Jun 21, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez faces Matt Moore in tonight's series finale at Nationals Park.
How good has the 1-2 punch of Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez been this year? Well, consider that the Nationals' record when either of their aces starts is an astounding 22-5. (We'll ignore for a moment the fact they're 17-22 when anyone else starts.)
So the odds would appear to be in the Nats' favor for tonight's series finale against the Rays. Except that Gonzalez has lost two of his last three outings. And Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore has won his last three starts. Hmm…
As he's now prone to do when facing a left-hander, Davey Johnson is benching both Steve Lombardozzi and Adam LaRoche. It'll be Xavier Nady in left field and Tyler Moore at first base tonight.
One Rays note: Joel Peralta is expected to have his suspension handed down by MLB this afternoon, so there's a good chance the pine-tar-using reliever won't be available and his team will be down a man for this game.
Updates to come…
TAMPA BAY RAYS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 178
Weather: Mostly clear, 94 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury