Jun 16, 2012, 9:56 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Derek Jeter slides in safely on Mark Teixeira's game-winning double in the 14th.
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals jumped out to an early 2-0 lead on Jesus Flores' broken-bat double off the left-field wall (yes, he broke his bat and still reached the wall on a fly). But sloppy defense led to an unearned run in the fourth, and Jordan Zimmermann gave up two runs in the sixth to give the Yankees a 3-2 lead. Ian Desmond (who nearly didn't start because of a possible oblique strain) crushed his 10th homer of the season, a solo shot off reliever Cory Wade in the eighth. And Adam LaRoche appeared to drive in the go-ahead run moments later, only to watch as umpire Tim Timmons ruled Tyler Moore out on an incredibly close play at the plate (replays showed he should have been called sage). The respective bullpens then took over and sent this game into extra innings, with the Nats' first four relievers combining to toss seven hitless innings. Unfortunately, their fifth reliever of the day couldn't continue the trend. Brad Lidge gave up three hits in the 14th (the key blow Mark Teixeira's two-run double down the right-field line) and the Yankees closed out a marathon victory that proved agonizing for the home team.
Hitting lowlight: Bryce Harper was 2 1/2 years old when Andy Pettitte made his debut for the Yankees in 1995, so he had plenty of time toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Significant moment No. 5: The kids step up
- Nationals sign Uggla to minor-league deal
- Significant moment No. 6: Nats win 10 in a row
- Jimmy Rollins: Phillies have missed Werth since he signed with Nats
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal