Jun 16, 2012, 2:07 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez allowed three runs over six-plus innings.
Game in a nutshell: The most-anticipated series in Nationals history got off to a ragged start. A couple of early scoring opportunities were mostly squandered, and Gio Gonzalez got himself into trouble during a two-run third inning. Despite that, the Nats were in the game most of the night and only trailed 2-1 in the seventh. That's when the wheels fell off. Brad Lidge replaced Gonzalez and let three of four batters he faced reach safely, though the key "blow" was an infield single by Derek Jeter that wound up scoring two runs thanks to Ian Desmond' throwing error. Michael Gonzalez then added fuel to the fire by serving up a two-run double to Curtis Granderson. That four-run inning completely turned the game around and left a sellout crowd of 41,406 (that is, everyone not wearing Yankees gear) with little reason to cheer.
Hitting lowlight: You can't realistically expect to hold a thunderous lineup like the Yankees have entirely in check, so the only way theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard