Jun 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Veteran Koyie Hill is a career .210 hitter in parts of nine big-league seasons.
The Nationals have signed veteran catcher Koyie Hill to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Class AAA Syracuse.
Hill, 33, is a career .210 hitter in parts of nine seasons with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Cubs. After serving in a semi-regular capacity with Chicago the last three years, Hill appeared in only 11 games this season, hitting .179. He was designated for assignment last week and became a free agent after refusing an assignment to Class AAA Iowa.
After a run of injuries to Wilson Ramos, Sandy Leon and Carlos Maldonado, the Nationals found themselves thin on catchers at the minor-league level. Syracuse currently has a catching tandem of Jeff Howell and James Skelton, though Skelton just landed on the disabled list himself.
Hill, a switch-hitter, could wind up as the Nationals’ backup catcher at some point this season if the club feels the need for some veteran assistance for starter Jesus Flores.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense