Jun 19, 2012, 9:49 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has been a presence in the Nats dugout while on the DL.
Jayson Werth's broken left wrist is recovering well, and the Nationals right fielder remains on target to return to the club around August 1, perhaps earlier.
Werth, who suffered the injury May 6 while diving for a ball against the Phillies, is now six weeks removed from surgery to repair the clean break. The veteran outfielder spoke to manager Davey Johnson yesterday and expressed optimism about his recovery.
Werth's cast has come off, but he likely won't be able to resume baseball activities until mid-July. He'll then try to ramp things up quickly in an attempt to return to the Nationals' lineup for the final two months of the regular season.
"[Doctors will] probably need to X-ray it in a couple weeks, but they felt like he was coming along probably a little ahead of schedule," Johnson said. "But he's still probably not going to be able to do anything untilRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?