Jun 19, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has been a presence in the Nats dugout while on the DL.
Jayson Werth's broken left wrist is recovering well, and the Nationals right fielder remains on target to return to the club around August 1, perhaps earlier.
Werth, who suffered the injury May 6 while diving for a ball against the Phillies, is now six weeks removed from surgery to repair the clean break. The veteran outfielder spoke to manager Davey Johnson yesterday and expressed optimism about his recovery.
Werth's cast has come off, but he likely won't be able to resume baseball activities until mid-July. He'll then try to ramp things up quickly in an attempt to return to the Nationals' lineup for the final two months of the regular season.
"[Doctors will] probably need to X-ray it in a couple weeks, but they felt like he was coming along probably a little ahead of schedule," Johnson said. "But he's still probably not going to be able to do anything untilRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.