Game 67: Rays at Nats

Jun 21, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez faces Matt Moore in tonight's series finale at Nationals Park.

How good has the 1-2 punch of Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez been this year? Well, consider that the Nationals' record when either of their aces starts is an astounding 22-5. (We'll ignore for a moment the fact they're 17-22 when anyone else starts.)

So the odds would appear to be in the Nats' favor for tonight's series finale against the Rays. Except that Gonzalez has lost two of his last three outings. And Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore has won his last three starts. Hmm…

As he's now prone to do when facing a left-hander, Davey Johnson is benching both Steve Lombardozzi and Adam LaRoche. It'll be Xavier Nady in left field and Tyler Moore at first base tonight.

One Rays note: Joel Peralta is expected to have his suspension handed down by MLB this afternoon, so there's a good chance the pine-tar-using reliever won't be available and his team will be down a man for this game.

Updates to come…

TAMPA BAY RAYS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 178
Weather: Mostly clear, 94 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. MicheleS - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM

GO GIO!!!!!! Go Tyler!! Go XNady give us at least 1 more chance to cheer you!! (I have to especially since we all have him DFA'd in about a week)GYFNG!!!!!!

2. Nats1924 - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Lets go Nats

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Kets get many hits tonight. Zim it is a lefty pitching time to break the slump.

4. alm - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Nat Gio – Lets rock and roll!GO NATS!

5. baseballswami - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Would be nice to see Nady showcase himself for a new job. No matter what Gio does, it's not about the pitching at this point. It's about the lack of hitting. And we can't just hope that Moore,( the pitcher, not the rookie 1B), has a bad outing, or inning. They have to actually hit good pitching to stay the course this season. So tonight I am going with GO HITTERS!!! Oh, Zim, please wake up. And bring your friend Mikey along with you. And how about some more good rookie stuff tonight, too? BHarp, Lombo and Moore –keep it up, guys!

6. CN - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Benching is such a strong word, can't we say that Davey's opting to use a RH-heavy lineup against the Ray's lefty?Nady is an interesting start though, but you've got to get all the guys some reps, especially the veterans.

7. natsfan1a - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Well, seeing as how things have a way of evening out, I'm thinking that Gio is due for a win. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Go, GIO!! Go, NATS!!Except that Gonzalez has lost two of his last three outings. And Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore has won his last three starts. Hmm…

8. Tcostant - Jun 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Remember in the spring Davey talked about giving LaRoche a lot of rest vs. lefties. Well, his hot start and Norse injury changed things 0 til now!

9. MicheleS - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

MLB‏@MLBBREAKING: Rays reliever Joel Peralta suspended 8 games for possessing a foreign substance on his glove on Tuesday. He has appealed.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Scooter said… Speaking of things to savor, you're on quite a roll. Plural of bag of balls, DLing healthy guys, too much to name 'em all. You may stay after and clean the erasers. June 21, 2012 3:20 PM From what I understand, the player can put in a complaint with the Players Union for a disputed DL stint.Most don't complain as it is the kiss of death if they do. I don't buy that Henry's hand or fingers were the problem, it was his head. Fix it if you can Mr. McCatty!!!

11. baseballswami - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

So if Peralta has put in an appeal, that means he is available again tonight? I am figuring his team will be angrier tonight now that they know he will be missing games. Pretty obvious that this was not a marginal offense.

12. CN - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

8 gm suspension for a reliever is equivalent to a 15-20 game ban for a starter. In past suspensions, a pitcher's frequency of playing was a part of the suspension. I wonder if the amount of pine tar found was a big factor also. In any case, our pitchers better have their gloves cleaned out by the clubhouse attendants.

13. A DC Wonk - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Continuing the discussion of HRod:Someone wrote:How can you trust this guy with a 1 or 2 run lead of a 1 or 2 run deficit.I wrote:Well, the short answer is: you can't trust him now, but at age 25 it's too early to decide that he'll never get it. It's just too much raw talent to not keep trying.Ghost Of Steve M. said..I will say it again, 1st place teams stay in 1st place when they don't put unqualified people into spots that will hurt their team.My response:And _I_ will say again (granted, I haven't said it this year, but did last year) that a GM's job is not just "this year" but "the next five years". That's how you build a dynasty. That's why you don't do things like sign a 10-year for Prince Fielder. And so they will do everything they can for HRod. Perhaps just DL (someone asked, did anyone answer, if DL can be used for psychological reasons); or perhaps stuck in mop-up only situations; whatever.But I think the Nats will do everything they can to keep him in the organization, based, again, on raw talent, plus his age.

14. A DC Wonk - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Hey — who's going to the game tonight and where will be you be?!I'll be in a group of *twelve* (including my baseball-student-17-year-old-daughter) in Sec 307.

15. jeffwx - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM

My friend and I will be in the hot seats (in the sun all day ) in 135…ouch

16. baseballswami - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM

17. Mickey Vernon - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I'll be in Sec. 134. GONATS!

18. A DC Wonk - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Hey, DCWonk – have fun tonight. Even though there were dire weather warnings yesterday it wasn't bad at the game. Seems like there is always a breeze. Thanks. You can be sure that I picked seats that will be in the shade!jeffwx — 135?! — well, sunset is around 8:30 these days ;-)

19. natsfan1a - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Don't forget to hydrate, all of y'all who are going.

20. Steady Eddie - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Nah, I was in 135 last night with my older (28 y.o.) daughter — apart from a little sun in the eyes until it went behind the 3d deck in the bottom of the 1st IIRC, it was surprisingly much less uncomfortable than I expected.Much lower humidity than it generally is in DC with those kinds of summer temps, so it really wasn't oppressive. I'm up in 311 tonight with a couple of friends so also hoping for some gentle breezes off the river…?

21. A DC Wonk - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Steady Eddie — where in 311? Perhaps we'll try to stop by!

22. A DC Wonk - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM

natsfan1a said… Don't forget to hydrate, all of y'all who are going.I can hear Mrs Wonk right now — asserting that: "drinking beer is hydrating, right?"

23. baseballswami - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

If you find yourself behind one of the giant groups of teens wearing matching shirts in town from other states – run. If you are sitting behind them you will not be able to see anything because they are standing up the entire time. They were only slightly aware that anything was happening on the field. We moved, but it was hard to avoid them – they left after the 7th. Yes, they are cheap tickets – but we like it up there, it's breezy and you can actually see well, and it makes financial sense. But we have never seen a vendor or an usher. Seriously, guys – switch seats.

24. jeffwx - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Yes, the dewpoints are in the 60s…real DC heat starts with dewpoints in the mid 70's to around 80…too bad I still don't drink alcohol so other beverages will have to do. Unfortunately, I sit the next to the Nats Crazy clown guy (row C) who insists on running up and down the row after a homerun thereby knocking over everything and everyone in site. Hopefully, beers will be a flyin.Go Nats!!!

25. Candide - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM

26. Candide - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Mad dogs and Englishmen Go out in the midday sun. The toughest Burmese bandit Can never understand it. In Rangoon The heat of noon Is just what the natives shun, They put their Scotch Or Rye down And lie down. In a jungle town Where the sun beats down To the rage of man and beast, The English garb Of the English sahib Merely gets a bit more creased. In Bangkok At twelve'o'clock They foam at the mouth and run, But mad dogs and Englishmen Go out in the midday sun. — Noel Coward I am neither a mad dog nor an Englishman. I shall therefore watch tonight's game from the cool comfort of my TV room, whilst sipping a gin and tonic. Or two. Or three. And with each sip, I shall raise a toast to the army of the British East India Company in India, who invented the drink, for medicinal purposes. Cheerio!

27. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Derek Norris just threw out Dee Gordon, the first steal attempt in his ML career.

28. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM

That would be the first attempt against Derek.

29. Steady Eddie - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

DCWonk — Row H.jeffwx — I was a little concerned about our 21 game package seats being in the row right behind Tripp (though fortunately on the home plate side so he's not popping up like a jack-in-the-box in front of us), but he's really OK. Mildly entertaining, and most important considerate in that he ALWAYS sits down before the next pitch. Would that the self-involved jerks standing around chatting with their friends or talking loudly on their cells — or the kids swami mentioned — were as considerate.

30. NatsFanChris - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Would love to see Gio regain his form tonight. He has an ERA over 4.20 and far too many walks in his last 3.Stay hot Tyler Moore! GYFNG

31. 7b533db0-bbf4-11e1-83c2-000bcdcb5194 - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

According to baseball reference.com, the nats are 27,155 away from the one million mark in attendance this year. Will they make it tonight?

32. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

my cousin tried to persuade me to go to the game (doesn't happen often) but I didn't because of weather. it is insane out there.hope we continue on another winning streak.Saw Norris' video also. Cool for his debut. Wish him well.

33. baseballswami - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Well, that went well…….

34. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Watching Zim bat is beyond frustrating that a Rookie falls behind 2-0 and then throws 3 consecutive fastballs that Zim swung through and missed at.Yes, Zim needs to bat 7th

35. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Gio needs to try that high fastball. He lives on the bottom of the strike zone but the high strikes work too.

36. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Tale of this inning. Don't walk the lefty Matsui.

37. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

7:19 p.m. — Ryan Zimmerman managed to work the count a bit but still struck out … and was greeted with a few boos as the first inning came to a close._________________________________Wow, a few boos.

38. MicheleS - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Is the ump sqeezing Gio? In Sec 131 and can't tell.

39. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

MicheleS, he blew 1 strike against Pena real bad. The rest are 1/2 a ball low.

40. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Perfect game is over.

41. baseballswami - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM

He is not missing by much on some of them but some are waaay off. He let it get his goat, though. Once again, it won't matter if our hitters don't start getting it together. Desi took some pitches,TMo walked. A good sign?

42. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I thought Tyler Moore didn't get walks? I think he has 3 in the last week. Respect to a legit power hitter. Bat Moore 2nd, Bryce 3rd and Zim 7th.

43. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

No hitter is over.

44. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Nats quickly 0-2 w/ RISP

45. Drew - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

At least they're making Moore work. He's at 40 pitches after two innings.

46. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM

What a play by Desi on that chopper from Upton.

47. Candide - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Nice 1-2-3 top of the third. Did the Rays and Nats switch unis?

48. Gonat - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Matsui batting .164 and caused all the problems in the 2nd for Gio when he walked him to lead off the 2nd inning.Gio all season has been his own worse enemy with these lead-off walks

49. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Oppo Boppo time!!!!

50. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Should Zim be bunting……

51. phil dunton - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM

DP from the DP machine??

52. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

….or a 3 run jack?

53. Another_Sam - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Three words for RZ — ADVANCE THESE RUNNERS!!!

54. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

or a 1st pitch out of strike zone strike 1 swinging and a strike 2 swing and miss. Yeesh

55. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

What Zim did swinging at the 1st pitch after a walk was just a cry of desperation. Real sad and the darn ball was out of the zone.Please Davey, how much does this guy have to hurt this team? The bunt would have helped if you are going to K or GIDP

56. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

57. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Candide said… Zimmerman has made contact only twice tonight – both foul balls. He's going to hear a lot more booing if he doesn't figure things out soon. June 21, 2012 8:10 PM ________________________________I don't like boo'ing your own players. Davey has to get the #*$&# to move him to 7th in the order.

58. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM

At least he didn't go down on three pitches or hit into a dp.

59. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Good analysis of Upton's throw by FP.

60. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

61. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I love this kid Ian Desmond. This team has 8 guys on the field thinking team team team and 1 guy saying we we we but hasn't said the words Morse said to Davey on Sunday. Even if he said it now, it would be meaningless. An after thought.

62. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM

C'man Nady, chance for a big inning – don't blow it.

63. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Spoke too soon.

64. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Nady crushed that ball and nothing to show for it. I think that is the furthest he's hit a ball considering his 1st HR was a 370 ft wall scraper.

65. Schumatrix - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I'm getting to the point to where I'm glad to see Zim K because he's an auto 6-4-3. I'm really, really concerned about him. However, how awesome has Desi been this year? Mr. Clutch, and where did this power come from?

66. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Good crowd tonight in spite of the heat.

67. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

68. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Candide said… Gonat, I don't boo my team. I also don't do the wave. Doesn't mean other people don't and won't do it. June 21, 2012 8:15 PM _____________________________I knew what you meant. I'm referring to the people who will do that but including most of NatsTown, everyone is frustrated and so is Zim.Best thing would be a 15 day DL, get his mind cleared, get some real rehab where he can find his swing and come back.

69. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM

baseballswami said… At least zim doesn't take his hitting to third base with him. It's like having 2 pitcher's spots. 3 when Danny is hitting from the left. June 21, 2012 8:23 PM _______________________________I am laughing and unfortunately it is true.

70. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Yeah, if Z's shoulder is hurting him, it's not showing when he's throwing.

71. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Gio's smiling again. I'm feeling a little better.

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM

73. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Good news Zim leads off next inning which means no double-play

74. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… baseballswami, Strasburg and JZim are hitting better than RZ right now.Let's get some positive vibes in Zim's direction. June 21, 2012 8:33 PM ________________________________Good point on the pitchers. EJax can handle the bat also.Of course we all want Zim to get off the schnide.

75. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM

76. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Gio climbed the ladder on the 1-2. Didn't get the K but who cares because Desi gets a WebGem on Jennings.

77. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM

BTW, great scoop by Tyler Moore.

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I love being wrong sometimes. Tyler Moore has shown soft hands at 1st. Has he been coached up by LaRoche?

79. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM

80. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Zim will hit an ambush HR here

81. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:42 AM

baseballswami said… I love zim. It's not really his slump that I find annoying right now. I know he is low key but I see zero competitive fire from him. I know he cares but he doesn't even look upset at anything, is he really that stoic?Could be. There was a game a month or two ago when Znn got pulled while trailing something like 3-2. Guy is as stoic as they come. But when he got into the dugout, the camera followed him in and you could hear him scream an f-bomb.

82. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM

baseballswami said… Last night BHarp and Lombo with great catches, tonight Moore with a pick – love me some rookies. June 21, 2012 8:41 PM ____________________________Can't say it enough that these 3 rooks have won multiple ballgames for this team.

83. The Retired Journalist - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Teddy WINS!!! Well, in a sense he does. I'm at home in Florida where tonight's viewer text poll on the Rays' TV broadcast asked which of the Racing Rushmores would win tonight's Main Event. Teddy came in first with 36 pct. of the total votes cast.Oh, if only those poor voters knew. (SIGH)

84. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM

One K away from a golden sombrero..

85. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Gonat said… Zim will hit an ambush HR here June 21, 2012 8:41 PM __________________________OK, tried positivity for RZim. Didn't work. At least he made contact on 2 fouls. :0(

86. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM

It would seem that even the worst hitters would accidentally run into one once in a while. Sigh at least a k is better than a dp.

87. rogieshan - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I truly hope it's just a slump.

88. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM

8:33 p.m. — It truly is staggering just how much better contact Espinosa makes from the right side of the plate vs. the left side. He just crushed a double down the left-field line in the bottom of the fourth, yet another impressive hit from the right side.______________________________________How silly did he make many in NatsTown look with his "batters eye" alibi in Spring Training? Many took the bait or the hamate bone reasoning.Mechanics is mechanics and until he changes that and his high strike zone swings he won't greatly improve from the left-hand side. Yes, he has shown the ability to be on a hot streak from the left-side but those streaks haven't lasted long.

89. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Would Madden try a squeeze?

90. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Time for Gio to get a much needed K

91. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I love zim. It's not really his slump that I find annoying right now. I know he is low key but I see zero competitive fire from him. I know he cares but he doesn't even look upset at anything, is he really that stoic?I dunno, Swami, he looks like he could bite the heads off live chickens to me, looking at his eyes as he goes back to the dugout. I know that look. Stoic is as good a word as any for it, but I think he's just not an extroverted guy.

92. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

The thing I don't get with the switch hitting splits is that he should at least be determining balls and strikes the same way. That's what I don't get about Espi. About Zim – maybe he needs to hit bottom? And this could be it? Truly puzzling and very sad to watch. I never thought I would see Ryan Zimmerman getting booed by our fans at Nats Park. Is this Boston or Philadelphia?

93. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:55 AM

94. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Great point from FP and Bob, where is the killer curveball?

95. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I think this is Gio's first game in any kind of East Coast heat.The weather has been pretty cool for early summer up until now. Looks to me like his hands are super sweaty and he is having grip troubles. Maybe little pine tar in the glove? Oh- no, maybe not.

96. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Bye bye Matt Moore. See you in the World Series.

97. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I hope so , Gonat – that will mean that the Rays have defeated the Evil Empire, the Texas Rangers, and Pujols and co. Looks like Moore is out of the game. Let's see what we do with that. Peralta again? A pitcher who has no need to hold back because he knows he is going to be getting some rest soon?

98. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Thank you Gio. Aggressive. You saved yourself from a bad inning getting worse with that power fastball on the black.

99. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Truth. In the first inning did you think that Gio would still be in the game in the sixth and that the rays would only have 2?

100. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Gonat on that Strike 3 Gio smacked Flores mitt. Didnt move the mitt an inch.

101. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Tyler Moore would be a more effective #3 hitter to give Zim a long rest and Harper some protection.

102. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Need a shark attack here. Just need him on base.

103. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Espi is the hero now. Lefty, uh hum, don't walk the guy in front of him.

104. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Take that, Mr. Greaseman.

105. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Yea Danny!!!!! I don't know about you guys but koolaid on a hot night tastes really good!!!

106. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Lol Sunshine… So nice to see Danny do that. Zim, you watching Danny? You watching TMo take a billion pitches tonight?

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Greasey tar sleeve gets hit hard.

108. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Come on Stammen. Really, a walk to start your inning?

109. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Nats need some of the Zim GIDP right now.

110. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

It's like The Hothouse, by Harold Pinetar.

111. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Joel Peralta's new nickname is Tar-zan

112. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I got an endorsement deal for him.

113. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Craig my man, you can't walk the leadoff man. That is twice recently you did that. Jennings is batting .244 and you pitch him like a .344

114. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:43 AM

OK, outs all over the place now. Catch a ball, tag a base.

115. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I feel like i am having a root canal right now with all these walks

116. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I have an uncontrollable urge to scream. Is it really wise for Davey to blow 3 pitchers in one inning? Argggggggggh!

117. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Mattheus now the hero of the game. Sorry Danny!

118. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Davey doesn't have much choice if the first two guys can't find the strike zone with a GPS. And Mattheus was one more effing breaking ball from walking in a run.

119. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Talk about feeling like you're having a root canal–That's gotta be how he's feeling at the plate.

120. Candide - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

No golden sombrero for Ryan tonight!

121. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Mike Gonzalez with a slider with 7 inch break isn't getting the lefty to bite. Have we seen enough or is there anything else?

122. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Zim in low leverage with a nice AB.

123. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Horrible K call on Morse. WTH is the ump looking at?

124. SCNatsFan - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Optioms or not I don't see how Stammen and Matrheus don'y stay on the big club

125. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM

All the home plate calls have gone against the Nats. You can't give 2 balls off of the plate a K call.

126. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM

What is Zim doing sliding head first?Somebody get the bubble wrap…

127. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM

@MicheleS: Can I mix a little bourbon and Maalox with your koolaid?

128. mick - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Gonat … agreed on the HP ump, terrible

129. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Especially when a previous pitch in the exact same place was a ball. Nice to see zim on base. And stealing. But head first? Has anyone else noticed that zim has some kind of bandage on his hand?

130. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Yep, a shark attack! Who sent Ankiel? That's embarrassing how far he was out.Bo does get a pass after his hops on the errant throw last night.

131. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Why didn't Rick slide?

132. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:07 AM

baseballswami, he was so far away from the plate that you put up the white flag.

133. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Because he was only halfway to home when he was out?

134. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM

PINE Tar …Nothing but PINE Tar …If they should find tar, How great would that be?

135. Moose - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM

136. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM

mick said… Gonat … agreed on the HP ump, terrible June 21, 2012 10:01 PM _____________________________Hate to see a pitch missed by that much on a 4 seam fastball. I could understand a wicked hook but a 4 seamer?No excuse.

137. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:10 AM

So he finally gets on base and then he makes the third out at home. I know that bo sent him but he could have tried .

138. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM

But all of your answers were very entertaining!

139. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Philthies lost and the Red Sox with a 3 run 8th to take the lead in Beantown

140. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I don't have too much problem with Ankiel going there. The ball was bobbled in the outfield, and the TB D hasn't been that good. You're up 3, late, and Bo likes to push it along.

141. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM

And that's what running looks like, when Rick is doing it.

142. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Moose said… He didn't slide because he would have ended up 3 feet short of home like the GEICO caveman, butt-scooting to get to the plate… June 21, 2012 10:09 PM _____________________________Love it. A MOOSE sighting which means the Bull Moose, Tyler Moose, Beast Moose, Ramoose, and the Mooseketeers are close!

143. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:18 AM

FP: "Danny Espinosa playing out of his uniform tonight."Currently Strawberry Blonde Cubs Fan Wife: "I wouldn't turn away."

144. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Sofa.. i agree with strawberry blonde cubs fan 100%

145. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Yeah, but if you had to pick … gotta go with Roger, no?

146. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Fp has a way with words.

147. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Marlins just lost!

148. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Nope Danny all the way.

149. djinFl. - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:24 AM

@ the ladies eyes are up here!

150. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Very satisfying Win. This is why the Wang meltdown was real bad as the Nats are much better than this configured Tampa team.

151. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM

40th Culy W

152. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Did we ever hear an attendance figure?

153. djinFl. - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:30 AM

29,951

154. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Wow, Danny's not much taller than Kristina.

155. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Thanks, DJ.

156. mick - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:36 AM

on to play the BaltiMORONS, lol

157. mick - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM

almost 30,000 tonight… any doubt that DC is not a baseball town should be wiped out. When Tampa went to the WS, they did not even draw 10,000 on a week night

158. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM

"WOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011.)And it's onto Ball-mer.

159. mick - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM

hope R Zim's hit is a start for the weekend

160. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM

It's a front-runner town. They'll show up for a winner. When they stop getting up in the middle of an at-bat, I'll reconsider.

161. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Last night at the park, tonight on tv-end of the game, big crowd chanting-just gives me chills. Yes!!!!!!!

162. mick - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:46 AM

swami and soul… not yet like Yankee stadium, but getting there

163. Gonat - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Soul, 1,002,000

164. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:52 AM

It's getting better, no question.

165. Unknown - Jun 22, 2012 at 3:58 AM

This DC is a front-runner town stuff is nonsense. Folks still flock to Skins games after 20 years and counting of futility, the Caps have drawn despite failing in the only part of the NHL season that matters year after year after year, the Wizards draw way beyond what their 30+ years of sorry records deserve and the Nats have finished higher in attendance than their record every season but 2 and one of those was the final year in RFK when NOTHING, NOTHING was done to improve the fan experience or celebrate baseball in DC or the Senators. DC was, is and will be a good sports town. Don't give me Boston and St. Louis and Pittsburgh – those teams have had about 500 winning seasons and loads of championships in the past 510 sports seasons. Funny how all the "great sports towns" are perennial winners. Human nature is human nature – winners draw, losers don't. Enough already, let us Nats fans enjoy the win tonight! If the keep getting Curly W's the fans will show up — in droves.

166. Scooter - Jun 22, 2012 at 4:51 AM

I'm glad I came to the game thread late enough to see that picture at the end. Very sweet. Good man, Mark Zuckerman.

167. natsfan1a - Jun 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Me, too, on the picture. Thanks for sharing, Mark. (Hi, Isabella and Courtney! :-))

168. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Mark, thanks for sharing the picture! HI Isabella!!!!!