Maddon, Johnson ignite war of words

Jun 20, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT

Associated Press photo
Joe Maddon called out counterpart Davey Johnson following Tuesday's game.

The Great Pine Tar Incident of 2012 is over as far as Davey Johnson and Joe Maddon are concerned. The war of words between the two big-league managers, on the other hand, is just heating up.

One day after Rays reliever Joel Peralta was ejected before throwing a pitch in the bottom of the eighth inning for having an excessive amount of pine tar in his glove, the attention shifted to the two veteran managers, who traded verbal insults via the media and turned this already spicy story even hotter.

Following Tuesday night's game, Maddon directed his anger at Johnson, saying his counterpart's decision to have umpires check Peralta's glove based on information he got from the pitcher's ex-teammates with the Nationals was "real cowardly" and "kind of a [wuss] move."

Asked for his response on Wednesday, Johnson started off in a cordial manner, keeping his focus on the actual incident.

"My only comment to him is: 'Read the rule book,'" Johnson said. "It's simple. I've been involved in every conceivable kind of thing you canRead more »

1. Kind of a [wuss] Scooter - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Tee hee. This is the awesomest thing that's ever happened in my whole entire life.

2. Jimmy - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

"So if I'm a major-league player, in the very near future to want to come to play for the Nationals, I'd have to think twice about it."I think that is a perfect message to send to the league: if you cheat, don't bother coming to play for the Nationals. I endorse that message 100%.

3. peric - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I think the word "tweeter" is just about to enter the baseball lingo dictionary … could be bigger than Nyjer's "Beast Mode". Or Tweeter Swag …

4. RickH - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Jimmy … Amen!

5. JaneB - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I agree with Peric on the tweeter. It's Davey's but Maddon's use is what puts it over the top.But the bigger thing I want to say is I agree with Jimmy. It's a messed up set of unspoken rules that lets cheating go by, as long as no one says anything. That's how we lived so long in the steroid era.

6. NatsFanJim - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Baseball Celebrity Death Match: Davey vs. Maddon the Mega Tweeting, Whining Wuss.

7. natsfan1a - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Yeah, this is getting pretty interesting. That said, you're better than that on the name-calling, Joe, I don't care how big your tweeter is. ;-)

Mark joins Rob Carlin and Brent Harris every Thursday at 4 p.m. on Comcast SportsNet for a half-hour show on the Nats, Orioles and rest of MLB. Re-airs Thursdays at 11:30 p.m., Saturdays at 9 a.m. and Sundays at 11:30 a.m.

*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.