Jun 15, 2012, 7:03 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nationals Park will be sold out tonight with the Yankees in town.
Rarely, if ever, have the Nationals entered a series with so much hype surrounding them. Hype, as we all know, gets you nothing once a batter steps in the box and a pitcher is handed the ball. So it's time to see what these Nationals are made of and how they stack up against the most-successful franchise in baseball history (not to mention current owners of the best record in the American League).
Gio Gonzalez gets the ball for Game 1 of this weekend showdown, seeking his ninth victory in 13 starts. The left-hander faced the Yankees five times over the last three years … and he did not fare well (1-4, 7.27 ERA, 47 baserunners in 26 innings). That, of course, was a different Gio Gonzalez wearing an Oakland A's uniform, so we'll see how he responds in his first appearance against the Yanks in a Nats uniform.
Right-hander Phil Hughes (3-0 over his last four starts) takes the mound for New York, facing a Nationals lineup that will look a bit more familiar now without the DH in play.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back early and often. And if you're coming to the park, be prepared for traffic, construction, Metro delays and crowded lines. In other words, give yourselves plenty of time…
NEW YORK YANKEES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Sunny, 78 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from RF
LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers