Game 65: Rays at Nats

Jun 19, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang faces David Price in tonight's series opener at Nationals Park.

Licking their wounds after a sweep at the hands of the Yankees, the Nationals don't get any break this week. The Tampa Bay Rays come to town beginning tonight, and they'll have their ace (former No. 1 draft pick David Price) on the mound for the opener of this interleague series.

With the left-hander on the mound, the Nationals counter with a right-handed heavy lineup. That means Danny Espinosa is leading off, with Tyler Moore in left field and Steve Lombardozzi on the bench. Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse are hitting in the prized No. 3 and No. 4 spots; each slumping hitter is currently taking a round of early batting practice with hitting coach Rick Eckstein, manager Davey Johnson and GM Mike Rizzo all watching from the behind the cage.

Chien-Ming Wang, meanwhile, gets the ball for his fourth start of the season, hoping this will be the start he completes six full innings for the first time. The Nationals could certainly use a quality outing out of the veteran right-hander.

Updates to come…

TAMPA BAY RAYS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Makes a lot of sense to include Moore in the RH-heavy lineup. Nady seems to make just enough plays (pivotal HR in early-April, stepping up PH duties, catch @ Fenway, etc) to have that direct deposit continuing. I hope the team's in for a reverse lock tonight, have fun to those going to the game, stay hydrated the rest of the homestand!

2. 164abb6e-9075-11e1-aba1-000bcdcb471e - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Not an encouraging pitching matchup but you never know.Man, Zim and Morse have to get it going. I realize that will not qualify as a great insight — or any kind of insight. It is just a plea.It's also the annual Night OUT at the Nationals, and the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington will provide what is always one of the very best renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner of the season, so get there early!

3. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Saturday's game at Camden Yards is not on MASN, but on Fox Regional Sports. Anyone have any idea what channel that would be locally? I checked Fox 5 on the DVR, but didn't see the game on the guide.

4. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

GYFNG!!! Hopefully the brain trust fixed the boppers!!

5. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Haven't yet set the DVR for Saturday so not sure what is showing up for me (Verizon). And, not to dis a veteran in Wang, but a reverse lock sounds good. :-)

6. pRAA - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM

The Saturday game will be on Fox 5 in DC, just like the Saturday game in the earlier Nats-O's series was. It's one of the regional Baseball Night in America telecasts on Fox. The real question is who the announcers will be. Carpenter and Billy Ripken again?

7. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Thanks pRAA, I must've missed it on the DVR guide, could've sworn I saw a whole bunch of infomercials during the 1 – 4 slot on Fox 5.

8. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

With Price & Matt Moore sandwiching Helickson, looks like Tyler Moore will get two starts. Hard to see him getting sent back down when DeRosa comes back. Werth is about half way through the 12 week time table, was good to see him this past weekend w/o the wrist brace.It has been decreed, the reverse lock is on tonight…

9. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

If so, time to get the refreshing red Nats beverage ready for Billy. (Thanks, F.P. :-))The real question is who the announcers will be. Carpenter and Billy Ripken again?

10. do1teach1 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Really hoping for a rebound tonight. I think the sweep to the Yanks hurt a lot more than just some random 3 games spread over a season.When you first see the Yankees on the schedule, you start making plans…getting tickets or extra tickets and building a family weekend around the series. Then they just lay these huge eggs, and you remember the national TV game against the Phils this year, lose again, the big Harper debut in LA with all the buzz…get swept…it just really makes you wonder if this team is going to do anything when the bright lights are on in the fall.Definitely upbeat, first place and all that, but the background sound is of doing nothing on big occasions.

11. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

CNSaturday's game is at 7 pm

12. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Prior to this year, my recollection is that the Nats have taken the series whenever they've faced the Yankees, in DC and in New York.When you first see the Yankees on the schedule, you start making plans…getting tickets or extra tickets and building a family weekend around the series. Then they just lay these huge eggs

13. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

But maybe the reference was to this season's series only, in which case, never mind. :-)

14. bowdenball - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM

do1teach1-You have a strangely selective memory. The series in Boston wasn't a big deal? What about opening day, or the home opener? Or the other Sunday night national game against the Braves?

15. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Thanks, MicheleS. I assumed it was one of those Saturday matinee affairs. I will cancel my 3 hours of sham-wow recordings for 3 hrs of Nats bam-pow baseball…

16. Steady Eddie - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

While Price can be a great pitcher, not so sure this lineup is necessarily in the reverse lock mode.Espi has been a good RH hitter this year, and TMoore may still have some heat left from his Jays start. If we can get #3 or #4 going, and Harp is not in the "I have to hit 3 dingers at every AB" mode, we could do OK.

17. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Yankees, Schmankees. The standings aren't ranked based on fan expectations, they're all just wins or losses out of 162. The Nats are in first place by four games. GYFNG.

18. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM

This just in, Helickson is on the DL, so he'll miss tmw's start:http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/19/jeremy-hellickson-lands-on-disabled-list-with-right-shoulder-fatigue/

19. Tcostant - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Kimball is starting his rehab now…http://www.fleaflicker.com/mlb/news-item?newsId=29626

20. Section 222 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM

NL — Any idea where that pic of the Rays lineup comes from? It's colorcoded according to with the batters are LH (Blue), RH (Black) or Switch Hitters (Orange). Cool. Aren't the official lineup cards handwritten?

21. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

the reverse lock is on tonight… That's right, we're DOOMED. DOOMED, I tellya!~

22. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

222, looks like it's the official Twitter account of the Rays.

23. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

In other news, I've always liked Joe Maddon, but for the next three days, I'm rooting against him. grrr… :-)

24. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

222, it seems to be from the Rays theyselves.

25. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

*sigh*. Just put it on my tab, 1a.

26. Section 222 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

1a, right, I saw that. But it's a picture of an actual lineup card. I just wonder what it is.

27. Candide - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

do1teach1 said…When you first see the Yankees on the schedule, you start making plans…getting tickets or extra tickets and building a family weekend around the series. Then they just lay these huge eggs, and you remember the national TV game against the Phils this year, lose again, the big Harper debut in LA with all the buzz…get swept…it just really makes you wonder if this team is going to do anything when the bright lights are on in the fall.(…pull pin from grenade, toss into post, step back…)So you're saying the Nats are a bunch of choking dogs in the big games…?

28. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Yay, a refreshing beverage from sec3!Ah, I see, sec222. Maybe one of Maddon's innovations?

29. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM

222, a brief bit of digging into the Rays' twitter feed shows they have done that color-coded thing before, but not every time.

30. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

222, no idea. Pulled it off Twitter. Am at work so not a lot of time to do research. :)

31. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM

So you're saying the Nats are a bunch of choking dogs in the big games…? More like, he's saying they would be choking dogs in big games, if they ever get that far. Based on a three-game set. Against a hot opponent. In mid-June. Because it's against a team he's personally heard of before.

32. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

OK, that last part may have been a bit harsh. But still. Frack the fracking Yankees. Two billion dollars, and they win one title? Please.

33. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

But it's good Madden color-codes them in case the guys forget which way they hit, y'know, like the Yanks not understanding double-switches….

34. Section 222 - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Two billion dollars, and they win one title? Please.Harper on Nationals baseball has a good takedown of Boz for saying the Yankees are a failure because they've only one one title in the last decade. He does consistently good analysis I think. One of the most insightful blogs in the Natsosphere.

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Wow,.just read Morse asked to be moved down in the order because he is hurting the team. Davey responded with reassurance.That's what a team leader does!

36. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

More trouble for the Fillies. Why do these guys (including our minor-leagues) not think they are going to get caught?freddy-galvis-gets-50-game-ped-suspensionhttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/19/freddy-galvis-gets-50-game-ped-suspension/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

37. pRAA - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Harper on Nationals baseball has a good takedown of Boz for saying the Yankees are a failure because they've only one one title in the last decade. He does consistently good analysis I thinkThis dude is a closet Yankees fan. The Yankees are "his AL team." That's all you need to know about him.

38. Candide - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Section 222 said…Harper on Nationals baseball has a good takedown of Boz for saying the Yankees are a failure because they've only one one title in the last decade. Good read.Something I noticed some years ago:People hate rich team owners when they spend a lot of money on a losing team (e.g., Peter Angelos).People hate rich team owners when they spend a lot of money on a winning team (e.g., Steinbrenner and Sons, LLC).People hate rich team owners when they're cheapskates with a losing team (e.g., Lerner and Sons, LLC).The common thread: People hate rich baseball team owners no matter what they do.The late Abe Pollin being the only exception I can think of.

39. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

40. pRAA - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The common thread: People hate rich baseball team owners no matter what they do.The late Abe Pollin being the only exception I can think of.Oh, there are other people besides Pollin who aren't rich baseball team owners. Billions of them. All over the world.

41. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Completely out of the picture all day with work stuff and finding that there have been multiple posts today and tons of comments to skim! I think I will need an adult beverage to get through all of them. I found the congressional quote of Bryce to be hilarious. He manages to make news in more than one section of the newspaper. Does the new catcher know about the Nats' recent catcher history? And he still signed? Is he wearing crystals and charms around his neck? I am really hoping to see the Nats play a good baseball game tonight. I am also hoping CMW doesn't have to field the ball or run. He is so unlike the other four who are so good at hitting and fielding – must be all that wussy american league play. By the way – I want to start an early campaign to get Jordan in the conversation for gold glove and Strassie for silver slugger. Strassie and Jordan are hitting 350 and 318! Limited sample size – but not that little for pitchers. Jordan has made some amazing defensive plays – a really good one his last start. Too bad there is no staff silver slugger or our staff would definitely win! I think the organization should tell Wang to just stand there.

42. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Boz calling the Yankees "the biggest failure in sports" (or words to that effect) might have been the teensiest bit overstated–hyperbole for rhetorical effect; trollish, even–but he did write it, so I guess it's fair game to respond as if he were serious. Disingenuous, maybe, but fair enough. Boz's ostensible point does kind of beg the question, though, by assuming they spend all that money to win the World Series every year. Win or lose, people pay to watch them do it. They are a brand, and their brand is that they win, even when they don't, actually. They have to look like they might win, is all, and all the Damn Yankee stuff is part of that.

43. Will - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Mark, the Rays wish they had Justin Upton, but I guess BJ will have to do… (psst see the Rays lineup in post)

44. Will - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Also, Mark, how did Zimm and Morse look in batting practice? Was Zimm smoking balls into the stands or did he look as powerless as he has during the games recently? What about Morse??

45. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

People didn't hate Bill Veeck, except maybe the other owners, but in that context, he wasn't rich, so maybe that doesn't count.

46. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I don't remember people hating Gene Autry.

47. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

And of course, Abe didn't own a baseball team.

48. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Will….. that's the question I'd like answered. I know FP has said that Morse has put on some terrific power displays during bp but I'd like to know Zim.

49. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

And 222…..no, that's not how the conversations went but the sentiments of them explicitly addressed the Eck-Davey relationship. Only one conversation took place in Viera and the other two right here in Winter Park.

50. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM

On Ryan and BP..from the fearless leader.Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckermanRyan Zimmerman crushing balls deep into the bleachers during early BP. If his shoulder is affecting his swing, sure hides it well.

51. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Okay. if you need a laugh:Red Hooded Sweatshirt Just watch for Chapman.

52. original Nats Fan - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

great news about Zim. He is still my favorite Nat.I'm pulling for him to start knocking the ball around like he always has.

53. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

She may be hoodie … young girls do get hoodies … Cuz of all the red …

54. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM

MicheleS……that's what I wanted to hear about Zim. Tells me it's mechanics.

55. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Boz wrote this on NatsJ:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/the-difference-between-yankees-and-nats-try-a-little-patience/2012/06/19/gJQAwMUZoV_blog.html?wprss=rss_nationals-journalSeems a little flip flopping once Boz analyzed the vast differences. The Yankees hitters are not afraid of carrying 2 strike counts as they wait for "their" pitch.Some of the Nats like Espi and Ank panic in 2 strike mode. There is an art to wasting a pitchers pitch and the Yankees showed it this weekend quite a few times.It still pains me to see Danny on that 3-1 pitch on Sunday roll over that doubleplay instead of wasting the pitch.The stats show the Yankees are the 4th best in BA and the 2nd best in OBP with a .336 team OBP. That is crazy good. They have drawn 236 walks compared to the Nats at .309 OBP with 204 walks.

56. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… MicheleS……that's what I wanted to hear about Zim. Tells me it's mechanics. June 19, 2012 6:16 PM ________________________________It tells you he can crush balls and isn't injured. Lots of guys are BP studs. Doing it in a game is a different story. Still think its a combo deal – mechanics and its in his head. Good to know he is healthy.Tonight may be the night he goes 3 or 4 solid hits!!!!

57. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Gonat. Boz Flip Flopping.. I am Shocked ;-)!!!

58. UnkyD - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Be nice to see Wang out duel Price! C'mon, Chinny…you're due!!

59. Will - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Michele, thanks for pointing that out. That makes me a little more sure that this is just a (prolonged) slump. Once Zimmerman get back into the swing of things (pun intended), he'll be just fine.Good to hear that Morse is swinging the bat well. Now let's see them do it when it counts!

60. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Kilgore has the Morse story about moving down in the order.

61. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

MicheleS…..just checked twitter and saw the Zuckermam tweet on Zim.Not only is Galvis gone for 50 games for the Phils, Nix has reinjured his rehabilitating calf and now ia down indefinitely. That karma thing sure has turned bad for them.

62. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Wow.. MLB Network analysts Mike Sweeney and John Hart doing a good job of dismantling the Phoolies! Love it

63. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Okay people time to take a deep breath because it could be worse:Phil Rogers‏@ChiTribRogers White Sox third basemen are hitting .167 with a .467 OPS. That's worse than the Washington Nationals' pitchers (.200, .526),

64. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

6 pitches to get 1swing for a single. Could have done that on 1 pitch.

65. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Rays announcers suprised the Nats didn't shift on Pena. Everyone else has and it might have been a dp.

66. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Seems the Nats will need to score some runs this evening.

67. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

SO what is the over/under on when we see Det tonight?

68. lls45 - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

MicheleS, I'm thinking the 4th inning, if we're lucky

69. UnkyD - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Um…… First step? Get somebody out, right?

70. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM

just like the yankees, the rays aren't content with swinging on 1st pitch. a lot of 3 ball counts b4 the first out's been recorded

71. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM

You know how I always get so annoyed at all the people who write about baseball because they are obsessed with pitches per inning? They are going to explode all over twitter if Wang ever actually gets a third out. There will be full-blown pitch efficiency panic. Detweiler for the 4th? What out or inning? He shouldn't have cut his hair – Detweiler lost his mojo when he cut his hair. It's just bad ju-ju.

72. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM

And in typical fashion, a slow start by Wang that could (and should) have been much worse.

73. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Bam! Amanda Komack was first with 26 pitches! They are so predictable.

74. UnkyD - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Damn…. Getting out only one down there, feels downright lucky!

75. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Swami on the pitch count. I think CMW/Ejax are the ones that I don't think it impacts. All the others seem to start to tire out at around 110.And Sweet Danny got a hit (of course it's from Right side)

76. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM

It looks like Tampa took the Yankees scouting and taking pitches until they see a strike. Unfortunately for Wang, it took the 4th pitch to 2 of the batters to see that strike.

77. CN - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Great hustle on the steal and move to 3rd (on a 5-3 put out), that'ss all Danny

78. jeffwx - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Nats advancing the runner all around the horn…Morse not as fast as Harper to 1st.

79. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Danny Espinosa manufactured that run!

80. phil dunton - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

CMW thinks he is pitching batting practice.

81. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Good old fashioned station to station baseball. Add to that – run hard to first even if you think you are out – you never know when they might make a bad throw. Baseball 101.

82. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Davey ran Espi on the first pitch to Zim to avoid the dp.

83. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Good point NatsJack and it would have been.

84. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Just snuck that HR over the fence. 5 feet to the right and it goes off of the high wall.DESI!!!!

85. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM

FP loves to talk batting mechanics. This is why TyMo should have played all 3 games against NYY. PLAY THE HOT HAND

86. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

CMW DO NOT RUN THE BASES.

87. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

MicheleS, a K takes care of the running part!

88. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Phew..CMW goes down flayling. good, not go back to the mound and stay on it.

89. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Gonat….5' to the right and it would have been in the third row.

90. Candide - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM

MicheleS said…good, not go back to the mound and stay on it.Wouldn't it be better if he got back into the dugout after say, five or six pitches…?

91. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM

And that's the way to protect your newly obtained lead. Walk the lead off guy on 4 straight.

92. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM

NatsJack, it didn't have the height from what I could see.

93. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Candide, it would be, but I just don't trust him not to hurt himself some how.

94. MicheleS - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM

GRRRRRRRRRR.

95. Gonat - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Wang is not going to be long for this team with this performance. Another night where his sinker is a stinker. That leadoff walk comes back to bite him.

96. baseballswami - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM

So it's going to be one of "those" nights…..

97. JaneB - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM

98. UnkyD - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Goodness…. This Wang business is deteriorating, fast…

99. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I am officially off the CMW bus.

100. Candide - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I guess we're going to find out pretty soon if the stint in the BP has helped Detwiler when he returns to the rotation.

101. Candide - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Good on Desmond AND Flores.

102. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM

JaneB said… Not a rhetorical question: why are we sticking with Wang? Somebody remind me, please. Really please. June 19, 2012 7:58 PM ___________________________Same reason as Matt Stairs last year. Spent a lot of money on him and egos "hope" he will come around eventually………….Let's HOPE

103. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Gonat…re the Desi HR… the tv camera feed for the Rays showed it did.

104. Will - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM

105. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Wang, come on. Another 3-0 count. Hoping Davey goes right to Detwiler so this game doesn't get away.

106. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

And we have our Detwiler Sighting..

107. Will - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

NatsJack, was there ever a bus to get on? It must have been the short bus, or maybe more like a Ford Pinto.

108. waddu eye no - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Lets go dess rotweiler

109. JaneB - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Sunk costs is a powerful idea, Will. I only had one foot on the CMW bus. Think Det was doing better till he feared losing his job. I hope he is seeing tonight that he (Det) maybe can get it back. Oooof. At this point, lost gameS is worth more than we are paying him.

110. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Such a shame. Should have been pulled 5 minutes ago at 3-2. What else do we need to see before you hand the game over to Tampa? Now 5-2 and inning still isn't over.

111. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I thought a man's home is his castle…. with 2 TV's in the house, my traitor son is a die hard O's fan and won't let me watch Nats on big screen… daughter is complaining that all I do is watch Nats and she wants to watch her show… my boss (wife) takes her side so I have to join you allI really thought Wang would get better, i was wrong, we need to find a 5th pitcher fast

112. Will - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

FFS, are we gonna see another DFA this week?By all accounts, we should.

113. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I have just about had my fill of CMW. He's my candidate to be this week's Brad Lidge.Have I told you all lately how much I hate soft-tossing, pitch-to-contact guys and their 390-foot pitches?

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Imwas not hapy game 50 when Wang replaced Detwiler, game 55 same, game 60 same, game 65 same. can anyone tell me with a straight face that Wang is better than Detwiler? I don't think so. Except maybe Rizzo and Johnson. Wang can take the Lidge route as far as I am concerned.

115. JaneB - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

That came out wrong. I mean, he is costing us more in lost games than his salary is worth,

116. Schumatrix - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Wang's terrible. DFA that guy immediately. I'd rather have Ross pitch any day.

117. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

So the English to spanish to Taiwanese translation: STOP WALKING PEOPLE! GEEEZUS WILL YOU GET AN OUT!

118. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM

4 straight at home with big crowds is unacceptable!!!

119. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Will said… Jane, because Rizzo has invested too much time and money to give up on Wang now that he's finally healthy.It might be a good idea to introduce the idea of "sunk costs" to Rizzo… June 19, 2012 8:03 PM ____________________________He did it on Lidge. Needs to do the same with Wang and figure out something with Henry. Not the future of this team.

120. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:08 AM

121. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Schumatrix said… Wang's terrible. DFA that guy immediately. I'd rather have Ross pitch any day. June 19, 2012 8:06 PM ______________________________You have a short memory. Ross wasn't great either although he was better than Wang. 4 starts is enough to tell you that he doesn't have it. Other choice is send Wang back on the DL. His sinker is not getting the spin down on it which makes it look like BP. One trick pony and the one trick isn't tricking anyone.

122. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Like I said, we need to win 2 of 3 at home verse Rays, this one is over, Strass and Gio have to get the next two. we can not go into Baltimore with a 6 game skid. My God, we are up 4 in division and can't take advantage of it, maybe we are not that good after all?

123. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM

may be Lannan is the guy all along?

124. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM

mick said… I guess davey is being as fair as he can be. Wang was a flop, we invested so much in him and it was a waste, live and learn. June 19, 2012 8:08 PM ___________________________He was fair to Henry at the expense of 24 other players and the fanbase.2 years ago that may have worked. Be fair to the W column now so we get a sniff of the playoffs.

125. Will - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Gonat, we didn't pay Lidge $3mil to rehab him for two whole seasons before dumping him this year. We've paid Wang nearly $5mil now for 15 crappy starts, and still owe him $2mil more. After all this, I'm sure Rizzo was hoping for more than 5 starts before having to cut the cord this year.In reality, he should have cut the cord in 2010.

126. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Mike Rizzo made a great call keeping CMW around for 3 years. Great signing!!! Where would we be without him? I've said it a million times before…I miss John Lannan!!! Rizzo has now missed on Wang, Lidge, Nady, DeRosa, Zimmerman contract and Werth contract. Morse could very well follow suit. The only thing he has done right was the Gio trade…and he had to give up 4 players to get him. Why does he never get criticized by the media in Washington? Take the 2 #1 draft picks off of this team, and they are in last place and well below .500.

127. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM

you cant be mad at management, we need to find this things out now. Lidge and Wang are simply flops, go with Det and Lannan the rest of the way. Nats need one more pitcher and one more bat to be champions, I really believe that. We may have that already in our farm system, maybe one free agent signing next season

128. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM

That was the pitch to Zim on the 1st pitch. A challenge fastball he swung through that was dead red center of the plate. Automatic DP

129. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Let the Zimm Pinata-bashing begin…

130. Schumatrix - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Ryan Zimmerman: the automatic GIDP. Unbelievable…

131. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Fear and Ignorance… without rizzo this franchise would be in last place like they were when that loser Bowden was GM.

132. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The double play machine strikes again! At least he's consistent.

133. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

look how many players other teams miss on

134. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Yup.. we are down by 3 and people come out of great beyond to post..

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM

texting with my friend at the game, that you know zim will hit into a double play. He said maybe we will get lucky and he will k, I won.When are we going to move him out of the three hole. Harper's on base percentage way over .370 and having someone who right now is useless behind him is not real bright.Once he heats up move him back.

136. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM

137. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM

so… is this Rosenbaum kid ready, lol?

138. Schumatrix - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Why in the world is Wang still out there?

139. UnkyD - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I love me some Mick! If he ran for Prez, he'd give his concession speech, if the first precinct, in the first state went against him…lol!!!

140. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM

in all fairness, it will only be panic time if Strass and Gio lose.

141. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Pop quiz: What's a three-word answered that means "to be Pattersoned?"C-H-I-E-N M-I-N-G W-A-N-G

142. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

It sure doesn't seem like anyone is having any trouble figuring Wang out. I have to think the staff is seeing this in his time between starts also. With arms coming off the DL soon he has to be the logical candidate to go. I would love – love – to see him succeed but it doesn't seem to be in the cards – if you are playing for this year then you can't keep wasting the start.

143. SCNatsFan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM

mick if you think Zim is an average player then you just started following this team

144. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Mick @8:19.. keep that in mind in case this goes crazy tonight.. Okay? I like when you are reasonable.and lls45, Sadly, you guessed right. lls45 said… MicheleS, I'm thinking the 4th inning, if we're lucky

145. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Unkyd..the way we are hitting right now, do you honestly think we will score 3 runs to tie and 4 to win and that is assuming we do not give up any more runs?? Yeah right, and Zim will turn it around and be the hero… I have a bridge in NY I would like to sell you lol

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I don't keep investing on things that don't bring returns, Wang starting brings little returns. Zim batting behind Harper brings little returns. harper is not the problem.

147. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Yes, Ross struggled some as a young pitcher will do in his first full season as a starter. The thing with him is that he has a future, not just a past reputation. If they bring him back as a starter again, they need to stick with it. He actually has the ability to still learn and improve. They can't just keep yo-yoing him around. And he needs to grow his hair back out – I'm serious – the haircuts are bad luck. And he needs cookies.

148. SonnyG10 - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

The Wang experiment must end now!!!! He's got to go!

149. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Michele.. Strass and Gio will come through

150. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

mick said… this is weird, in less than 5 days, all the flaws of the Nats are being exposed. I am done with Zim, no excuses, he is simply an average player June 19, 2012 8:17 PM _____________________________The Dodgers exposed the Nats and then the Nats got back on a winning streak.Wang just doesn't have it. Can't explain why he sinker isn't sinking. Zim is still in his slump. Rewind your TiVo to look at that 1st pitch fastball he blew by Zim. Michael Morse volunteered to move down in the batting order. Zim should've done the same as a team leader. He is not helping the team and is hurting the team.

151. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

why not Lannan?

152. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I hope your right Gonat

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM

154. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM

That "slider" Wangt hrew tonite was nothing more than an 84 mph dpinner.

155. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Mick.. Lannan might (and I said Might) be the same as CMW.

156. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM

so… Upton is a free agent after this season… um…. do you go after him and is he the missing offensive piece?

157. ehay2k - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Finally, our Wang Nationals nightmare is over!

158. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That "slider" Wangt hrew tonite was nothing more than an 84 mph dpinner.

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That "slider" Wangt hrew tonite was nothing more than an 84 mph dpinner.

160. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

It's still early. We have hit Price around a little bit. We need a nice come from behind win. Remember when we used to do that a lot?

161. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That "slider" Wangt hrew tonite was nothing more than an 84 mph dpinner.

162. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Okay.. i am taking the dogs for a walk (kind of like Mark leaving the press box). I hope the Nats will score.

163. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Michele.. however, i think Lannan was mentally affected by his demotion… he could become a wild man if given the chance

164. ehay2k - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

MicheleS, they are not the same as Lannan is a mediocre lefty. :-P

165. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Some people say coaching has little outcome on a game. You could see in the 3rd with the leadoff 4 pitch walk that Wang was toast. After the HR by Pena to give the 3-2 lead to Tampa it was surely time to pull Wang.Its on Davey sorry to say.

166. UnkyD - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM

……watch this……. ;-)

167. UnkyD - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM

…….nevermind……..:(

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM

We are didn't go to school on the Uanks I see still swinging at first pitches that we don't get hits with.

169. ehay2k - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM

UnkyD, were you calling the DP?

170. lls45 - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM

MicheleS said…and lls45, Sadly, you guessed right. I wish I hadn't been right…Maybe we'll see Detwiler starting the first inning on Sunday in Baltimore.

171. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… My nephew the optomotrists asked me if I thought Zim was not seeing the ball well. I said you are the expert, he said it shure looks like he isn't to him. Just a thought. June 19, 2012 8:25 PM _______________________________No doubt. It is that fine line between mechanics and in a player's head which sure includes not seeing the ball well.Until Zim improves his mechanics, the hits won't come in bunches. If players with bad mechanics get hits.He is in a slump and just hurting the team in that 3rd slot.

172. Candide - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Is it my imagination or area a lot of posters hitting the bourbon hard tonight? Spelling and punctuation here have gone to hell – I can hardly figure out what some people are posting.Usually it's just mick…

173. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Candide… Ive been fairly tame in my comments

174. JaneB - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Lannan was emotionally impacted by his demotion, but he seems to be doing better. And Det was good until Wang started to come back for rehab starts. So that was emotional, too. All I know is that Wang is getting killed. And what FP is saying makes sense: if you have only one true out pitch, all hitters have to do is look for it and swing the other times.Ross, win this job! Hold them to this five and whether we catch up or not, maybe you get the job back.For personal reasons, I really really want us to win this game tonight. It would so matter to a Nats fan I know who is probably here for his last game tonight. Got a big smile out of him when Ian hit the dinger.

175. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM

however, I am hiting the Corona's hard, lol

176. Candide - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

mick – true, that; you haven't started ranting too much yet.

177. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM

what did Davey say before the season if the Nats did not make post season… lol?

178. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM

What could have been tonight. One thing about my comments, I said them long before the results. Wang stayed in 5 to 7 batters too long.When you are carrying extra long men and coming off of a sweep, I think you have to be more reactionary. Wang didn't have anything going with his pitches tonight from the 1st batter of the game. He made a couple decent pitches and it could have been worse.

179. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Gonat… agreed, he did not have control of any of his pitches

180. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM

oh well, any more news on the Baltic Sea UFO? This could be the story of a lifetime!

181. Candide - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Heh. Det works the count better than a lot of the guys who are getting paid for their bats.

182. JayB - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM

These loses are on Rizzo and Davey who insist on trusted washed up Wang and Lidge. At lease Rizzo cuts them but not after major damage is done and Rizzo never admits he was wrong…..not that I care about that except Rizzo makes the same mistake year after year, Washed up vet after washed up vet. That is his weakest suit and it has cost the team at least 5 wins already.

183. CN - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Easy to feel down since the team's down 3 runs & in the midst of a 3 game losing streak. Criticizing Rizzo? That's a bit far-fetched IMO. Wang certainly deserves a lot of blame for this game, as does the untimely hitting of the offense, but not all hope is lost, sheesh.

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I am not a drinker, so I am not on the bourbon list. Just cheked the wires, and Wang hasn't been traded or DFA'd yet. I was sure it would be done by now. With Lidge it was a little slow too, I was way ahead of Rizzo on that one as I did it after Friday's game, he waied until after Satruday's game and about noon Sunday. Seems like an unnecessary delay to me. Lets get some Runs. The Mets got almost 30 truns against Tampa at tampa, why are we hesitating on doing the same.

185. phil dunton - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:52 AM

186. UnkyD - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM

UnkyD, were you calling the DP?————Nope, ideas calling the rally…. Hey, I doing the best I can, over here….!

187. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM

JayB, this seemed prudent to give Wang a start tonight and some rope. Davey just gave him too much rope in my opinion. How lucky was Wang to finish 2 innings and start the 3rd with a 2-1 lead?

188. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM

phil dunton said… If they give the starter job back to Detwiler, then they need to get CMW off the roster. June 19, 2012 8:52 PM _____________________________Agreed. Eat the money and move on.

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM

As I said Friday when Lidge came in Davey threw in the white flag, then on Saturday he threw it in again with Kidge, tonight he threw it in again when he brought in Wang. Too many white flags frome the manager.

190. baseballswami - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Long stretch coming up without an off day. Ross will be toast now. Not a good way to begin. CMW offers no flexibility and is way too high maintenance. Something, somehow needs to change.

191. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM

JayB… in fairness, the Nats had 6 innings after Petite left the game on Saturday to get one GD run and they failed, Davey had to go with Lidge at that point. I think Wang was worth a shot, in Spring training he was on fire. However, he ends up being a flop. Rizzo has saved the franchise and has made us a young competitive team.Having said that, I hope Zim long term deal was not a mistake and Morse was just a one year wonder Even an ill tempered lush like me recognizes the fact that as long as you have pitching your team will always contend. You can afford to take risks on other players if your pitching is tops. Nats need one more arm where as 80 of other teams need 3-4 arms. Where i k nock Davey is sticking too long with lost causes

192. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM

80%

193. JayB - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM

What has Wang shown in several years and several millions of dollars? Nothing….Nothing and more Nothing……Rizzo just wasted 3 years and development time for Ross D or some other younger pitcher…..THAT WAS DUMB and SO WAS LIDGE MOVE…he does it every year. It never plays out……washed up, injured has been players never work out.

194. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM

JayB… Rizzo is a hell of GM, I do not blame him. i will be all over him if he does not lock up Strass, Gio, J Zim, Bryce, Jackson, Clip and storen

195. Candide - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I wasn't on the Detwiler fan bus before he went to the BP, but he's pitching like he wants his old job back tonight.

196. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Rizzo needs to find that one big bat, either in minors or free agency… why not BJ Upton in 2013???

197. mick - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I will take Rizzo over 90% of other team GM's and needless to say Bowden was leading the Nats in to annual 110 loss seasons

198. MicheleS - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Well, walking the dogs didn't work.

199. Gonat - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Davey didn't put up with Stairs long after he took over. That was on Rizzo as I know the previous manager didn't want him.Is Rizzo calling the shots on DFA's and demotions? This year its Henry, Lidge, Nady, Wang, and the long slumps of Espi and Zim.You could see Espi wasn't ready in Spring Training. His excuses were pathetic. How did Nady even make this team? He wasn't on the 40 man and wasn't ready. Most people liked the Lidge signing and it didn't work. Henry has been a hack since the day Rizzo got him in a trade. Doubt Henry will change. Good Henry/Bad Henry ain't good enough the way I see it. Wang's numbers last year were up and down but didn't pitch on regular rest. 4th start and none of them have been good. Like I said, a 1 trick pony and the trick isn't tricking anyone.