Jun 17, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats need a win today to avoid a sweep at the hands of the Yankees.
The outcome of this weekend's series against the Yankees isn't going to make or break the Nationals' season. They were a first-place team when they took the field Friday night, and they'll still be a first-place team when he walk off the field this evening. Still, it would be nice to win at least one game of the most-anticipated series in Nats history, wouldn't it?
The Nationals will attempt to get back on track this afternoon with Edwin Jackson on the mound. The right-hander has become the workhorse of the majors' best rotation, having reached the eighth inning three times this season when none of his teammates have done it once. That durability could prove important today in the wake of a 14-inning loss during which Davey Johnson needed eight innings out of his bullpen. (If you missed the earlier news, Brad Lidge has been designated for assignment and Ryan Mattheus has been activated off the DL.)
This, of course, is Father's Day, and what better place to spend it than at the ballpark? My family will be in attendance today, and I'm going to spend a couple of innings in the stands with my 9-month-old son, Brian, hopefully the first of many Father's Days we can spend together at the ballpark. Hope everyone out there enjoys their day with family and friends!
Updates to come…
NEW YORK YANKEES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 50, MLB.tv, TBS (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 176
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury