Jun 16, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Andy Pettitte in today's game at Nationals Park.
It took Davey Johnson awhile to post his lineup this morning, a product of some uncertainty about Ian Desmond's status. Turns out Desmond's potentially injured oblique isn't serious enough to keep him from playing today. Adam LaRoche, on the other hand, was a bit of a surprise scratch.
We didn't get a chance to ask Johnson about LaRoche during our pregame briefing, but the hunch is that Johnson simply wanted to give Tyler Moore a chance to start three days after he clubbed the first two home runs of his career in Toronto. And with left-hander Andy Pettitte on the mound for the Yankees, why not give Moore that opportunity today?
Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, will face a New York lineup that is without Alex Rodriguez, with manager Joe Girardi giving his star third baseman a day off. All of the other Yankee regulars are in there.
Lots of updates to come throughout the game, so please check back often…
NEW YORK YANKEES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 176
Weather: Sunny, 79 degrees, Wind 7 mph in from CF
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal