Jun 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Veteran Koyie Hill is a career .210 hitter in parts of nine big-league seasons.
The Nationals have signed veteran catcher Koyie Hill to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Class AAA Syracuse.
Hill, 33, is a career .210 hitter in parts of nine seasons with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Cubs. After serving in a semi-regular capacity with Chicago the last three years, Hill appeared in only 11 games this season, hitting .179. He was designated for assignment last week and became a free agent after refusing an assignment to Class AAA Iowa.
After a run of injuries to Wilson Ramos, Sandy Leon and Carlos Maldonado, the Nationals found themselves thin on catchers at the minor-league level. Syracuse currently has a catching tandem of Jeff Howell and James Skelton, though Skelton just landed on the disabled list himself.
Hill, a switch-hitter, could wind up as the Nationals’ backup catcher at some point this season if the club feels the need for some veteran assistance for starter Jesus Flores.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday