Jun 17, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond unsuccessfully breaks up a double play in the fourth inning.
Game in a nutshell: Needing to salvage a Sunday victory to avoid a sweep, the Nationals instead fell into a familiar pattern. Their lineup couldn't get anything going against right-hander Ivan Nova, who needed only 97 pitches to go 7 2/3 innings. Their starter (Edwin Jackson) couldn't keep New York's lineup from racking up his pitch count early. And then a tight ballgame turned in the Yankees' favor late as the Nationals' bullpen gave up a couple of tack-on runs. Thus the most-anticipated series in Nats history (drawing three straight sellouts) ended in a disappointing sweep at the hands of the Bronx Bombers. On the bright side, thanks to rough weekends by the rest of the NL East, the Nationals still hold a four-game lead in the division.
Hitting lowlight: How bad has it gotten for Ryan Zimmerman? Really bad. With an 0-for-4 showing today, the Face of the Franchise is nowRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard