Jun 17, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond unsuccessfully breaks up a double play in the fourth inning.
Game in a nutshell: Needing to salvage a Sunday victory to avoid a sweep, the Nationals instead fell into a familiar pattern. Their lineup couldn't get anything going against right-hander Ivan Nova, who needed only 97 pitches to go 7 2/3 innings. Their starter (Edwin Jackson) couldn't keep New York's lineup from racking up his pitch count early. And then a tight ballgame turned in the Yankees' favor late as the Nationals' bullpen gave up a couple of tack-on runs. Thus the most-anticipated series in Nats history (drawing three straight sellouts) ended in a disappointing sweep at the hands of the Bronx Bombers. On the bright side, thanks to rough weekends by the rest of the NL East, the Nationals still hold a four-game lead in the division.
Hitting lowlight: How bad has it gotten for Ryan Zimmerman? Really bad. With an 0-for-4 showing today, the Face of the Franchise is nowRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win