going!

59. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

FP, Carp, and Gio- what a riot!

60. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

A DC Wonk said… Gonat said…DC Wonk, I think Ian Desmond still holds the longest Nats HR honor this season!!!!Ding ding ding . . . You are correct. 441 feet, three more than Harper's. June 13, 2012 1:28 __________________________Morse will hit some over 450 when he gets going!!!!

61. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Ehay2k.. Thank god I DVR'd the game. I can't wait to see Gio with Carp and FP.

62. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM

SCNatsFan said… Wow stellar D by the Jays or we could be up by a couple of more.June 13, 2012 1:25 PM ____________________________That jinxed them for sure!

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Last night Zim today Morse. Double plays kill rallies. I am pretty sure we have hit into a lot more double plays than we have induced.

64. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I wonder if Zim and Morse should have a DP contest, if you handicap games Morse has missed I bet it would be a hell of a contest, my money is on Zim. lol When are these two going to start hitting? Thank goodness for Bryce!

65. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Are the games this weekend sold out verse Yankees

66. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

going have to get more than 2 runs today

67. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Strasburg is not on today. Nattydread

68. mick - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Strass may be a little off, but Blue Jays pitching is so bad, if we do not score at least 5 runs today that would be bad

69. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan, you are right. 36 against 34 but 36 is the second least number of GIDP. However that might have something to do with our low OBP.

70. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I was able to get a seat for Friday and Sunday last week. Should go cause Bryce is gonna play like the Mick.Believe it or not, I had two tix to Sat's game (sect. 135, row C), that I gave to my ex girlfriend. One of the dumbest actions I've ever done.

71. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Tyler is having quite a day!!! Good for him! Baby Nat HR!

72. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM

TY MO!!!!

73. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Mick, you were right!Nattydread

74. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

oh yeah, we want Moore!

75. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Tyler is a major league hitter, yep.Should be a good alternative to Ankiel/Nady.

76. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Hmmm… maybe Moore isn't overmatched by ML pitching any more?

77. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Tyler Moore just did something Marrero couldn't do last year. HR

78. Will - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

It looks like Tyler Moore is giving Harper a run for his money on Rookie of the Year voting!

79. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Wally Pipp

80. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Believe it or not, I had two tix to Sat's game (sect. 135, row C), that I gave to my ex girlfriend. One of the dumbest actions I've ever done.Yeah, dating a girl who's big enough to fill two seats is a pretty dumb move.

81. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Mick.. I am sure you can find something on stub hub, the question will be how much do you want to pay. I don't know if they are doing the walk up tickets this weekend either, but that might be possible, you would just have to get there really early to buy those.

82. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Wait.. Ank got on base? Yay!!!!

83. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

84. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

pRAA…one tix is for her kid (but will take her new boyfriend )

85. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Mick, talk to my ex girlfriend

86. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

We are hitting the Jays' pitching hard this series, and today with Drabek even more so. Even outs are hard hit balls. That bodes well for the weekend.

87. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Cunegonde got tix for us in section 115 eight rows back of the visitor dugout for Friday – my birthday gift. And we'll be in 409 Saturday with my NY-area brother-in law and his younger son (cheering for the Yanks) and my other nephew and his housemate (Nats fans).Civil War 2.0 brewing…

88. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM

MicheleS said… Wait.. Ank got on base? Yay!!!!Too bad my daughter's missing this game . . . she's never seen Ankiel hit a single! (HR, 2b, BB, but never a single).

89. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Looked it up we have grounded into 47 that is the second least (though the number is getting higher quicker it seems lately). We have induced 34 that is the least in the majors. But we have more K's to baklance that off.Morse take note of what Moore is doing, we expect you to start hitting like that.

91. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I really think Harper will do amazing things against the Yanks. It's his 6 year interview or his calling card in case we win big in the MASN cash lottery

92. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM

whatsanattau said… Wally PippAnd we all know what position Pipp played, right? ;-)

93. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

OK – taking a very legitimate break. For all of you that follow such stat things — it seems to me that when Lombardozzi is at the plate, he usually ( well , not that first ab), makes the pitcher use up a lot of bullets. Is there a stat for the number of pitches a batter uses up? He just seems to foul off a lot of pitches, and even if he ends up getting out, he wears down the pitcher – something you don't see in the box for the game. I feel like there have been games where he single- handedly knocked out a starting pitcher by using up so many pitches. Is that just my impression of him? Good trait in a lead off guy. Happy for TMo — getting that first one. I just love our rookies!!!!!!! How does he look at first?

94. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Who's on First ?Not a Pipp

95. Sam - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Can I just say that it makes me so extremely happy to see all of the Expos jerseys and hats in Toronto today?I still make it a point to wear my Expos gear every time I see the Nationals play.

96. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

jeffwx said… In the words of Swammi, this team has so much depth…What will they do when Tracey and Werth are back ? June 13, 2012 1:55 PM____________________________I'm not concerned about those 2 coming back as much as I am thinking who goes when DeRosa comes back as he appears to be next in line.

97. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Manassas: Nats low number of defensive DPs has a lot to do with the relatively low number of base runners!Nattydread

98. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

99. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

MASN showed the avg number of pitches a pitcher throws per batter. I think it was Jackson who was pretty low…Crazy stuff…Was it his dad, Doug Drabek who had the terrible arm problem.

100. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Gonat said… Drabek I believe is the ex-Phillie top prospect who they traded in the Halladay trade. No wonder why I don't like him. June 13, 2012 1:49 PM ____________________________Didn't mean to jinx him. Hope he will be OK.

101. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:08 PM

102. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I wonder if we could trade Lannan to the Jays?

103. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I'm following only on gameday.What happened to Drabek?

104. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I don't know if we'll break largest Nats Park single game attendance record this weekend (44,685), but just looked up the largest all-time single game record:On April 18, 1958, the Dodgers played their first game in the Coliseum, hosting the San Francisco Giants, another team transplanted from the East, in front of 78,692 fans. The home team won 6-5. The previous attendance record had been set on May 16, 1947, at the original Yankee Stadium when 74,747 fans witnessed a night game between the New York team and its rival, the Boston Red Sox.

105. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM

What did John Lannan ever do to you? :)

106. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Nice pickoff. Thank you very much!

107. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:16 PM

nice to see a pick-off work for us!

108. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Mark Teahen can opt-out of his minor league contract with the Nationals if not called up by June 15th, MLBTR has learned. The 30-year-old has hit .293/.347/.404 with Washington's Triple-A affiliate while playing all four corner spots.Trade Lannan and Treahan for draft pick/prospects.

109. Tcostant - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Jeff – The Rockies drew over 80,000 to a game their first year.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Colorado_Rockies_season

110. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM

old news on Lannan but there has been interest (from last week):The Nationals have had recent discussions with the Dodgers and Rockies about pitcher John Lannan, but no trade is close, major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Sources say that the Nats want a club to pay the rest of his remaining salary and give up at least one legitimate player.Talks between the Dodgers and Nationals have been only preliminary, according to sources, while the Rockies kicked the tires on the pitcher before being turned off by the price. For the Dodgers, Lannan would be an alternative to left-hander Ted Lilly while he is sidelined with a shoulder issue.

111. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM

jeffwx said… Good question, Gonat. I would be tempted to DFA DeRosa.And send HROD to minors if they can.Bring Mattheus up but for who ?Of course, looks like Toronto could use some pitchers…wow what bad luck. June 13, 2012 2:08 PM __________________________I don't think Rizzo will give up right now on DeRosa.On HenRod, it won't happen that he goes back to the Minors except on a Rehab assignment. Once his rehab is over, he has NO options and can only be waived and won't cleared waivers as someone will take him. Choices are trade him or hope he comes back improved. I have felt for a long time to trade him to an AL team and get what you can.

112. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Jeffwx, what team would trade for Teahan when they can get him for free starting Saturday?

113. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Good Lord Tyler! He is just CRUSHING it today! 2 Hrs and 5 RBI's!

114. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

This Moore kid has some POP!

115. Grandstander - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

So… How do we get this kid in more games?

116. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Thanks Tcostant.Tyler hitting like he did in AAA!!!!Find a spot for him Davey.

117. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

"You STILL want to send me back to Syracuse…?"

118. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

This is quite the show by Ty Mo. CRUSHED

119. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Holy Moley!When was the last time — if ever — a Nats rookie hit two in one game!

120. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

honest Davey, my foot is fine.

121. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Wonk.. Drabek left with a shoulder/arm injury. We have broke 2 of the Jays picthers.

122. Ron In Reston - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

So Moore has now done something even Harper hasn't…..yet :)

123. Schumatrix - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Tyler Moore for overlord!

124. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Grandstander, you can go with a Moore/Harper/Morse Outfield..and put Lombo back as util.

125. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Whereas 40 pitches after 2 innings isn't so good — 64 pitches after four innings is a bit better.And 72 after 5 innings is downright good. Stras hitting his stride. Probably "hooked," as Davey likes to say, after 6, because of his high pitch count last time out, but he could go 7 or even 8 with a little luck. He'll have six days of rest after this start because of the off days unless Davey decides to have Wang skip a start.

126. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

MicheleS, you will get an extra dose of Gio – Kristina interviews him and MASN airs it – it think in the 5th inning.

127. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

These Rookies are just doing it for the Nats. Harp, Lombo, and TyMo

128. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

So, I'm not watching the game on TV, but has FP said "he's seeing the ball big" yet? ;-)

129. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM

130. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Espi/Lombo, Harper, Zimm, ALR, Morse, Desmond, Moore, Flores…

131. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Scooter said…I think Tyler Moore needs to come north. I'm catching a lot of static for beating my Moore drum, but I really think he's ready to break out. I can see him hitting multiple homers in a game, maybe with even a double thrown in. He's just that good.(I also think Morse's injury is worse than they're telling us.)February 30, 2012 3:46 AMI got kind of attacked when I said that. Maybe you'll all start to believe me now.

132. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Stras has to be efficient here in the 6th

133. Section 215 Row A - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM

134. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM

unless Davey decides to have Wang skip a start. I'd bet not. I think the thinking is that Wang might get straightened out with another start or two. I don't see them messing with the rotation at all when it's still June.

135. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

More importantly, has FP made reference to Harper's "that's a clown question, bro" response to the Toronto media type who asked if 19 year old Bryce was going to have a beer after the game? They're making t-shirts already. (seriously)Proper usage: "Tyler, did you see the ball" "that's a clown question, bro".

136. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

where is Peric anyway ? This blog needs some action.

137. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

February 30, 2012 3:46 AMI got kind of attacked when I said that. How in the world did you find the time to post on February 30?!?!

138. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Davey Johnson on Zim via Amanda Comak:"I just don't see him tracking real well," Johnson said Wednesday afternoon. "I don't know why. If it's his approach or what he's thinking. I know he's streaky at times but I sure need him to be comfortable because he's invaluable to this ballclub. He can really help out a whole lot."Zimmerman's demeanor rarely changes, never too high or too low as he likes to say, and he has maintained that same outward confidence throughout this season. The inflammation in his right AC joint hasn't helped, and while it's certainly manageable, where it could affect him is in his pre- and post-game work.Obviously a different part of the body, but when Zimmerman returned from his abdominal tear in 2011, it wasn't until about six weeks later that he was his full self in the weight room and elsewhere to get himself into shape to be the player he is on the field.It's common for players to return from injury when they're "good enough to play," so to speak, but not at their prime operating health. To this point, though, Zimmerman has declined to use the shoulder as an excuse."He's hard for me to read a little bit because he's so talented, but he's really not attacking the ball," Johnson said. "He went through spells where he hit it hard and hit it at people and balls that would have gone nine miles if the wind hadn't held it up, but I haven't seen him hitting the ball like that in a while. I don't know if his shoulder's bothering him or what but we certainly need him.""He seems to be in a good mind. His BP has looked pretty good. But he looks a little defensive in the game."

139. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

No. No it doesn't.

140. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Scooter said… I think Tyler Moore needs to come north. I'm catching a lot of static for beating my Moore drum, but I really think he's ready to break out. I can see him hitting multiple homers in a game, maybe with even a double thrown in. He's just that good. (I also think Morse's injury is worse than they're telling us.) February 30, 2012 3:46 AMAND, it was more than a week ago. Not that the Internet is a race, or anything.Well done, Scooter.

141. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM

142. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Candide said… "You STILL want to send me back to Syracuse…?"You know that guy Yan Gomes who hit the 9th inning pinch hit HR off Burnett on Monday night? Optioned to AAA Tuesday afternoon.

143. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Hey, can sombody 'splain me:On gameday, for each pitch, they list FX. What's that?

144. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Ban jeffwx!

145. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Feb 30, 2012…Was this a double leap year ? Damn, I missed it again.

146. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ban Johnson, Not jeffwx

147. Tcostant - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Jeff – no problem.I do think we'll beat our Nationals Park attendance this week, single and total for all three games. The Nationals blacked out these games from reward program and they wouldn't even allow rain out trade ins for that day. Plus the vouchers in those five game flex plans where for any games expect Yankees. So basicly all the seats will be paid, which is what they count. Plus they selling the unsold boxes as seats too. And you know standing room is coming too.I expect to average 44K this weekend with over 45K on Saturday.Place your bets.

148. Section 215 Row A - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

More from the Toronto broadcast: "I USED to love the Tyler Moore show. Ed Grant, Ted Baxter…all those people."

149. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Another random question for you — who on the team has NOT hit a home run yet this year? I can't think of anyone but Morse. All 3 catchers, all the quasi- regular outfielders, all the infielders and most of the utility guys. Can you think of anyone else? Everybody with 50 plate appearances or more has hit one.In decreasing order of plate appearances for less than 50, the following have not hit any (for those with 10 or more plate appearances):DeRosa, Morse, MaldonadoThat's it. (plus pitchers)

150. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Section 222 said… What a game for Moore! Much as it pains me, I must tip my cap to our friend peric. June 13, 2012 2:26 PM _____________________________Why? This is what Tyler Moore has done with 2 previous years in the Minors. Blogger Russ Adams has been saying it for 2 years as Russ lives in Harrisburg and follows the H'burg Senators and most of the Minor Leaguers. I was never impressed with Tyler's OBP which is what I thought would hold him back and still may. The kid is definitely a power hitter, but 1 game doesn't make a career.

151. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I am listening to the Toronto broadcasters. They ended the last inning with "That's two homeruns for the Nationals today. Three yesterday and two more on Monday. This is a VERY good team." Sweet sweet music!! What's amazing about that is that:it's not our hitting that's good!

152. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Scooter …..I remember us discissing how good Moore looked. I know Davey liked his bat but wanted him to play everday at the AAA level.

153. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM

whatsanattau said…More importantly, has FP made reference to Harper's "that's a clown question, bro" response to the Toronto media type who asked if 19 year old Bryce was going to have a beer after the game?Yeah – Carp and FP had a laugh about it around the 2nd inning. Agreed it was a stupid question.

154. Section 215 Row A - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM

er….Lou Grant

155. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM

When was the last time — if ever — a Nats rookie hit two in one game! Danny Espinosa on Labor Day 2010 at Nationals Park vs the Mets.

156. Tcostant - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Love the Mary Tyler Moore joke! :)

157. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I think Tyler Moore needs to come north. I'm catching a lot of static for beating my Moore drum, but I really think he's ready to break out. I can see him hitting multiple homers in a game, maybe with even a double thrown in. He's just that good.(I also think Morse's injury is worse than they're telling us.)February 30, 2012 3:46 AMTake a well deserved victory lap Scooter… for hoax of the year. (Um, February only has 28 days.) On this blog, as in life, in the immortal words of Ronald Reagan, "trust but verify."

158. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Wonk,PitchFx on FanGraphs

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Actually had 29 this year.

160. Scooter - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Thanks, 222.I knew I could count on this bunch to get it.

161. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

To beer, or not to beer. That is the clown question.

162. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Why? This is what Tyler Moore has done with 2 previous years in the Minors. Oh Gonat, you sourpuss. Sure there are others who think Moore has a good future, and of course one game doesn't prove he belongs in the bigs, but there is no one who has sung his praises and pushed for him to get a shot in the lineup more than peric. He takes alot of abuse in here, much of it deserved, but for the sake of comity and camraderie amongst our community of imaginary friends on this most enjoyable afternoon of Natitude, I choose to give him a shout out.

163. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Sect 222, when Skole becomes a star for the Nats, then I will give him credit ;-)

164. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Interesting that SS got the hook when he was warming up… Nattydread

165. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Section 222 said…On this blog, as in life, in the immortal words of Ronald Reagan, "trust but verify." Note – I am not trying to turn this into a political discussion:I never understood that "trust but verify" business (and I think Reagan was quoting someone else). If I trust someone, I don't NEED to verify.I don't send a private detective out to follow Cunegonde around and verify that she's not stepping out on me, because I trust her.If I DID hire a detective, that would be proof that I DIDN'T trust her.It should be "Trust OR verify." Makes more sense that way.Now back to our game.

166. whatsanattau - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM

222, your generosity of spirit is … well it is … ummmm, wierd. Even a blind pig finds a truffle occasionally, but he's still a …. ummmm, oh nevermind.

167. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa said… Wonk, PitchFx on FanGraphsThanks, but I still don't get it.On gameday, it'll say something like:Pitch FX data: 5.9''''What's that?

168. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Reagan got that quote from Mulder on the X files

169. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Jeff.. look at one of the posts yesterday for Peric.. he tried to set a fire about benching Werth when he comes back. (that's why you would be banned).222.. Thanks… Scooter your being devilish today. Remind me not to get on your bad side!

170. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

However, if Moore has a hole or two in his swing that other teams figure out, and the he can't adhpjust and bats .210, we will roundly criticize peric for promoting a AAAA player as ready for the Show. This is our way.

171. pRAA - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

One wonders if Ronald Reagan bothered to verify his assertion that trees cause air pollution before he trusted the American people to believe him.

172. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

whatsanatta…….I'm with you.

173. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

CandideThis from WikipediaTrust, but verify is a form of advice given which recommends that while a source of information might be considered reliable, one should perform additional research to verify that such information is accurate, or trustworthy. The term was a signature phrase adopted and made famous by U.S. president Ronald Reagan. Reagan frequently used it when discussing U.S. relations with the Soviet Union. Reagan rightly presented it as a translation of the Russian proverb "doveryai, no proveryai" (Russian: Доверяй, но проверяй). Soviet revolutionary Vladimir Lenin also frequently used the phrase.The phrase was learned by Reagan from Suzanne Massie, a writer on Russia. She told Reagan, "The Russians like to talk in proverbs. It would be nice of you to know a few. You are an actor – you can learn them very quickly".After Reagan used the phrase at the signing of the INF Treaty, his counterpart Mikhail Gorbachev responded: "You repeat that at every meeting," to which Reagan answered "I like it."Nattydread

174. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Candide, I figure it's like when I get carded in a bar. I'm sure they trust I'm over 21, but they have procedures, and they follow them. Procedure in that case is "flatter the old guy."

175. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Well, that's more of a policy, really.

176. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

And Gonat knows I'm with him.

177. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Trust but verify is a Russian proverb From wikipedia:The term was a signature phrase adopted and made famous by U.S. president Ronald Reagan. Reagan frequently used it when discussing U.S. relations with the Soviet Union. Reagan rightly presented it as a translation of the Russian proverb "doveryai, no proveryai" (Russian: Доверяй, но проверяй). Soviet revolutionary Vladimir Lenin also frequently used the phrase.

178. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Nattydread, stop typing faster than me.

179. Ron In Reston - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I guess Ian didn't want Tyler to have all the fun today

180. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Good lord, we are homer happy playing the Jays. We have broken 2 of their pitchers and kicked their bullpen around. I don't remember ever doing that to any team (we might have beaten up a bullpen 1 or 2 times, but not for an entire series, plus I can't remember breaking 2 pitchers)

181. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM

MicheleS, I should be banned because I like some of Peric's posts ?This sounds like McCarthyism or should I say McPeric-ism.

182. ehay2k - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Well, let's hope all this breaking of pitchers is just practice for when we next see Colbert.

183. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

184. Unknown - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Such fun to be on a six game winning streak.Nattydread

185. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

And the Nats are now 5th in the NL in hrs with 62.

186. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Jeff, I didn't say you were banned it was from a previous poster. Peric has some good posts and has a lot of knowledge. His delivery might be questioned at times.

187. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

TyMo… when was the last time a Nat hit 3 HRs in one game?

188. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

The AL good hitting teams can have problems with the kind of pitching they've seen from the Nats.As Yogi once said, good pitching always beats good hitting…and viceversa

189. jeffwx - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Thanks, MicheleSAgreed….without my imaginary friends, my virtual life would be pretty desolate

190. Section 215 Row A - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Toronto: Strasburg left with the start of a blister…

191. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hmpfh… seems to me it was just three or four days ago everyone was talking about what a good-hitting team the Jays are… But it's true! There are many good hitting teams. Red Sox, too.Until they face the Nats.We're kicking butt in first place because: good pitching beats good hitting.

192. Steady Eddie - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

All this slugging is great prep for playing the Yanks and Rays.Don't remember the last time we scored so many of our runs on dingers and won in consecutive games like this.

193. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

As Yogi once said, good pitching always beats good hitting…and viceversa Actually, it was Casey Stengel.

194. A DC Wonk - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Section 215 Row A said… Toronto: Strasburg left with the start of a blister…Gulp . . . .

195. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Would you say 8-1 is a blistering start?

196. Steady Eddie - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Section 215 — thanks for the info. Although with all the pitches Stras threw the last time out, leaving with 89 pitches after 6 innings with a 5-2 lead was plenty.

197. Candide - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM

When was the last time we had one of Earl Weaver's favorite hits – a three-run homer?

198. baseballswami - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

DCWonk – home runs by pitchers – I know JZim — Stras, too? This feels unusual to me to have so many different guys hit home runs. I guess when light-hitting utility guys ( lombo) , pitchers and 5th string catchers get into the act, everyone does.

199. MicheleS - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

If it's a blister it will be healed by his next start. Because of the Off days, it's next Wednesday against the Rays

200. Gonat - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… And Gonat knows I'm with him. June 13, 2012 2:54 PM _____________________________…and I don't even know much, but I am learning. I trust who I listen to. A lot of people here have opinions and some are consistently right, others not so much.Most fun at a ballgame was hanging at a Spring Training game listening to NatsJack and some other NatsInsiders discuss the 2012 team.